Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria (1903 Views)

China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Top 5 Countries Nigerians Import Cars From / Meet Obi Okeke, Who Has Sold Over 39 Luxury Cars To Floyd Mayweather (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 11:05pm On Aug 19, 2019
I believe this forum is about learning especially this car talk segment of the forum.

I went online and checked a couple of yankee sites and discovered cars are stupidly cheaper than what our dealers here in Naija sell to us. I know custom clearing is involved but I discovered that even at that, the prices are still on the high side. I may be wrong...

But it kept me wondering if this is not something someone can do on his own, if he chooses. Buy and deliver your own car from US or UK without a car dealer.

Can someone please share how to import cars to Nigeria. The step by step process. Thanks in advance
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Nickisindigo(m): 12:39am On Aug 20, 2019
it might be cheaper but the cost of shipping and clearing makes it higher

4 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:55am On Aug 20, 2019
MisterKings:
I believe this forum is about learning especially this car talk segment of the forum.

I went online and checked a couple of yankee sites and discovered cars are stupidly cheaper than what our dealers here in Naija sell to us. I know custom clearing is involved but I discovered that even at that, the prices are still on the high side. I may be wrong...

But it kept me wondering if this is not something someone can do on his own, if he chooses. Buy and deliver your own car from US or UK without a car dealer.

Can someone please share how to import cars to Nigeria. The step by step process. Thanks in advance
I'm interested in this too. I don't want dealers doing what I can do by myself for me anymore.
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Aug 20, 2019
MisterKings:

Easy as ABC, all you need is time.
Europe and America have a different system, however, some states in the US operate like Europe i n the sense they let the car go with its plate number.
there are two types of shipping, RORO and container RORO is when the car is driven in and ofcos we all know what container is,
Now in the US where you buy ur car matters as that could raise the cost by 100%, ie you have to truck the car to the nearest port however in the EU you can put one-day insurance and drive it to the port or to your yard and park it off-street.in the US you will have to truck ur car to such,shipping is fixed cost.clearing is another issue alltogether, feel free to ask anything you did not get

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 11:57am On Aug 20, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

I'm interested in this too. I don't want dealers doing what I can do by myself for me anymore.
DO you live in the US?
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 12:23pm On Aug 20, 2019
erico2k2:

Europe and America have a different system, however, some states in the US operate like Europe i n the sense they let the car go with its plate number.
there are two types of shipping, RORO and container RORO is when the car is driven in and ofcos we all know what container is,
Now in the US where you buy ur car matters as that could raise the cost by 100%, ie you have to truck the car to the nearest port however in the EU you can put one-day insurance and drive it to the port or to your yard and park it off-street.in the US you will have to truck ur car to such,shipping is fixed cost.clearing is another issue alltogether, feel free to ask anything you did not get

Ok thanks for the response. I dont live abroad and dont have someone close who does. Is there a site I can simply order online and have it shipped to my doorstep in Naija
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2019
MisterKings:

Ok thanks for the response. I dont live abroad and dont have someone close who does. Is there a site I can simply order online and have it shipped to my doorstep in Naija
This would be IAA, but how do you plan to pay?? knowing full well the vast majority of 9ja cards do not work in the US mkt angry angry
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2019
erico2k2:

This would be IAA, but how do you plan to pay?? knowing full well the vast majority of 9ja cards do not work in the US mkt angry angry

There is paypal, stripe etc na plus I can transfer via wire transfer. We live in 2019

Is IAA a website?

