Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

9 Interesting Facts About Japan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 9 Interesting Facts About Japan (3537 Views)

What I Saw About Japan / 10 Facts About Nnewi The Nigerian Village With The Most Billionaires / Useful Info About Japan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Interesting Facts About Japan by amjf(m): 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2019
Japan, with a population of roughly 126.8 million as of 2017, is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean with high-rise-filled cities, imperial palaces, mountainous national parks and thousands of shrines and temples and home to some of the best technologies in the world.

Tokyo, the crowded capital, is known for its neon skyscrapers and pop culture. In contrast, Kyoto offers Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines, gardens, and cherry blossoms. Sushi, the national dish, is served everywhere from casual pubs to gourmet restaurants.

Here are some interesting facts about Japan:

1. Japan has over 6,800 islands

You might know that Japan is an island nation, but did you know that there are more than 6800 islands in Japan? The four biggest islands are Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku, which together makes up about 97% of the total land area.

And don’t forget about the paradise islands of Okinawa with its beautiful beaches and tropical climate.

2. Japan has the most vending machines in the world

To every person, there are approximately 23 vending machines. You can buy ANYTHING in a vending machine including, cars, lettuce, underwear, hot ramen and even an egg. You will find them everywhere I swear! Vending machines are a huge part of Japanese culture and to me, that is extremely useful! You never have to talk to another person again, bliss for an introvert like me! lol

3. Japan has the third highest life expectancy in the world

Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world due to their diet and lifestyle. They are very healthy people and exercise regularly. On average men will live until their 81 years old and women 87 years old. This is causing a crisis in Japan because there’s a lack of childbirth also. Now there are more seniors than children and this is causing a problem for the Japanese economy. Apparently, Japan sells more adult diapers than children’s – how fascinating and problematic at the same time!

4. Has one of the world’s lowest crime rates

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world, so if you worry about crime, you should probably look into moving here. The most common crimes here includes stealing a bicycle or umbrellas left outside the convenience store.

At the metro and trains, you can see locals who take a nap while having their phone in their hand or clearly visible.

It’s also not uncommon to see people walking around with their backpacks and bags open. Another thing, people don’t even lock their homes all the time or their bicycles! That’s how safe it is in Japan.

5. Best Animes

Animated Japanese films and television shows (i.e.: Anime) account for 60% of the world’s animation-based entertainment. So successful is animation in Japan, that there are almost 130 voice-acting schools in the country.

6. Don’t wear your shoes inside

Raised floors help indicate when to take off slippers or shoes. At the entrance to a home in Japan, the floor will usually be raised about 6 inches (15.24 cm) indicating you should take off your shoes and put on slippers. If the house has a tatami mat room, its floor may be raised 1-2 inches (2.54-5.08 cm.) indicating you should take off your slippers.

7. You’re allowed to take naps on the job

Japanese people are working more than any other country in the world and the working days are long. Since a couple of years back, some employers are letting their employees take a power nap at work, to recharge and get more energy. It’s pretty interesting, and overall I would say that power naps are very common in Japan, and you will constantly see people taking power naps on trains.

8. Fruit is the best gift you can give

If you don’t know what to get your host, then gift them fruit they really do appreciate it.

9. They take cleaning seriously

Cleaning is taught in school and is a serious part of Japanese culture. Students and children clean their own school! I have to say on my travels to Japan I thought it was one of the top 3 cleanest countries I have been to. There are even neighborhood (volunteer but mostly compulsory) clean-ups. People are always expected to keep their private houses and their workplace clean!

There’s your big list of interesting facts about Japan, you can learn more about Japan here https://timbu.com/japan

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by hisgrace090: 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2019
As a result of sane individuals living together.

9 Likes

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by djfabmusik(m): 4:03pm On Aug 22, 2019
hope to visit there soon

2 Likes

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Cletus77(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2019
South Korea and Japan are two countries you must visit in Asia major..
They're almost the same in everything!
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by dangoteinlaw: 12:20am On Aug 23, 2019
No one ever underrated Japan in anyway. If you read about WW2 u will be shocked how Japan Nealy finished USA soldiers

2 Likes

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 5:33am On Aug 23, 2019
Thank you for sharing this!
I appreciate you!!

