Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,023 members, 7,810,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? (1505 Views)

Python Vs PHP / Python Vs Php / ASP.NET MVC [C#] Php Laravel - Training From Scratch-apply now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by MrCodeSolo: 12:11pm On Oct 10, 2019
Culled From: https://www.dailyrazor.com/blog/codeigniter-vs-laravel/

CodeIgniter vs Laravel – The Difference Between Laravel and CodeIgniter
Developers looking for reliable PHP frameworks have a few choices now. In the past, syntax was clunky, but you’ve got a lot more options now with elegant solutions to embedding PHP code or combining directly with web frameworks. So in this article we’ll take a look at CodeIgniter vs Laravel – two popular PHP web development frameworks.
CodeIgniter and Laravel are two of your options, but which one should you choose? The answer depends on what you’re developing.
We’ve broken down a few basics in our CodeIgniter vs Laravel review. Read on to find out which one is going to suit your needs best.
CodeIgniter vs Laravel Framework
Let’s break it down to the basics.

CodeIgniter vs Laravel: Model View Controller
Both CodeIgniter and Laravel use MVC patterns. This pattern speeds up design because developers can develop code for current projects and reuse it with others without rewriting. MVC separates design into three fundamental components. The model (or data) presents the user with a list of object choices. The view is the presentation of information based on user requests. The controller is how the website interprets user requests.
It’s replicable because these components aren’t dependent on specific criteria in each section. They can stand alone, making it simple to drag and drop elements of scripting into other applications.
Laravel’s MVC pattern is vast and well documented. CodeIgniter’s is simple to learn and implement. CodeIgniter’s is unique, however, because it’s one of the only PHP frameworks that doesn’t require the user to operate solely within MVC.
Winner: Depends on the scale of the application. Laravel for enterprise/B2B builds and CodeIgniter for small, personal projects.
Laravel vs CodeIgniter: Database Structure
Notably, Laravel uses object-relational mapping, database structures that organize information. Information is arranged in tables with objects having clear relationships to one another. This system allows developers to display complex relationships for user queries.
A good example is a payroll system. The employee relates to the pay structure, tax bracket, withholding structure, and overtime. The developer can key in different relationships for these queries allowing broader business applications.
Laravel also has the option of data query, not just ORM. This can create some inconsistencies within queries and return null results because of discrepancies between
Elequent ORM and Query Builder .
CodeIgniter uses object-oriented mapping. Each object contains data without having to relate specifically to a relationship. Object-oriented databases (OODB) are better than ORM for storing unrelated data or data that has no simple organization pattern. It’s best for arranging pictures or videos for example.
Queries are more consistent and faster. Developers can reuse established object codes without rewriting, but they can’t display the same type of relationship pattern as ORM.
Winner: Again, depends. Business databases are better off using Laravel while independent, creative-oriented websites may find CodeIgniter faster and less clunky.

CodeIgniter vs Laravel: Maintenance
Laravel’s framework emphasizes easy maintenance. This feature is great for enterprise builds that will change over time as the company evolves. Developers who know they’ll be performing routine maintenance for a site might find Laravel easier to work with.
CodeIgniter doesn’t handle maintenance well at all. The framework emphasizes building speed and maintaining a small footprint. It doesn’t support modular separation, so a developer will spend a lot more time rewriting codes to update the site.
Winner: Laravel
Laravel vs CodeIgniter: Templates and Libraries
CodeIgniter doesn’t have a global template system. Again, this framework is light and maintains an ultra-small footprint. It just doesn’t have the template system or robust libraries that a more developed PHP framework has.
Laravel uses Blade Templates . It renders information without messing with MVC. Developers can render HTML, for example, without the PHP spaghetti codes required of many other PHP frameworks.
CodeIgniter does offer a few libraries, but on the whole, they aren’t nearly as exhaustive. Laravel’s system is well documented and scalable, allowing developers to access those building blocks without building a whole new code.
Winner: Laravel
The Good And The Bad – Pros & Cons
CodeIgniter vs Laravel is a matter of what application you’re building. They both work within PHP, but the implementation is going to be very different.
CodeIgniter
We recommend CodeIgniter for beginner developers trying to master a language quickly. It’s best suited to light web applications that won’t require a lot of maintenance in the future.
Pros:
Small footprint (storage requirements are only about 256 MB)
Better for executing fast or small-scale web applications, especially personal websites
Doesn’t require the developer to remain in MVC pattern
Easy to learn and ultra-fast to master
OODB handles non-relational information better
Cons
No global template structure and a small library offering
Future maintenance will be a massive headache, possibly requiring rewriting large amounts of code
Does not support modular
Laravel
We recommend Laravel for developers building enterprise or B2B websites that must evolve with changing web trends. It takes a little bit longer to master on the front end, but with exhaustive libraries and robust templates, maintenance will be a lot more simple.
Pros
Blade templates provide an elegant solution to HTML without spaghetti codes
Offers exhaustive libraries and better documentation than CodeIgniter
ORM delivers business solutions for relational objects and organized structure
Fulfills security requirements needed for modern websites
Offers IOC support and comes with Artisan, a built-in CI, making it better for enterprise solutions
Cons
Query builder and Elegant ORM inconsistencies may return invalid queries
Laravel doesn’t import legacy systems well
Bloated codes aren’t lightweight. The footprint is going to be massive compared to CodeIgniter
CodeIgniter vs Laravel: Final Thoughts
Your application’s purpose and future will decide between these two options. Smaller solutions are quick with CodeIgniter. Laravel builds solutions that take the broad, long view into consideration. Choose accordingly. That’s our Laravel vs CodeIgniter final
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by MrCodeSolo: 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2019
Php laravel it is.... cool

