Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects (35147 Views)

Maguire: "He Is Not The Worst Defender In The History Of The EPL" -- Tijani Abdu / Messi Has Second-Worst Conversion Rate Of Any Player In Europe’s Top Five League / Ronaldo Is Now The Second Worst Free-kick Taker In Serie A History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Samakus(m): 11:24am On Oct 09, 2019
Arsenal defender Shkodran Mustafi has laughed off the suggestion that he is the ‘second-worst defender in world football’.

The German was selected in a poll by Marca, voted for by over 150,000 people, as the second-worst defensive player of the season, behind Manchester United’s Phil Jones.

While Mustafi admitted his form has suffered in the past year, he stated that the online poll does not bother him.

“But shortly after Christmas 2018 there was a kink. I’ve made a few mistakes and they’ve created a mess that I’ve never experienced before.”

One game in particular where Mustafi endured a torrid night was during a 5-1 defeat to Liverpool in December 2018, but the centre-back has revealed he was not fit to play in that encounter and only featured as a favour to manager Unai Emery.

“I had missed three weeks injured and then went into the game without training with the team because the coach needed me,” he said.

“At half-time it was 4-1, I had a few bad moments and injured myself again. Afterwards, I got a lot of negative comments from Arsenal fans on Instagram and Twitter, and articles were written in which I was harshly criticised.

“I’m self-critical enough to realise that I made mistakes,” he added. “I can also deal with tough criticism. But the criticism has become escalated and irrational. I have become a target. At some point, people even blamed me for a defeat I had not played in at all.”

Despite Mustafi’s poor recent showings, the former Valencia man has said he still believes in his own ability.

“There were days when I really doubted something about myself. But at some point I realised that I am mentally strong.

“Something my wife said helped me a lot: ‘If you were really as bad as people are making you out, you would never have been a world champion and Arsenal player, something must have brought you here’. Since then I can handle it better.”

Much of the criticism aimed at the Germany international has come from social media and Mustafi believes many football fans only use the online platforms to poke fun at players.

“Football has become more inhumane,” he said. “Social media has also contributed to this, because anyone can comment, without names. People can unload their frustrations directly on us.

“It is no longer about the sport, but only to discredit someone to get as many likes as possible. I would like to see more restrictions in the future. What’s on the internet will never disappear. And I’m worried that this will eventually affect my children.”

http://samakus.edublogs.org/2019/10/09/arsenals-shkodran-mustafi-voted-second-worst-defender-in-the-world-behind-phil-jones-he-disagrees/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by paiz: 11:25am On Oct 09, 2019
Arsenal has been trying this season though but this Mustafi is worst.
I am a Man Utd fan but going to relegation this season will give me Joy.

Please today is my birthday

show me some love Biko

Please check my signature and put a smile on a brother's face

220 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Samakus(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2019
Mustafi ezigbo onye owo

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Zowccbw: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2019
That's good for them
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Huncho19: 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
Who wouldn't? He sounds Nigerian sef

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by drips8(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
He sucks
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by gabazin080(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
ny
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by gabazin080(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2019
true

1 Like

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by mytime24(f): 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
tongue
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Femich18(m): 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
Funny
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by biggerboyc(m): 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
How can an European player be the worse defender in the world, when we have players in Nigeria premier league. The just want to get to the guy by all means

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Creamz(m): 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
This guy isn't good enough to be in a top club like Arsenal. I hope he improves anyways

3 Likes

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by NaijaRoyalty(m): 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
Back to sender things grin
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by TwentyOnePilots(m): 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2019
He for collect am or wetin!!? undecided

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by ppreye(m): 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2019
Lols! People wicked
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by tillaman(m): 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2019
grin
Who wouldn’t reject such ??
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2019
as long as phil jones is no 1 there's no problem

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Ulaga12: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2019
lol i remember when Phil Jones used to be a very tough defender grin

23 Likes

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by ainas247: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2019
grin Nah them...
lols why Man u and Arsenal

Do you have a business?
rank it fast on google chat up
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by 01mcfadden(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2019
Humans are losing their humanity.

I love the wife, you didn't become a world champion and an Arsenal player by being second worst in the world.

Don't think too much of the negative vibes, those who haven't done any meaningful thing in their lives will be the first to tell you how bad you are at yours.
You are just having a dip in form, you'd be back!
Listen to your wife and discard the opinions of the stupid fans

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Andersonjr(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2019
Phil Jones the worst defender ever grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by UdyOgwoUde(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2019
Creamz:
This guy isn't good enough to be in a top club like Arsenal. I hope he improves anyways

Is Arsenal a top club? grin

4 Likes

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by shyvicky: 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2019
Chelsea Zuma is worst

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2019
True talk, I hope you improve man

1 Like

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Boyooosa(m): 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2019
wonderful! grin grin grin grin

Surprised local man exclaimed!
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2019
This one go just dey let dem talk to am anyhow now.
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by OlawaleBammie: 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2019
Creamz:

Which top club??

Abi u no knw wetin top club mean again??

30 Likes

Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by ZombieTAMER: 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2019
Huncho19:
Who wouldn't? He sounds Nigerian sef

Nothing Nigerian about it

He's Turkish
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by SHEAU(m): 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2019
Sorry bro
Re: Shkodran Mustafi Voted Second Worst Defender In The World. He Objects by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2019
He said he made a few mistakes. So hilarious grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Real Madrid Fans Boo Gareth Bale On Return After Wales Flag Incident / Mainz 05 Football Club Savagely Hits Back At A Racist Fan After Racist Comments / Senegal Vs Egypt : 2022 World Cup Qualifier (3 - 1)pens On 29th March 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.