Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,065 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

To People Who Want To Write But Can't Get Started. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / To People Who Want To Write But Can't Get Started. (690 Views)

I Have More Then 1000$ In My Paypal Account But Can't Withdraw / Looking For A Script But Can't Find It ? Let Me Help / My Blog Url Only Load In Operamini, But Can't Load In A System, Chrome E. T. C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To People Who Want To Write But Can't Get Started. by Jacktheripper: 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2019
Anyone doing business online should learn to write better.

Writing is still predominant in online communications.

Selling means knowing how to communicate and to communicate online, you must be able to write well, more than well.

In this article, I will try to give you some technical and practical advice on how to learn how to write better.

Let's get started!

Some tips for learning to write better.

I'll use a bullet point list to give you some advice so that it's easy for me to write and easy for you to understand (it's a veiled tip: use the lists to express more concepts whenever you can).

Grammar: the basis

It is useless to talk about the various strategies and tips for learning to write better if you do not have a solid foundation in grammar.

So the first step is grammar.

It is not essential to know how to write like a university professor, but the basis of grammar must be present and solid (example: you saw the comma before the "but"?).

Having said that, let's go to the next point.

Password: simplicity

A key concept for learning to write better is to be "simple" in writing.

A necessary premise: the connotation "to write well" of this post refers to the world of business and marketing communications.

The better you make your writing simple, the more effective it is.

You have to take away everything you don't need, it becomes good at expressing the same concept with as few words as possible.

Don't use long periods. Pay attention to this article, I never use extremely long periods, I try to summarize everything in concise sentences.

What I usually do at the end of a text is to reread it and try to simplify it.

I review the whole thing and cut where I can cut, reformulate long periods to make them shorter and change complex words to simpler words.

So: be simple, straightforward writing, simple language.
Use bold, italics for headings and subheadings.
There are two main types of users:

The "analysts": they need to read all the text you have proposed to them, be it an article or a sales page, they will read every single line;

Then there are what I like to call "hurried": they are the ones who will never read the whole of your text, but will dwell on those points that most capture their attention and will be based only on those to decide whether to buy or not.

Where do I want to go?

A good copywriter always takes care of his text to be read by both types of users.

You have to start writing "two levels" copy: a copy written in full for the analysts and another print (with its own logic and common thread) designed for the "hurried".

This second level is generated by headings, subheadings, bold, italics, bullet points, images, and so on.
Ask questions and tell stories
There's nothing worse than a boring text.

There are 2 "tricks" to make your texts less boring:

Ask questions;

Storytelling.

Questions open the conversation, statements close it.

You ask questions all the time (they work great in titles).

Questions get a hold of your mind and create "open" vicious circles to act on and push. Rhetorical or non-rhetorical, just make abundant use of them.

Storytelling, on the other hand, is an art. Stories can capture the reader's attention, involve him or her, make him, or her feel in all the emotional states you want, and you can guide him or her wherever you want.

There are no fixed and evergreen rules, there is the hero's path that is often used to tell his own personal story, but there is not something that always works.

It's the most delicate part of the copy to learn. This ability is the most technical, it takes a long time to be developed effectively.

My advice is to read, read a lot, but with attention. Only in this way will you be able to find and learn the threads of the stories you are reading.

Use prefer affirmative sentences

I have advised you to ask questions often, it remains to talk about affirmative and negative sentences.

My advice is to rely on affirmative sentences.

Negative sentences can create some problems when they are accompanied by a smoky syntax. Above all, when they present themselves with double denial.

There is also a psychological explanation: the brain does not digest negations so well.

When we read a sentence with the "not", the brain will perceive and consider what's next and not its negation.

"It's not hot." The brain, however, has perceived and used the "hot" as a measure of analysis. The situation is different if we read "It's cold".

This does not mean that you will never have to use it, but always be careful of the veiled meanings that they can pass.

Later I'll show you how you can effectively use denials.

Talk to people, not to the imaginary reader

This is perhaps one of the most important tips I can give you to learn how to write better.

When you write, you think of an imaginary reader and not really defined.

You don't have to do that.

When you write a text, you have to have a specific person in front of you, a single reader. Don't be afraid to use "you" and "I", you are talking.

It is of fundamental importance that you have the target audience in mind.

Who is it? What does he do in life? What are his passions? His fears? Uncertainties? Dreams?

Before you can put your hand to the keyboard to write a text, you must have a clear idea of who you are dealing with, because you will have to talk to him.

It's a matter of practice

Reading an article or a book will not be enough to make you write better.

To learn how to write better, you will have to start reading and writing regularly, day after day, without stopping.

Only constant practice will make you a skilled writer.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Instagram Accounts For Sale / 2019-2020 Apk Installer For Windows / Want To Learn How To Start Graphics Design Business Online? Free Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.