Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Rules Of Holy Living - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rules Of Holy Living (3656 Views)

Masquerade Praying At The Grotto Of Holy Mary (Photo, Video) / Does Your Church Still Preach About Hell Fire, Holy Living, Rapture, Eternity? / Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rules Of Holy Living by TemmyT002(m): 7:32am On Aug 25, 2019
A lot of people have always wondered what the rules of holy living are. These are serious-minded Christians who are always trying to please God Almighty.

In this article, we will explain some of the rules that Christians have to follow in order to live a holy life which is pleasing to God.

BIBLE TEXT: COLOSSIANS 3:1-17

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life,appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

PUT TO DEATH YOUR EARTHLY NATURE (Colossians 3:5)

In order to live a holy life, we need to put to death the earthly nature. Elements of the earthly nature are many.

Sexual Immorality

The dictionary defines sexual immorality as the evil ascribed to sexual acts that violate social conventions.

As we all know, the world is full of sexual immorality. Wherever you go these days, you will come into contact with things of sexual nature. As Christians, we need to be very careful and stay away from anything that can take us far from God. We should be careful of temptations.

Impurity

This simply means your nature has been spoiled in some way by sin. Obviously, as Christians who wish to satisfy God, we should stay away from things that can make us impure.

Lust

This defined as a strong sexual desire. One of the rules of living a holy life is to shun lust. The consequences of lust are usually not favorable.

Others include:

Evil desires
Greed
Idolatry

RID YOURSELVES OF THESE (COLOSSIANS 3:8-9):

Anger
Rage
Malice
Slander
Filthy language
Lying

CLOTHE YOURSELVES WITH THESE (COLOSSIANS 3:12-14):

Compassion
Kindness
Humility
Gentleness
Patience
Bear with each other
Forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone
Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Others include:

Put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts
Be thankful
Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts
Whatever you do,whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Following all these rules of holy living makes it easy to please God. Imagine what a father will for to the child that delights him. God will do more if we follow the rules and make him happy with us.

SOURCE: https://opinionsandstories.com/rules-of-holy-living/

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by seunmohmoh(f): 9:38am On Aug 25, 2019
Thank you

olaszydaruma come and see something cheesy
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by IamSoProlific: 9:41am On Aug 25, 2019
Psalm 1:1-5 comes to mind too.

Today's message was "THE ACT OF GRATITUDE ".

I enjoyed every bit of it.

Thanks for this too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by SultanOfAbia: 9:41am On Aug 25, 2019
Nigerians Always Acting Holy only on Sundays
On Monday una go continue una Evil characters..

Op you are Wasting your Time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by Funmmyastic: 9:41am On Aug 25, 2019
That's good.Very inspiring.May the Lord help me to live by His standards.Amen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by KIDfurniture(m): 9:42am On Aug 25, 2019
Danke
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by Truefaith: 9:42am On Aug 25, 2019
Check this issue up with your Bible OPEN at
www.thetruechristianfaith.com
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by genabc(m): 9:45am On Aug 25, 2019
Ok
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by Mavrick2012: 10:33am On Aug 25, 2019
The way preaching against fornication and alcohol has been tactically relegated to the background in our today's church.........
THIS YEAR, YOU SHALL RECEIVE A BOAT SINKING NET CRACKING MIRACLE,
somebody shout hallelujah.

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by Forward77(m): 10:58am On Aug 25, 2019
Good write up

1 Like

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by LordGuru1: 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2019
God bless you OP.

1 Like

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by Bennycoolest(m): 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
So nice and awe-inspiring...please keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by francisisking: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2019
it is not easy to live that kind of life... unless we are programmed to live that way.... only by the grace of God we are saved.... if all you listed were to be the criteria of being called holy, I don't think anyone can make heaven.. let's just pray for God's mercies and his sufficient grace.