No9 is remind me about old days.
My school (class) is divided students for group.
1group is 5or6 students and everyday clean up group by group. Like today is group1, tomorrow is group2 or week by week etc.
Before start holiday like summer holiday, winter holiday etc will clean up with everybody.

One day, I escaped from clean up.
I ignored clean up and I left.
Because I wanted play with friends. I didn't wanna clean up.
When I go to school next day, my teacher warned me and he told me that I must clean up alone.
Because my group did it without me.
I wanted escape again. But he watched me and catched me. So I couldn't escape again.
But my teacher helped me.
I did it with him and he praised me and gave me snack after clean up.
That snack is secret for another class mate.
I still remember him very well and I still like him! He is my great teacher!!

2 Likes

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Funkybabee(f): 12:03pm On Aug 23, 2019
cool....
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by error4040: 5:37pm On Aug 23, 2019
At OP tho Asia is far Safer in crime related issues compared to other Regions I refuse to believe No.4 to the Case of japan.
My reasons are because they mostly deal with Organized crime or you mean you
Haven't heard of Japanese Mafia or the Yakuza
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Hadampson(m): 6:03pm On Aug 23, 2019
Japan "land of the rising sun" my number two country after Germany cool

I have always loved Japan because of Japanese personality and clean culture. Yes, cleanliness is one of the culture of Japan. I hope one day, i would visit the country and attend their festivals.

God please change my location cry

https://www.nairaland.com/5356700/japanese-penis-festival

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by drips8(m): 6:48pm On Aug 23, 2019
The real tigers of Asia
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 3:50am On Aug 24, 2019
error4040:
At OP tho Asia is far Safer in crime related issues compared to other Regions I refuse to believe No.4 to the Case of japan.

Is Yakuza famous?
I didn't know before that many peoples know about Yakuza.

Anyway,
About No4, bicycle and umbrella is true.
Sometimes police stop and ask person who is riding bicycle about their bicycle.
If had register, very easy to proof them about that bicycle is their bicycle.
That register is save for steal.
If lost bicycle, that register number is important.
Peoples who don't lock their door is I think only countryside.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by TheManOfTheYear: 6:40am On Aug 24, 2019
peacefull:

Is Yakuza famous?

Anyway,
Exactly. I was shocked when the OP stated that people don't lock their homes.
Iffa hear
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by error4040: 12:00pm On Aug 24, 2019
peacefull:

Is Yakuza famous?

Anyway,
of course the Yakuza is famous thanks to Hollywood who mostly portray the Yakuza
example:
the Avengers End game did add the Yakuza spice to the movie with Ronin vs Akihiko fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9zBBwK-qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6DXtM0SQk

so yea the Yakuza is Famous I think.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by willie5: 4:38pm On Aug 24, 2019
Japan is a fantastic country, it's so unique and special. Everyone should visit this country at least once. And if you don't know where to go on travels, you can rest assured Japan is a good choice. Also, read this article, maybe you'll find more options https://travelsites.com/blog/the-top-10-best-places-to-visit-around-the-world/
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by iamboladee: 4:45pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hadampson:
Japan "land of the rising sun" my number two country after Germany cool

I have always loved Japan because of Japanese personality and clean culture. Yes, cleanliness is one of the culture of Japan. I hope one day, i would visit the country and attend their festivals.

God please change my location cry

https://www.nairaland.com/5356700/japanese-penis-festival

Soonest bro cool

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 3:21am On Aug 25, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
Exactly. I was shocked when the OP stated that people don't lock their homes.
Iffa hear

I think he or she tried to explain about how much safe place in Japan.
I appreciate him/her for introduce about Japan. I like hear and read about Japan and Japanese from non Japanese peoples.

Anyway, I hope you are fine!
And I hope you and your girlfriend keeping good relationship!!
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 3:41am On Aug 25, 2019
error4040:

of course the Yakuza is famous thanks to Hollywood who mostly portray the Yakuza
example:
the Avengers End game did add the Yakuza spice to the movie with Ronin vs Akihiko fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9zBBwK-qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6DXtM0SQk

so yea the Yakuza is Famous I think.

