Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,164 members, 7,845,831 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? (5518 Views)

Igbo, Yoruba Rivalry Killing Our Film Industry – Adenuga / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry / The History Of Nollywood: Nigeria's Mega Film Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mbulela: 9:53am On Nov 08, 2010
babasoty:

how much has been poured into the education sector and its still in shambles, how much has been poured into our roads and its still death traps, and how much has been poured into nollywood and its the 3rd highest movie industry in the world ?
according tot your logic, we should quit fixing the road abi?
Why does this govt not have the moral and political will to bring to book all those who squandered the money allocated in the past for the repairs of these roads?
Do you not think that only then will present contractors know that the beat of the drum has changed and that dance steps ought to change?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by wesley80(m): 10:06am On Nov 08, 2010
Chuks84:

my friend I didn't direct any comment to you so please shut your trap. As far I'm concerned I have already explained my position and I wont repeat myself!

So who says u have to direct a comment at me to prompt a reply from me? Who did u direct your silly topic at to get the response u got? abi your mouth just dey scratch u?
mbulela:

Why does this govt not have the moral and political will to bring to book all those who squandered the money allocated in the past for the repairs of these roads?
Do you not think that only then will present contractors know that the beat of the drum has changed and that dance steps ought to change?

So how does failing to bring contractors that have squandered funds make investing in entertainment a bad thing?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by naso2(m): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2010
wesley80:

So how does failing to bring contractors that have squandered funds make investing in entertainment a bad thing?

Thank you. help me ask them o. people just try so hard to link unrelated items just to prove some unwanted point.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Chuks84(m): 10:17am On Nov 08, 2010
@wesley80,
I was replying another comment in which the poster insulted me and so, I just repaid him in kind. I did not appreciate your comment about me yapping my mouth. I don't like insulting people unnecessarily.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by wesley80(m): 10:23am On Nov 08, 2010
Chuks84:

@wesley80,
I was replying another comment in which the poster insulted me and so, I just repaid him in kind. I did not appreciate your comment about me yapping my mouth. I don't like insulting people unnecessarily.

Fair enough. Sorry bout that.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by naijaswag: 10:23am On Nov 08, 2010
alot of us has complained of oil been main foregin exchange earner for the economy and for us to spend money and effort to develop non oil sector has turned into an outrage for NL, do we all have short memory? Film industry has acheived alot, employed alot and caved a new economic status for the nation in the global film industry but as it is not perfect and the best any sane government can do is to support it so that better equiptment for better output can be achieved so that someone like me will not be closing my eye while watching a nollywood movie.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 08, 2010

I never said we should quit repairing the roads, the roads would still need attention for the next 100 years, even if the road is done and lined with the best coatings it would still need repairs, maintenance and the rest, do other sectors of the economy that can stimulate growth be neglected because we have to always maintain our roads, if other sectors are not encouraged to grow and the proceeds from taxes gotten, how can the roads be maintained, you are aware that a substantial part of the  monies required to repair this roads are gotten from taxes, the more the nollywood sector is encouraged to grow the more revenue and taxes are accrued from there to fix the road, do you know how much hollywood has transformed the US economy or how Bollywood is doing same for india, please lets be objective in our reasoning and criticize objectively too, I mean this is a sector that has not been encouraged by the government and its growing in leaps and bounds and government wants to also help in expanding it and people are complaining, do you know how many people at Alaba that ordinarily would have been jobless and be a menance to the society that have a living thanks to Nollywood, not only has nollywood benefited a whole lot of the populace it has also opened up opportunities that were never there say 10-20 years back, It has also projected the image of Nigeria in-spite of our poor records, without Nollywood coming out even the music industry would have been in the doldrums, now we have young artiste who in-spite of their different academic or even no academic qualifications having dreams and making it and you guys are here whining.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by fASHCEO(m): 10:34am On Nov 08, 2010
hard enough, i support Mr President on this one. Our entertainment industry is a multinational industry already which means it brings in money into the economy from other countries. A typical example of this is the English Premier League (EPL) which sells television rights across all continents. EPL tv right in Nigeria alone is fifty million pounds (£50,000,000) a year, this means the whole of Nigeria contributes that amount every year to the British economy just to be able to watch the EPL live.

Though the president still need to be specific about this investment, i commend his vision for multinational businesses and industries in Nigeria. We need to start building businesses that will go to other countries to create value because at the end of the day, the chunk of their profit will come to the Nigerian economy.

Other popularly known multinational businesses are Google, Microsoft, HP, Apple, Blackberry(RIM) etc which are all from USA.