1 Like

Re: Rules Of Holy Living by olaszydaruma(m): 1:14am On Aug 26, 2019
seunmohmoh:
Thank you

olaszydaruma come and see something cheesy
What's that o Acpt my mail
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by seunmohmoh(f): 9:42am On Aug 26, 2019
olaszydaruma:

What's that o
Acpt my mail
Ftc
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by olaszydaruma(m): 10:28am On Aug 26, 2019
seunmohmoh:
Ftc
Lucky you. I've sent u request
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by seunmohmoh(f): 10:33am On Aug 26, 2019
olaszydaruma:

Lucky you. I've sent u request
I take FTC almost everyday lol grin
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by ochibuogwu5: 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2019
Is *our all* on the altar of Jesus Christ laid?
if He(Jesus Christ) is not the *Lord of all in our lives*,
He is not the *Lord at all*
let us not presume, we are trying *gradually* to decide *receiving God's grace, mercy and love by allowing 100% of our flesh to be crucified together with the flesh of His Son Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary* so that in *exchange for our dead/crucified flesh*, Jesus Christ will *pour out the fullness of His God and human nature* into our mortal-bodies.
Jesus Christ Our God and Lord gave *all(100%) of Himself* to us(human beings) on the cross of Calvary
hence
if we are going to *receive and use the GRACE OF THE CRUCIFIED JESUS CHRIST*
then we can only do that by *using/surrendering our all(100% not 99.99999%)* to engage JESUS CHRIST
thus
"So likewise, whosoever he/she be of you that *forsakes* not *all* that *he/she* has, he/she *cannot be my disciple*"
(Luke 14:33 KJV)
There is *no other reduced option/watered down gospel* about being a *Christian/Believer/Born-again/Disciple-of-Jesus-Christ*,
Let no preacher(whether myself or not, lay-person or ordained deceive you/me) that *receiving Jesus Christ Life is gradual* while we keep on *manifesting sin and stubbornness unto our possessions/gifts/talents/wealth/ambitions* at the *expense of eternal life*.
The only *gradual thing is after Jesus Christ has entered into our individual lives and become the Lord of all* then He gradually grows as in the womb of Virgin Mary from *conception to Ascension* in any aspect of living on this earth he decides to achieve through our individual mortal-bodies.
Lord Jesus Christ be the Lord of *all* in *my life*!!!!
Great Grace Brethren!!!
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by olaszydaruma(m): 5:56pm On Aug 26, 2019
seunmohmoh:
I take FTC almost everyday lol grin
Hmn. That's cool. Reply my mail, send me ur WhatsApp digit
Re: Rules Of Holy Living by sonmvayina(m): 6:13pm On Aug 26, 2019
A missionary wrote to me: "there is NONE righteous NOT one...I saw the bodies of those who rebelled against Me... and their worm never died and their fire not quenched" WHY would a Holy being ALLOW unholiness near Him and WHAT would be the currency that would permit such a union ?"

This question is nearly at the center of the difference between Christianity and Judaism.

Most Christians believe they are not good enough. That humans are somehow filthy -- a worm that is unholy and unworthy of G-d. Jesus had to die for them because they weren't good enough to "save themselves."

The phrase "there is none righteous, not one" is found in Romans 3:10, but it is not found in the T'nach. The closest to this one will find in T'hillim / Psalm 14:3 and 53:4 says "no one does good, not even one."

The Hebrew here is ט֑וֹב -- good. Not righteous. . . good.

The book of Romans is misquoting the T'nach.

When the psalms say "no one does good" does it mean that there are no good people in the world? Does it mean that it is impossible to be a good person?

Nope.

Read it IN CONTEXT. "The degraded one says in his heart, "There is no G-d!" They have acted corruptly and abominably (in their) action; there is no doer of good."

The degraded one does no good.

Not all people.

There are hundreds of verses that stress we can do good and amend wrongs. Perfection is neither expected or required!

Romans 3:10's anonymous author reverses the bible! Romans states that there are no righteous people in the world. Romans 3:9 - 12 says "For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks G-d. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”"

Totally unbiblical!

People ARE righteous.

People DO understand.

People seek G-d (isn't that why you are reading this blog?).

While some reject G-d, many seek Him and do not turn away.

How dare the anonymous author of Romans 3 reverse G-d's eternal word and say that His creation, mankind, is worthless?

Why does Romans make it seem as if no human alive does good -- not even one -- when the psalmist makes it clear that he is speaking of a select few -- the degraded -- who "do no good"?

