Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands (41713 Views)

Dangote, MTN Emerge Most Admired African Brands / Lets Find Alternative To All South African Brands In Nigeria,..... / Brand Africa 100: Dangote, MTN Are The Most Admired African Brands. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by ijustdey: 4:13pm On Sep 22, 2019
For South African brands doing business in Nigeria, the fear of losing money is the beginning of wisdom. The reaction to the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa couldn’t have been worse for business, as they were caught unawares by the backlash from Nigerians.

Some of them had to temporarily close shop, while others flew below the radar, hoping the Nigerian public doesn’t beam the searchlight on them.

It is no wonder that South African President Cyril Ramaphosa – himself a successful businessman with major interests in MTN – sent a special envoy, Jeff Radebe, to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja, in order to convey “sincerest apologies about the incident that has recently transpired in South Africa”.

South Africa has huge investments in Nigeria, with Shoprite, MTN, Travelstart, DSTV and other companies jostling with local companies for a share of the continent’s biggest market. And while the destruction and looting of the assets belonging to these South African brands has been successfully curtailed by the Nigerian police, the undercurrents of animosity remain, with calls for a boycott of these businesses and their services a recurring theme.

For Nigerians, an apology from the South African president is not enough. Rather, balancing trade between both countries should be the ultimate goal. While Nigeria enjoys a positive trade balance with South Africa, 99 per cent of South Africa’s imports from Nigeria is from crude oil.

On the other hand, South Africa’s exports to – and business footprints in Nigeria – are across various sectors from plastics to edible fruits to electronics, due to the conducive business climate afforded them.

The demand is that the South Africa government should be as welcoming to Nigerian businesses in a similar way to that which has ensured South African businesses thrive and rake in millions – in some cases, billions – of dollars in Nigeria.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/22/fear-of-boycott-grips-south-african-brands/

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by psucc(m): 4:27pm On Sep 22, 2019
You can only boycott what you have an alternative to. In Nigeria who is competing with DSTv, even in the telecom, other brands are still miles away from MTN.

To worsen, matters, even the poor no longer patronize the kiosks in their neighbourhood but root for ShopRite. The list is endless.

176 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Sunofgod(m): 4:28pm On Sep 22, 2019
I now avoid anything South African.....even their desperate women!

They've blown it!

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by abc115: 4:32pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:
You can only boycott what you have an alternative to. In Nigeria who is competing with DSTv, even in the telecom, other brands are still miles away from MTN.

To worsen, matters, even the poor no longer patronize the kiosks in their neighbourhood but root for ShopRite. The list is endless.
Miles away from MTN is total rubbish statement spurned from inferiority complex and pull our down syndrome. I don't use MTN, the network I use is 1000% better than MTN

426 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by omenka(m): 4:38pm On Sep 22, 2019
I can bet my last breath no one here broke their decoders or their mtn sim in protest against South Africa despite all the noise.

Forget all that online bravado, we know better.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by bentwood85(m): 4:39pm On Sep 22, 2019
Look at the great damage BUHARI has brought to Nigeria........... No light! No good road!
Kidnapping everywhere...

To cap it all, he has started jostling for a third term...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by careytommy37(m): 4:40pm On Sep 22, 2019
Boycott fire
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by ndidibabe(f): 4:40pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

Miles away from MTN is total rubbish statement spurned from inferiority complex and pull our down syndrome. I don't use MTN, the network I use is 1000% better than MTN
Which network is that?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by monex(m): 4:40pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:

I have never used MTN and I know many folks who have never

136 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by tunjijones(m): 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

Bros which network is that?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by martowskin1(m): 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2019
Travelstart is not a south African company, its owned by a German ..... All this bloggers that can't make simple research

21 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Johnbosco77(m): 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2019
Long grammar. .....
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by shogz89: 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:

.what are you talking about.., so if mtn leaves Nigeria we won't make calls or we won't have data, if ShopRite leaves Nigeria we will all die of hunger,. Or you think if dstv leave Nigeria another cable TV won't come in to show premier-league or champions league undecided

