Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,648 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession (27354 Views)

Man Shows The Outdoor Camp Occupied By Hundreds Of Nigerians In Dublin (video) / Canada To Reduce Number Of Foreign Workers / The Number Of Nigerians Living In Ghana, 166 Countries Nationals Living In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by PureFace1(m): 10:48am On Sep 01, 2019
Trump’s immigration policy’ll reduce number of Nigerians in strategic professional positions — NDM

The Nigerian Diaspora Movement (NDM) in the U.S. says President Donald Trump’s new immigration policy will, over time, reduce the number of Nigerians in strategic professional positions in that country.

Chairman of the movement Prof. Apollos Nwauwa made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

A policy alert released on Wednesday by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services disclosed the Trump administration’s plan to make it more difficult for the children of some U.S. service members and U.S. government employees living abroad to automatically become U.S. citizens.

The rule appears to primarily affect the children of naturalised U.S. citizens serving in the armed forces, who have not lived in the U.S. for a required period of time, a relatively small number — estimated to be approximately 100 annually, according to a Defense Department official.

It does not impact anyone born in the U.S.

U.S. citizenship can be acquired a few ways, including being born in the country.

Children born abroad can acquire citizenship through their U.S. citizen parents either at birth or before the age of 18.

While the latest policy guidance does not make anyone ineligible for citizenship, it appears to narrow how children abroad can gain citizenship.

Trump has occasionally voiced his support for ending birthright citizenship and said last week that he was “seriously” considering ending it, though it is unclear how he would have the legal authority to do so.

This is because an Executive Order alone is not enough to make him have his way. Only a constitutional amendment can make the president have his way where ending birthright citizenship is concerned.

Acting USCIS Director Ken Cuccinelli said on Twitter that the new policy “does NOT impact birthright citizenship.”

Still, the policy, which takes effect on Oct. 29, sparked confusion among military and diplomatic groups who immediately denounced the alert.

The groups became concerned that the rule change would place hurdles before children of federal employees and military workers serving abroad.

According to Nwauwa, Nigerians in the U.S. are of significant value to the U.S, given that they constitute a large part of the human resource base of that country.

”There is hardly any American agency or parastatal that has no Nigerian working in its upper echelons.

“Since only citizens are permitted to work in sensitive and lucrative positions, over time, this policy will reduce the number of Nigerians in strategic professional positions in the U.S., ” he said.

He further said that the policy of restrictive citizenship would reduce the huge amount of remittances made by Nigerians living in the U.S. to the country’s revenue sources.

“Unquestionably, the long-term goal of the Trump administration is to reduce to the barest minimum the number of immigrants in his country.

“The policy will only briefly affect Nigerians visiting the U.S. to have babies.

”It will also have implications for American servicemen, business people, members of the diplomatic corps as well as others, who live outside the U.S. with their families.

“Nigerians who also have U.S. citizenship will be affected the most because their children born in their country of birth after they had become U.S. citizens by naturalisation, will not be granted citizenship.

“Trump’s administration is determined to change the U.S. immigration landscape once and for all,” he said.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/world/trumps-immigration-policyll-reduce-number-of-nigerians-in-strategic-professional/3geb2lj

L

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 01, 2019
cry cry knew this was going to happen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Nbote(m): 11:39am On Sep 01, 2019
Trump doesn't give a rats if U are from dis shithole... All he cares about is trimming down d number of immigrants.. Nigerians and their sense of entitlement sef

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by helinues: 7:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
America first..

Our government should also make Nigeria first

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by SaintHilary(m): 7:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
Even though Devil comes form hell to rule the USA..Wen it's my turn to apply I'll b ushered into the US by the devil himself!
Na me talk am today 1/09/2019

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nigerians who also have U.S. citizenship will be affected the most because their children born in their country of birth after they had become U.S. citizens by naturalisation, will not be granted citizenship.

A day will come in our darling nation,
that people from other countries will come to Nigeria to give birth, just for their children to become Nigerian citizens!

If we don't get to see it, our unborn children will most definitely witness it.
Say Amen if you believe.
God bless Nigeria

descartes400:
Ameeeen!
God bless you real good! kiss

COMPAQ:
Ain't gonna happen!!
vivalavida:
It's good to be optimistic but don't fail to be a realist
It can never happen.
NEVER SAY NEVER Guys!

