Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,353 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! (3983 Views)

Which Terrible Goal Miss Can You Remember? Here Are Our Infamous Top 10! / Nigerians May Miss Out On Watching The 2013 Nations Cup / Nigerian Viewers May Miss Out On AFCON 2013! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by wales(m): 7:18am On Oct 29, 2010
After two rounds of matches in the on-going 2012 Nations Cup qualifiers, the Super Eagles and the Black Stars of Ghana are walking a tight rope.

While the Super Eagles in their last game bowed 0-1 away to Guinea, Black Stars, who had a glorious outing at the South Africa 2010 World Cup were held to a goalless draw at home by lowly rated Sudan. X-raying the performance of the two West African soccer giants so far, highly respected Ghanaian soccer buff, Wolanyo Agrah in a chat with Daily Sunsports in New Delhi, India warned that Nigeria and Ghana may end up not qualifying for the 2012 Nations Cup to be co hosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon.

Agrah, who was a member of the Ghanaian contingent to the India 2010 Commonwealth Games said Nigeria and Ghana would be humiliated at the end of the Day, if they think qualifying for the African soccer show piece is their birth right and keep taking things for granted.

He noted that Black Stars were only lucky not to have lost at home to Sudan. “What Ghana and Nigeria have failed to realize is that there are no more soccer minnows in Africa. Black Stars were only lucky at home against the Sudanese, who are desperate to make it to Equatorial Guinea/ Gabon in 2012. I must confess to you that I have my fears for Ghana and Nigeria. Guinea is as desperate as Sudan and they are not ready to accord any opponent any undue respect,” Agrah a CAF match commissioner stated.
It would be noted that the Ghanaian soccer authorities are still searching for a new coach for the Stars, after the exit of their Serbian tactician, Miroslav Rajevac.

Rajevac opted not to renew his contract despite taking Ghana as far as the quarterfinals of the World Cup. The Super Eagles on the other hand are without a substantive manager, no thanks to the crisis in Nigerian football.

On the performance of Ghana at the Commonwealth Games (CWG) Agrah said the two bronze won by Ghana was something to celebrate. “We came to India without thinking of a medal, so to have won two bronze is something to celebrate. The CWG is not football, where Ghana is a force. As for Nigeria, I congratulate your country for doing so well,” Agrah said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2010/oct/29/sportsbreak-29-10-2010-001.htm
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Jarus(m): 10:11am On Oct 29, 2010
It is not possible. Nigeria will always qualify for ACN, no matter how bad they start.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by otumfour(m): 4:29pm On Oct 29, 2010
true abt the Blackstars, but they'll come around, Sudan wuz red eye serious in our last meeting and this is where the Blackstars need to look @ cuz after the World Cup errbody wan a piece of the Blackstars , I believe in ma boys
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by ifyalways(f): 11:11am On Oct 30, 2010
Otumfour do u know where one can get Ampesi n palava sauce In Belfast or better still any Ghanaian restaurant in Belfast?
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by otumfour(m): 11:24am On Oct 30, 2010
Ify dear, I'll check up on tht for u
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 11:33am On Oct 30, 2010
i don't see Nigeria failing to qualify for the nations cup, the day that happens, i won't watch any football for 6 months. tongue
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by montelik(m): 12:57pm On Oct 30, 2010
honeric01:

i don't see Nigeria failing to qualify for the nations cup, the day that happens, i won't watch any football for 6 months. tongue

Don't delete or modify this post. I have duly archived it, just in case you try and back out if things go wrong.  grin grin
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 1:08pm On Oct 30, 2010
^^^^

Bro, i mean am, if we no qualify to nations cup, i no go watch footie for 6 months. tongue
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 30, 2010
can't believe dis trash is on front page.hisses and leave
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Intrepid1(m): 2:23pm On Oct 30, 2010
original poster should sit down with his alarmist theories joo. Didn't England qualify for Japan/South Korea at the last second thanks to David Beckham's stunning free kick? They still have a lot of games to go joo, And it's the top 2 teams that go through, don't forget.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Jarus(m): 3:00pm On Oct 30, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^

Bro, i mean am, if we no qualify to nations cup, i no go watch footie for 6 months. tongue

Same here too. Even if we use Enyimba or Kano Pillars, we will still qualify. Except maybe the group is amde up of Nigeria-Ghana-Egypt-CIV, and only one team must qualify, which is not possible, because these teams are always seeded.

