Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project (14666 Views)

Equinor Exits Nigeria After 30 Years, Sells Its Assets To Chappal Energies / Paypal Withdraws Support For Facebook’s Libra Cryptocurrency (photos) / Billionaire Femi Otedola Sells Forte Oil, Exits Fuel Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by nigeriapenInfo: 3:15am On Oct 13, 2019
Facebook’s effort to create a cryptocurrency was dealt a blow on Friday after several key partners, including MasterCard, Visa, eBay, paypal,Stripe and Mercado Pago, abandoned the project, the first company to abandon the project was paypal. The defections followed fierce criticism from global regulators and lawmakers, and have prompted some industry-watchers to question whether the Libra programme can survive.

The news comes days before the Libra Association, the group that will oversee the digital currency, prepares to convene its members and ask them to sign a charter agreement. The meeting is slated to take place on Monday in Geneva. A Libra Association spokeswoman said on Friday that the gathering will proceed as planned, and that it would announce the first list of official partners once a formal charter is signed.

Facebook Libra ExitIn a statement, the spokeswoman said the group was “focused on moving forward and continuing to build a strong association” as it worked to create “a safe, transparent, and consumer-friendly implementation of a global payment system that breaks down financial barriers for billions of people”.

When Facebook launched plans for Libra in June, a critical part of its pitch was that major players in the payments and tech industry were supporting it. The cryptocurrency would be run out of Geneva by the organisations that comprised the Libra Association, not solely by Facebook. But now that that alliance appears to be eroding, the project’s future is uncertain.

“I don’t think Facebook can do this by itself,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst for Wedbush Securities told Bloomberg TV. “Short of a big bank stepping in like JP Morgan, I don’t think this could ever happen.”

In a tweet on Friday, David Marcus, the Facebook executive spearheading the effort, said that the exit of six partners would not derail the effort. “I would caution against reading the fate of Libra into this update,” he wrote. “Change of this magnitude is hard. You know you’re on to something when this much pressure builds up.”

Whether or not Libra implodes, the exits highlight the extreme challenges that lie ahead for the project, which if successful could have a sweeping impact on the global financial system. “It may very well fail completely,” said Lisa Ellis, an analyst at MoffettNathanson. Even if it survives, progress will take much longer and “it’s likely to fall into some level of obscurity”, she added.

Facebook has faced fierce backlash since the company announced plans for Libra. Politicians and regulators around the world have called on Facebook to halt its progress, and some have suggested Libra could be used for illegal money laundering or trafficking schemes.

Despite the scrutiny from public officials and the exodus of partners, Facebook remains committed to Libra, according to a person familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified because they were not authorised to speak publicly. Some people inside the company think the defections are partly driven by established payments providers worrying about a new entrant encroaching on their turf, the person said.

In the months since its announcement, Facebook has frequently found itself in the spotlight over the cryptocurrency. Mr Marcus went to Washington in July to testify before Congress about Facebook’s plans. Later this month, chief executive Mark Zuckerberg is scheduled to appear before the House Financial Services Committee to answer even more questions about Libra.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-10-11/ebay-stripe-exit-libra-in-latest-blow-to-facebook-crypto-push

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by nigeriapenInfo: 3:16am On Oct 13, 2019
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Movicq(m): 6:20am On Oct 13, 2019
Dis niggi ontop

5 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by AsomArchitectNG(m): 6:20am On Oct 13, 2019
AsomArchitectNG..

We offer services for Architectural drawings/construction in order to
achieve a conducive, affordable and sustainable
building which meets the trend of contemporary
buildings today...see my signature for project executed and our contact details

You are just a DM away...
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by helinues: 6:20am On Oct 13, 2019
Mark is just too greedy and self centred.. The Libra things should die for once cos Na awaiting rubbish like facebook.

Apart from using Facebook for personal stuffs, facebook page is more than hellish..

Less than 15% of posts will be displayed on fans/subscribers timelines. Maka why?

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by B2joa(m): 6:21am On Oct 13, 2019
We go stil transfer

4 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Lexusgs430: 6:23am On Oct 13, 2019
Zuckerberg would go it alone....... Simples......

