Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. (19405 Views)

Every Nigeria City Should Learn Something From The Collapse Of Warri. / Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora / A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by MiztaYouneek(m): 10:21am On Sep 27, 2019
Let me first of all say that I am not trying to be tribalistic here or referring to all Nigerians in diaspora as the same. I know there are many good and humble fellows out there who know why they left Nigeria and are making positive impacts.

I lived in a country years back which was dominated by the yorubas and if you see how some of them behave you will really ponder how they keep succeeding in living in that country. No respect for their host citizens, always feeling they own the country especially some that have made money. I was in a Nigerian restaurant one day and one man who was older than me came and started speaking Yoruba for me just like that. Out of respect I told him I don't understand the language and then he asked me if I wasn't a Nigerian. I told him I was a Nigerian but obviously Nigeria is not an all Yoruba country. The had the guts to open that stinking mouth of his that I know is already caused to tell me that I should question God to ask why I wasn't born a Yoruba. I know for sure they must have deported him by now or he might be in prison or something because I don't see such kind of a person making any positive impact in his life.

That aside I also had other terrible experiences with these yoruba people but I can't share all here. The main point is that not all of them had bad characters but the majority of them that did have bad characters sometimes affect all Nigerians in general even those with good characters.

Years later I have moved to a very different country which is more of a French speaking country and it is dominated more by the igbos. Over here is worse than the other country dominated by yorubas. Many of these igbo guys have no atom of respect at all for their host citizens. They feel they are making money and always trying to oppress their host citizens. Sometimes if you see how they talk and insult the citizens in English without any consideration that some of these citizens understand English a little. What surprises me most times is when some of these people will be insulting the host citizens saying things like if it was in Nigeria they can't do such and how Nigeria is better than the country, but they left the same Nigeria they say is better to another country not like if the host country invited them. It is really sad because I believe only some few people who have really travelled will understand the little points am trying to make.

Just last night, I was with an igbo guy who runs a legit business and we were on our way home because we stay in same neighborhood. On the way we noticed a lot of police presence but we just kept moving. Immediately we got close to a junction we saw two police officers who stopped us and they were speaking French so I didn't understand what they said. The guy I was walking with understands and speak french very well so he was communicating with them. The only thing I noticed was that they were pointing somewhere for us to sit down just like on the ground. I peacefully went to sit down and this other guy refused to sit and kept talking to one of the police. I didn't know what was going on as there were other people around as well but all speaking French so I signaled the other police that was close to me and told him I don't understand French but I needed to know what the problem is. Luckily for me he could understand English and he asked me for my identification. I reached out to my wallet and showed him then he asked if I was a Nigerian and I said yes. He then told me I can go because all they wanted to see was my identification so he called the other police and told him I don't understand French but I had shown him my identification and they both asked me to go. That was when I realized that all those plenty talk my friend was talking was unnecessary because they only needed to see our identification. I then called him aside and told him to calm down and speak with them gently but to my surprise he brought out his phone and said he wants to call some of his other police friends. I believe that angered one of the police and the next thing I saw was that they started pushing him to go and sit down where they initially asked us to sit. He kept on resisting while speaking French with them and the next thing I saw was two truck load policemen. Seems they were all together doing the patrol around the area and the whole story changed immediately. The environment became intense and that's how they pushed this guy into the truck with other people that they had arrested as well.

As for me, when I saw the way everything got intense I had no choice but to leave the place and started running home. Like that old saying "na who run from war dey live to tell the story". And that is what I am doing. Up till now he has not been released and no one knows yet where he is.

The bottom line of this all is that, though I know he will be released, it was just a very simple matter that would have been avoided by just being humble and able to show some respect that would have solved the problem and prevented any form of arrest in that forceful manner.

I don't see what it takes for us as Nigerians, no matter the money we are making, to always be humble to our host and respect them irrespective of age or anything. We have to learn to stop that attitude of I am better than my host and Nigerians have more sense than they do.

Whenever you travel out to wherever, please learn to show more respect and always be humble no matter how rich you think you have become.

175 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by healthserve(m): 10:24am On Sep 27, 2019
Valid . God bless your well cultered soul. Nothing ranks higher than respect and decent civility to me in social relations

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by nlPoster: 10:32am On Sep 27, 2019
I dont think it's required.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:33am On Sep 27, 2019
It doesn't matter how Nigerians behave abroad, if that's how they behave at home.... the apple cannot fall away from the tree, therefore, unless Nigerian start to behave properly AT HOME, we can't expect them to be any different when they go abroad (unless you believe that foreign interactions is more important than our own)

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Gerrard59(m): 11:19am On Sep 27, 2019
Not just the aggressive culture but the quality of people who migrate to those countries. An instance is Malaysia, the kind of Nigerians who move to Malaysia is of very low quality compared to those who move to Singapore. This is because the former has a relaxed immigration process than the latter. Most of these people didn't finish secondary school or at best dropped out from the university. Similar behaviour displayed in Malaysia happens in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. To worsen issues, most Nigerians are loud mouthed and display criminal tendencies.

