Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,309 members, 7,819,052 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Do I Need A Private Network? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Do I Need A Private Network? (455 Views)

What Are The Limitations Of A Private Investigator? / Ladies Rescue Turtle At A Private Beach In Lagos, Sent It Back To The Sea / Android Best Vpn Apps | Access A Private Network And Share Data Remotely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do I Need A Private Network? by reanson: 8:32pm On Sep 04, 2019
Do I need a private network?
Re: Do I Need A Private Network? by sajidul: 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2019
Even if you don't think you're being tracked online, you are.
Your internet service provider (ISP) can see everything you do. While there probably isn't a guy at Time Warner Cable sitting in a corner office watching your every move, many ISPs do compile anonymous browsing logs and sometimes sell them to advertising companies. With that data, advertisers can tailor their content directly to certain regions or browsing habits.
This is one of the big reasons more and more people online are considering a virtual private network, which can keep your online behavior private. As many as one-quarter of internet users around the world use private networks, according to a survey from Global Web Index.
Right now there's a definite cause for concern. Last March, the Senate voted to permit internet providers to sell customers' browsing history without their knowledge or approval. Then in November, the FCC scrapped Obama-era net neutrality regulations, giving ISPs even broader control over the data traveling over their networks.
Even putting aside the changing legal landscape, data is always vulnerable to hackers, and almost certainly accessible to a government or law enforcement agency. If provided with a subpoena or a warrant from the police, your ISP is required to give up your browsing history.
While we don't endorse doing anything against the law while you're online, there are many valid reasons (several are outlined below) why you should make it harder for interested parties to get access to your online activity, and a private network is one of the most reliable.
Even in the comfort of your own home, doing your regular internet thing, using a private network isn't a terrible idea. Generally, it will keep you from leaving footprints on the web for your ISP to scoop up.
However, when choosing a private network for day-to-day browsing, it pays to do your research.

(1) (Reply)

Innovation Growth Hub Is Accepting Applications Into Her Annual Fellowship / Woman Who Entered Lion’s Enclave At Zoo Says ‘I Am The Lion Now’ (see Video) / Top 7 Deadly Secret Weapon Owned By China Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.