Wow!!
I appreciate you!!
Is this movie? I like watching movie.
But I didn't know this movie.
Japan have many Yakuza story movies.
I like Yakuza's wife movie. Famous movie cheesy

But about Yakuza is maybe bad side Japan.
Last year or few years ago? I forgot when,
had gang war(I'm sorry, If wrong English) again. Tension was rising at that time.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by TheManOfTheYear: 8:17am On Aug 25, 2019
peacefull:

I think he or she tried to explain about how much safe place in Japan.
I appreciate him/her for introduce about Japan. I like hear and read about Japan and Japanese from non Japanese peoples.

Anyway, I hope you are fine!
And I hope you and your girlfriend keeping good relationship!!
I'm fine and good.
Yes we are waxing strong smiley
How's your husband? Hope he's back
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 2:26am On Aug 27, 2019
TheManOfTheYear:
I'm fine and good.
Yes we are waxing strong smiley
How's your husband? Hope he's back

Good!
I'm happy to hear that cheesy
I wish you and your girlfriend will always be happy!!

Yes, he is back.
Thank you for asking me. I appreciate you!

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 27, 2019
Japan is a cool place to be.
Had long stay in Uruma, Kadena and Ginowan all in Okinawa. Nice people who will rather have fruits than anything else.cheesy

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Nollyshech(m): 1:36pm On Aug 27, 2019
I'm planning to visit Japan next month but I don't know anyone there please someone should me with a genuine person contract.abeg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by JoEmily: 4:50am On Mar 11, 2020
You try to use shell shockers very safe with children very nice picture, good graphic design, I find it very wonderful. Hope to be well appreciated by the community so we can continue developing:>
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 23, 2021
Language barrier nko
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 24, 2021
peacefull:
I appreciate you!!

No9 is remind me about old days.
My school (class) is divided students for group.
1group is 5or6 students and everyday clean up group by group. Like today is group1, tomorrow is group2 or week by week etc.
Before start holiday like summer holiday, winter holiday etc will clean up with everybody.

One day, I escaped from clean up.
I ignored clean up and I left.
Because I wanted play with friends. I didn't wanna clean up.
When I go to school next day, my teacher warned me and he told me that I must clean up alone.
Because my group did it without me.
I wanted escape again. But he watched me and catched me. So I couldn't escape again.
But my teacher helped me.
I did it with him and he praised me and gave me snack after clean up.
That snack is secret for another class mate.
I still remember him very well and I still like him! He is my great teacher!!

We met on the other topic. You are from Japan?

Goodness, me, I thought you were French!
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 1:02am On Aug 24, 2021
iamadonis22:

We met on the other topic. You are from Japan?

Goodness, me, I thought you were French!

Yes! I'm from Japan smiley

Oh! Really?
Please I wanna know, why you thought I'm a French person?
This is very interesting to me!

1 Like

Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by Nobody: 5:10am On Aug 24, 2021
peacefull:

Yes! I'm from Japan smiley

Oh! Really?
Please I wanna know, why you thought I'm a French person?
This is very interesting to me!

I thought wrongly. If I had to guess another Nationality using Nairaland I’d say a French-speaking African. I would hardly guess a Japanese.

How did you discover Nairaland?
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by blackbriar: 5:55am On Aug 24, 2021
amjf:
Japan, with a population of roughly 126.8 million as of 2017, is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean with high-rise-filled cities, imperial palaces, mountainous national parks and thousands of shrines and temples and home to some of the best technologies in the world.

Tokyo, the crowded capital, is known for its neon skyscrapers and pop culture. In contrast, Kyoto offers Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines, gardens, and cherry blossoms. Sushi, the national dish, is served everywhere from casual pubs to gourmet restaurants.

You might know that Japan is an island nation, but did you know that there are more than 6800 islands in Japan? The four biggest islands are Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku, which together makes up about 97% of the total land area.

And don’t forget about the paradise islands of Okinawa with its beautiful beaches and tropical climate.

To every person, there are approximately 23 vending machines. You can buy ANYTHING in a vending machine including, cars, lettuce, underwear, hot ramen and even an egg. You will find them everywhere I swear! Vending machines are a huge part of Japanese culture and to me, that is extremely useful! You never have to talk to another person again, bliss for an introvert like me! lol

Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world due to their diet and lifestyle. They are very healthy people and exercise regularly. On average men will live until their 81 years old and women 87 years old. This is causing a crisis in Japan because there’s a lack of childbirth also. Now there are more seniors than children and this is causing a problem for the Japanese economy. Apparently, Japan sells more adult diapers than children’s – how fascinating and problematic at the same time!