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 4:59pm On Aug 20, 2019
MisterKings:

There is paypal, stripe etc na plus I can transfer via wire transfer. We live in 2019

Is IAA a website?
90% of these sites do not transact via paypal
This is where the middle man thrive
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by captainking(m): 7:36pm On Aug 20, 2019
erico2k2:

Oga legalo comes to mind... grin
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 1:00am On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

Ok then please breakdown the whole process
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:08am On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

Ok then please breakdown the whole process
I already did, or are you talking payment?
well for that you got to register with these auction sites and view their inventory online, but if you are doing this fru a person on ground there they can go and do a physical inspection on cars on-site B4 the commencement of auctions. You will need to deposit I think $200 as bond B4 you are allowed to bid plus you cannot bid on every car as some are restricted to dealers only. However the vast majority of cars on these sites are accident cars,if you need to buy a one on one sale then you need a person on ground there cos such payments are done cash.

https://www.iaai.com/search?url=pd6JWbJ9kRzcBdFK3vKeyjpx+85A4wDWncLLWXG+ICNJ+99sqMaoisYKWs6Cr9ehpola9jPx2sprv+s4ZMVn8Fx2zs3B6PW8u8K9FoTQqp6OtBljK65N8yAA4L/oMssFGn/puPC6PYtsQF/gyVP8aA==&crefiners=||quicklinks:i-buy%20fast&keyword=&msrch=true

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 1:10am On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

I already did, or are you talking payment?
well for that you got to register with these auction sites and view their inventory online, but if you are doing this fru a person on ground there they can go and do a physical inspection on cars on-site B4 the commencement of auctions. You will need to deposit I think $200 as bond B4 you are allowed to bid plus you cannot bid on every car as some are restricted to dealers only. However the vast majority of cars on these sites are accident cars,if you need to buy a one on one sale then you need a person on ground there cos such payments are done cash.

Ok thanks. But what about the website
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:24am On Aug 21, 2019
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 1:46am On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

https://www.iaai.com/search?url=pd6JWbJ9kRzcBdFK3vKeyjpx+85A4wDWncLLWXG+ICNJ+99sqMaoisYKWs6Cr9ehpola9jPx2sprv+s4ZMVn8Fx2zs3B6PW8u8K9FoTQqp6OtBljK65N8yAA4L/oMssFGn/puPC6PYtsQF/gyVP8aA==&crefiners=||quicklinks:i-buy%20fast&keyword=&msrch=true

Ok thank you bro. So from here I pick a car I like and have someone over there to inspect and pay right?
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 2:00am On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

Ok thank you bro. So from here I pick a car I like and have someone over there to inspect and pay right?
yes that person has to register if they are the ones paying on ur behalf
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 2:03am On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

yes that person has to register if they are the ones paying on ur behalf

1. Ok what about just buying without going through auction wahala

2. After buying how does the person ship it down for me and have it delivered to me at my doorstep (if possible)
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 2:27am On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

1. Ok what about just buying without going through auction wahala

2. After buying how does the person ship it down for me and have it delivered to me at my doorstep (if possible)
1 there is a buy it now option, go fru the site and study it well, you need to study it for up to a week or two to understand how it works,
2 you pay hire a tow truck to collect the car from the site to shipping yard.This is easy to arrange.
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 6:16am On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

1 there is a buy it now option, go fru the site and study it well, you need to study it for up to a week or two to understand how it works,
2 you pay hire a tow truck to collect the car from the site to shipping yard.This is easy to arrange.

1. Ok when it is at the shipping yard. Obviously I need to pay for shipping cost and what else

2. When it arrives the country I then need to clear it from Naija port using an agent

Is this basically what I need done or there is something I missed
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Blankstare(m): 8:24am On Aug 21, 2019
Good job erico,am also learning here.
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 11:22am On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

1. Ok when it is at the shipping yard. Obviously I need to pay for shipping cost and what else

2. When it arrives the country I then need to clear it from Naija port using an agent

Is this basically what I need done or there is something I missed
1 ,U must have paid at least part of shipping fees B4 it gets to the shipping yard, or if you are not ready to ship due to funds etc it has to be in a private yard/storage, ur agent or relative/friend can be of help if not xtra fee. The shipping agents book parking sport like you would in a supermarket if its RORO. Your BOL(Bill of Laden) gets issued once the ship moves max 1 day,at this point you must have pad 100% of shiping fees B4 the BOL gets handed to you.
2. Well the way I do mine back in the days is this, on the bill of laden there is the name of the vessel, you can track this online and get the ETA it gets to 9ja,, armed with the BOL you shop for the best clearing and trusted agent and hand the BOL to him for immediate action, doing this ensures you car leaves the Port in Lag max 4 days, this way no story.B4 the ship arrives and offload your clearing agent should have done 60% of all paperwork needed. My cars used to leave the port 4 days max, this way no whiff rat story

