Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift (34568 Views)

2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / Son Squanders N2m Raised For Father's Burial, Abandons Corpse In Mortuary / Boy Becomes Child Beggar’s Friend In Calabar; Wants Him In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by ijustdey: 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2019
A beggar and a labourer had a chance meeting with a man from “dreamland” and their stories changed dramatically. JOHN OFIKEHNUA reports

IT LOOKS like a fairy tale from a fiction book, or a folklore, told by a talented storyteller. It is the story of an Abuja beggar, Fatima Adamu, and an itinerant labourer, Usher Titus. Ordinarily, it sounds too good to be true, but it is real! It began on a cloudy afternoon at Wuse 2 area some three weeks ago. For five years, Fatima has been eking out a living as a street beggar, choosing a particular location in the highbrow district as her “duty post”.

The 41-year-old widow and mother of seven had set out as usual, with her little daughter for the day’s schedule of a typical mendicant. Since she started begging after her husband’s death, collections usually come in trickles of N10, N20, N50, N100 and N200 on very rare occasions. She usually raked in an average of N400 as daily take-home or N500-N600 on a good day. Then suddenly, this unusual alms giver appeared from nowhere. Fatima reeled out her practised chants, focusing on the well dressed prospective giver with expectation.

But instead of giving out his alms and walking away as others do, the strange man started asking Fatima questions. There was, however, a language barrier as the man could only communicate with her in English Language. Fatima, who had never stepped her feet in any classroom all her life, could not understand what the stranger was saying. Ba n’da jin turenchi ( I don’t understand English) was her response.

An itinerant labourer, Usher Titus, was sitting a few metres away, watching the unfolding drama. He couldn’t get anyone to engage his services all day, so he had plenty of time to play with. The man beckoned to Titus to help interpret what the beggar was saying. And Titus joined the two who could not understand each other. That was how Titus, a 34-year-old native of insurgency ravaged Gwoza, Borno State, became an interpreter. He attended secondary school and speaks Hausa fluently so he could understand what the two were saying in their different languages. And with the help of Titus, the man got to know the pathetic story of Fatima and how she came about begging.

After listening to her story, the man decided immediately to change Fatima’s life for good. Speaking through the interpreter (Titus), the man promised to give Fatima N1million to start a business. Then he looked at Titus and said, “I will give you N1million also.”

Although Titus, unlike Fatima, knew exactly what a million naira is, he considered the strange offer a ruse. Then the man gave out his complimentary card and asked Fatima and Titus to come and collect the N1million each he promised them. It took them three weeks to respond to the invitation, apparently in doubt of the man’s sincerity. With nothing to lose, Titus linked up with Fatima and they proceeded to the address indicated in the man’s complimentary card.

So, on September 8, 2019, in the afternoon, the two arrived at the Abuja office of Belema Oil Producing Limited where they met with the “strange man”, Mr. Jack-Rich Tien Jnr, Founder/President of the company. Tien, an Engineer, received his visitors with open arms and was delighted that they honoured the invitation. And like play, like play, as it is said in street parlance, the oil magnate summoned his staffers and ordered them to arrange the cash in two parcels of N1 million each.

On sighting the raw cash, the beggar and the labourer started to quiver in disbelief. They became nervous. Their dream became a reality when the oil magnate handed them the money. There was, however, a mild drama as Fatima had no bank account to deposit the cash. As she was informed of the risk of handling a huge amount of cash by herself, she became momentarily disillusioned, thinking that the oil magnate had changed his mind. She suggested that the money be placed in the bank account of her 25-year-old son, Bashiru. But Tien initially expressed misgivings over the trustworthiness of today’s young men, fearing Bahiru might end up squandering the money.

But Fatima vouched for her son’s integrity and was able to convince the oil chief to get the money deposited in Bahiru’s account. With goose pimples stringing all over him, Titus could not believe his luck as he narrated his story and how he stumbled on Tien. “I finished from Government Secondary School, Gwoza in 2004. I wrote and passed the Senior Secondaey School Certificate, but since all my siblings are in school and my father is not capable of sponsoring all of us. I had to do menial jobs for sustenance. On that fateful day, I was on a site in Wuse 2, where Senator Philip Aduda had just bought a house that we were refurbishing. I was taken as a labourer there when we met. I had worked with construction companies before now”
Asked whether he knew Jack-Tien before the encounter, he said: “No, he didn’t know me. It was just God’s doing”.

Titus said the gesture has taught him some lessons about giving. According to him, when the CEO asked him how much he required to start his own business, he requested for N600,000. Now he has got N1million from a man he just met by chance. On what he intends doing with the money, Titus said he was going to rent a shop where he would be selling bags of cement.

Fatima said Tien has made her realise that differences in religion and ethnic groups are no barriers to philanthropy. She promised to manage the fund prudently to avoid returning to the streets for begging. “Allah, I thank you, Tien, I thank you. I will continue to pray for Tien for the rest of my life,” she said.

Titus thanked the Belemaoil chief profusely, saying he will ever remain grateful to the man who has touched his life and changed his story.

Tien’s company also has a Foundation that runs a charity. Its Programme Adviser, Mr. Obinna Nwaneri, said the Foundation stands for charity and service to humanity.

