Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Coding Advice - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Coding Advice (2717 Views)

School Or Coding? Advice Needed / CODELAGOS: 337 Schools To Participate In Coding Competition / Hardwork Beat Talent When Talent Do Not Hustle (coding Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:32am On Aug 17, 2019
Dear all,
my name is Augusta Ehihebolo, a graduate of mechanical engineering; considering the rate of unemployment in our dear country and with the knowledge that coding is the future, I need your advice, training center recommendation, and any support you can offer to help me become an outstanding coder within a very short time.
My computer knowledge is average, I know absolutely nothing about coding/programming but I am a fast learner.
I want to become an Android developer, trust me I have heard how difficult it is but I love challenges.
Prior to this time, I have thought of learning some programming languages but all to no avail as I had a lot of distractions and confusion. I am ready now, my mind is made up; just help a sister pleassssss and I promise you will be proud of me very soon.

Please don't pass this post without your part of contribution teach. It's really not easy here. Thanks in anticipation, God bless you all

2 Likes

Re: Coding Advice by nappy760(m): 8:43am On Aug 17, 2019
Have you heard of Andela Learning Community(ALC)? It's organized by Andela to bring together youths interested in programming /software development.It's held every year since 2017 which was the first one .
It's presently ongoing so its year is kinda late already .There make use of online platforms for the learning and provide access to tutorials that might be normally paid for free.You can also check out meet up groups in your vicinity that are into programming.
meetup.com
I think what you need is just directions on where and what to start with but the best way to master it is self-learning which is what I am presently doing. ;
;Di am also a wannabe-programmer
Re: Coding Advice by Johnmattee(m): 8:43am On Aug 17, 2019
Just start from somewhere
Re: Coding Advice by SeedofDavid: 8:44am On Aug 17, 2019
Eaugusta:
Dear all,
my name is Augusta Ehihebolo, a graduate of mechanical engineering; considering the rate of unemployment in our dear country and with the knowledge that coding is the future, I need your advice, training center recommendation, and any support you can offer to help me become an outstanding coder within a very short time.
My computer knowledge is average, I know absolutely nothing about coding/programming but I am a fast learner.
I want to become an Android developer, trust me I have heard how difficult it is but I love challenges.
Prior to this time, I have thought of learning some programming languages but all to no avail as I had a lot of distractions and confusion. I am ready now, my mind is made up; just help a sister pleassssss and I promise you will be proud of me very soon.

Please don't pass this post without your part of contribution teach. It's really not easy here. Thanks in anticipation, God bless you all
Try python first, YouTube is your best bet. Where are the professionals when we need them?
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:46am On Aug 17, 2019
SeedofDavid:

Try python first, YouTube is your best bet. Where are the professionals when we need them?
Thanks
Re: Coding Advice by Johnmattee(m): 8:46am On Aug 17, 2019
Start with JS first!
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:50am On Aug 17, 2019
nappy760:
Have you heard of Andela Learning Community(ALC)? It's organized by Andela to bring together youths interested in programming /software development.It's held every year since 2017 which was the first one .
It's presently ongoing so its year is kinda late already .There make use of online platforms for the learning and provide access to tutorials that might be normally paid for free.You can also check out meet up groups in your vicinity that are into programming.
meetup.com
I think what you need is just directions on where and what to start with but the best way to master it is self-learning which is what I am presently doing. ;
;Di am also a wannabe-programmer
I heard of that Andela from a friend and when I tried to register it was late. I want to be doing some practice before the next registration. You are very correct @ bolded lines. Thanks so much for your contribution, it sure will go a long way
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:51am On Aug 17, 2019
Johnmattee:
Just start from somewhere
Yea thanks but which language should I start with?
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:54am On Aug 17, 2019
Johnmattee:
Start with JS first!
OK, thanks bunch
Re: Coding Advice by nappy760(m): 8:55am On Aug 17, 2019
I would suggest HTML, CSS and JS......HTML is more like the body in which other programs can be implemented within.Although HTML is not a programming language...it's just a Markup language but it will give you a feel for pressing the keyboard grin,lol...hence getting you used to programming.
With the little stuff I have learnt so far though I would really suggest you start with Windows Command Prompt..
Google search " Windows command -line administration instant reference"pdf.
If you can get this material and just work on the first chapter.
You don't need any software or anything...all you need is your system...command line is part of windows.
It would really help you when you start learning any programming language.
Re: Coding Advice by Johnmattee(m): 8:55am On Aug 17, 2019
Eaugusta:

