Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Calgary Or Ottawa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Calgary Or Ottawa (1773 Views)

Adeleke Caught With Illegal Crocodile Meat At Calgary International Airport / Any Nigerians In Calgary Alberta Canada In Here? / Ibom Air CRJ 900 Spotted In Calgary Enroute Uyo, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calgary Or Ottawa by phemocheee(m): 9:39am On Aug 25, 2019
Good morning folks. Please I have a good problem and I'm losing sleep over it already.

I'm currently in Calgary, staying with my cousin for about 2 months now. Just recently, I got a job here in Calgary and I'm expected to resume tomorrow. Let me also say that the pay is quite good too. However, last week thursday, I got another job at Ottawa and the difference in salary is about 18k.

Both jobs are of the same category, Senior IT Security role.

Now to the main point: I'm seriously contemplating relocating my wife and son to Ottawa but my cousin feels the increase in salary is not material enough to offset the cost of living @ Ottawa in short and long term. He's of the opinion that staying close to family and friends in Calgary will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Please for folks living in both cities,which do you think is the best choice at this point in time? Should I stay in Calgary or move to Ottawa?

P.S My wife is also into IT Security but she's yet to get a job in Calgary yet.

Thanks

@Mods.....Please I beg you, do NOT move to front page

2 Likes

Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by KendrickAyomide: 11:43am On Aug 25, 2019
Sapele road benin city is better
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by eddybongo101: 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2019
KendrickAyomide:
Sapele road benin city is better
grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin
u funny ooo
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by Niha: 12:21pm On Aug 26, 2019
It would be nice if anyone could share about the above-stated topic cheap real diamond rings online. It will be helpful the others who are confused with the same matter. Please do share your suggestion regarding the so that it would be helpful the person who is confused in choosing the best place between Calgary and Ottawa.
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by ericotrips(m): 1:52pm On Aug 26, 2019
What you consider is cost of living...
How much is transportation and housing in both cities?
If you have already have accomodation in Calgary, in my opinion you shouldn't move.
Ottawa might offer greater opportunities but if it means you'll have to start all over. It's not worth it.
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by snowlordng(m): 5:02pm On Aug 26, 2019
Calgary anytime bro ...
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by ifegy: 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2019
If your concern is the cost of living, Ottawa is not going to eat up the entire extra pay. You can find a residential area that suits your budget and commute to work. If you are concerned about offending family and friends in Calgary, you can make plans to go and visit them when you have time off.
Note that your current salary is leverage for negotiating your next raise. If you take a higher paying job, you set yourself up for an even higher one down the road. Your salary will create a perception of your worth in the eyes of future recruiters, right or wrong. Their mindset for higher paid individuals is that that they have to 'up their game' with them. They will believe they have to present to you better and higher paying jobs than your current one, in order to entice you. If you take the lesser paying one now, in most cases you will have to somehow 'earn your way' to the higher level one, before you get offered something higher than that, in the future.
IT security is a very lucrative and mobile career. As a Canadian, you can work globally with relative ease. You can get an even higher paying job than the one in Ottawa in another part of the world. What would your friends and family say then? What you would you say?
Make up your own mind and do what you know is best for you.

2 Likes

Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by ifegy: 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2019
If your concern is the cost of living, Ottawa is not going to eat up the entire extra pay. You can find a residential area that suits your budget and commute to work. If you are concerned about offending family and friends in Calgary, you can make plans to go and visit them when you have time off.
Note that your current salary is leverage for negotiating your next raise. If you take a higher paying job, you set yourself up for an even higher one down the road. Your salary will create a perception of your worth in the eyes of future recruiters, right or wrong. Their mindset for higher paid individuals is that that they have to 'up their game' with them. They will believe they have to present to you better and higher paying jobs than your current one, in order to entice you. If you take the lesser paying one now, in most cases you will have to somehow 'earn your way' to the higher level one, before you get offered something higher than that, in the future.
IT security is a very lucrative and mobile career. As a Canadian, you can work globally with relative ease. You can get an even higher paying job than the one in Ottawa in another part of the world. What would your friends and family say then? What you would you say?

1 Like

Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by Mapleking: 6:07am On Aug 28, 2019
ifegy:

Well said, i like your perspective .
Re: Calgary Or Ottawa by bisqit: 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2021
phemocheee:
Good morning folks. Please I have a good problem and I'm losing sleep over it already.

I'm currently in Calgary, staying with my cousin for about 2 months now. Just recently, I got a job here in Calgary and I'm expected to resume tomorrow. Let me also say that the pay is quite good too. However, last week thursday, I got another job at Ottawa and the difference in salary is about 18k.

Both jobs are of the same category, Senior IT Security role.

Now to the main point: I'm seriously contemplating relocating my wife and son to Ottawa but my cousin feels the increase in salary is not material enough to offset the cost of living @ Ottawa in short and long term. He's of the opinion that staying close to family and friends in Calgary will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Please for folks living in both cities,which do you think is the best choice at this point in time? Should I stay in Calgary or move to Ottawa?

P.S My wife is also into IT Security but she's yet to get a job in Calgary yet.

Thanks

@Mods.....Please I beg you, do NOT move to front page

good day sir, I saw your comment on that power China thread and I must say am impressed. I want you to help me with this company NN Fems industries LTD. They are into haircare products. I applied as factory operative. Their pay is 40k for 8 to 5 morning and nite shift. NB I'm a graduate.

(1) (Reply)

Studying Abroad ? / Need An Urgent Info About Domestic Flight In Nigeria / List Of Ambassadors To Foreign Embassies In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.