Christianity teaches that people should be perfect, and because Adam and Chava (Eve) sinned the whole world is damned to not being perfect -- meaning that according to Christian doctrine G-d screwed up and screwed up badly.

Why would anyone want to worship a god capable of making that bad a mistake -- right from the start? Why would such a god deserve respect let alone worship?

To make things worse, Christianity then claims that in order to fix the mistake -- mess -- that this god made He commands the painful murder of himself to himself to "atone" with human blood for his screw up.

Again.

Not biblical.

One of the verses most devastating to Original Sin is B'reshit / Genesis 4:7, where G-d tells Cain that he can overcome temptation. Cain is envious of Abel because G-d accepts only Abel's sacrifice. Cain is tempted to murder Abel. G-d says, "if you do not do good, sin crouches at the entrance. Its desire is for you, but you can rule over it."

Right from chapter 4 we are told that we can rule over sin.

The bible also tells us that G-d created everything -- good and evil are His. G-d does not make mistakes.

Let's return to the claim. Since the two psalms do not say that no one is righteous, but rather "no one is good" -- what does it mean?

Obviously a lot of people do good -- so we must first as ourselves -- to whom is this addressed -- everyone in the world or a select population which is not good?

It is actually NOT everyone in the world. T'hillim / Psalm 14:3 is about Nebuchadnezzar. Rashi says that Nebuchadnezzar was destined to destroy the Temple -- and that not one man would try to stop him.

Let's start with recognizing that T'hillim (Psalms) are 150 poems. POEMS. Most of them were written by Dovid HaMelech (King David) and they were sung in the Temple as prayers. Some praise G-d. Some thank him, some plead to Him -- and some even speak of human fears and how G-d's love transcends our fears. The psalms deal with real human issues and real human lives. These are not the words OF G-d, these are our words TO G-d.

Here is T'hillim / Psalm 14:3: "For the conductor, by David. The degraded one says in his heart, "There is no G-d!" They have acted corruptly and abominably (in their) action; there is no doer of good. 2 From heaven HaShem gazed down upon mankind, to see if there exists a reflective person who seeks out G-d. 3. Everyone has gone astray, together they have become depraved; there is doer of good, there is not even one. 4. Do they not realize -- all those evildoers, who devour my people (those seed of Nebuchadnezzar per Rashi) as they would devour bread, who do not call upon HaShem -- 5 (that) there they will be struck with terror, for G-d is with the righteous generation? 6 You shame the poor man's counsel, that HaShem is his refuge. 7 O', that out of Zion would come Israel's salvation! When HaShem restores the captivity of His people Jacob will exult, Israel will rejoice." T'hillim / Psalm 14, Artscroll Stone Edition Translation.

None of those people helped -- not one looked for G-d. But the day will come when G-d will restore us Jews and we will rejoice (when the messiah comes, the Temple is rebuilt and global knowledge of G-d is here -- along with worldwide peace).

Remember: G-d created everything... and He did so for a purpose.

He created us imperfectly, but with the ability to make mistakes and learn from them. He MADE US this way. He gave us free will to choose good over evil -- but without evil how would would humans have anything to choose FROM?

Nowhere in the T'nach (bible) is it even hinted that man is expected to be perfect. Indeed the T'nach tells us "there is no righteous person who never sins." (Kohelet / Ecclesiastes 7:20).

Righteous people sin. Sin is part of G-d's plan. G-d does not expect perfection -- He expects us to try, to fail, to pick ourselves up and to try again.

The bible itself tells us we can do it! "It is not in heaven, to say 'Who will go up for us to heaven, and acquire it for us, and teach it to us, and we will do it?' Nor is it across the sea, to say Who will cross the sea, and acquire it for us and teach it to us, and we will do it?' For the matter is very near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, to do it." (D'varim / Deuteronomy 30:11)

(1) (Reply)

Strictly For Davidylan, Todak, Noetic And No2atheism On Ishmael & Isaac / M_nwankwo/ Justcool - Inconsistencies In The Grail Message / Famous Last Words, From Atheists, Before They Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.