Yea thanks but which language should I start with?
you can start with JS or Python.
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 8:56am On Aug 17, 2019
Johnmattee:
you can start with JS or Python.
OK, thanks so much
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 9:00am On Aug 17, 2019
nappy760:
I would suggest HTML, CSS and JS......HTML is more like the body in which other programs can be implemented within.Although HTML is not a programming language...it's just a Markup language but it will give you a feel for pressing the keyboard grin,lol...hence getting you used to programming.
With the little stuff I have learnt so far though I would really suggest you start with Windows Command Prompt..
Google search " Windows command -line administration instant reference"pdf.
If you can get this material and just work on the first chapter.
You don't need any software or anything...all you need is your system...command line is part of windows.
It would really help you when you start learning any programming language.
OK, I will sure search for it. Thanks bunch, this means a lot to me
Re: Coding Advice by nappy760(m): 9:16am On Aug 17, 2019
Eaugusta:

OK, I will sure search for it. Thanks bunch, this means a lot to me

Don't mention...Just keep us posted
Re: Coding Advice by MasterGramnet(m): 10:09am On Aug 17, 2019
A Java Expert Will Tell U The Same, A C++ Expert Will Tell U The Same, A 100 Language Programmer Will Tell U The Same Making U More Confuse, First, Why Not Sit On It, Make Some Findings And Determine What U Want, There're Many Departments In Programming & So U Want Android Development Programming Which Is Difficult & More Confusing As A Starter, Also Time, Energy & Money Consuming But U'll Succeed If U're Determine. In Andriod Development Is Java Programming & Others, So, U Shuld Know Where To Start Or As I Said Can Succeed If U Try. O Yes!!!. I Wish I Can Be Of Help For More Infos.
Re: Coding Advice by Badilstical(m): 11:16am On Aug 17, 2019
Best advice is decide what exactly you will like to build and the language stack, I recommend stack prep up with front-end, html, css then javascript and warning is not a journey for fainted heart you have put in slot of resources. YouTube, udemy etc are your material resources, we here can help you when you get stuck.
Also make sure you learn git and push your code to enable experience programmer help you remote.
Anything more you keep us update here.
Best of luck in pursuit

I recommed you install Linux(ubuntu) as is the best programming os so far

Also tips when get stuck google it, learn how to google it might sound funny but some people don't know how to google, no boyfriend, make stackoverflow your new love, I see you succeed
Re: Coding Advice by ovoSoft: 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2019
It seems people are missing the line where she said; " I want to become an Android developer,".....and the advice is start with js, html, css, python, these are all a waste of time in the Android world.

To be an android developer start with java and learn kotlin after that, but start making apps with the little java knowledge and learn along.

Do not believe the myth that java is hard (its lazy people that spread this). I read biochemistry in the University ....came out, learnt java within a year .....and now I make top notch android apps.

If you are determined, and you are really sure of android development as your thing do not waste ya time learning languages that you won't need as an android developer.

1 Like

Re: Coding Advice by Johnmattee(m): 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2019
ovoSoft:
It seems people are missing the line where she said; " I want to become an Android developer,".....and the advice is start with js, html, css, python, these are all a waste of time in the Android world.

To be an android developer start with java and learn kotlin after that, but start making apps with the little java knowledge and learn along.

Do not believe the myth that java is hard (its lazy people that spread this). I read biochemistry in the University ....came out, learnt java within a year .....and now I make top notch android apps.