The poster above me said it all, when these set of persons behave stoopidly in Nigeria, how then do you expect them to behave rationally in foreign countries? And these are countries where the law works. It's why I don't feel for those who were affected by the xenophobia in South Africa (call me whatever you like) but until the vast majority of Nigerians start obeying the laws where they reside, they'd keep facing problems from the host. Furthermore, my mom who spent a greater number of years growing up in francophone countries across the continent explained that Nigerians especially Igbos tend to be loud mouthed, haughty, disobedient and dishonest to the host. Which is why according to her, most Nigerians were pursued while in Gabon when the Gabonese were fed up with their antics. There was a time she was in a restaurant in Togo when some ladies came to eat and during their ensuing discussion, they asked which country my mom and her colleagues come from. My mom responded Nigeria and these ladies left the restaurant! Thankfully, the set of Nigerians migrating to Canada are of a different mentality (similar to Singapore). However, the problem is that there's a tendency most will become "woke" and "liberal" and start demanding for rights they didn't ask while in Nigeria.

OP, my advise is that in a situation where the vast majority of Nigerians are brutish and rascally in behaviour, don't ever claim to be a Nigerian except to law authorities. Try as much as possible to disassociate yourself from them. Claim Ghanaian, Kenyan or Motswana (someone from Botswana)

P.S. So-called Nigerian intellectuals on social media will continue to blame foreigners for holding Nigerians accountable but there will come a time when the average Nigerian will be thoroughly despised and avoided. Also, stiffer immigration policies will make things harder to relocate because of brutish attitudes displayed by Nigerians. An instance was when Singapore cancelled the visa free status for Nigeria because most who utilised it were transporting drugs and Singapore has the death penalty. Today, it's extremely difficult to get a Singaporean visa from Nigeria even for those who got admitted to INSEAD Singapore campus. You must prove all provable to be granted visa. But hey, "foreigners are against us", "they're jealous of our hustling spirit". Nonsense and ingredients hustling!

121 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Trenton: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2019
well said OP

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by themaestro08(m): 3:08pm On Sep 27, 2019
Gerrard59:
Not just the aggressive culture but the quality of people who migrate to those countries. An instance is Malaysia, the kind of Nigerians who move to Malaysia is of very low quality compared to those who move to Singapore. This is because the former has a relaxed immigration process than the latter. Most of these people didn't finish secondary school or at best dropped out from the university. Similar behaviour displayed in Malaysia happens in Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. To worsen issues, most Nigerians are loud mouthed and display criminal tendencies.

The poster above me said it all, when these set of persons behave stoopidly in Nigeria, how then do you expect them to behave rationally in foreign countries? And these are countries where the law works. It's why I don't feel for those who were affected by the xenophobia in South Africa (call me whatever you like) but until the vast majority of Nigerians start obeying the laws where they reside, they'd keep facing problems from the host. Furthermore, my mom who spent a greater number of years growing up in francophone countries across the continent explained that Nigerians especially Igbos tend to be loud mouthed, haughty, disobedient and dishonest to the host. Which is why according to her, most Nigerians were pursued while in Gabon when the Gabonese were fed up with their antics. There was a time she was in a restaurant in Togo when some ladies came to eat and during their ensuing discussion, they asked which country my mom and her colleagues come from. My mom responded Nigeria and these ladies left the restaurant! Thankfully, the set of Nigerians migrating to Canada are of a different mentality (similar to Singapore). However, the problem is that there's a tendency most will become "woke" and "liberal" and start demanding for rights they didn't ask while in Nigeria.

OP, my advise is that in a situation where the vast majority of Nigerians are brutish and rascally in behaviour, don't ever claim to be a Nigerian except to law authorities. Try as much as possible to disassociate yourself from them. Claim Ghanaian, Kenyan or Motswana (someone from Botswana)

P.S. So-called Nigerian intellectuals on social media will continue to blame foreigners for holding Nigerians accountable but there will come a time when the average Nigerian will be thoroughly despised and avoided. Also, stiffer immigration policies will make things harder to relocate because of brutish attitudes displayed by Nigerians. An instance was when Singapore cancelled the visa free status for Nigeria because most who utilised it were transporting drugs and Singapore has the death penalty. Today, it's extremely difficult to get a Singaporean visa from Nigeria even for those who got admitted to INSEAD Singapore campus. You must prove all provable to be granted visa. But hey, "foreigners are against us", "they're jealous of our hustling spirit". Nonsense and ingredients hustling!
I disagree with you. your reasons on why a Nigerian should disown his country because of the actions of few is unsubstantial and thoughtless. criminals are found everywhere from Switzerland to Singapore.

Even white people don't use the same paint to brush us, because every sensible person knows such people are a tiny percentage out of our mammoth population.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by pansophist(m): 3:43pm On Sep 27, 2019
Charity begins at home.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Gerrard59(m): 4:08pm On Sep 27, 2019
themaestro08:
I disagree with you. your reasons on why a Nigerian should disown his country because of the actions of few is unsubstantial and thoughtless. criminals are found everywhere from Switzerland to Singapore.