Check out Nokia, Blackberry, Sony Ericsson & many more electronics, simply hit the below link;
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by SALady(f): 10:38am On Nov 08, 2010
@Topic, Its called midlife crisis undecided undecided undecided
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by wesley80(m): 10:40am On Nov 08, 2010
SA Lady:

@Topic, Its called midlife crisis undecided undecided undecided
Similar to the one U're facing?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by megastu(m): 10:59am On Nov 08, 2010
When his wife was sharing Bags of Rice in Abuja, leading to the death of many innocent souls.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by danarchy(m): 11:03am On Nov 08, 2010
I WAS AT THE EVENT AND GUYS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE THIS IS JUST THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF LOAN THAT CAN BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE WHOLE INDUSTRY, COMPARED TO THE ONES ACTUALLY INJECTED INTO SOCCER YET WE STILL GET HEARTACHES AFTER EACH GAME AND THE NATIONAL TEAMS STILL REMAIN UNMARKETABLE ,

, IF WITH SMALL FUNDS AT OUR DISPOSAL, WE STILL STAND 3RD IN THE WORLD BEHIND HOLLYWOOD AND BOLLYWOOD, WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE HAVE OPPORTUNITY OF GETTING LOANS TO FUND EVENTS, THINK OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR ECONOMY AND OUR CURRENCY, EVERY ONE WILL BE CHASING OUR MOVIES, MUSIC AND SOAPS JUST LIKE HOLLY WOOD IS BEING CHASED AFTER, REMEMMBER GHANA OR (GHOLLYWOOD) IS JUST LURKING BEHIND US, VERY SOON THEY WILL OVERTAKE US JUST LIKE THEY HAVE DONE TO PHCN DESPITE US GIVING THEM POWER IN THE PAST,

, GO ON MR. PRESIDENT AM SOLIDLY BEHIND YOU,
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Chuks84(m): 11:06am On Nov 08, 2010
babasoty:

I never said we should quit repairing the roads, the roads would still need attention for the next 100 years, even if the road is done and lined with the best coatings it would still need repairs, maintenance and the rest, do other sectors of the economy that can stimulate growth be neglected because we have to always maintain our roads, if other sectors are not encouraged to grow and the proceeds from taxes gotten, how can the roads be maintained, you are aware that a substantial part of the  monies required to repair this roads are gotten from taxes, the more the nollywood sector is encouraged to grow the more revenue and taxes are accrued from there to fix the road, do you know how much hollywood has transformed the US economy or how Bollywood is doing same for india, please lets be objective in our reasoning and criticize objectively too, I mean this is a sector that has not been encouraged by the government and its growing in leaps and bounds and government wants to also help in expanding it and people are complaining, do you know how many people at Alaba that ordinarily would have been jobless and be a menance to the society that have a living thanks to Nollywood, not only has nollywood benefited a whole lot of the populace it has also opened up opportunities that were never there say 10-20 years back, It has also projected the image of Nigeria in-spite of our poor records, without Nollywood coming out even the music industry would have been in the doldrums, now we have young artiste who in-spite of their different academic or even no academic qualifications having dreams and making it and you guys are here whining.

I would like to take you back to what someone said earlier in this forum:
Just create the enabling environment and everything will fall into place.

You mentioned hollywood and bollywood i.e the US and India. These countries have do  not suffer from epileptic power supply, they do no have roads that double as death traps. These countries made sure the necessary basic amenities were in place. yes! a lot of money has been poured into these sectors but due to poor management and non existent project monitoring, we are yet to see the benefits. There is no guarantee that this dollars will even go to the intended users, there is a very big possibility that it would be diverted.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by naso2(m): 11:10am On Nov 08, 2010
I will only excuse those criticising this move if they admit that they have limited information about what the money is meant for. This is not a grant/dash. It is similar to the agric loans given to farmers . What the govt is trying to do is to bridge the gap , entertainers have with finance.

It is a 30 billion naira  pool, from where loans will be giving for projects in the entertainment industry, hence whoever has a good concept( song,film etc) would no longer by constrained by lack of funds.

I hope people now see the picture clearer?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 08, 2010
You mentioned hollywood and bollywood i.e the US and India. These countries have do not suffer from epileptic power supply, they do no have roads that double as death traps. These countries made sure the necessary basic amenities were in place. yes! a lot of money has been poured into these sectors but due to poor management and non existent project monitoring, we are yet to see the benefits. There is no guarantee that this dollars will even go to the intended users, there is a very big possibility that it would be diverted.