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 12:06pm On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

1 ,U must have paid at least part of shipping fees B4 it gets to the shipping yard, or if you are not ready to ship due to funds etc it has to be in a private yard/storage, ur agent or relative/friend can be of help if not xtra fee. The shipping agents book parking sport like you would in a supermarket if its RORO. Your BOL(Bill of Laden) gets issued once the ship moves max 1 day,at this point you must have pad 100% of shiping fees B4 the BOL gets handed to you.
2. Well the way I do mine back in the days is this, on the bill of laden there is the name of the vessel, you can track this online and get the ETA it gets to 9ja,, armed with the BOL you shop for the best clearing and trusted agent and hand the BOL to him for immediate action, doing this ensures you car leaves the Port in Lag max 4 days, this way no story.B4 the ship arrives and offload your clearing agent should have done 60% of all paperwork needed. My cars used to leave the port 4 days max, this way no whiff rat story

I really dont understand the terms you are using. Do you live in Naija? So I can send my details and we sit and discuss abeg

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 4:56pm On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

I really dont understand the terms you are using. Do you live in Naija? So I can send my details and we sit and discuss abeg
what part dont you understand I will xplain,and NO I dnt live in 9ja
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

what part dont you understand I will xplain,and NO I dnt live in 9ja

Ok the ETA, Bill of Laden etc.
Or Is it advisable to just buy here once and for all to avoid wahala cos I don't have anyone over there. And this process sounds complicated and might end up costing as much as I can buy a tokunbo car here
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 6:58pm On Aug 21, 2019
MisterKings:

Ok the ETA, Bill of Laden etc.
Or Is it advisable to just buy here once and for all to avoid wahala cos I don't have anyone over there. And this process sounds complicated and might end up costing as much as I can buy a tokunbo car here
ETA means Expected Time of Arrival, bill of laden is a Document, your shipping document
If you do not have anyone there, you are on your own, its nearly impossible to buy there.
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by MisterKings(m): 7:01pm On Aug 21, 2019
erico2k2:

ETA means Expected Time of Arrival, bill of laden is a Document, your shipping document
If you do not have anyone there, you are on your own, its nearly impossible to buy there.

Wow thanks so much for your time and knowledge. At least I have an idea of this. Thanks again brother

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Blankstare(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2021
erico2k2:

Complement brother, I was thinking about something like this topic, I access goggle and it directed me here. It's 2021, pls has anything changed ? Can I pay from my Nija account if for instance I bought a car from corpart? I will like to do it myself, if like I register with corpart, must I still have someone on ground there?
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:19pm On Aug 20, 2021
Blankstare:

Complement brother, I was thinking about something like this topic, I access goggle and it directed me here. It's 2021, pls has anything changed ? Can I pay from my Nija account if for instance I bought a car from corpart? I will like to do it myself, if like I register with corpart, must I still have someone on ground there?
yes it is still very much same system, those platforms like coopart have a one-stop package, you will have to liaise with them how to move 4ward, you do not need a 3rd party!
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Blankstare(m): 8:34pm On Aug 20, 2021
erico2k2:

yes it is still very much same system, those platforms like coopart have a one-stop package, you will have to liaise with them how to move 4ward, you do not need a 3rd party!

Okay. You mean liaise with them physically?
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:54pm On Aug 20, 2021
Blankstare:

Okay. You mean liaise with them physically?
there is a chat and contact details on their website, so go there!
Re: Can Someone Please Share How To Import Cars To Nigeria by Blankstare(m): 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2021
erico2k2:

there is a chat and contact details on their website, so go there!

Okay.. thanks

(1) (Reply)

The Most Well Built & Most Reliable Vehicles Built From 2010 To Date / Which Can Can I Buy For 700k / Mymoto Blog: Is your A/C Blowing Warm Air instead of Cold Air?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.