Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award (25115 Views)

Nigeria's Documentary 'daughters Of Chibok' Win The LION AWARD @ Venice Festival / Benson Kachi Joel; Daughters Of Chibok / 16th Abuja International Film Festival: All South African Film Entries Suspended (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by prof2007: 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)A documentary by a Nigerian filmmaker on the missing Chibok girls has won an award at the Venice Film Festival. 'Daughters of Chibok' won best virtual reality story at the festival's closing ceremony on Saturday night.

The documentary, which also had its premiere at the festival, tells the story of Yana Galang, whose daughter was among the 276 girls kidnapped in April 2014 from their school dormitory in Chibok, northeast Nigeria. When the Chibok girls were kidnapped, there was global outrage, Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai called them her "sisters." Then US first lady Michelle Obama, said she saw her "own daughters" in them and Hollywood stars lent their voices to the movement.

Following government negotiations with the terrorists, 107 of them were eventually released. But 112 remain missing. The film's director, Joel Kachi Benson, said in his acceptance speech: "With this VR film, all I wanted to do was take the world to Chibok and show them these women who for five years have been living in pain because their daughters are still missing. I felt it was wrong for the world to just move on and forget."

Benson, who runs Nigeria's only virtual reality film studios, VR360 in Yaba, Lagos told CNN: "When my name was announced as the winner and I walked up on stage, it was the most surreal thing ever! Almost like an out of body experience. But I knew this was an opportunity to remind the world that Chibok is still here and the story doesn't have an ending yet. And so we must not forget."

A MOTHER'S ANGUISH
Five years on, the world appears to have forgotten and the Chibok story no longer commands global attention. But one mother has not given up hope. Yana Galang's daughter Rifkatu is one of those still missing. Every month, Galang, 51, washes and folds her daughters clothes -- praying that she will one day be released. "Rifkatu my daughter, for five years I have wept and waited, praying for you to return. I will not stop praying for you. I will never stop, and I know that one day my prayers will be answered." Galang says in the documentary.

Benson, 38, says he stumbled on making the film about the missing girls out of curiosity to find out more about the infamous kidnappings for himself. "When the story broke out years ago, there was a lot of talk about it. Some people thought it was fake; others thought it was political," he said. "I guess my original reason for making this film was curiosity, I wanted to get the information myself," he added.

The crew spent several days in the small village in Borno State speaking to families of those affected by Boko Haram abductions. The end result is an immersive storytelling style that give the audience a chance to feel and see what the characters in the story are experiencing through virtual reality. "I have always felt like my experiences in the northeast were not fully captured. But the moment I wore a VR headset for the first time, I knew I had found a way to engross people in my stories," Benson told CNN.

POVERTY AND PAIN
Many of the people in Galang's community are peasant farmers. These agrarian communities have been ravaged by a decade-long insurgency waged by Boko Haram in Nigeria's northeast. They suffer extremely high levels of poverty and deprivation, primarily because farming and commercial activities have been affected by the prolonged and unpredictable attacks by the terrorist group.

Chibok's farmers are mostly women and not only do they have to contend with poverty; they have to bear the pain of their missing daughters too. Worse, these women rely on ancient farming tools and methods, which limits the amounts they grow to make a decent living, says Samira Mohammed, associate producer of the documentary. "They are all farmers, and it's not easy for them to be grieving and trying to make ends meet at the same time," she told CNN. "At some point while we were shooting it (the film), we all broke down in tears; the pain was too much," she added.

The women have also never received any psychosocial support, something that Boko Haram survivors, including the rescued Chibok girls, have had access to over the years, through organizations such as the United Nations and others. "One of the most shocking things I found out was that none of the parents had received any form of support since the incident. Not therapy, not psychosocial support, nothing," Benson said.

In the documentary, Galang talks about prayer being her primary source of comfort. She is also the woman leader among the mothers of the missing girls. This means that a lot of time she holds meetings and engagements trying to comfort traumatized mothers.

