Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,530 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better (396 Views)

Check Out Better Pot Of Soup I Made With 1700. Spicy Okra N Ogbono / Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse / In Response To A Previous Thread Created By Amara Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better by childhoodjourna: 2:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
The long standing excuse: ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ has always being the parameter upon which parents, teachers and other significant adults in a child’s life carry out this barbaric act.
Africans who are always quick to quote this portion of the bible have forgotten that this act-flogging – has been in existence even before the introduction of the Bible. So it is not a religion thing, it is a culture.

When Laura ikeji called on Nigerian governments to banned flogging both at home and in school, people called her all sort of unprintable names. Some said she wanted the country to breed unruly kids.
My question is does flogging truly in the right sense make children well behaved? Or in all honesty, put fear in kids which in turn causes physical and psychological pains.
Some said flogging makes children respectful. Really? Respect or pseudo –an exhibition of fear for the rod ;When a child perpetually live in fear for the ‘rod’ the child becomes too cautious which often kills a child’s creativity and the expressiveness.
How many of you can say that when your parents or teachers flogged you while growing up you felt proud about it? You appreciated the fact that the only way they corrected you was being beaten, sometimes to stupor.

Kids are not animals. They are humans, too. If it is improper to flog adults when they did wrong, then it is also improper to flog kids when they did wrong.
My question again, how many of you can boldly say since the day you flogged your child/ ward he/she has never misbehaved again? Truth is kids are likely to repeat the same act you flogged them for. Will you keep flogging them?
When adults wrong us and we ask around how to handle this, they will often tell us to have a dialogue with the person. Why don’t we do same with kids? When you talk to children about a ‘horrible’ act they have shown, and why they shouldn’t indulge in such act anymore, there is a higher chance that the child won’t repeat the act.
I believe parents flog their kids because they were flogged, and flogging enhances these parents’ ego. It makes them feel in charge

I’m I saying all a parent has to do when a child misbehave is to have a dialogue? Yes, have a dialogue and use the punishment and consequence method.
There are ways you can make children face the consequences of their misdeeds and they will still have positive image about themselves, and you get to avoid that feeling of resentment from your child to you.
As touching the matter if teachers should use cane in correcting a child, the answer is a big NO. When you flog a child in the presence of his peers, you have dampened the child’s curiosity for learning; if a child can’t learn in school, why is she there?

1 Like

Re: In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better by Omoluabi16(m): 2:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
Re: In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better by SUPERPACK: 2:22pm On Aug 23, 2019
another rubbish lamentations from somebody who have never been in the educational system or a teacher and the first instance, why not suggest to the government to reduce the pupil to teacher ratio in schools that is getting out of hand,

1 Like

Re: In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2019
No it doesn't!!!!
Re: In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better by childhoodjourna: 12:41pm On Aug 29, 2019
SUPERPACK:
another rubbish lamentations from somebody who have never been in the educational system or a teacher and the first instance, why not suggest to the government to reduce the pupil to teacher ratio in schools that is getting out of hand,

The contributor of this post is a mother and hs been an educator for ten years now and still teaching.

(1) (Reply)

Please Kindly Share/gift A Little MB (data) To Me / Pastor Wife That Give Babies To The Childless People In Lagos / Cosmetics You Should Consider Using This Harmattan Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.