Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,320 members, 7,836,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa (17619 Views)

The Trials Of Love (clean/christian Romance) / " The Trials Of Maclean Agu" A Story By Hydronium / Trials Of A Mad Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by naptu2: 10:12am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

Bro you don't know me, same way the OP doesn't know Chris Abani. I will not share my real name with you. All the op wrote here are lies and I simply will not stand for it. Tribalism and ethnicity has eaten deep into the bones of Nigerians. If the truth I speak sounds like insult to you then so be it

The article was actually written by Ikheloa Ikhide in 2011. Ikhide is a well known writer. I very much doubt that the OP (that is, the person that created this thread) is Ikhide Ikheloa.

The article went viral again yesterday because Ikhide shared it after the news of the arrest of the Invictus guy. Many news outlets and blogs have republished the article.

Ikhide has been attacking Chris Abani online for a long time.

It kind of reminds me of the battle between Professor Wole Soyinka and Professor Ali Mazrui in the 1990s.

http://www.praxismagonline.com/writivism2015-ikhide-ikheloa-speaks/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by vanunu: 10:18am On Aug 18, 2019
Abani was detained. His father was a former principal of Holy Ghost college Owerri.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 10:24am On Aug 18, 2019
superlanny:
The day we learn how to mind our business, we are doing ourselves a ton of good. Just stfu..
don't mind the useless OP. Nigeria has done more damage to Nigerians he should talk about that and work towards a way out. Instead he's talking about a man who is happily living his life in a better country. Do you know what Chris Abani went through in the hands of this useless country called Nigeria. STFU fools

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 10:36am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Go to Wikipedia and read about Christopher ABANI, don't read posts by tribalistic fools who only care to dent people's image. Christopher Abani is a better Nigerian than the whole of op's lineage. I'm an Abani and I'm proud of it. OP'S lineage and surname can't boast of anything, never stood up for anything and will remain cowards and social media warriors only, forever.

Can you read at all?

After reading about Abani's falsehood, you are honestly asking us to go and disprove the OP by checking Wikipedia of all places

Whether Abani is better than the OP or not is not the issue. The issue is "did he lie about his travails?"

These travails, more than his brilliance as a writer, have helped his image tremendously. It would be very bad if the travails were lies because it would mean that Abani used crooked means to project himself to the world.

5 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Walehelt(m): 10:36am On Aug 18, 2019
You even make me like this man
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 10:39am On Aug 18, 2019
Walehelt:
You even make me like this man

How so? I don't see why anyone would like this man based on the supposed crooked ways he used to project himself to the world.

You can like him because he is a good writer but to say you even like the man because he is a shameless brazen liar is hard to understand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by pchukwudi: 10:41am On Aug 18, 2019
I think the actual idiot here is the one who uses Wikipedia article (or one word in it) as the basis for rubbishing someone's established reputation all in a bid to refute things he seems to know nothing about.

Mr. Ubani owes no one any explanation for his stories. Of course, I'm not holding any briefs for him. But if you think he's lying disproof his claims with inconvertible evidence, not a silly entry on Wikipedia - and certainly not the opinion of a random person who seems to agree with your skepticism and hateful narrative.

Of course, you have the right to be skeptical. But outrightly and publicly calling someone a liar when you have zero evidence to prove that he's lying is silly. It crosses the boundary of normal skepticism.

If you or the OP think Mr. Abani's story is a lie, the burden of proof lies on you. It's arrogant to ask anyone to prove his innocence or truth.

And, by the way, we all can see clearly that this is just propaganda that's aimed at a certain group of people. It absolutely has nothing to do with the unverifiable subject it pretends to discuss.

new2012:

Where is Kalakuta prison? Let's start from there

Of course I don't know you and you don't know the OP either.

I repeat, me and you are the 'nobody'. Should you wanna prove otherwise, share ur name to prove you're somebody

2 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Ashirioluwa: 10:42am On Aug 18, 2019
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by pchukwudi: 10:44am On Aug 18, 2019
Your OP used one word on the Wikipedia entry as the basis for calling the man a liar.

