Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,382 members, 7,815,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? (26719 Views)

Foreign (canadian) Used 2003 Toyota Camry For Sale. / Foreign (canadian) Used 2009 Mercedes Benz B200 For Sale. / 2006 Matrix Canadian Used. 1.7m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2019
This thread is not for bashing, but for sharing info and knowledge, it is also not placed in the auto section kindly do not derail, post objectively or just read and pass.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by kingreign(m): 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2019
Salt corrosion more prominent in Canadian cars.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2019
Rust. Unfortunately, it’s a fact of life for many people shopping for a used vehicle in Winnipeg. Canada is famous for the length and intensity of its winters. Given the amount of road salt and moisture in the winter months, it may be no surprise that Canadian cars tend to rust more quickly than their southern brethren.

This can be a real issue when shopping for a used car. How can you be sure that the vehicle you’re interested in is in great shape, and is not rusty – and hasn’t been repainted to hide rust damage? In this guide, we’ll show you how to check for both rust damage and repainting. Let’s begin.

https://www.ridetime.ca/blog/how-to-check-a-used-car-for-rust-damage-and-repainting-our-guide/

1 Share

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 1:34pm On Aug 28, 2019

Ideally, you should be able to examine a vehicle on a lift. But this isn’t always possible when shopping at a dealer, or buying from a private seller – so you’d better be comfortable sliding underneath the car’s undercarriage.

Using a high-powered LED flashlight, start checking every piece of metal that you can. It’s not uncommon for some components like the muffler and exhaust system to be rusty – and that’s not necessarily a reason not to buy the car.

You’re really looking for rust damage to the chassis of the vehicle itself, as well as the body panels and components which may be invisible from the exterior. Note any rusty spots or patches – and if there are any areas that are totally “rusted through,” you probably shouldn’t buy the car.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 1:37pm On Aug 28, 2019

Check The Joints, Doors, And Other Areas
Rust is quite common on areas of the car that have hinges, or otherwise join two different areas of the vehicle. You’re going to want to check for rust on:

The trunk
The hood of the vehicle and engine enclosure
Doors and around windows
Molding
Lower body panels
Underneath the trunk carpet
If these areas are clear of rust, chances are that the rest of the car is also rust-free. You should still perform a comprehensive inspection, though.

Check The Door And Rocker Panels
Door panels and rocker panels (the panel that runs underneath and along the front and back doors of your car) are often affected by rust. This may happen if the drain holes in the panel are blocked, and corrosive water builds up inside them – especially if the rust-proofing treatment has been worn away. Check the bottom of door panels and rocker panels to identify potentially troublesome areas.

Look For Signs Of Repainting And Repair
If a car has been repainted and repaired from rust, this isn’t always a bad thing. However, in some cases, the seller may have simply done a shoddy job to try to hide rust damage and get a better price for the vehicle.

If you think that a car has been repainted due to rust, make sure you take a look at it in the sunlight for the best possible view. Look for “bubbling” in the paint. This is a common issue when a car has been repainted, but the underlying rust has not been removed.

Look alongside the natural trim of the car. Do you see any variation in paint thickness, or dull or more opaque sections? These could be a sign of repainting after rust damage, or other types of car damage.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2019
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/225743-Rust-problem-with-Toronto-car-Is-it-a-myth?s=14c486b33fc15e59e97643d37590d0ac

Some ppl told me that not to buy car from Toronto due to their rust problem. Is this true? if it is, what about car that 3 -4 years old with undercoating. Does it still have the same rust problem?

Any feedback is appreciate.

Cheers
Coleus

Southern Ontario uses a lot of salt on the roads during the winter. If the previous owner took care of the care and washed it frequently, had it undercoated, and washed the undercarriage it shouldn't be a problem if the vehicle is only 3 to 4 years old.

I bought my 03 Saab from London, ON and there isn't a spot of rust anywhere on the car. I've also seen newer cars that are rusting out already. It depends on how much it was driven and how much care it was given

It all depends on how it was winter driven. I know a few people that have bought cars from TO with no problems at all. But I also have personaly seen 03 bmw's with rust everywhere.

