Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

You Tube Sued For $170 Million Dollars Over Alledgedly Advertising To 5 Year Old - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / You Tube Sued For $170 Million Dollars Over Alledgedly Advertising To 5 Year Old (788 Views)

Get Your FIFA 23 , Wwe 23 And Other Games On Your Hack Ps4 9.0v to 5.05v / Google Condemned For Advertising LUV Game That Promotes Rape And Incest / Guess Who Is Among 7 Fast Growing You Tube Channel In Nigeria Me, (gamerguy11) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Tube Sued For $170 Million Dollars Over Alledgedly Advertising To 5 Year Old by DOBOEFEMENA: 4:51pm On Sep 12, 2019
You Tube have been sued for $170 million dollars by FTC ( a consumer watch dog) for allegdely supporting a You tube
channel of You Tuber "Ryan Kaji" to carry out 'veiled' paid adverts under the guise of 'product reviews' without telling
the audience that some of the 'products' used in the review are sponsored or paid for.

The 'argument' is that the majority of the audience are pre schoolers (less than 5 years old) and hence can not
discern if it is a paid advert or not.

Is it a 'crime' to run a sponsored advert and not disclose it to your audience??

I read this story and it got me wondering if the "FTC" have the legal jurisdiction to do this after all the You Tuber Raj
is also a kid advertising or showcasing to his audience.

The idea that he should inform his 'audience' that he is paid for his adverts or for using the toys he shows
is quite absurd and for me is 'quite' infringing on the personal rights of a 'person' to operate business
how he wants to do it.

If the channel complies with "You tube Policy" and You tube is aware some of the products or posts are sponsored
then the "argument that the majority of the audience "below 5 year old pre schoolers" need to be informed that
when they watch the video they are watching an ad is thouroughly 'inconsequential".

The attraction that brought them to the 'channel' was the 'toys' and not the source of the 'toys' and in my 'opinion'
if these same kids were watching a program with their mom or dad at home and a toy commercial shows they would still
not know if it is paid or not , if their favorite cartoon has a section "where the characters use a toy' there is a
probability the toy is paid for.

They would still not know if it is a sponsored review, use or not.

According to the investigation by FTC, "Between Jan. 1 and July 31 this year, about 92 percent of videos published by Ryan
Channel "ToysReview" promote at least one product or program aimed at children under the age of 5" without "telling"
them 'if t is a paid post/advert or regular post content.

"The intended audience, which are preschoolers, has no idea that they're being pitched a commercial," said
Bonnie Pattern, executive director at Truth In Advertising, in a statement to The Verge. "The goal is for them to say,
'Mom, I want what Ryan has.'"

To me, this all balls down to the FTC wanting to guard like a watch dog every single thing business people do in
a 'capitalist' economy and to 'track' the funds of the poor young 'entrepreneur' Raj.

What are your thoughts? Do you support this or are you against it?

Is it a 'crime' to run a sponsored advert and not disclose it to your audience??

What does this mean for game streamers or reviewers on You Tube?

(1) (Reply)

Need Help With NFS: Rivals / Low Cash Problem Solution. / Soul Calibur 4 Fans: I Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.