Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

The 3 Statues In Lagos - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The 3 Statues In Lagos (11982 Views)

25 Of The Most Creative Sculptures And Statues From Around The World / Behold The 3 UAE Guys Deported For Being 'too Handsome'(pics) / Just Imagine That The "3" Wise Men Were Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 3 Statues In Lagos by drone99(m): 8:53am On Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, i've been wondering what the 3 statues that welcome people to Lagos stand for; can anyone tell me please?

Cheers

Re: The 3 Statues In Lagos by seyenko(m): 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2010
Stand for? they don't have to stand for anything, they just depict 3 traditional chiefs of Lagos in traditional regalia
Re: The 3 Statues In Lagos by kazibra: 2:18pm On Oct 27, 2010
If you are entering Lagos,this statues is to remind you of what to expect i.e in Lagos

1st one stand for : O gbodo ridin ju (You must no be stupid)
2nd one stand for : O gbodo Suegbe (You must not be an idiot)
3rd one stand for : O gbodo ya mugu (You must be sharp always)

Courtesy: Abass Akande (Omo Rapala) lol shocked

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Statues In Lagos by favouredjb(f): 4:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
Lol!kazbira,that's the street meaning
Re: The 3 Statues In Lagos by CarCam: 6:35am On Jun 30, 2013
drone99:

Hey guys, I've been wondering what the 3 statues that welcome people to Lagos stand for;
can anyone tell me please
?

Cheers

[size=14pt]Tell us what the ‘Welcome to Lagos’ statue stands for and how it came about?[/size]

Renowned sculptor, Dr. Bodun Sodeinde, is a reporter’s delight any day. He is an artist personified and always cherish discussing it.

He’s the man that created the now ubiquitous ‘Welcome to Lagos’ statue in the year 1991

In 1989, Lagos State government commissioned me to erect a statue of unknown soldiers where they placed wreaths every January 15, sometimes in terms of making a bid by what had been identified by them.

To do this, I was contacted, with others, to put in a bid for the erection of a beautiful statue, in abstract form, to welcome visitors to Lagos. Governor Raji Rasaki, then, was definite about it being in abstract form, as opposed to realistic work. I went back and began my research.

That research gave birth to what we now have as ‘Welcome to Lagos’ statue.

He did not give it any name or title then. The concept, interpretation and everything came from me.

Immediately the brief was communicated to me, my first thought was: how do people greet in the traditional mode in Lagos of those days?

I went and consulted with the late Oba Adeyinka Oyekan, who gave me and even demonstrated all the modes of greetings, of especially the royalties. It is referred to as ‘Owo Awo.’

There was nothing like handshake as we have now, he enthused. He stated that any time the need arose for him to send emissaries to other royalties, government and nobles, he usually sent two or three white cap chiefs, who usually demonstrated the royal greetings, as represented by what we have, via those images.

After the monarch’s briefing, I went to a tailor with the white robe, modelled out what the king had demonstrated and visually painted.

I engaged a photographer to capture same, the result is what we have there today. Apart from being an artist, I am an education technology cum communication expert, and that edge was brought to bear in the interpretation of the whole thing. When the statue was officially unveiled, Raji Rasaki was impressed with the outcome. He commended me for a job well done and urged me to keep it up.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/bodun-sodeinde-my-physical-and-spiritual-attachment-to-welcome-to-lagos-statue/

(1) (Reply)

Is This Ini Edo's Daughter? / Ultimate Cycler Crash / Life Lessons Learnt From Nairaland!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.