The man does not owe you or the OP any explanation. If you think his stories are lies, then debunk it with verifiable facts - not Wikipedia entry or baseless innuendoes.

BluntBoy:

Can you read at all?

After reading about Abani's falsehood, you are honestly asking us to go and disprove the OP by checking Wikipedia of all places

Whether Abani is better than the OP or not is not the issue. The issue is "did he lie about his travails?"

These travails, more than his brilliance as a writer, have helped his image tremendously. It would be very bad if the travails were lies because it would mean that Abani used crooked means to project himself to the world.

2 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Xisnin(m): 10:45am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Go to Wikipedia and read about Christopher ABANI, don't read posts by tribalistic fools who only care to dent people's image. Christopher Abani is a better Nigerian than the whole of op's lineage. I'm an Abani and I'm proud of it. OP'S lineage and surname can't boast of anything, never stood up for anything and will remain cowards and social media warriors only, forever.
I understand that you need to defend your family even when they are wrong.
But how old are you to make such a declaration?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 10:46am On Aug 18, 2019
naptu2:

The article was actually written by Ikheloa Ikhide in 2011. Ikhide is a well known writer. I very much doubt that the OP (that is, the person that created this thread) is Ikhide Ikheloa.

The article went viral again yesterday because Ikhide shared it after the news of the arrest of the Invictus guy. Many news outlets and blogs have republished the article.

Ikhide has been attacking Chris Abani online for a long time.

It kind of reminds me of the battle between Professor Wole Soyinka and Professor Ali Mazrui in the 1990s.

http://www.praxismagonline.com/writivism2015-ikhide-ikheloa-speaks/

Doesn't look at all like it to me.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by pchukwudi: 10:49am On Aug 18, 2019
Yet, the propagandist OP posted it here now (a narrative that was written 8 years ago) just to shame a certain people and push their dumb stereotype on us all (exploiting the viral Invictus Obi indictment).

And a hateful Nairaland mod was in a huge hurry to give the tribalistic propganda massive oxygen and maximum exposure. Typical.

Ashirioluwa:

This is old

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 10:54am On Aug 18, 2019
Were you there when all these things happened? Do you know about his travails? You talk like you know more than the American government. Since you're the only one who can read I guess you know more than them. But they know better so they integrated him into their society and he's living a far better life than you.
BluntBoy:

Can you read at all?

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 10:55am On Aug 18, 2019
Xisnin:

I understand that you need to defend your family even when they are wrong.
But how old are you to make such a declaration?

I am very sure I'm older than you. But chief it's not about the age.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 10:55am On Aug 18, 2019
pchukwudi:
Your OP used one word on the Wikipedia entry as the basis for calling the man a liar.

The man does not owe you or the OP any explanation. If you think his stories are lies, then debunk it with verifiable facts - not Wikipedia entry or baseless innuendoes.

He didn't use a Wikipedia entry to call Abani a liar.

Abani tells his unverifiable stories whenever on tour, and even on TED. So, I don't know where you read that Wikipedia was the basis of the OP's conclusion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 10:57am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Were you there when all these things happened? Do you know about his travails?

I have not drawn my conclusion. I have only written that it would be bad if the travails were lies because Abani has benefited a lot from them.

As for you, you are merely blindly supporting because you are an Abani. Being an Abani is not enough proof that you are right about Abani's honesty.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Lifestone(m): 10:57am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Again you've left the issues raised by the OP. Since you are an Abani, you should be in a better place to confirm or deny the claims of the OP rather than referring us to Wikipedia that was probably updated by the Abani himself. Incidentally, the Vasta coup is a recent history, as per Abani, who tried him, who jailed him, where is Kalakuta prison in Nigeria.
Face the issue and enlighten us.