Why we will always qualify:
1, Two nations qualify from each group, or firsts plus a number of best losers. If we narrowly miss first position in our group, we will come second at worst, and end up as best loser if second doesnt qualify automatically.
2, And there will always at least 2 Lesothos, Zimbabwes, Nigers, Benins, Ugandas, Equitorial Guineas in our group
3, People easily quote our inability to qualify for Germany 2006, forgetting that we were the best loser in the world, or the nearest-there, if anything like that existed. We had same point with the team that went, Angola, and better goal difference, we only lost out due to one questionable rule called 'head-to-head' which has now been dropped.

So I don't bother myself with ANC qualifiers, qualification for it is our birthright. In afct, geting to Semis in that tournament is also our birthright. Since 1982, it is only once(this year) that we did not get to semi final,
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by semid4lyfe(m): 4:17pm On Oct 30, 2010

Same here too. Even if we use Enyimba or Kano Pillars, we will still qualify. Except maybe the group is amde up of Nigeria-Ghana-Egypt-CIV, and only one team must qualify, which is not possible, because these teams are always seeded.

Why we will always qualify:
1, Two nations qualify from each group, or firsts plus a number of best losers. If we narrowly miss first position in our group, we will come second at worst, and end up as best loser if second doesnt qualify automatically.
2, And there will always at least 2 Lesothos, Zimbabwes, Nigers, Benins, Ugandas, Equitorial Guineas in our group
3, People easily quote our inability to qualify for Germany 2006, forgetting that we were the best loser in the world, or the nearest-there, if anything like that existed. We had same point with the team that went, Angola, and better goal difference, we only lost out due to one questionable rule called 'head-to-head' which has now been dropped.

So I don't bother myself with ANC qualifiers, qualification for it is our birthright. In afct, geting to Semis in that tournament is also our birthright.
Very well spoken

Since 1982, it is only once (this year) that we did not get to semi final,
Not true.! We finished 3rd by beating Algeria in the losers final at CAN 2010. . . remember?
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Jarus(m): 4:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
sorry, I meant 2008 in Ghana, when host beat us 2-1 in 1/8.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2010
Jarus:

So I don't bother myself with ANC qualifiers, qualification for it is our birthright. In afct, geting to Semis in that tournament is also our birthright. Since 1982, it is only once(this year) that we did not get to semi final,

We didn't get to the semis this year? i thought we beat Algeria to claim 3rd place? undecided
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 4:20pm On Oct 30, 2010
Jarus:

sorry, I meant 2008 in Ghana, when host beat us 2-1 in 1/8.

oh ok, thanks to mr tif tif berti vogts and the yeye Nigerians with oyinbo coach no god mentality!
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Jarus(m): 4:22pm On Oct 30, 2010
U no get 'while you are typing, one new response has entered, you may want to review your post' b4 u post that?  grin
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Donmeca(m): 4:32pm On Oct 30, 2010
@poster; I'm sure the title was meant to be[b] CAN 2012 not 2010[/b]. I also know that Nigeria will qualify come rain come shine.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 5:47pm On Oct 30, 2010
Jarus:

U no get 'while you are typing, one new response has entered, you may want to review your post' b4 u post that?  grin

hehehehhee, maybe my computer skip am grin
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by marcus1234: 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2010
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by ow11(m): 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2010
We must qualify o! I am a die-hard super eagle fan!

