Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,303 members, 7,864,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:33 PM

Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products (24733 Views)

3 Nigerian Men Jailed In UK For 40 Years For Dealing In Firearms And Drugs / Adetokunbo Ajibola Jailed In UK For Drug Dealings / Nigerian Beauty Therapist Jailed In UK For Sexually Assaulting A Client. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by LZAA: 3:00pm On Oct 08, 2019
GMbuharii:
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Awon oyinbo ti ba oja awon coneheaded structures je ooo!!!!

They haff spoil market for hypo association of Coneheads!!!!
OJIGBIJIGBIJIGBI!!!!!!
nibo ni lzaa ati immhotep wa?
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Jakumo(m): 3:18pm On Oct 08, 2019
nick50:
UK has the highest population of AFONJA immigrants in the world so there was a high demand for skin whitening cream so Igbo man grabbed the business opportunity with both hands

Let me just relax in my bullet-proof jacket, and wait for the replies that will come. to this comment quoted above.

Without wanting to attract any collateral damage during the usual clash of the titans, can I at least ask about the statement that the Igbo man "grabbed the business opportunity with both hands." ?

Can we take this statement to mean that our Ndiiigbo brethren are blessed with a keen eye for a good investment, and a sharp sense of strategic marketing, particularly in the online world ?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 3:42pm On Oct 08, 2019
Young03:
oyibo de use bleaching

If by oyibo you mean Spanish, Arabs and Asians then Yes, more than blacks. Arabs and Indians use heavily.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by webngnews: 3:53pm On Oct 08, 2019
hmmm
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by godofuck231: 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2019
Imagine the ignorance and stupidity, now they will call on the Federal government soon, to interfere
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by sammchuck1: 5:14pm On Oct 08, 2019
Lol so they caught 1 couple out of 100 that sell bleaching creams to Edo women... SMH
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by mechanics(m): 5:24pm On Oct 08, 2019
Hmmmm.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Why do you think that? Most of the ppl that bleach are FOBAfricans anyway.

What is FOB? undecided

And I thought 80% of Black British are African migrants
so what do you mean by most of the people that bleach are Africans? You, where are you from?
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 6:45pm On Oct 08, 2019
WorWorBoy:

What is FOB? undecided

And I thought 80% of Black British are African migrants
so what do you mean by most of the people that bleach are Africans? You, where are you from?

Fresh of the boat.

Africans arent the only blacks in the UK, there are carribeans too and not all africans are migrants.

Most of the ppl that bleach ARE Africans. This is a fact
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Fresh of the boat

Africans arent the only blacks in the UK, there are carribeans too and not all africans are migrants.

Noted. You, are you from the Caribbeans?
what do they call Africans living in the western word when they are not students?

oh I remembered Immigrants,unless you are born in the western word by an African immigrant if not, any Africans living in the western word excluding students, are all immigrants.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2019
WorWorBoy:
Noted. You, are you from the Caribbeans?
what do they call Africans living in the western word when they are not students?

oh I remembered Immigrants,unless you are born in the western word by an African immigrant if not, any Africans living in the western word excluding students, are all immigrants.

Lol they are simply called black..
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Lol they are simply called black..
Where are you from ma'am? smiley
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Fresh of the boat.

Not fact.

Fact is, It is used hugely in the Caribbean, Asia and Middle east. Research it. Bleaching use is not completely informed by black skin; rather it is informed by wanting to be relatively lighter and smoothing skin.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:00pm On Oct 08, 2019
Skin whiteners are still in demand, despite health concerns

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/02/health/skin-whitening-lightening-asia-intl/index.html

Japan accounts for about 21% of skin-lightening product sales in Asia.

Story highlights

Globally, the demand for whiteners continues to climb, especially in Asia, the Middle East and Africa
The Asia-Pacific market is the most lucrative region, making up more than half of the global market

(CNN)The ridicule started at age 6.
Classmates would bully Fatima Lodhi, taunting her and other darker students with derogatory names.

It got worse as she got older. In high school, she was nominated for the "Makeover Required" category in her high school in Islamabad, Pakistan. And in graduate school, fellow students would yell "let's paint her white" whenever she crossed their paths.