Even white people don't use the same paint to brush us, because every sensible person knows such people are a tiny percentage out of our mammoth population.

There's what is called perception and this plays a great role in how Nigerians are viewed outside the country. If a particular set of people commit certain crimes continually in a particular place, then the residents have every right to view these individuals in whatever way they like. Prior to 2006/7, Nigerians could go to Singapore visa free but when there was an increase in drug related crimes perpetrated by Nigerians in Singapore, she stopped the visa free policy and adopted stringent policies towards visa issuance to Nigerians. According to you, Singaporeans are insensible.

Black people are at the bottom of racial groups worldwide (believe it or not) and the last thing to worsen how others see you is to commit crimes or behave brutishly or become loud mouthed. Unlike so-called Nigerian intellectuals who make asinine comparisons to Russians or North Koreans for cyber crimes, I condemn them in its entirety. Why? Nigerians are black people and that's a leverage lost. So because Switzerland has criminals doesn't mean they will be treated like Nigerians. It sounds unfair but that's how the world is and is ridiculous to worsen the situation.

My advice stands: whenever a set of people who behave brutishly and are loud mouthed reside, it's best to disassociate oneself from them irrespective of national or ethnic links. I'm not the one who started the thread neither I'm the one who controls the perception of how Nigerians are viewed in Vietnam, China, Malaysia, or Cambodia. I'm not the one who makes asinine and inane comparisons to other countries' citizens when I know the leverage I have. I'm not immigration officials who set Nigerians at airports from other citizens for further investigation. I'm not the one who doesn't condemn crimes but rather blame unemployment even in the US. I'm not the one who export cult activities to foreign lands. But hey, whenever I see these people, I should associate with them.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by lonlytroy(m): 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2019
Blacks are more recist than white i swear

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Citytrend: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2019
Hnmm
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by helinues: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2019
Whether police or immigration, they are also human being like us.. Even when you don't have valid identification, there are ways to talk to your self out. Instead of our local way of bragging of everything.

I just hope Nigerians living in diaspora will heed to this advise.

Its something that have also been working for me for years whenever I am outside the country

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 27, 2019
Charity begins at home

You can't give what you don't have

It's the bad behavior from the home nation they take abroad

So this post is trash. First advise the ones here to have good behaviour

Moreover you said Nigerians, but somehow somehow you stereotyped some tribes angry
Weldone on that

angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by PheelzAlmighty: 6:41pm On Sep 27, 2019
Another one..
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Lugianostar(m): 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2019
Do Nigeria still have a reputation to portray outside our shores?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2019
The best place to learn good behavior is at home in Nigeria and these people were already bad from Nigeria and being abroad ain't gonna fix them automatically. Those who were good from Nigeria are doing well and making us proud.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by mdchikezie(m): 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2019
thats true to some extent here where am at they all behave as if they have a portion of the place...
we went to a church program one day which was celebrated through till the night and some group of our nigerian brothers started serious fight in the church breaking bottles on top of it in a church premesis which the church rented us free of charge to host our activity and worse still it was at night when everywhere was calm that you could even hear a pin drop
i felt so bad for everything we had to leave the place i and my brother,,,
i wonder if we would be given out that space again to host any activities

thankfully the priest maybe didnt hear about it or didnt give an attention to it

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by slimfit1(m): 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2019
I concur

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Neurotika: 6:45pm On Sep 27, 2019
A Nigerian alone is capable of immense havoc to the white man's community let alone 200million Nigerians living in one country. And you wonder why we've not had a really good leader for decades.... It's not the basket but the eggs in it.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by A305: 6:45pm On Sep 27, 2019
Nigerians in the country should also learn good behaviour as well. See my sig to be sold.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 27, 2019
You need cane. I know say na only you fit type this kind epistle grin

Gerrard59:

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by Bonapart(m): 6:46pm On Sep 27, 2019
We are trying

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by emmyw(m): 6:48pm On Sep 27, 2019
OP, You Want Me To Read This Epistle

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by olu77(m): 6:48pm On Sep 27, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
It doesn't matter how Nigerians behave abroad, if that's how they behave at home.... the apple cannot fall away from the tree, therefore, unless Nigerian start to behave properly AT HOME, we can't expect them to be any different when they go abroad (unless you believe that foreign interactions is more important than our own)

Charity begins at home I agree.

Nigerians have wrong role models at home. It's shameful, sad and unimaginable how loud, carefree, and aggressively we talk without consideration...despite all there are still a lot of civilised and considerate Nigerians though we bear the brunt.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. by bukkysam(f): 6:48pm On Sep 27, 2019
may God have mercy on us.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Drivers Attack FRSC Officials Over Sokoto Accident, Threaten To Burn Van / Many Feared Dead As Petrol Tanker Explodes In Port Harcourt / Two Dead, Policeman In Critical Condition As Vehicle Catches Fire In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.