Why is there no thread discussing the merits and demerits of Keshi and SiaSia? I think we should appoint Keshi asap before Madagascar beat us 1-0 in Antananarivo angry
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2010
ow11:

We must qualify o! I am a die-hard super eagle fan!

Why is there no thread discussing the merits and demerits of Keshi and SiaSia? I think we should appoint Keshi asap before Madagascar beat us 1-0 in Antananarivo angry

if that one happen, i go slap all our players one after the other, there's a thread already for the 2 shortlisted coaches, in your books, who do you think is more qualified?
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by ow11(m): 6:37pm On Oct 30, 2010
I would pick Keshi on experience. SiaSia hasn't done much other than two Silver medals with overage players but Keshi 'possibly' scouted for and got players that has given Togo a big reputation in Africa.

He was a defender and his change in tactics ( Mali V Angola) was pitch. Brought on a quick winger(Yatabarre) and let him play off the Angolan CBs. This confused them and in their bid to keep up his speed opened them up and Keita flogged passes that rescued that game.

He is still prone to some mistakes like what he did in the 2nd game as Mali coach but i think his experience in coaching two full national teams puts him ahead of Siasia.

Both coaches are disciples of Arsenal-like footie and whoever NFF picks would not do badly. A 5-year contract should be handed out and if that coach doesn't win AFCON 2015, he should be sacked!
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by honeric01(m): 7:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
ow11:

I would pick Keshi on experience. SiaSia hasn't done much other than two Silver medals with overage players but Keshi 'possibly' scouted for and got players that has given Togo a big reputation in Africa.

He was a defender and his change in tactics ( Mali V Angola) was pitch. Brought on a quick winger(Yatabarre) and let him play off the Angolan CBs. This confused them and in their bid to keep up his speed opened them up and Keita flogged passes that rescued that game.

He is still prone to some mistakes like what he did in the 2nd game as Mali coach but i think his experience in coaching two full national teams puts him ahead of Siasia.

Both coaches are disciples of Arsenal-like footie and whoever NFF picks would not do badly. A 5-year contract should be handed out and if that coach doesn't win AFCON 2015, he should be sacked!

you can post this here : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-542292.0.html#msg7046711
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Mehiedu(m): 8:00pm On Oct 30, 2010
Naija will always qualify.no matter wetin dey happen now.make we support them
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by supereagle(m): 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2010
ANc wthout Nigeria is not complete.Nigeria will be there. Relax.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by otumfour(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2010
Jarus:

Same here too. Even if we use Enyimba or Kano Pillars, we will still qualify. Except maybe the group is made up of Nigeria-Ghana-Egypt-CIV, and only one team must qualify, which is not possible, because these teams are always seeded.

LMAO charley u be wicked oooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by Jarus(m): 9:19pm On Oct 30, 2010
Yes, that's teh ONLY permutation Nigeria MAY not qualify. But with all these Madagascars, Lesothos, Sierra Leone(?), Niger, Equitorial Guineas ineviatbly in our group, we will always qualify.
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by jerryuzo(m): 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2010
nigeria must qualifly, cos they need two teams to qualifly in each group.and a nation cup without nigeria is not possible.

Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by PastorOla1: 10:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
If eagle like let dem miss World cup!!!!!
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by chikend(m): 11:17pm On Oct 30, 2010
ok, @ topic
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by otumfour(m): 11:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
Jarus:

Yes, that's teh ONLY permutation Nigeria MAY not qualify. But with all these Madagascars, Lesothos, Sierra Leone(?), Niger, Equitorial Guineas ineviatbly in our group, we will always qualify.

true story, but they gotta get they acts right tho, same wit ma Blackstars
Re: Eagles, Black Stars May Miss CAN 2012! by yousouph(m): 5:41pm On Oct 31, 2010
No shaking, the super CHICKEN will qualify

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cycling Club / My Daily Single Ticket-) Back N Better / Do We Need Austin Jay Jay Okocha In The Super Eagles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.