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Opinedecandid(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2019
Cry me a river.
Instead for u to work hard to fix your rotten economy, you are there trusting in other climes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by 1mrprolific7(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2019
I love It. Everytime Una go dey form Yankee. Make him ban everybody. Nah All of us get this shit hole. Not only me

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by puredigital(f): 7:52pm On Sep 01, 2019
angry
When my own time comes to go everything will be easier

I am a professional website designer...check my signature

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Holocene(m): 7:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nbote:
Trump doesn't give a rats if U are from dis shithole... All he cares about is trimming down d number of immigrants.. Nigerians and their sense of entitlement sef

Why are you so pained? grin grin grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by wisdomeze(m): 7:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
Oga abeg give me pure water make I drink, 20 naira own. upon dis long trek I DON do, I no fit still be first to comment. na wah o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by princemillla(m): 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2019
Their policy their headache.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Sunofgod(m): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
Hmmmm.....anyway Canada is still open for now!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Sunnycliff(m): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
Since we no fit make our country to be good...so be it.

I support Trump 100%

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Evercurious(f): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
SaintHilary:
Even though Devil comes form hell to rule the USA..Wen it's my turn to apply I'll b ushered into the US by the devil himself!
Na me talk am today 1/09/2019

I. JUST LOVE THIS AND I M WITH YOU ON THIS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Sunnycliff(m): 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
[quote author=Holocene post=81825562]

Why are you so pained? grin grin grin[/quote

Honestly you are the one so pained

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Ugosample(m): 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2019
let's see how this goes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Truthbites: 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2019
Nigerian leaders should do something to better Nigeria..so we don't revolve around d world like d moon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by visijo(m): 7:57pm On Sep 01, 2019
Do Whites people faint during church service? Or it is just black people thing? �

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by martineverest(m): 7:59pm On Sep 01, 2019
this NAN chairman speaks like a senseless person..which country allow non-citizens operate or work in a sensitive positions.

his assertions doesn't follow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by okeniti: 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
You man thought Trump was playing when he said America First. Another reminder no one wants you Nigerians in their country and the mess on ground needs to be fixed by Nigerians. Nigeria needs to become the pride of every black man & woman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Mazigabriel(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
Trump i love this. keep up the good work

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Hausaman(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
Where are our Christian ppl that were praying for orange man to win over Obama Democratic Muslim party. See you na life ?.

Pls pray for orange man to win his second term by that time he will revoke the citizenship of any future black man trying to gain USA green card. Sai Baba Trump

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by martineverest(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2019
princemillla:
This is serious . So Nigerians are now threat to other nation ??
is the law only meant for Nigerians??...learn to read comprehensively

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by Proffdada: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
post=81825444:

A day will come in our darling nation, that people from other country will come to Nigeria to give birth, just for their children to become Nigerian citizens!
If we don't get to see it, our unborn children will most def witness it.
Say Amen if you believe.
God bless Nigeria
cheesy
I believe but not with guys like this in power

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by ifeanyija(m): 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
Must you go to US?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by madenigga(m): 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2019
Once a Nigerian always a Nigerian.

Come lets fix our country una no gree, because most of you have dual citizenship una go dae misbehave for Nigeria while una children dae abroad.

What annoys me the most is the country self no want get sense, in country where as of presently 65percent of federal workers are from one region despite the fact that the region is the least educated region, what do u expect?

Ghana right now has surpassed us, in almost everything of recent a large delegation of black Americans have moved to Ghana as they say they are more comfortable there than there own Usa, Ghana is beginning to invest in Nuclear energy, Ghanas steel plant has started full operation, Ghana right now has visa free access to many countries than Nigeria, the list goes on.

Nigeria still no want get sense, in this 21st century we still carry tribalism for head.

we are all observing

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Immigration Policy Will Reduce Number Of Nigerians In Strategic Profession by princemillla(m): 8:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
martineverest:
is the law only meant for Nigerians??...learn to read comprehensively

Mr sharp picker .... I had done the needful cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Taiwanese Delivery Man Falls Asleep, Smashes Into 4 Ferraris Worth $1.6million / Rescuers Recover Two Remaining Missing Bodies / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer Pt. 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.