Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine (10679 Views)

Which Of These Would You Use To Protect Your Car In Today's World? / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Using Car Engine For Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Godspower35(m): 10:55am On Sep 07, 2019
Replace the spark plugs and cables

An easy way to proactively protect your engine is to replace the spark plugs and cables. The wires going out from your distributor send electrical current to the spark plugs, which then create a spark to ignite the fuel and air mixture in your cylinders. They are used frequently and can cause your engine to run very rough when they get too old.
When changing the spark plugs of your engine, be sure to change the cables at the same time to make sure you get the best possible spark plug current. If you change the plugs and cables regularly, it strengthens the life of the car.

Protect the starting and stopping of driving

Your engine is designed to operate, but runs much better and lasts longer when operated at a constant speed. It would wear off if you only increase the speed to stop every few minutes.
If possible, stay on the highway and keep speed and speed at a constant level. You'll find that fuel economy is better and your engine is likely to last longer if your driving habits allow relatively constant fuel consumption.

Replace the fuel filter

The fuel filter collects any particles or debris that are harmful to the engine and holds it in a canister, similar to your oil filter.If the filter has not been changed for a long time, it is a good idea to replace it to keep the engine running smoothly. If your filter is easily accessible, this repair is not too difficult. However, some filters may be difficult to achieve. If you can not access your car's fuel filter, take it to a mechanic to replace it.

Follow-up when car warning lights come on

This may seem obvious, but if you fail to have your car checked when one of the vehicle's warning light comes on, you can neglect a serious problem. The engine test lamp and other warning lights may come on for a number of reasons. But you will not know until you get it checked out.

In addition to the typical check engine light, many cars have several other lights that indicates a problem. To protect your engine, either run a diagnostic test when the lamp is on, and then fix the problem yourself or take it to a qualified mechanic to test it and do the work.

Check your belts

The function of a belt varies, but some of its main tasks are the operation of the fan, the water pump, the alternator, and the air conditioning.
When your engine is on, your belts will run. In other words, they are much used. They usually last a long time, but eventually show signs of wear and tear. If the belt breaks while driving, the engine can be severely damaged. Check your straps by turning them slightly to see if they show visible cracks. A twisting belt may also indicate that it needs to be adjusted or replaced.

Fill up your gas tank before it gets too flat

Gasoline contains a certain amount of sediment that settles to the bottom of your gas tank. After years of driving around and many refueling operations, there may actually be a lot of garbage on the bottom of your fuel tank. Your fuel filter catches a lot of this sediment and keeps it away from the fuel lines of your car and your engine. However, if you drive your car to a stop all the time, pull out the rest of the barrel and all the extra garbage that has accumulated there.

If the sediment passes through the fuel filter, it may get into the engine and cause internal damage. It deposits dirt in areas where it should not be and causes your fuel system and other parts of your engine to work harder. It's recommend that you always have half a tank of fuel. You may not want to fill up that often, but make sure you do not empty the gasoline until it stops.

Check for leaks

You do not have to be a mechanic to detect a leak. In fact, sometimes you do not even have to see it ,you can just smell it. Oil and antifreeze are the two main fluids that you want to make sure they do not come out of your engine.

Strong heat and pressure can cause the engine hoses to fail. Old and cracked rubber engine hoses may leak antifreeze or other liquids your engine needs. In other areas where leaks often occur, two parts combine with a rubber seal and silicone. Over time, these gaskets may break down, causing oil or other fluids to escape from the engine, or cause fluids to enter the wrong areas of the engine.

Keep the engine breathing

Cars need a constant flow of air. In addition to fuel, air is the next essential ingredient to keep the engine running. The air must enter the engine continuously, without restriction and without deposits.
Air filters prevent external waste such as insects, leaves and dirt from entering the engine. Over time, these filters can become clogged with dirt and must be replaced. Depending on your driving habits and road conditions, an air filter can usually have a long life. However, if the filter becomes too dirty and does not do its job efficiently, it can either cause the lack of oxygen in your engine.

Keep the cooling system running

In addition to the oil change, there is another aspect that you can not overlook; the cooling system. The cooling system consists of radiator, thermostat, water pump and coolant. The easiest way to protect your engine from overheating is to ensure that the right amount of coolant is circulating in your engine.

The coolant circulates through your engine when the thermostat detects that the engine is getting hot and needs to be cooled down. The water pump then sucks coolant out of the radiator, sends it into the engine block and then back to the radiator to cool it down. To inspect the coolant level, lift the hood and look at your coolant tank. It is a clear tank with a green or orange liquid. Make sure that the coolant is above the minimum level but below the maximum level.