Benson wants to use the film to create awareness of the plight of the Chibok mothers who are still waiting for their daughters' return. They also want to provide modern farming tools to help the women sustain their farms and create a decent standard of living. "I know it will never replace a missing child, but it will make a hard life just a little easier," Benson told CNN.

SOURCE: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/08/africa/vr-daughters-of-chibok-intl/index.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by pyro62(m): 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2019
What is his surname? Benson is an English name..

Not a member of NCAN, but I really wanna check names now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by abumeinben(m): 4:17pm On Sep 08, 2019
Haven't seen nor heard this before.

Anyone with the link?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by StrikeBack(m): 4:18pm On Sep 08, 2019
Film on Chibok??

1 Like

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by OkCornel(m): 4:18pm On Sep 08, 2019
Laudable achievement Joel Kachi Benson. More feathers to your cap.

This Chibok matter alongside many other similar incidents is a painful reality the politicians and religious fanatics want to play the ostrich to.

Politics and religious fanaticism, two strange bed fellows wreaking havoc and pain on humanity.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by maak400: 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
This government must do all they can to bring Leah Sharibu and others out of boko haram captivity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Kolisky(m): 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
Someone that read all should help others summarize below grin grin grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by shamecurls(m): 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
Jonathan's incompetence initiated this Chibok saga.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by nblock: 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
I kinda sense it that it's things like these that the western media like about Africa. War, famine and Poverty. May God help the Black Continent. african leaders arise. Happy Sunday all.

14 Likes

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by bamasite(m): 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2019
Money......

This Boko Haram matter is a cash spinner

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Neddstark: 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
Congrats Benson
Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by LadySarah: 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
pyro62:

IGBO ndioma.
You arent seeing his middle name Kachi .short form of Onyedikachi Or Onyekachi.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Chuzzy070(m): 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
is this chibok thing not really a scam....I thought this chibok kidnapping was just political
Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2019
I wish the man in Aso will see the movie and feel the pains this mothers go through...if na Yusuf now...make I no talk wetin dy my mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by ehisdan(m): 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2019
Make Sai Baba bros them comment first before I comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by francis5051: 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2019
I believe in future Nigeria will be a nuclear weapon testing site

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by jayjay2609: 4:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
shamecurls:
Jonathan's incompetence initiated this Chibok saga.

Thats the reason why we voted your messiah..

Now tell me what he has done to correct the mistakes of jonathan??

Zzoommbbiiee..

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by rokisammy: 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
I have a story like this in my head....

About a young Nigerian Soldier in the Boko Haram war...

I don't want it to end in my head alone, I want everyone to see it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by abbaapple: 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
angry

I watched the Thriller movie! One of the best Nija Movie ever! The Graphic was doped! lipsrsealed Wait!!!! Oyinbo people partake on the shooting of the movie ooo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by holuwajobar(m): 4:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
LadySarah:

IGBO ndioma.
You arent seeing his middle name Kachi .short form of Onyedikachi Or Onyekachi.

Kachimawo

Short form in yoruba grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Sunnycliff(m): 4:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
pyro62:

Is Kachi a name from the moon? Don't you know those who bear it?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by jamesharryson(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2019
I have waited for a movie of this nature for long!!!
I know it will definitely sell. Many want to know the exact storyline of this Chibok Saga.

Let them use Patience Jonathan and Gej as part of the actors, I know they will honourably accept.
Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by GentleMoney: 4:29pm On Sep 08, 2019
Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by Angelfrost(m): 4:31pm On Sep 08, 2019
Impressive flick... Worthy of the international recognition... I wish Mr. Kachi higher heights.
Re: Joel Benson Kachi 'Daughters Of Chibok' Wins Venice Film Festival Award by XwhY(m): 4:33pm On Sep 08, 2019
Good one there

(1) (2) (Reply)

#BBNaija : Fight Between Frodd And Tacha Over Who Is Smarter / The Queens And Kings Of Nigerian TV Soap Operas ( Photos ) / NBC Releases List Of Media Houses That Breached Broadcasting Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.