Fatima Lodhi started an anti-colorism campaign called Dark is Divine.
"All this was done by my light-skinned fellows, just to make me feel bad," said Lodhi, a 28-year-old early childhood educator who started the anti-colorism campaign Dark is Divine in 2013.
The campaign conducts classes online and in schools on media literacy, confidence-building and inclusion, with the goal of teaching people to embrace themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. It has now reached more than 20 countries.
"Light skin, white skin, is still considered the ambassador of beauty," Lodhi said.
A recent study found that more than half of 1,992 men and women surveyed about product use in India had tried skin whiteners, and close to half (44.6%) felt the need to try such products due to media such as TV and advertisements.
Globally, the demand for whiteners is climbing, projected to reach $31.2 billion by 2024, up from $17.9 billion in 2017, especially in Asia, the Middle East and Africa, according to market intelligence firm Global Industry Analysts. Routine skin whitener use ranges from 25% in Mali to 77% in Nigeria, and it's 40% in China, Malaysia, the Philippines and South Korea, according to the World Health Organization.

Girls from a Dark is Divine session holding their drawings to celebrate skin tone diversity in Tamil Nadu, India.

Asia's growing market
But when it comes to these products, the Asia-Pacific market is the most lucrative region, making up more than half of the global market -- an estimated $7.5 billion out of $13.3 billion -- in 2017, according to Future Market Insights, which studies markets in over 150 countries. China accounts for about 40% of sales in Asia, Japan 21% and Korea approximately 18%.
"In East Asian culture, women prefer lighter skin tone because they believe 'yī bái zhē bǎi chǒu,' which means 'a white complexion is powerful enough to hide seven faults,' " said Shuting Hu, who researches new ingredients for whiteners, looking at the mechanism in skin cells at the molecular level. She is executive director and co-founder of SkinData Limited Hong Kong, a technology startup based on her research at the University of Hong Kong.
And, as Lodhi found in childhood, darker skin signified more than just a mark against beauty.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:06pm On Oct 08, 2019
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:08pm On Oct 08, 2019
Egypt’s chlorine craze: How fair skin obsession has taken a dangerous turn

nglish.alarabiya.net/en/features/2018/06/27/Egypt-s-chlorine-craze-How-fair-skin-obsession-has-taken-a-dangerous-turn.html

Obsession with fair skin is not new to Egypt, the Arab region, or generally countries with a predominantly dark-skinned population.

This obsession was particularly highlighted with the emergence of whitening products that promised several shades lighter in the shortest time and plus of course always linking being “fair” to becoming “lovely.”

However, with those products gradually becoming old news, Egyptian women are coming up with new recipes for a fairer skin. One of the most common, and most controversial for that matter, is chlorine.

Interest in the use of chlorine for cosmetic purposes started with a study published in November 2013 by the School of Medicine at Stanford University, California. According to the study, “animals bathed in the bleach solution experienced less severe skin damage and better healing and hair regrowth than animals bathed in water.”

Chlorine, the study added, can also aid in the treatment of skin damage caused by radiation, aging, or excessive sun exposure. US-based Plastic surgeon Dr. Daniel Shapiro, admitted that several skin problems are treated with bleach-based creams.

“The ingredient helps make collagen thicker, and I do see how bleach can be a potentially promising product for anti-aging,” he said. However, he objected to its use by women at home since there has to be an exact dilution rate which can only be accurately produced by chemists. Otherwise, serious damage can occur including burning the skin if the concentration rate is too high. That is why using bleach for skin treatment still needs “a great amount of work,” as Shapiro put it.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:08pm On Oct 08, 2019
And on and on...
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:12pm On Oct 08, 2019
England
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10069733/coronation-street-asha-alahan-dev-skin-bleach-arm-scar/

DEV-ASTATED Coronation Street fans in tears as Asha Alahan calls herself ugly and reveals her badly scarred arm from skin bleach

CORONATION Street viewers are in tears after Asha opened up about her hatred of her own skin.

The schoolgirl - who is played by actress Tanisha Gorey in the ITV soap - was caught lightening her skin with dangerous bleach creams in tonight's episode.

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by Litmus: 8:17pm On Oct 08, 2019
Many Nigerians that bleach are already fair in complexion. Pale skin Japanese still bleach. So stop making it seem that all Nigerians are coal black and any fair one is because of bleaching.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 11:29pm On Oct 08, 2019
Litmus:

Not fact.

Fact is, It is used hugely in the Caribbean, Asia and Middle east. Research it. Bleaching use is not completely informed by black skin; rather it is informed by wanting to be relatively lighter and smoothing skin.

Yes I know it's used in those places too but this lady was selling to mostly africans.