2 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by naptu2: 10:58am On Aug 18, 2019
Ashirioluwa:

This is old

It was resurrected by this series of tweets by Ikhide Ikheloa yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ikhide/status/1162776234914471936

2 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 11:01am On Aug 18, 2019
BluntBoy:

I have not drawn my conclusion. I have only written that it would be bad if the travails were lies because Abani has benefited a lot from them.

As for you, you are merely blindly supporting because you are an Abani. Being an Abani is not enough proof that you are right about Abani's honesty.

And reading baseless stories here on nairaland isn't proof either that he lied. Meanwhile you think the American government don't know what they're doing? They still integrated him into their society and he lives there legally having a better life than the liars and tribal bigots that you are a part of
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 11:03am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
Were you there when all these things happened? Do you know about his travails? You talk like you know more than the American government. Since you're the only one who can read I guess you know more than them. But they know better so they integrated him into their society and he's living a far better life than you.

How did you know this?

You see what an hypocrite you are? You asked if I was there when all Abani's supposed travails happened.

Now, I ask you, how did you know Abani lives a better life than me? Is it because he lives outside Nigeria? grin
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 11:04am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

And reading baseless stories here on nairaland isn't proof either that he lied. Meanwhile you think the American government don't know what they're doing? They still integrated him into their society and he lives there legally having a better life than the liars and tribal bigots that you are a part of

Do you know the meaning of baseless?
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Xisnin(m): 11:05am On Aug 18, 2019
ajl:
About Emeagwali, he might have exaggerated or taken advantage of his claims in order to benefit monetarily from it but let us ask these simple questions:

The answer to all these is YES. So, how is he a fraud? The only issue I have with him is that he should have focused more on coming up with new inventions rather doing a self-promotion that materially benefits him. If you have not worked at the highest technical position in the US or any white dominated society you will never understand some of the challenges he might have faced. If you are not ready to "kiss" asses or lie low in front of your "white-gods" they would try to get at you. He surely couldn't fund his research by himself and would need a university or an organization/company to do that until he can do so independently. I believe he was frustrated out of the system and that likely "killed" his career. I have done that and been there so I know what it could be like. I have two joint US inventions, worked in a University and top energy company and once I was told to my face that "I have to speak like an American" to keep my job. If it were you what would you do? Go on kissing asses because you want to earn a living?

So most people who come up with this accusations don't have a clue how things world they are focusing on.

I guess you don't know much about computers and how they work.
The answers to all your questions are no and you don't have a clue about what you are saying.

[qquote]

1. Did he ever invent anything that greatly impacts the way computer communicates?
No. He never invented anything. The thing with invention is that they have a name and function
but Emeagwali cannot say what he invented and prefer obsfuscation instead.
Every piece in your PC has a name and those who invented them whether an individual or a company.

2. Did he invent what's called a supercomputer that carried out the fastest calculation at some point?
This must be the greatest joke I have read.
Supercomputers have been in existence decades before Emeagwali was born.
He did not invent supercomputers let alone the fastest because nobody can.

3. Was he ever rewarded with one of the top awards in the computer science profession?
No.
He was a member of the team that came second in a Gordon Bell prize.
We don't even know if he made any meaningful contribution to the team.

Let me tell you a secret. If someone invents something, then don't go to the media.
They file and obtain patent first and other people in their field would recognize them.

Emeagwali's claim is just as laughable as someone coming up second in an Etisalat prize for literature and then declare
themselves the inventor of fiction.

8 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 11:05am On Aug 18, 2019
BluntBoy:

Do you know the meaning of baseless?

Please tell me. I don't know
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Celebsnews: 11:07am On Aug 18, 2019
Madam, they didn't use subtitles because his English is bad. It is used for those who would find it hard to understand his accent. We also see Subtitles in some American and British movies too.

Meanwhile, Here are five solid reasons why Mercy would win this year Big Brother Naija show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0lluGYHn3Q
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Xisnin(m): 11:10am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

I am very sure I'm older than you. But chief it's not about the age.
Actually, it is about age because only those actively involved in the struggle then
can tell you what actually happened.

