Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South (688 Views)

Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by sebali: 12:32am On Oct 04, 2019
A few days ago there was a thread about the numbers of ethnic groups(languages spoken) within the 36 states, of the federation. It quickly spiraled into a thug of war between the Igbos in the house and others i.e igbos vs all.
I noticed three things was actually the crux of the fighting.
1. Igbos fighting die hard to ensure their presence in all states within the SS region.
2. Igbos(fewer this time) denying the presence of Igalas in Enugu and Anambra State.
3. Omenka refusing to accept the presence of indigenous Igbos as a minority tribe in Benue state.

I can't speak for the entire SS, as I am from Edo, born and raised in Delta, lived on and off in PH(oyibo incusive), and presently residing in Warri. This means I know not so much about Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom state so can't say much about the people and their ethnicity.
Let's get familiar with the associated terms.
Language : A system of communication used by a particular group.
Dialect : A variety within a language e.g though Uromi and Igueben are both Esan, they differ in tongue.
Languages are grouped together into larger blocks, tracing their origin to a particular source. E.g, Bini, Esan, Urhobo, Okpe, Afemai are all Edoid group thus they are phonetically alike but yet the average Urhobo man does not understand Benin, except for a few common words and vice versa. Again Scandinavians, Germans and Icelandic people are categorised as Germanic speakers, this in no way implies that the man from sweden is a German.
Down to the Argument that Igbanke(in Edo), Ukwuani, Ika etc in Delta and Ikwerri in Rivers, are all igbos separated from the main Igbos by the federal government as a divide and rule strategy to weaken the igbos as a majority group in Nigeria.
Yes they are all(Ukwuani, Ika, Igbanki, Ikwerri etc) Igboid group by classification this does not make them Igbo by tribe or ethnicity because a tribe according to anthropology is a human social group, while an ethnic group is a category of people who identify with each other due to genealogy, language, culture etc. What this me is language is God given, Ethnicity is chosen. By this, it is the Ukwuani's, and the Ikwerri's etc that should say they are Igbos and not the Igbos telling the Ukwuani's and Ikwerri's that they are Igbos.
A group of people has the right to choose their ethnicity and not forced into one by a larger group because they are all Igboid speakers by linguistic classification. It is like the Germans telling the Sweds that, you don't have a choice, you re German because your language falls within the Germanic grouping.
This is what Igbos are doing and I tell you with Authority; the average Ukwuani man, hates to be tagged and Igbo man, same as the Ikwerri man. My boss is Ukwuani, if you want to irate him, call him an Igbo man, and same is witnessed in Rivers state if you call the Ikwerri man Igbo. How often do you see an Ikwerri man or Ukwuani man saying "I'm Igbo" they maintain their separate tribal Identity. Yes, their are Igbos in Delta State(Asaba is one) and they freely identify as Igbos, same as the Oyibo/Oyigbo people in Rivers State, and this I do not dispute.
Regardless Igbos should stop forcing "igboship" on all Igboid groups, they are not and continually refuse to be identified as Igbos, leave them alone.

As for the issue of Igala's not being in Enugu and Anambra, it is nothing but Ignorance, but defending such Ignorance vehemently, is a proof of self denial stemed from a desire to dominate a region(SE +SS) at all cost, by enthroning homogeneity.
We (SS), know and Agree that Nigeria is not working, we(SS) feel the oppression of the Fulani hegemony but we mustn't become Igbos to Escape the Nigerian Quagmire.

N.B Omenka needs Jesus, because even with the many proofs trown at him that their are indigenous Igbos in Benue State, he refused to concede defeat.
Such a man cannot be helped by mere mortals.
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by Binikingdowm: 5:59am On Oct 04, 2019
sebali:
A few days ago there was a thread about the numbers of ethnic groups(languages spoken) within the 36 states, of the federation. It quickly spiraled into a thug of war between the Igbos in the house and others i.e igbos vs all.
1. Igbos fighting die hard to ensure their presence in all states within the SS region.
2. Igbos(fewer this time) denying the presence of Igalas in Enugu and Anambra State.
3. Omenka refusing to accept the presence of indigenous Igbos as a minority tribe in Benue state.