Nwaneri said Tien has always demonstrated a strong passion for business support and fighting poverty.

Tien, who is the Foundation’s President, said in addition to the cash gift, the Foundation will organise an entrepreneurship training for two beneficiaries in the Hausa Language.

https://thenationonlineng.net/drama-as-abuja-beggar-translator-receive-n2m-cash-gift/

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Chepos1(m): 12:55pm On Oct 11, 2019
Nice gesture, may God reward him.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by uzedo1(m): 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2019
When oluwa pick your call

45 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by chibike69: 3:00pm On Oct 11, 2019
grin
Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by bobokeshington: 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2019
GHOSTMODE

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by VillageHead: 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2019
Another of our son in whom we are well pleased.

My son keel down let me pray for you:

May the God of our ancestors be with you. As you have put smiles on these two faces, may smiles and happiness be your acquaintances. May plentifulness court you.

I banish lack from your household. The pocket from where you have taken this fund will never run dry.

Even when you are gone, your children and their children will know no lack.

May God be with you in Jesus name, Amen.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by AsowebDesigns: 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2019
For five years, Fatima has been eking out a living as a street beggar

How can someone beg for a living... Na WA o

13 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by EggSauce(m): 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2019
Google pixel one for sell already on Android 10... location is North... 5k for sending to your doorstep in South through DHL... Lesser if you're in North...

If Interested just mention me

We can video call incase you have trust issues
Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by PureGoldh(m): 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2019
May God bless the man for the kind gesture

5 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by mosho2good: 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2019
I will be done with secondary school at the age of 17, start University at 18, graduate at age 22, NYSC at 23, get correct job at 24yrs and marry fine wife at 25yrs, and when my first kid is 15yrs old,
I will be 40yrs... My people, that was how I planned my life o, but.......mtcheeww

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by fmlala: 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2019
good

1 Like

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Jh0wsef(m): 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2019
Ok
Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by lovienna: 3:03pm On Oct 11, 2019
Is this not how it should be? But why gift one beggar N2m cash when you can gift 10 beggars 200k each undecided

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by forreelliinc: 3:04pm On Oct 11, 2019
angry don't use it to finance terrorism o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Flexherbal(m): 3:04pm On Oct 11, 2019
One of the days they have been praying for, has finally come to pass.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by dazzlingd(m): 3:04pm On Oct 11, 2019
Lovely, its a small world....some will live accumulating so much wealth far more than they can ever ever spend and yet no impact in anyone's life.....light up someone's life, such is the beauty of life

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by bimgo: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2019
God remember me today

1 Like

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Marvyx(m): 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2019
When the Lord turns the captivity of zion. We were like them that dream. Baba God pick boys call make we smile biko.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by JewelBukky(f): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2019
This is highly commendable!!! God bless Mr Tien. Ile ise yin oni jona ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by clovislouis(m): 3:07pm On Oct 11, 2019
mosho2good:
I will be done with secondary school at the age of 17, start University at 18, graduate at age 22, NYSC at 23, get correct job at 24yrs and marry fine wife at 25yrs, and when my first kid is 15yrs old,
I will be 40yrs... My people, that was how I planned my life o, but.......mtcheeww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Skmoda(m): 3:07pm On Oct 11, 2019
Wow! What a nice gesture.
Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by figure007(m): 3:09pm On Oct 11, 2019
The table turns anytime.... Just be at alert .. God is not sleeping ... He will turn your situation around for good in Jesus name .. Just believe him .. Happy for them both

7 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by frozen70g(f): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2019
mosho2good:

It's a good plan if God approves it

What I mean by approval is good job and good wife

1 Like

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by mu2sa2: 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2019
Mr Tien, God bless you. This is what I call true charity. With just 2 million, the widow and all her children as well as the translator and his siblings are lifted out of poverty. Yet, in this same country a single senator rakes in 13 million monthly and sits on it mocking the rest of us. God dey!

6 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by Thegoodone13(m): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2019
I love this.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by passyhansome(m): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2019
Another Version of BBNAIJA

1 Like

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by FarahAideed: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2019
The funny thing is that the beggar lady will change location and continue begging ..

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by damble: 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2019
mosho2good:
BUT, NIGERIAN FACTOR. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALLOW GOD TO LEAD WHILE U FOLLOW... HE WILL SOON REMEMBER U. JUST BELIEVE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by brainhgeek(m): 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2019
Good and godly intentions from the donor but I can say that the cash award to the woman is that of misplaced priorities but good deed in the right direction for the interpreter .
I don't give alms to Hausa beggars. I see it as encouraging begging. You should see them in ibadan. They give birth to lots of kids, refuse to send them to school and use them as begging agents. That is evil and a form of child abuse. I usually tell them to go to school, I will pay their school fees.
I can bet it that the woman with be back on the street, begging again, in few weeks. It is the system that should be addressed.
Titus' gift is very commendable but for the Fatima, I feel different.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Beggar, Translator Receive N2m Cash Gift by zoraro(m): 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2019
A very good example I pray I will be able to follow too smiley. Just three days ago I give N200 to a disabled woman and thought that I did something special sad.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Couple Killed By Robbers Shortly After Landing Nigeria For Holiday / I Gave My Wife Money For Abortion / My Husband Hates Me For Giving Birth To Three Girls – Housewife Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.