131 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by IAMBlesssed(f): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
Good for them..
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
My friends don’t use mtn even me that I’m using mtn I’ve stopped since
monex:

I have never used MTN and I know many folks who have never

32 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by ibkgab001: 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
Bitter truth is that ; I would have stopped to use my MTN if not because Osinbajo also have a share in it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by reyscrub(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:

You are 1000% right my brother

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Toscarele: 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2019
You can't boycott unless you gave better options, it's high time investors seize the opportunity, high time Nigeria develops something better and cheaper than DSTV and increase harsher taxes for MTN so they would see the repercussions of seating back and watching while it's citizens killed others, if MTN doesn't like what they are pit through in Nigeria they can hang over

We have far better Nigerian owned networks than MTN so dropping MTN wouldn't be an issue just that some snitches would always fall back and use them

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by money121(m): 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2019
J
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by jtjohn(m): 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:

Inferiority complex dey worry u..

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by omenka(m): 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

Dude, this is untrue. Lying to ourselves doesnt solve anything. A time might come when a network overtakes mtn, but as we speak, mtn tops all networks on terms of assets, innovation and spread.

That is the home truth.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by nototribalist: 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2019
Look at those ones arguing that M Thief Hen is the best network in Nigeria.

In every location in Nigeria they're usually two networks that work faster than each other, just choose one over the xenophobic network.

Thank God it's 9mobile that works best in my area. Am boycotting everything South Africa except DSTV.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by shacks99(m): 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2019
Nigeria can do without SA brands

12 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by shamecurls(m): 4:44pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

False!

MTN is miles away...

2 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by new2012: 4:45pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

Haq haq haq@ 1000%

Etisalat is UAE, now 9mobile a Nigerian brand though.. Airtel is Indian, Glo is unwell across several locations

Exaggerate around reality.

The guy said his truth, you insulted him out of frustratiosn, you could have said yours without the insults.

By virtue if profits, ebitda, number of users, network reliability..they are indeed miles apart. even if we shy away from the truth... Face reality bro!

We can do much better but not by concealing the truth with lies

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by reyscrub(m): 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2019
How I wish glo and other service providers double up their efforts and compete like international battle, I swear, my will fade away like fizzle in Nigeria now that the is a cold war between them.

Though mtn is my primary sim from years immemoria but Airtel is my favourite data sim and anytime from now, im planning to port my mtn to glo for calling alone.

If half Nigeria can do this, without even tourching their mast, I swear they will cry to high heaven.

5 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by GGirll: 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2019
For your information....I have no MTN SIM card now....my Dstv subscription had just expired n im migrating happily to any where or watch Korean movies....when I speak I speak d truth...this is my little way of fighting back d xenophobic attacks on my brothers n sisters killed n their livelihood n years of work n investments looted,destroyed n burnt down...Thank God most have left n more are home to Hell with shop rite,MTN n Dstv rubbish!!!!
Say NO to tribalism, hate speech, wickedness, nepotism,tyranny,bloodshed,looting n xenophobia! !!

23 Likes

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by new2012: 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2019
shogz89:
.what are you talking about.., so if mtn leaves Nigeria we won't make calls or we won't have data, if ShopRite leaves Nigeria we will all die of hunger,. Or you think if dstv leave Nigeria another cable TV won't come in to show premier-league or champions league undecided

No,his point is that they are miles ahead which isn't far from the truth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Angelfrost(m): 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

What network sir? And what location??!... No network has the reach and coverage of mtn in Nigeria right now. This is not inferiority complex, but hard facts.

Let others capitalize on this situation, and step up!!! Simple as that!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Ikpongiton: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2019
abc115:

in those days in abuja,glo line was like a mastercard

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dangote Moves To Purchase 10,000 Trucks From Indonesia / Apple Inc. Buys Chinedu Echeruo’s Hopstop.com For $1 Billion / The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.