You see nobody is disproving Abani's writing talent. In fact, nowhere did this
writer suggest such. If he did, I would have seen him for an ignorant fraud himself.

However, fighting for human rights is another area entirely. People have been killed,
maimed, lost family and jailed for a long time for it. So it is totally wrong and even evil to
try to ride on the wave of other's persecution to fame.

I have seen no evidence that he was jailed for activism and sentenced to death during the
military regime. Have you?

4 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Freeman59: 11:12am On Aug 18, 2019
OK then I think you didn't read the OPs post properly. Now go back and read it.
Xisnin:

Actually, it is about age because only those actively involved in the struggle then
can tell you what actually happened.

You see nobody is disproving Abani's writing talent. In fact, nowhere did this
writer suggest such. If he did, I would have seen him for an ignorant fraud himself.

However, fighting for human rights is another area entirely. People have been killed,
maimed, lost family and jailed for a long time for it. So it is totally wrong and even evil to
try to ride on the wave of other's persecution to fame.

I have seen no evidence that he was jailed for activism and sentenced to death during the
military regime. Have you?
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by BluntBoy(m): 11:17am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:

Please tell me. I don't know

This article is not the only expose on the Abani mess.

There are many others who have investigated Abani's claims and found nothing with which to establish a foundation of truth.

How come no one, aside Abani himself, can/or has corroborated Abani's claims? Abani said he was persecuted right from his days at the university but not one activist, not even the leader of the Student Union at that time remembered such travails?

Abani has also said severally that Wole Soyinka is his role model and that he (Abani) used theatre activism to deal with the government the same way Soyinka did. While Soyinka's activism can be verified easily, no one remembers Abani's theatre activism or imprisonment on account of them. Not even Professor Tess Onwueme of the Theatre Art at that time.

Even Sowore has evidence of his activism during the June 12 protest. But Abani has no proof. His only evidence is a supposed fellow activist who is now dead and can't be interviewed.

3 Likes

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Xisnin(m): 11:29am On Aug 18, 2019
Freeman59:
OK then I think you didn't read the OPs post properly. Now go back and read it.
Oh, maybe I can't read. What was his argument again?
That Abani can't write or that his activist story are lies?

Wake me up when Abani presents evidence to back up his Nigerian life's story.

1 Like

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Sterope(f): 11:34am On Aug 18, 2019
The writer is not even Yoruba or from the North to begin with and it is from Sahara Reporters. So can you not make a lame attempt to make this tribal?

9jaBloke:
I know Chris Abani. Masters of the Board was one of the books i grew up reading.

My favourite line:

" Be careful Knight, or you won't last the night. Forgive the pun."

I don't know about the lies but OPs narrative smacks of deep-seated bigotry and prejudice.

Another unverified write-up on FP..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by Bizibi(m): 11:38am On Aug 18, 2019
Lifestone:

Again you've left the issues raised by the OP. Since you are an Abani, you should be in a better place to confirm or deny the claims of the OP rather than referring us to Wikipedia that was probably updated by the Abani himself. Incidentally, the Vasta coup is a recent history, as per Abani, who tried him, who jailed him, where is Kalakuta prison in Nigeria.
Face the issue and enlighten us.
abeg leave that one
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by naptu2: 11:40am On Aug 18, 2019
Sterope:
The writer is not even Yoruba or from the North to begin with and it is from Sahara Reporters. So can you not make a lame attempt to make this tribal?

+100.
Re: The Trials Of Chris Abani And The Power Of Empty Words By Ikhide R. Ikheloa by 9jaBloke: 11:45am On Aug 18, 2019
Sterope:

You just did

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woes Of The Dark Night / Lola Akande's New Novel Exposes Nigerian University Lecturers / How To Sell A Movie Script To A Nollywood Producer Or Film-maker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.