Do you think every economy doesn't have its problems facing it, you think India doesn't have roads that are death traps, Do you think India doesn't have slums, Do you think its everywhere in India that has electricity, do you know the number of people in India that die yearly from train crashes or security related deaths at least I did my API exams in chennai india and stayed there for a month, so I'd be in a better position to tell you that India as much as even USA has its problems so also Nigeria, those situations we face shouldn't be a hindrance in developing other sectors of the economy. " The movie and TV industry contributed 2.5 million jobs and $41.1 billion in wages to the U.S. economy in 2007, according to an MPAA report.

That's up from more than 1.3 million jobs and $30.2 billion in 2005 as reported by the trade group in its inaugural report a couple of years ago.

In another key finding, there has been a shift of top production states beyond the traditional entertainment powerhouses of California and New York. Illinois, Texas and Florida are among those that have become more important industry hubs, while Nevada, Arizona and Montana are among those that have lost some luster"
---http://business.highbeam.com/2012/article-1G1-199194430/showbiz-sure-big-business-mpaa-study-showcases-hollywood, that report was for 2007 alone so guy be reasonable in your criticism, every sector ought to be developed in Nigeria in order for growth to be achieved.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mikano80: 11:37am On Nov 08, 2010
MR PRESIDENT GOT IT WRONG HERE,ABSOLUTELY WRONG!The duty of  government is to create enabling environment that will attract local and international investors to Nollywood.The country need constant power generation,roads, security and other infrastructures needed for development.If Mr president give them $200m,it has nothing to do with the activities of  kidnappers,pirates, creating jobs for you.I totally agree is not the right of government to create jobs  but individuals but government has to create the environment for job creation,He really need to learn the act of governance and priorities.Who is he impressing?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Dubstic: 11:48am On Nov 08, 2010
Gej followers wil neva fault in his stupidity.i am not saying dat d entertainment industry shuld not be encouraged but not at dis time wen our agriculture,education,power and transport sectors need urgent atention.nollywood employ but a few.what lesson does d entertainment industry especially music and beauty contest wotever pass to d younger generation?listen to d words used in naija music,d display of unclothedness in beauty contest,fashion shows.these are not to be given all diz atention.govt workers,contractors i pity all of u.wen dis man comes bak again u wil sufa.nigeria has gone bak to borowing again.naija is bankrupt.listeo to news not nollynews and movies.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by naso2(m): 11:54am On Nov 08, 2010
mikano80:

MR PRESIDENT GOT IT WRONG HERE,ABSOLUTELY WRONG![b]The duty of government is to create enabling environment that will attract local and international investors to Nollywood.[/b]The country need constant power generation,roads, security and other infrastructures needed for development.If Mr president give them $200m,it has nothing to do with the activities of kidnappers,pirates, creating jobs for you.I totally agree is not the right of government to create jobs but individuals but government has to create the environment for job creation,He really need to learn the act of governance and priorities.Who is he impressing?

Can you explain the difference between the anbleing environment you crave and what GEJ just did? 30billion is not a grant, it is a pool from which soft loans will be given to players in the entertainment industry.

what is the connecttion between kidnappers and this one?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by naso2(m): 11:56am On Nov 08, 2010
Dubstic:

[b]Gej followers wil neva fault in his stupidity.[/b]i am not saying dat d entertainment industry shuld not be encouraged but not at dis time wen our agriculture,education,power and transport sectors need urgent atention.nollywood employ but a few.what lesson does d entertainment industry especially music and beauty contest wotever pass to d younger generation?listen to d words used in naija music,d display of unclothedness in beauty contest,fashion shows.these are not to be given all diz atention.govt workers,contractors i pity all of u.wen dis man comes bak again u wil sufa.nigeria has gone bak to borowing again.naija is bankrupt.listeo to news not nollynews and movies.
Yes just the same way his antagonists will in their stupidity see no positives from this laudable move by GEJ tongue
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by sundid(m): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2010
What we fail to understand is that GEJ is investing in a reliable, viable sector that would yield the country a huge dividend or revenue that can as well be used to fund capital projects or other sectors that is seeking for attention e.g. power, education. Imagine the enormous revenue that is being generated through hollywood for american govt. The same revenue is what is used for the military, loan to poor countrys etc
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by sundid(m): 12:23pm On Nov 08, 2010
To me he was pro-active 2forsee a good investment drive dat wld not only yield revenue, but also create employment for the teeming population. More money wld be made available for the likes
of photographers, camera men, script writers etc. Also my question is how many of us benefit from the funding of sports in the country. I and u knw dat this money always goes into the pocket of some ogas. But this investment not funding we all wld benefit
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mikano80: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
Let us be objective here,Hollywood and bollywood are lucrative because the infrastructural development and capacity building is on ground provided by government and powered by private sectors and are yielding billions in taxable profit.Here the government government generate fund because they have done there job.The western government invest in youth centres development centres for capacity building and to discover talents and prepare them to actualize there dreams and enable them to be self independent and even create job for people in future.i am not against this money but i am against the timing.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by monkeyleg: 12:35pm On Nov 08, 2010
We never change as a people. So oga give $200m to entertainment industry, we praise him. While there are more pressing issues in this country.

