Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace (35962 Views)

Four Men Charged Over Theft Of £4.8m Gold Toilet From Blenheim Palace (Photo) / SARS Kill Cleaner During A Raid In Ilupeju (Disturbing Photos) / Nigerian Man Dies After Jumping During A Raid In Malaysia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by titiloyeblog: 11:24pm On Sep 14, 2019
Burglars have stolen a solid 18-carat gold toilet, worth £5 million from Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England

The operation took place in the early hours of Saturday, September 14.

The toilet titled 'America' which was created in 2016 by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan only went on display two days ago during an exhibition.

Thames Valley Police have confirmed the toilet was stolen and a 66-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the theft and remains in police custody.

Dominic Hare, chief executive officer of Blenheim Palace, told the BBC the toilet is valued at about six million dollars and was a 'very precious piece'.

He said the theft of the solid gold toilet 'was a huge shock'.

'Staff were instantly aware of what happened and police arrived very, very quickly indeed,' he added.

When asked if the artist had been contacted, he said: 'There were some slightly nervous calls at 6am but we have spoken to the artist and Lord Edward at the art foundation, and many of the trustees and they have been magnificent in their support.'

Mr. Hare added: 'We have a sophisticated security set-up here and we have had no loss of this kind in living memory, which probably reflects the quality of that operation.

'The events of the last 24 hours mean we may have reason to reconsider some of our systems.'

He was also asked whether a party, which took place at the palace on Friday night, could have created an opportunity for the theft.

In response, he said: 'We have been asked not to comment on the investigation. But there was a clear time separation between those things.

'There is always a risk when you display valuable art to the public, but it is worth that risk, even now, it was still worth that risk.'

Confirming that the palace would reopen on Sunday following repair works, Mr. Hare explained: 'We've now got a huge hole where there was once a golden toilet.'

Detective Inspector Jess Milne said: 'The piece of art that has been stolen is a high-value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace.'

Inspector Richard Nicholls added: 'We are aware they left about 4.50am this morning. CCTV is one of the aspects we are looking on and that will come out in due course.'

When asked if he believed a reception party held on the same night of the exhibition's launch could be connected, Insp Nicholls said: 'I am not aware of the reception party personally, but that would form part of our inquiries in order to ascertain events leading up to the item being stolen.'

Thames Valley Police also disclosed that the offenders broke into the palace overnight and left the scene at about 4.50am.

Detective Inspector Jess Milne said: 'Due to the toilet being plumbed into the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding.'

Detective Inspector Milne added: 'We believe group offenders used at least two vehicles during the offense.

'The artwork has not been recovered at this time but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice.

She continued: 'Residents will see an increased police presence in the area while officers and staff carry out inquiries.'

'I am appealing to anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious in the area to contact police.

'You can call us on 101, quoting URN 273 (14/9), visit our website or visit a police station.'

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/09/burglars-steal-solid-gold-toilet-worth.html

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by titiloyeblog: 11:25pm On Sep 14, 2019

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by eTECTIV: 11:34pm On Sep 14, 2019
Dis is literally an expensive shithole

287 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by tooth4tooth: 11:46pm On Sep 14, 2019
Someone stole a gold that swallows shit grin grin

Wetin eyes nor go see

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Udofia13(m): 12:02am On Sep 15, 2019
vanity upon vanity

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by nofuckz(m): 12:24am On Sep 15, 2019
The idea of a 'gold' toilet is madness in its purest form and there is nothing artistic about it.

231 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by ArmaniUhuru: 6:43am On Sep 15, 2019
I doubt if them dey shit for this toilet.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by MrWTF(m): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2019
grin grin grin

Seriously, if I enter a place and I decide to use the toilet, and I see this kind toilet, I would jejely respect my self and shit inside leather.

162 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by KendrickAyomide: 6:43am On Sep 15, 2019
cool very good. Let the money circulate

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Josnac(m): 6:44am On Sep 15, 2019
wink
Very good if you ask me, I'm not a "vanity crew" member but what will you be doing with a gold toilet when your shit ain't gold and smell as bad as mine??

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Tintinnoty(m): 6:45am On Sep 15, 2019
So someone could conviniently broke into Blemheim palace and stole away a valuable shithole...... grin

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by PCRepairer: 6:45am On Sep 15, 2019
kudos! thats what is called stealing, am sure you will be apprehended soon

Check my signature, if you know, you know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by dublaino(m): 6:45am On Sep 15, 2019
Stealing everywhere!!!

May God help us
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by tuoyoojo(m): 6:46am On Sep 15, 2019
Will this toilet correct constipation or diarrhoea

will it make the poo poo sparkle

will it turn urine into wine

make dem free the people who move am abeg

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Jentle244: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2019
And am on my toilet seat made of ceramic reading this....what a sheer coincidence

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by AnusOdourInhaler: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2019
While some Britons are languishing in poverty, some high people are passing expensive shittt

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by realstars: 6:46am On Sep 15, 2019
Why on earth a golden toilet? Who own a golden shit. Na wa oo!!

I want to thank and appreciate the thieves for the work well don.
Vanity things.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Crazeworld(m): 6:47am On Sep 15, 2019
What then did they steal?

I'm available for your online documents and Print-out Slips. Check my signature
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by sheungeek(m): 6:47am On Sep 15, 2019
lol
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by iWasNotHere(m): 6:48am On Sep 15, 2019
I love it. Make money o
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Jentle244: 6:48am On Sep 15, 2019
Udofia13:
vanity upon vanity

abeg go and seat down... poverty mentality is your challenge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by TalkTalkTwins(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2019
Instead of you to hustle, you're bent on stealing from others undecided

We humans are really making the world hard for ourselves
Please check my signature
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Dansioligy: 6:49am On Sep 15, 2019
Anybody Wey no fit buy beer go say beer bitter. Remember the gold toilet is in a palace and the palace is expected to have such, so don't criticize the idea.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Auladimeji1: 6:49am On Sep 15, 2019
When there's hunger/poverty in the world,these people built Gold toilet.Ona head dey lick

7 Likes

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by sotall(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2019
K
Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by konkonbilo(m): 6:50am On Sep 15, 2019
Expensive shiiit angry

You need a wedding photography discount, check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by thundafire: 6:52am On Sep 15, 2019
They will find it soon unlike somewhere u will hear,na wa oh police will be clueless,no security camera or committee will be set up

1 Like

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by davillian(m): 6:52am On Sep 15, 2019
If they buy another golden toilet English boys would steal it again.

3 Likes

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by Pauldollars(m): 6:55am On Sep 15, 2019
A Gold toilet is useless to humans. (Not supporting the robbery) But it will be useful to humans now that its been stolen

4 Likes

Re: Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £1milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace by brosprophet(m): 6:56am On Sep 15, 2019
Forget about that toilet .... Go for another

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Angry Ghanaians Attack A Police Officer - Photos / How Much The EFCC Recovered From January Through November, 2019 / JSS3 Student And His Mother Killed In Benue By Suspected Fulani Herdsmen (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.