If you are determined, and you are really sure of android development as your thing do not waste ya time learning languages that you won't need as an android developer.
wow! that's cool
Re: Coding Advice by nappy760(m): 4:22pm On Aug 17, 2019
ovoSoft:

Without the basic knowledge of html , even in Android development; use of xml which is a markup language also in Android development is inevitable.
Re: Coding Advice by ovoSoft: 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2019
^^ Android studio has made its drag and drop feature so easy that you don't need to be an expert in xml, after a few practice you will get the hang of how xml (in Android) is used. Knowing html then xml then developing android app is a solid waste of time, by the time she is done android has moved on
Re: Coding Advice by Eaugusta(f): 5:09pm On Aug 17, 2019
I'm still following, noting down every contribution and doing some research too. Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far, your contributions will go a long way in my journey
Re: Coding Advice by MasterGramnet(m): 5:18pm On Aug 17, 2019
Unfortunatly, We Can't Make It Straight because All Head/Humans Are Not Equal. <><> In Android Development Is Java Programming & Others, Also We Can Develop Android Apps With C++, C, C#, Python, Html(5)/CSS/Javascript Etc, But Android Development Is Difficult Mostly The One Purely With Java, But That Doesn't Mean It Is Impossible To Achieve. For More Conviniency(App), Java Is The Best But Not Good because Of The Future. As In The Present, Every Programmer Are Unique In Thier Own Specialization. Let Her Go For One, It's All Left 4her To Decide.

1 Like

Re: Coding Advice by MasterGramnet(m): 5:33pm On Aug 17, 2019
Yes, Perfectly, The Latest(Future) Technology Is The Android Studio, Even In Web Designing, We Have Drag & Drop But Did That Stop People From Using Html/CSS & Others, Instead, The Market Value Of Using Html/CSS & Others Increased. As I Said It All Depend On Her.

1 Like

Re: Coding Advice by spoilerx: 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2019
if u are interested in building android apps, u should start with Java or kotlin , preferably kotlin.

1 Like

Re: Coding Advice by BoleAndFish: 11:47am On Aug 20, 2019
Great. One advice: give it your time.

1 Like

Re: Coding Advice by iCode2: 11:48am On Aug 20, 2019
Hi, Eaugusta. Have you started your learning process? I'm just starting out to learn now. We could team up and inspire each other.
Re: Coding Advice by JeffreyLiaison(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2019
Eaugusta:
Dear all,

It's hard to see a lady these day's going into coding in Nigeria but I may be wrong.
My advice is that if you have cash and internet connection, then go to Udemy.com or udacity.com

Udemy gives you the best intensive video programming lessons but at a fee
Udacity does the same but sometimes it is free and you can obtain a nano degree on Udacity.

Since people like me don't have the money, I download e-books I see online.

I am 16 and I am an intermediate Java programmer and web-developer.

I learnt Java from Java How To Program 9th edition, by dietel, you can search for the pdf online
I also used Joyce Farrell Java Programming pdf

For web dev my best advice is Brad Traversy's Udemy's course.
I learnt HTML and CSS under 3 days

Learn Java because with it you can design web apps, desktop apps and even Android apps.

if it is for iOS learn Objective C

I want to learn Javascript and python now but I don't have any data

3 Likes

Re: Coding Advice by spyglaxx: 6:29am On Aug 21, 2019
Above all download pomodoro app to kill laziness and procrastination ...which are the thieves of destiny.
Re: Coding Advice by spyglaxx: 6:31am On Aug 21, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:

It's hard to see a lady these day's going into coding in Nigeria but I may be wrong.
My advice is that if you have cash and internet connection, then go to Udemy.com or udacity.com

Udacity does the same but sometimes it is free and you can obtain a nano degree on Udacity.

I learnt Java from Java How To Program 9th edition, by dietel, you can search for the pdf online

Learn Java because with it you can design web apps, desktop apps and even Android apps.

For real?
Re: Coding Advice by JeffreyLiaison(m): 6:33am On Aug 21, 2019
spyglaxx:

For real?

What's wrong, cause I am 16
Re: Coding Advice by spyglaxx: 6:58am On Aug 21, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:

What's wrong, cause I am 16
are you on discord?
Re: Coding Advice by Olalekank(m): 8:19am On Aug 21, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:

This is quite impressive!

Can you talk about some of the stuffs you have built with Java

(1) (2) (Reply)

600,000 Lines Of String From A Text File(java Scanner ) / Learn Python With Kash / Genrating Crystal Report With Mysql Database In A Vb.net Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.