Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,529 members, 7,850,806 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:22 AM

My Views On The Current ‘xenophobic Attacks Going On Currently In South Africa - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Views On The Current ‘xenophobic Attacks Going On Currently In South Africa (193 Views)

South African Students Shut Down Streets In Protest Against Xenophobic Attacks / Why We Are Carrying Out Xenophobic Attacks – South Africans / South Africans Threaten To Launch Fresh Xenophobic Attacks On Foreigners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Views On The Current ‘xenophobic Attacks Going On Currently In South Africa by AnointedFingers(m): 10:48am On Sep 03, 2019
Thousands of killings, molestation and unjust acts are being perpetrated daily in the country. This statement might sound like a hyperbole, but it might end up being a litotes. While I won’t condemn those condemning the Xenophobic attacks (that would mean I’m condemning myself too), I want us to put things in perspective. We have shut our eyes to the unfortunate realities that linger on in the country, though consolidated to some particular parts, but we aren’t as bothered as we should be, because we don’t get to watch most of them on social media and that it does not affect most people directly. The condemning of the Xenophobic attacks should continue, in fact, till something reasonable is done about it. We should remember, however, that after condemning ‘murder’, we should also condemn ‘suicide’.

I have nothing against Nigerians who have not spoken out on this issue, we all don’t see things the same way, I’ve not spoken on it too prior to now. The same way those that wail and cry their hearts out at the demise of a close family member should condemn those who only merely had a sober look. Everyone has the right to speech as well as to silence. You can read that again. You could say anything about those who have not said anything (yet) on this issue but that is merely your opinion and not the truth.

And to those who have made it a point of note to attack the current misdemeanor, I salute and respect you, for it is a great work you’re doing, some of you have even spoken more than most of us would even if we had chosen to speak (earlier). However, it would be good to channel our angers at the right opponent. Burning down ShopRite, burning MTN offices and stuffs like that is not the best way to go, in my opinion. For you to have thought that far means you are concerned for our dear brothers who are being brutalized beyond description. Even I had to at a point stop watching the videos linked to the Xenophobia hashtag on twitter, it’s that horrible. However, we should not in a bid to punish evildoers, destroy the lives of their relatives. Not patronizing them, that’s great, greater than great, asking the government to shut those companies down or taking the bull by the horns to force them to a shut down as well (because a corpse acts faster that the Nigerian government). While it is not right to loot these places, this issue has gone beyond what is right and what is wrong. It has grown to the stage where we only ask, ‘What is effective?’. But while doing this, let’s remember that most of their staffers in Nigeria are Nigerians and at such we should not turn a catapult towards ourselves with the aim of shooting it at the enemy.

We also have to ask ourselves how effective this method would play out to be. The South African crooks who are perpetrators of this act of insolence might either not be moved or be moved into committing more fatal attacks as a means of counter-revenge, in this case, we are doing our dear brothers more harm than good. The upside I see to this approach is that it would move these big companies to make serious moves in ensuring this stupidity stops.

If my suggestion would be heeded, I would suggest that the Nigerian government call for war if nothing effectively drastic and drastically effective is not done about it, not the stupid October meeting that our politically impotent headmaster is waiting to have with the stupid crook they call the president of South Africa.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

South Africa Shuts Embassies In Nigeria Amid Violence / Shocking: Man Slaps His Wife, A Mother-of-8, To Death For Refusing To Breastfeed / Police Nab Man With 20 Bags Of Indian Hemp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.