4 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by StrikeBack(m): 6:24am On Oct 13, 2019
E- colonisation

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by mcmukoko12(m): 6:24am On Oct 13, 2019
FB can do it alone. Forget these people.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Chicastle: 6:25am On Oct 13, 2019
PayPal always at front meanwhile, for your Architectural construction, design, furniture design, interior and exterior, office building, foundation plan drawings, detailing el:et...
Kindly call or wathSApp zero eight zero, six 4355248
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by unitysheart(m): 6:27am On Oct 13, 2019
Their wahala be that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by unitysheart(m): 6:27am On Oct 13, 2019
mcmukoko12:
FB can do it alone. Forget these people.

They can't do it alone

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by ecclize: 6:27am On Oct 13, 2019
wetin concern buhari

1 Like

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by drips8(m): 6:28am On Oct 13, 2019
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 6:28am On Oct 13, 2019
Heavy blow to M.Z, i wonder if Libra is actually going to survive this,
Libra was supposed to be the next big thing; even bigger than bitcoin, I was actually patiently waiting so that I could catch the rise of it.

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by realestniggah: 6:29am On Oct 13, 2019
Too many cryptocurency start to look like scam.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by drips8(m): 6:31am On Oct 13, 2019
Mark Zuckerberg is overly ambitious, and it seems a lot of politicians don't trust him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Edgarated(m): 6:32am On Oct 13, 2019
Mark wants to introduce one currency system.
New world order

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by mokkalu1(m): 6:38am On Oct 13, 2019
I still believe Libra will be huge. I go invest my little fund cos I know say Oil de Zuckerberg head.

4 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by opalu: 6:42am On Oct 13, 2019
If you read the stories of every great project on earth today, you wont be bothered by this initial set back. Libra will erase the use of most currencies on earth.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by letout: 6:45am On Oct 13, 2019
Need farmland , check my signature. Price starts from 130k per acre
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by GEOANDSONS: 6:46am On Oct 13, 2019
mokkalu1:
I still believe Libra will be huge. I go invest my little fund cos I know say Oil de Zuckerberg head.
No time, to check time grin
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by ihatebuhari(f): 6:49am On Oct 13, 2019
My lovely Facebook I’ve been so blessed using the platform.
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by bestman09(m): 6:49am On Oct 13, 2019
sad

My concern is to get the coins early, as much as I can

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by FarahAideed: 6:52am On Oct 13, 2019
World powers have put pressure on them to pull out .. Libra would have made Mark Zuckerberg the Earth's Pharaoh !!!!! How can one man be so ambitious abeg

20 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by 9jayes: 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
I buy and sell Libra, PayPal Btc, Payoneer, fiverr or upwork funds at juicy rate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Xisnin(m): 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
helinues:
Mark is just too greedy and self centred.. The Libra things should die for once cos Na awaiting rubbish like facebook.

Apart from using Facebook for personal stuffs, facebook page is more than hellish..

Less than 15% of posts will be displayed on fans/subscribers timelines. Maka why?
He is too greedy for wanting to launch a crypto like everybody else.
People are launching their cryptos every now and then, why
should Mark be denied the same privilege?

26 Likes

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Xisnin(m): 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
It looks like the only reason PayPal and the rest joined in the first place is to pull out at a critical stage
so that the project could fail.

What was Mark thinking when the potential competitors to his planned crypto easily agreed to partner with him?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by helinues: 6:57am On Oct 13, 2019
Xisnin:

He is too greedy for wanting to launch a crypto like everybody else.
People are launching their cryptos every now and then, why
should Mark be denied the same privilege?

I pointed out something... Probably you ommited that
Re: Facebook Libra: Mastercard, Visa And Ebay Joins Paypal Exits Crypto Project by Xisnin(m): 7:03am On Oct 13, 2019
helinues:

I pointed out something... Probably you ommited that
I saw it but it is irrelevant to his launching of crypto.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians' Shops Remain Shut In Ghana, Five Months After Bilateral Talks / Have scammers run down Google Trader Nigeria? / Fire Outbreak At Rida Plastics, Barracks Oshodi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.