Change the oil regularly

It's vital to regularly change the oil of your engine. Oil keeps important engine parts well lubricated so they do not overheat. Your engine will not work without it, and if you wait too long between oil changes, your engine may be permanently damaged over time.

Suggestions on when to change your oil varies, but the latest standard for modern cars is to change oil every 8,047 kilometers. Some engines can run longer, while some older engines require it earlier. Since it is about proactively protecting your engine, be sure to read the car manufacturer's recommendations for the oil change interval of your vehicle.
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/09/10-ways-to-pro-actively-protect-your.html
[img]https://1.bp..com/-O_pJGFCNI-0/XXN8VDFoM1I/AAAAAAAAC0s/BsAzcL8alMcimGfqJqDrfcLhwkTwDunbwCLcBGAs/s1600/engine%2B1111.jpg[/img]

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by philips007(m): 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2019
FTC

THIS WEEKEND IS GONNA BE GOOD!

NICE ARTICLE ANYWAY...
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by larry90500(m): 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2019
Ol, thanks.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Harrypromise: 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2019
Kindly Check out my signature
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by DrNueLpureHoney: 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nice write-up
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by omotolababy98: 2:48pm On Sep 07, 2019
j
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by NigerianMan: 2:49pm On Sep 07, 2019
No 11: TOYOTA CAMRY PENCIL LIGHT Owners should always buy at least 5 Timing belts in their trunk.

I have replaced 3 within 3 months undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Mutecgold92(m): 2:49pm On Sep 07, 2019
sad
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Innoxxacs: 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2019
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Flier: 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2019
grin
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by larryeffizy1(m): 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2019
Nice one but I never buy one.... "God I need your blessing to get one soonest"

Receive your blessing if you're yet to get yours too!! Open doors

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by larryeffizy1(m): 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2019

Receive your blessing if you're yet to get yours too!! Open doors...

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by computerglobal(m): 2:53pm On Sep 07, 2019
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by awoniyi1236(m): 2:54pm On Sep 07, 2019
larryeffizy1:

Receive your blessing if you're yet to get yours too!! Open doors

Amen
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2019
I was asking d other time no one answered. I can authoritatively say that "one mod" just bought a new car.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by badoh(m): 3:28pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:
No 11: TOYOTA CAMRY PENCIL LIGHT Owners should always buy at least 5 Timing belts in their trunk.

That is the main reason why I had to sell my 1999 Camry pencil after 3yrs. Though the car is rugged, but when I begin to experience failed timing belt more frequently, I was frustrated. Imagine traveling with fear of timing belt failing. I replaced timing belt 4 times in a particular month.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by NigerianMan: 3:59pm On Sep 07, 2019
It is a very serious matter. I drove down to Lagos from Abuja, I had to change timing belt when I got to Ile Ife. I wish something could be done to this sh*t
badoh:

That is the main reason why I had to sell my 1999 Camry pencil after 3yrs. Though the car is rugged, but when I begin to experience failed timing belt more frequently, I was frustrated. Imagine traveling with fear of timing belt failing. I replaced timing belt 4 times in a particular month.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by mhychophelha1(m): 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2019
pls how can someone save this page on phone, it refused to copy and paste, d article is very useful. and what may be d cause of an MPV Mazda when it refused to change when climbing hill especially when u turtle it down. it will refuse to change gear accurately.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by abbatoir(m): 4:44pm On Sep 07, 2019
K
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by naijajobx: 4:45pm On Sep 07, 2019
hmmm
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by chidaddy1198(m): 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:

I hope your valves are intact
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by phkka1(m): 5:14pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:

There is problem with your car. I have used one timing belt for over four years. Carry out root cause analysis why your timing belt is cutting and rectify it.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by 3kay945(m): 5:29pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:

Very strange
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by FWmarvel(m): 5:41pm On Sep 07, 2019
mhychophelha1:
pls how can someone save this page on phone, it refused to copy and paste, d article is very useful. and what may be d cause of an MPV Mazda when it refused to change when climbing hill especially when u turtle it down. it will refuse to change gear accurately.
Hi, I will recommend you use google chrome. With it, you can download the entire page and read it off-line whenever you want.

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Obivibes: 6:35pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:

Buy original Toyota belt by yourself biko,and warn your mechanic to stop scamming you or even change himor her.
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by Crixie(m): 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2019
NigerianMan:

You can consider getting genuine ones from us
Re: 10 Ways To Pro-actively Protect Your Car Engine by olash: 4:43am On Sep 08, 2019
Erase check engine light

(1) (Reply)

Can I Buy A Car From Cheki.com / Singapore To Stop Adding Cars To City From February 2018 / 12 Emergency Essentials You Should Always Keep In Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.