I can't speak for the entire SS, as I am from Edo, born and raised in Delta, lived on and off in PH(oyibo incusive), and presently residing in Warri. This means I know not so much about Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom state so can't say much about the people and their ethnicity.
Dialect : A variety within a language e.g though Uromi and Igueben are both Esan, they differ in tongue.
Languages are grouped together into larger blocks, tracing their origin to a particular source. E.g, Bini, Esan, Urhobo, Okpe, Afemai are all Edoid group thus they are phonetically alike but yet the average Urhobo man does not understand Benin, except for a few common words and vice versa. Again Scandinavians, Germans and Icelandic people are categorised as Germanic speakers, this in no way implies that the man from sweden is a German.
Down to the Argument that Igbanke(in Edo), Ukwuani, Ika etc in Delta and Ikwerri in Rivers, are all igbos separated from the main Igbos by the federal government as a divide and rule strategy to weaken the igbos as a majority group in Nigeria.
Yes they are all(Ukwuani, Ika, Igbanki, Ikwerri etc) Igboid group by classification this does not make them Igbo by tribe or ethnicity because a tribe according to anthropology is a human social group, while an ethnic group is a category of people who identify with each other due to genealogy, language, culture etc. What this me is language is God given, Ethnicity is chosen. By this, it is the Ukwuani's, and the Ikwerri's etc that should say they are Igbos and not the Igbos telling the Ukwuani's and Ikwerri's that they are Igbos.
A group of people has the right to choose their ethnicity and not forced into one by a larger group because they are all Igboid speakers by linguistic classification. It is like the Germans telling the Sweds that, you don't have a choice, you re German because your language falls within the Germanic grouping.
This is what Igbos are doing and I tell you with Authority; the average Ukwuani man, hates to be tagged and Igbo man, same as the Ikwerri man. My boss is Ukwuani, if you want to irate him, call him an Igbo man, and same is witnessed in Rivers state if you call the Ikwerri man Igbo. How often do you see an Ikwerri man or Ukwuani man saying "I'm Igbo" they maintain their separate tribal Identity. Yes, their are Igbos in Delta State(Asaba is one) and they freely identify as Igbos, same as the Oyibo/Oyigbo people in Rivers State, and this I do not dispute.
Regardless Igbos should stop forcing "igboship" on all Igboid groups, they are not and continually refuse to be identified as Igbos, leave them alone.

As for the issue of Igala's not being in Enugu and Anambra, it is nothing but Ignorance, but defending such Ignorance vehemently, is a proof of self denial stemed from a desire to dominate a region(SE +SS) at all cost, by enthroning homogeneity.
We (SS), know and Agree that Nigeria is not working, we(SS) feel the oppression of the Fulani hegemony but we mustn't become Igbos to Escape the Nigerian Quagmire.

N.B Omenka needs Jesus, because even with the many proofs trown at him that their are indigenous Igbos in Benue State, he refused to concede defeat.
oga stop this nonsense of dragging Edo into nonsense.

Let igbos fight, it's not of our business. Please delete this thread before they start insulting the Edo tribe, abeg
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by omenka(m): 6:42am On Oct 04, 2019
Another idiotic thread early in the morning. I guess if you guys don't mention my name over a d over again. Guess if you guys dont do that, you can hardly get 4id of your early morning boner.

So THE ONLY "FACT" you guys can come up with about igbos being indigenous to Benue state is a newspaper publication of 2017, which by no means even supports that claim. Not a shread of historical evidence such as maps, artifacts, publication, etc.

Pathetic.

Keep this nonsense up beyond this place a d you would eventually get what's coming to you.

Shey one of you claimed I was overreacting and that none of you actually laid claims to the lands, and here you are trying to push some more when the matter had been laid to rest.

Doesnt it bother you ONLY YOU GUYS SEEM TO BE LAYING CLAIMS TO OTHER PEOPLE'S LANDS all the time??!!

Get this into your thick skull, IGBOS ARENT INDIGENOUSTO BENUE STATE, the same way FULANIS AREN'T INDIGENOUS TO ENUGU.

Goodbye.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 06, 2019
sebali:

You messed everything up by saying there exist an Igbo group in Delta state.

Infact let me clearly state, I know Delta state at the tip of my hands is it their villages or interactions with the old ....So no need sharing reality on ground but what I see as justifiable to claims, I always take it to achieve the desired goals. Also your analysis of tribes/ethnicity is nothing but pure gibberish.

All same I can't contend because you deviate from my line of stand by saying there exist Igbos in Delta State and even added Rivers state...when there are no Igbos there.

Who have strength should continue such claim as I don't.

I have handed Delta State to Edo state to posses as their possession.
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 06, 2019
As for Omenka, even their current House if rep member is an APGA candidate by name Onuh, daughter of David mark married to Onu family in Benue state.

Apga been there means Nke a bunch nkeanyi.
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by sebali: 2:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
MelesZenawi:

You messed everything up by saying there exist an Igbo group in Delta state.

Infact let me clearly state, I know Delta state at the tip of my hands is it their villages or interactions with the old ....So no need sharing reality on ground but what I see as justifiable to claims, I always take it to achieve the desired goals. Also your analysis of tribes/ethnicity is nothing but pure gibberish.

All same I can't contend because you deviate from my line of stand by saying there exist Igbos in Delta State and even added Rivers state...when there are no Igbos there.

Who have strength should continue such claim as I don't.

I have handed Delta State to Edo state to posses as their possession.

I don't get you sir.
And as for my definitions, please visit a simple dictionary or google and if you find something different, please post it here.
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 06, 2019
sebali:

I don't get you sir.
And as for my definitions, please visit a simple dictionary or google and if you find something different, please post it here.

Simply put, There are no more Igbos there.
Re: The Igbo, Non-igbo Dichotomy Of The South South by Emilokoiyawon: 3:55am On Oct 09, 2019
OP the matter is very simple. Igbos have low self esteem, otherwise why would they been trying to beg minorities to become Igbo.

(1) (Reply)

A Bronze Cockerel Stolen In The 19th Century To Be Returned To Nigeria / The Scripts That Runs Yoruba Language, History And Culture / Scratching Of The Head Superstition. What Does It Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.