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world, so if you worry about crime, you should probably look into moving here. The most common crimes here includes stealing a bicycle or umbrellas left outside the convenience store.

At the metro and trains, you can see locals who take a nap while having their phone in their hand or clearly visible.

It’s also not uncommon to see people walking around with their backpacks and bags open. Another thing, people don’t even lock their homes all the time or their bicycles! That’s how safe it is in Japan.

5. Best Animes

Animated Japanese films and television shows (i.e.: Anime) account for 60% of the world’s animation-based entertainment. So successful is animation in Japan, that there are almost 130 voice-acting schools in the country.

Raised floors help indicate when to take off slippers or shoes. At the entrance to a home in Japan, the floor will usually be raised about 6 inches (15.24 cm) indicating you should take off your shoes and put on slippers. If the house has a tatami mat room, its floor may be raised 1-2 inches (2.54-5.08 cm.) indicating you should take off your slippers.

Japanese people are working more than any other country in the world and the working days are long. Since a couple of years back, some employers are letting their employees take a power nap at work, to recharge and get more energy. It’s pretty interesting, and overall I would say that power naps are very common in Japan, and you will constantly see people taking power naps on trains.

If you don’t know what to get your host, then gift them fruit they really do appreciate it.

Cleaning is taught in school and is a serious part of Japanese culture. Students and children clean their own school! I have to say on my travels to Japan I thought it was one of the top 3 cleanest countries I have been to. There are even neighborhood (volunteer but mostly compulsory) clean-ups. People are always expected to keep their private houses and their workplace clean!

There’s your big list of interesting facts about Japan, you can learn more about Japan here https://timbu.com/japan

No. 8 is definitely not true.
You will be fired. Japan has some firms that are known to be frugal and break labor laws ; they are generally regarded as black companies.

8. Also not generally correct.
Fruits are ridiculously expensive in japan. The cheapest fruit is banana. The rest are heavily overpriced . Water melon sells for 12,000 naira, mango for church 1500 naira.
There are also gifts called omiyage; snacks or Osake; Japanese wine

2. Buy cars in vending machine?? Please source.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by blackbriar: 5:57am On Aug 24, 2021
error4040:

Yakuza is a thing of the past. The Japanese government dealt with them and basically wiped them off. You can’t even open a bank account or eat at restaurants or get a job as a restaurant.
And Yakuza stay clear, don’t bother foreigners
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by blackbriar: 5:59am On Aug 24, 2021
Please do not ride bicycle that are unlocked on the streets when you visit Japan.

The police are seriously targeting people and arresting them. It’s now a crime to ride a bicycle not registered in your name in Japan.

Japanese police no dey play and you be black man ooo from naija.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by blackbriar: 6:02am On Aug 24, 2021
amjf:

5. Best Animes

3. Japan is fucking expensive.
It costs 20million yen on average to train a child from birth to university.
It’s cost 40 million yen for 3 bedroom house.
Yet it has the lowest salary in the developed world
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by blackbriar: 6:06am On Aug 24, 2021
amjf:

5. Best Animes

People lock their homes except for in very rural communities.
There is hentai crime.
Phone scam crime called ore ore.
High suicide on trains ; people jumping on the trains.sadly, grown kids killing their aged 90 years old parent as it’s too expensive and no help to change their diapers etc
And recently stabbings in the trains.
Generally it is safe , you can walk 2 am for night.
Re: 9 Interesting Facts About Japan by peacefull(f): 10:50am On Aug 24, 2021
iamadonis22:

I thought wrongly. If I had to guess another Nationality using Nairaland I’d say a French-speaking African. I would hardly guess a Japanese.

How did you discover Nairaland?

Oh! Ok!
Thank you so much for answer my question! I appreciate you!!
I can only speak Japanese.
How do I say it? Japanese speaking Japanese? Japanese speaking Asian?

When I was very confusing about my marriage, I needed help. I thought if I could know and I could understand more about Nigeria and Nigerian peoples, I can understand my husband more.
And I wanted to know about marriage in Nigeria.
I searched about Nigeria on internet. Then I found out this website!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Travel Shop. Carnival Ship Cruises, Reservations, Visas, Tours. pics / Let Talk Belarus / Nigerians Studying In Geneva,switzerland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.