Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,241 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

White Man In Town (chapter Thirty One) The Showdown - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / White Man In Town (chapter Thirty One) The Showdown (541 Views)

An English Visitor - Chapter 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Man In Town (chapter Thirty One) The Showdown by DODO005: 1:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
PART 3

The Showdown

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Detective Mai-Coins sauntered back and front from the wide window inside his new office at the headquarters’ of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Abuja. The exquisite building known as: IDIAGBON HOUSE hosted the new specially set up office under the Operations Department, which also is the hub of all investigation activities of the Commission. The ‘O’ department as it is fondly called among personnel has the responsibility for investigating all cases that falls within the mandate of the Commission. Such cases includes infractions that are contrary to the provisions of the Commission’s enabling law; the EFCC Act 2004, as well as a posse of other laws, which the Commission has directs responsibility for enforcement. Some of these laws include the Money Laundering Act 2011, the Advance Free Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006, including the Failed Banks (Recovery of Debt). The Department is headed by the Director of Operations, who reports directly to the Executive Chairman while all the Heads of Operation in the Zonal Offices in turn report to the Director of Operations.

This was his first day in the office and he was still trying to comprehend the sudden change that had happened to his life and career in less than forty-eight hours. He was still marveled at the miraculous directive that came in from headquarter directing him and his subordinate Etim to pack their bags and report to headquarter between the next twenty four hours; a move that not only came as a shock, but also ended their three months timorous posting. Everything seemed to be happening so fast like a dream. First, the unexpected letter from headquarters directing him to report to Abuja immediately and the same message had been related to Etim in his own letter, and then the new position. They had both been elevated to their old ranks and assigned back their old case – The Free-Hand’s file; with a serious directive from their new chairman to either crack the case or be ready to head back to their old frustrating posting in the terrorist ravage north-east.

‘’ You have no excuse whatsoever to give me at the end of the day if you failed to crack this case and bring me Smoke and his gang. I want their flame extinguish.’’ Their new proficient looking boss had barked out as they held their first face to face meeting with him inside his posh office, his eyes taking on both of them with a glazed look.

‘’ it’s your duty as reputable officers of this commission and patriotic citizens of this country to safe the nation from the embarrassing burning flames of this criminals and quench their fire. Your duty from now on is to employ all the necessary machineries and whatsoever tools and assistant you require from this commission and the nation to end the activities of this notorious unpatriotic Nigerians. I want you to skip all protocols and report to me directly.’’ With that, he had dismissed them with a caveat ‘’ Get me Smoke or you go back to your last posting’’.

This had been two days ago and every minute and everyday now counted to both of them as they set up office and tried to fashion out the best strategy to deal with this herculean task of tracking down and capturing the most wanted cyber-crime criminals in the history of the commission. He was still brooding thoughtfully by the window when a soft knock sounded on his door and he stared admiringly at a slim female figure dressed in a multi colour Vlisco designer dress made from Africa fabric, stepped confidently into the office. He was quick to notice her poise and her polish manner, including her disarming smile.

‘’ Good afternoon, sir, I am Special Agent, Hadiza Muktar, reporting to duty’’ The female figure announced in a soft husky voice.
Detective Mai-Coins still jolted by the beautiful figure standing before him, finally composed himself and smiled up broodingly from the window to his desk

. ‘’ Okay, Hadiza, welcome on board, hope you are ready for this?’’ He asked settling himself on his swing chair, just as Etim pushed his bulky frame into the office, and paused half way to stared confusingly at the female figure.
Mai-Coins noted his awed look and smiled up at him. ‘’ You are on time to meet special agent Hadiza, or Diza as she likes to be called, right?’’ He asked looking her in the face.

‘’ Positive, sir, you must have heard a lot about me then’’ Diza replied still smiling

‘’ I make it part of my duty to know who I am working with. Here, meet Etim, my second in command’’ Mai-Coins announced, and introduced Etim who was still enthralled by the beautiful female specie with them.

‘’ Happy to meet you, sir’’ Agent Diza responded with a soft bow of her head. ‘’ I guess, I am under you, the third in command then’’ She added with a smirk.

They both stared at each other and then nodded at her. ‘’ Okay, let’s have our first meeting. Lock the door’’.

Mai-Coins finally instructed, pushed himself up from his seat and led them to a small conference table with three chairs, three Dell laptops and three bottled water and three glasses. He waited for them both to pick a chair and then dropped his slim frame at the end of the table.
‘’ They say you are one of the best Information Technology staff in the commission.’’ He threw the question at Diza who just smiled broadly as her slim fingers caressed the laptop in front of her.

‘’ Hmmm, Maybe, that is what they say, but I know I am good’’ She responded, still caressing the system.

‘’ I like your honesty.’’ Mai-Coins said and noted that Etim was yet to utter a word since he came in. ‘’ so, we are ready, show us how to break into the criminal world of the Free-Hands.

‘’ We call it hacking. Very well then, let’s go’’ She told then with a broad smile.

With that, special agent Diza flipped opened her system and they both did the same. And for the next few hours she manipulated the website of the Free-Hands, hacking into NaijaPhones.com, and sieved out vital information and addresses, including shrouded bank accounts and statements relating to the Free-Hands transactions with their various victims. They all whistled softly when she showed them their transaction with Ken Solomon, including all their correspondence.

‘’ Two hundred and twenty million US dollars-Jesus Christ’’ Etim whistled out with a stunned look.

‘’ I think this is their jackpot’’ Mai-Coins said, taking note of the figures on his jotter.

‘’But we don’t know or have a direction where the money is lodged… There is no record, it’s like secret accounts or something, but there was a transaction, you can see.’ Diza told them as she manipulated her way into the website and sieved out some bank statements.

She was still engrossed on the web five hours later before Mai-Coins called for a break. And they all paused to eat some fried chickens and rice, stepping it down with bottles of Coca Cola and Sprite.

‘’Are you guys ready? Time to return to work; you need to be on the net 24/7 always if you want to catch your prey’’ She told them and was already flipping up her system and logged in as the other scrambled back to their chairs.

www.okadabooks.com cheesy
www.amazon.com

(1) (Reply)

Closed / Ad Copy And Social Media Post Writer Needed / Professional Writing Services At Pocket-friendly Costs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.