Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Long Distance Marriage - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Long Distance Marriage (3758 Views)

Distance To Be Covered In A Journey That Should/will Exempt One From Fasting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Long Distance Marriage by Navi613: 4:29pm On Nov 02, 2010
Assalamu alaikum

I heard this weird story the other day and it made me wonder what the meaning of marriage is in the diin ( Islam) and what our traditions are concerning this act.

Someone I know ( a girl) got married to a man in America. She lives in Europe and doesn’t intent to go to America to live with her husband, also her husband doesn’t want to move to Europe and live with her. Her father, who lives in Africa, gave the masuuliyad to the sheikh, who did their nikaax, through the phone. Plus, the hubands has another wife and kid in Africa.

Is this meher islamically correct? Isn’t the whole idea behind a marriage the fact that the man and woman share a household together, have kids, basically share their lives together?

I would understand it if one of them actually moved and went to the other country. But this just doesn’t seem right to me. I was wondering about what the diin’s points of view are on this subject
Re: Long Distance Marriage by karmrash: 5:38pm On Nov 02, 2010
infact this is a jahiliyah act! although nikkah can be hold in proxy, in absence of husband bt nt to say there will now be a dsistance as separate location this is not in islam and marriage tru phone is nt acceptable! pls caution them if u can
Re: Long Distance Marriage by Dsense(m): 5:57pm On Nov 02, 2010
OP,
According to what i understood from this story.That the couple got married on the phone nd none of them is ready to move down to the other part and be living together as Husband nd wife.
Firstly, it's not correct in islam nd might be traditionally to join couple together on phone,Infact this is totally wrong and not relevant in every way.However the Sheik who joined them together was also out of his senses .WHERE DID HE READ THAT IN THE hOLY QURAN.He has the full right to see the couple face to face nd sitt them together while their parents must also present exclusively.
Secondly.It's not right for Husband and wife to be living seperately more than 6 months in islam,But when taking a look at the situation in everywhere nowadays we ll see that things have changed completely . sometimes the Husband might be posted to a very distant state or country at work nd which is beyond his control or negotiating  ''I mean he just can't do anything to it'' ,So in such condition he can stay away from his wife more than 6 months ,but must try getting back to her as soon as possible.
  This is what islam teaches us on marriage.
Re: Long Distance Marriage by juman(m): 12:48pm On Nov 04, 2010
Navi613:

Her father, who lives in Africa, gave the masuuliyad to the sheikh, who did their nikaax, through the phone.

What the father did was right because getting visa sometimes may be difficult and expensive for the father. 

D-sense:

Secondly.It's not right for Husband and wife to be living seperately more than 6 months in islam,But when taking a look at the situation in everywhere nowadays we ll see that things have changed completely . sometimes the Husband might be posted to a very distant state or country at work nd which is beyond his control or negotiating  ''I mean he just can't do anything to it'' ,So in such condition he can stay away from his wife more than 6 months ,but must try getting back to her as soon as possible.
   This is what islam teaches us on marriage.

Exactly
Re: Long Distance Marriage by deols(f): 10:36am On Nov 07, 2010
juman:

What the father did was right because getting visa sometimes may be difficult and expensive for the father. 

Exactly

How about that the father's responsibility is to see that his daughter is married the right way and to the right man. If he couldnt get the visa, ow about the daughter going down to see him. But this isnt the main issue, but that of distance

Marriage is supposed to curb zina. but how can it in this kind of situation?

(1) (Reply)

Less Than 50 Days To Ramadan: Plant Seeds During This Month Of Rajab! / Praying Fard Salah Behind An Imam Praying Nawaafil / The Month Of Sha'ban Is Upon Us!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.