Its like a man who chooses to buy a game console rather than spend money on food, even when his family is dying of hunger. After all, my mates will say I belong. Misplaced priorities.

If you want to improve and grow Nigeria as a country, improve your educational system. Improve your transportation, not throw money at an industry that has managed itself well for all these years
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by blakduches: 1:00pm On Nov 08, 2010
I dont see anything wrong in injecting $200 million in Nollywood, since our economy seem to be thriving in this sector, then it should be given a boost. which is what Mr. Pesident wants to do, kind of concentrating your energy in the right venture to further strengthen it. Rather than pumping money into Oil/ gas, Agric, energy & other sectors as previous governments,s hav done with little or no results to show. But i guess any opportunity his destractors get , they will lash out on him. GEJ
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Beaf: 1:55pm On Nov 08, 2010
I find it absolutely ridiculous that any adult would question investments in the non-oil sector. It is mind boggling! What do these folk eat?
More than anything, topics like this prove the lack of brains in some "by force" commentators.

The entertainment industry is a brilliant example of private sector success. The only way the country can develop is by nurturing and encouraging private sector efforts, but will the enemies of progress even apply their brains before talking crap as usual? Damn!
Some clowns have even opened their mouths to say that all govt needs do, is create an enabling environment. Do these folk even know the meaning of the term, "enabling environment?" Because, it will take someone who is extraordinarily shallow to conclude that making capital available for an industry to pull from for its growth is not creating an enabling environment. If that isn't, what is? I don't particularly like the word, "retarded", but its apt here.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by iyeyemi: 2:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
Abeg who get insight, where exactly is this 'investment' going to go? To producers, marketers, actors, ?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
monkeyleg:

We never change as a people. So oga give $200m to entertainment industry, we praise him. While there are more pressing issues in this country.

Its like a man who chooses to buy a game console rather than spend money on food, even when his family is dying of hunger. After all, my mates will say I belong. Misplaced priorities.

If you want to improve and grow Nigeria as a country, improve your educational system. Improve your transportation, not throw money at an industry that has managed itself well for all these years

rather than focus on buying books, healthcare, educational accessories for my kids, let me take a leaf from gej and spend my money on something that will really contribute to their future and intellectual development - africa magic and nollywood dvds

yep my kids will learn so much from this media, spoken english, all problems are solved by prayer, all problems are caused by enemies i the village , success is by God and not by hardwork

they will also boost their grammer skills with words like swagga, ginger

and those nollywood and naija music types are exactly the kind of role models i want for my kids , barely literate , baby mama /baby father , school drop outs - those are the sort of people we want our kids to become like - since a entertainment driven economy is what drives nations forward, not a knowledge based one , those are the sorts we should be pouring nigeria's dwindling reserves into developing

just look at black america, where the most visible success stories are athletes and musicians - with role models like that, is it any wonder blacks still lag behind?

gej we are looking for

not

focus on education and creating intellectuals, they will drive nigeria forward. sad that a phd holder cannot see this
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by joesbuba: 2:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
good move by our president and he thinks deep
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Mobinga: 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2010
Someone sent me a hate mail, because of this issue. . . This is a bleeping DAFT MOVE!!!
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mbulela: 3:31pm On Nov 08, 2010
Mobinga:

Someone sent me a hate mail, because of this issue. . . This is a bleeping DAFT MOVE!!!
very daft move indeed.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Muza(m): 3:56pm On Nov 08, 2010
Oyb,u cracked up,i'm still LMAO.But i must agree with you,you said the bitter plain truth and you have given the best anology possible.
I dont know why some ppl dont see any thing wrong in GEJ badlucks move,are they being deliberately mischevious or they are just damn D.A.F.T.
No pun intended, lol
Thanx.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Muza(m): 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2010
Oyb,u cracked up,i'm still LMAO.But i must agree with you,you said the bitter plain truth and you have given the best anology possible.
I dont know why some ppl dont see any thing wrong in GEJ badlucks move,are they being deliberately mischevious or they are just damn D.A.F.T.
No pun intended, lol
Thanx.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Meet Mrs Susan Waya, Kiddwaya's Mum (photos) / 50 Cent Loses Weight In His Upcoming Movie Pix / DOWNLOAD VIDEO DMW – Aje Ft. Davido, Peruzzi, Yonda & Freshvdm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.