So what happened to exfoliation? Can't that smooth skin?
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by BlackSaints: 5:14am On Oct 09, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 7:58am On Oct 09, 2019
BlackSaints:

That's means she's selling it to your parents and you.
When you commit a crime in U.k. and the British tag you
1Sharon of Africa origin do this and that bla bla I hope you will tell that you are Black British. Because I've seen so many Nigerians born and raised in the U.S or U.K.they have never stepped their foot in Nigeria, but they commit a crime the British people or American always reminds them that
they are of Nigeria Origin. Before that, they are all Black American or Black British. NB: I'm using Nigeria as a reference because I'm a Nigerian. Now black to the topic, people in the Caribbeans bleach their skins a lot e.g
Jamaicans so we can be too certain if these couples are selling their bleaching creams only to Africans living in the UK.
1Sharon parents are Yoruba people from Nigeria grin grin I wonder why she keeps shouting Africans when her own parents are also Africans
people tho. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by BlackSaints: 8:17am On Oct 09, 2019
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 8:35am On Oct 09, 2019
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 9:20am On Oct 09, 2019
WorWorBoy:
1Sharon parents are Yoruba people from Nigeria grin grin I wonder why she keeps shouting Africans when her own parents are also Africans
people tho. grin grin

What's wrong with saying Africans?
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 9:35am On Oct 09, 2019
BlackSaints:

That's means she's selling it to your parents and you.
When you commit a crime in U.k. and the British tag you
1Sharon of Africa origin do this and that bla bla I hope you will tell that you are Black British. Because I've seen so many Nigerians born and raised in the U.S or U.K.they have never stepped their foot in Nigeria, but they commit a crime the British people or American always reminds them that
they are of Nigeria Origin. Before that, they are all Black American or Black British. NB: I'm using Nigeria as a reference because I'm a Nigerian. Now black to the topic, people in the Caribbeans bleach their skins a lot e.g
Jamaicans so we can be too certain if these couples are selling their bleaching creams only to Africans living in the UK.

You really think oyinbos can tell the difference between Nigerians, Ghanaian, jamaican?
Pls use your head.

A black person being born in the UK doesn't stop them from being illegal, especially if their parents aren't british citizens themselves. It doesn't work like it does it in the states.

They only refer to their african ancestry when it's relevant to the crime story or if the person isnt a citizen, why would they call them British in that case?

MOST british news reports on black crime dont mention the criminals african ancestry so you're wrong there.

Only nigerians do this when reposting on nigerian sites as they recognize the persons name ofcourse. The original articles never mention their background so you're wrong.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 9:51am On Oct 09, 2019
1Sharon:

What's wrong with saying Africans?
I know? where are you from,you refuse to talk. tongue
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 9:52am On Oct 09, 2019
WorWorBoy:
I know? where are you from,you refuse to talk. tongue

You already know so why ask?
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 9:59am On Oct 09, 2019
1Sharon:

You already know so why ask?
Already know what I be zombie? undecidedafter our conversation yesterday, I did a lot of digging that's all.
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by 1Sharon(f): 10:04am On Oct 09, 2019
WorWorBoy:
Already know what I be zombie? undecidedafter our conversation yesterday, I did a lot of digging that's all.

And? Must I spoon feed you? You'd be a terrible detective
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by WorWorBoy: 10:12am On Oct 09, 2019
1Sharon:

And? Must I spoon feed you? You'd be a terrible detective
Be proud of your heritage tongue
Re: Jonathan & Holiness Ikpere Sentenced In UK For Selling Skin-Whitening Products by BlackSaints: 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2019
1Sharon:

You really think oyinbos can tell the difference between Nigerians, Ghanaian, jamaican?
Pls use your head.

A black person being born in the UK doesn't stop them from being illegal, especially if their parents aren't british citizens themselves. It doesn't work like it does it in the states.

They only refer to their african ancestry when it's relevant to the crime story or if the person isnt a citizen, why would they call them British in that case?

MOST british news reports on black crime dont mention the criminals african ancestry so you're wrong there.

Only nigerians do this when reposting on nigerian sites as they recognize the persons name ofcourse. The original articles never mention their background so you're wrong.

Ok.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dismissed Soldier To Die By Hanging For Killing Girlfriend / Police Arrest Man Who Did Thanksgiving In Church After Securing Fake Police Job / Fulani Inmates Vow To Change Their Ways After Being Locked Up In Prison. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.