1 Like

Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by Xandelle: 9:30am On Oct 13, 2019
Dependence on libraries isn't such a good thing.
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:12am On Oct 13, 2019
Vanilla PHP

1 Like

Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by xamuel17(m): 11:35am On Oct 13, 2019
I have been a java developer for years , so I decided to add php to my skill set ...php codes looked so ugly to me until I discovered codeigniter for small scale side jobs .... Mehn, I love the framework so much... I have built a lot of RestApi's and Web applications with it .....if your a java developer and you have worked with spring framework , then codeigniter would be a breeze!

NB: laravel is awesome too, but best for enterprise applications

2 Likes

Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by Rahulexpress(m): 10:32am On Nov 01, 2019
In the case of our applications requires to face interactions with various database we will acquire Codeigniter. While in case our applications need to supports interactions with varieties of a database we go with Laravel Developmenthttps://www.expresstechsoftwares.com/laravel-development-company/
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by talk2hb1(m): 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
Learn both but CodeIgniter first and Laravel later. then make your decision
Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by cliqtips: 1:10am On Nov 04, 2019
Please someone should share resources, I've been stuck learning Codeigniter on youtube.
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by jellybabee(f): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2020
Mr Richdee1 pls kindly call me ,so that we can discuss d issue . will b waiting
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by biden123(m): 10:41am On Dec 24, 2020
cliqtips:
Please someone should share resources, I've been stuck learning Codeigniter on youtube.
Lol you don't need to learn codeigniter.
Once you understand PHP OOP you are good to go.

1 Like

Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by Karleb(m): 10:55am On Dec 24, 2020
biden123:

You know there was a time I thought ::class was a Laravel feature. Until I went back to PHP OOP.

PHP frameworks are all similar with exception of WordPress lipsrsealed.
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by biden123(m): 11:01am On Dec 24, 2020
Karleb:

You know there was a time I thought ::class was a Laravel feature. Until I went back to PHP OOP.

PHP frameworks are all similar with exception of WordPress lipsrsealed.
WordPress is not a framework. It's CMS(content management system).
Even people with zero technical knowledge can use WordPress.
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by cliqtips: 9:57am On Jan 03, 2021
biden123:

share me resources please
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by excanny: 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2021
cliqtips:

I can teach you codeigniter. I hope its not version 3 you are struggling with? You need to start learning codeigniter 4. Version 4 is very sweet to learn and extremely fast.

You can reach me via whatsapp 07030595988 if you are still stuck.
Re: Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? by cliqtips: 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2021
Thank you for your response.
In case you have resources, please share with me.

excanny:

I can teach you codeigniter. I hope its not version 3 you are struggling with? You need to start learning codeigniter 4. Version 4 is very sweet to learn and extremely fast.

You can reach me via whatsapp 07030595988 if you are still stuck.

(1) (Reply)

NL API ? / Where Can I Learn Java In Lagos / Autodesk For Engineers, Architects Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.