Most of the rust will be under the hood on all the bolts and strut towers.

I personally would never buy a car from TO for myself or for my business.

look under the hood and the under carriage. i have a 2000 and it was from the east and I've had to replace lots of parts due to seizing. and i think it was only out east for 3 years... i cant even get the rear end aligned due to seizing

No it's not a myth. It's not just the road salt, it's the humidity in Southern Ontario that makes cars rust faster. Of course if the car is newer and washed frequently it may still be okay but you should definately inspect the car in person.

truth is most local dealerships get their used stock from the east and so far almost no one notices it...except the mechanics servicing them. for example, undoing a bolt on an 2 year old eastern car takes wd40 and heat in many cases where a western car would not need that.

i say, if the body shows no sign of rust and it is cheaper, go ahead and buy it because the chances are you wont be servicing it yourself

I had a 2002 car that was winter driven in Winnipeg and was perfectly fine. That is until it spent one February week in Montreal, and it was permanently damaged. Every exposed underhood bolt and bracket had an ugly layer of corrosion that was not there from previous Winnipeg winter driving. The car got so coated in white shit, it was hard to tell it was blue.

It is NOT a myth.

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:54pm On Aug 28, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 2:14pm On Aug 28, 2019
sample vehicle from Canada

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

cheesy cheesy

Gazuzz:
This thread is not for bashing, but for sharing info and knowledge, it is also not placed in the auto section kindly do not derail, post objectively or just read and pass.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Gazuzz(m): 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2019
kindly share your experience if you have ever owned a car imported from canada
Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Inception(m): 5:11pm On Aug 28, 2019
Gazuzz:
kindly share your experience if you have ever owned a car imported from canada

in 2012 i bought a 2000 Toyota camry xle from Cotonue. Car was sharp and all.

But rust show me pepper. Fuel tank, Exhaust, chassis.... I weld tire.

Later i found out that the car was imported from Canada.

I sold it for scrap when i could not take it anymore.

@ all

I think this thread should be viewed objectively. Even some cars from Europe and the almighty US(some areas) can also be plagued with rust

The most important thing is for you as the car buyer to do adequate diligence when purchasing vehicle

For cars purchased from areas that this can happen, request for a comprehensive inspection (a token that comes in very handy) that covers all aspect of vehicle , including rust!

When a car starts rusting , it is very difficult to repair/ control such action

Personally i would accept a car that has a knocked engine to a rusted one.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by nurey(m): 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2019
I have owned a car from Canada, a Toyota sienna, It came with a slight rust from the rear wheel arc which was visible and the undercarriage specifically the edge where the car jack is supposed to fit. It also affected the lower arm which broke into two both sides one was a bit fatal the other I noticed in time to avoid damage. The chassis to had a fair share and the worst of it that affected the lower arm was the Engine chassis beam, changed that for 20k, it rust and caused untold hardship to my suspension bits.

All the rust has been tackled to an extent, rust isn't extremely severe as it's part changes that it needed. before I forget too, fuel tank rope affected and extra Tyre rim too had to be changed since it was under, it rusted out.

The second car is a Lincoln navigator that is from USA that o e nah head of rusthold, all suspension parts, AC lining and most undercarriage had moved from corroded to rusting but the parts have not been changed cause to lOosen the parts itself is an Herculian task. The car rides ok though except for noise during some extreme offroad.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by Frankdamaxx(m): 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2019
When people say bring someone down, Please be very specific about what you are saying.

If Cars from Canada are prone to rust, don't people have the right to know?

The truth is the truth, if saying the truth brings you down, then you were never up in the first place.

P.S. Canada is not the only place to get cheaper cars, they can be gotten from China too

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? by captainking(m): 6:18pm On Aug 28, 2019
Interesting .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Do You Prefer Some Old Models Cars To Their Successors? / My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / Help With Brain Box Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.