Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria (18954 Views)

My Job Hunting In The City Of Abuja / Self Employment Opportunity: Transcribing For A Living In Nigeria 2020 Part 2 / Self Employment Opportunity: Transcribing For A Living In Nigeria Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by BurbeeStyles(m): 1:23pm On Dec 10, 2019
That CEO at 30 thing is on hold at least till after this regime angry

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 10, 2019
TOPCRUISE:
If you can't self employ then leaving the country for another country that acknowledge your worth, skills and credentials is the best option. Only a wicked person will brainwash you from traveling and say you should stay and compete with few available jobs that offer good for nothing salary with no benefits and job security.
Only in Nigeria you hear a person advicing a graduate to accept a job of N20000 as it will add to his job experience. Rubbish

Bro, we all have dreams to leave this country, but we need millions to do that except you are opting for Dubai.
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Quorax: 1:25pm On Dec 10, 2019
7thLemonLOVER:
Easier said than done.

How do you raise the capital and sustain your "self employment" when the government is over taxing the citizens?

you can start by offering services... Offering services is the fastest way to raise money, smarter way is offering the service to get paid in dollars and I know a few Nigerians who do this.

Learn skills that can aid you to raise this money by buying some courses on udemy.com. I suggest digital marketing and the likes.

Turn around and use that knowledge to help companies in UK, US, Germany when you become proficient in it. You can go a step further by doing some consulting with same knowledge.

If you do consulting and get paid $500 a week/ client, how many can you do in a month?

Don't doubt this figure because someone once contacted me and he paid me $500 bucks just for few hours of my knowledge in a different field, not digital marketing.

While most of you clinch to this watery excuse about capital, 90 % of you can't make anything meaningful when they eventually get the capital because your foundation of business is faulty.

I started my movement with Nokia C1-01. Google that phone and get an idea.

The question is how bad do you want it?

10 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Jokerman(m): 1:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
No one can get a loan without exhorbitant evil interests...

Just imagine I run a school after the demise of my Dad. Although he got a permanent site for the school before he died. Now to secure a loan to commence building , see interest and unfavorable conditions... Na wa

That's self employment for you

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by yinkeys(m): 1:37pm On Dec 10, 2019
7thLemonLOVER:
Easier said than done.

How do you raise the capital and sustain your "self employment" when the government is over taxing the citizens?
True.
Chase both
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:40pm On Dec 10, 2019
BiggyB242:

Bro, we all have dreams to leave this country, but we need millions to do that except you are opting for Dubai.
God will make it happen. Prayer and dedication is the key
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Pantoo: 1:42pm On Dec 10, 2019
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Optimistmoses(m): 1:51pm On Dec 10, 2019
Pantoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCSYCCCmFI

Quorax:

you can start by offering services... Offering services is the fastest way to raise money, smarter way is offering the service to get paid in dollars and I know a few Nigerians who do this.

Learn skills that can aid you to raise this money by buying some courses on udemy.com. I suggest digital marketing and the likes.

Turn around and use that knowledge to help companies in UK, US, Germany when you become proficient in it. You can go a step further by doing some consulting with same knowledge.

If you do consulting and get paid $500 a week/ client, how many can you do in a month?

Don't doubt this figure because someone once contacted me and he paid me $500 bucks just for few hours of my knowledge in a different field, not digital marketing.

While most of you clinch to this watery excuse about capital, 90 % of you can't make anything meaningful when they eventually get the capital because your foundation of business is faulty.

Please reply my email
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Bankkym: 2:11pm On Dec 10, 2019
Nigeriahomebiz:
Hello Nairalanders,

This post will be controversial but my assurance is that I am merely sharing facts with you. This post is not for everybody but for those who are not desperate to settle for less by becoming underemployed in a job they will resent, otherwise my apologies if you find this post offensive. You shouldn't read any more.

I do realize everybody's circumstance is different and so I am willing to say for those who are destined to work under a boss, don't see this as me trying to discourage you from searching, it is more of a wake up call than a grim reminder of what the job search and employment in Nigeria really entails. Here are 5 reasons why I believe the self-employment path is a better option than the job search/paid employment.

1. High Competition for few Job Slots
This is for freshers in the job market or recently laid off former employees. Even a Master's degree cannot guarantee an entry level position these days. The labour market is just too saturated and competitive. Last year nearly 1 million Nigerians entered the labour market (900,000+). Here is statistics from NBS 21 million Nigerians were unemployed as at July 2018. The economy grew by less than 3% last year and will not likely fair better which means much less than 400,000 jobs will be created this year by government and companies. This means that the jobs are just not there and even when you find them they aren't anything near a decent working experience. It will be like trying to push your way through a stampede just to grab a paltry prize that anyone close to it can snatch at anytime.

2. Low Return on Time and Effort Invested
If you start your job search today, how long will it take you to get a job and start earning a salary? Let me help you out with your guess, more than 2 years. That is the mean time the average employable job seeker takes to secure employment. But if you were to commit 6 months to learn a marketable skill, you could become self-employed almost immediately (I have been making a decent income for 5 years now going to 6 years after quitting my job thanks to a marketable skill I acquired prior to my employment and in fact it was what earned me my job in the first place, not my computer science HND).

3. Most Meaningful Job Vacancies are already taken
Can someone please remind me the last time they saw mass recruitment into CBN or heard of FIRS job vacancies posted in national dailies? Well chances are that a lot of newly employed persons in these very high paying organisations have been called privately and recruited. The less prestigious employers are inundated anyways with too much applications that they have their own databases of candidates who they will readily contact by email, sms or phone calls when there are any openings.

4. Most Employers use networks and recommendations
Employers are becoming weary of employing people they will still need to train after employing and so they opt for those who have proven work experience and skills, because it saves them costs. What are the chances that you fall into their network or may be recommended to the them by someone in a respectable position you know?

5. Career Advancement and Prospects
Let's say you get employed eventually, what are the prospects on the job 5 years down the line compared to a self-starter that aggressively improves his productivity, constantly seeks self improvement and has bagged considerable productive habits that have shaped his work ethic?

Those are my 5 reasons and I am so eager to hear objections and contributions. Waiting on you Pals!

Hello Nairalander,
Anyone with viable and bankable business ideas contact me . 5M available for investment
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Osnami: 2:29pm On Dec 10, 2019
Quorax:

Please, I want to learn Digital Marketing online or in Abuja if it will be offline, please where can I learn this?
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Ayomarcel(m): 2:32pm On Dec 10, 2019
Can I post this on my site??... Please
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Quorax: 2:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
Osnami:

Please, I want to learn Digital Marketing online or in Abuja if it will be offline, please where can I learn this?
enrol for course on Udemy.com. They cost around 15-20 dollars and the course cut across diverse fields.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Osnami: 2:43pm On Dec 10, 2019
Quorax:
enrol for course on Udemy.com. They cost around 15-20 dollars and the course cut across diverse fields.
Thanks so much. But have you offered this particular course there before? If yes, how was it?
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by gideonchi: 2:57pm On Dec 10, 2019
Self employment is the game if you have the required skill and knowledge, so get one now! Visit: www.challionis.com
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Abidek900(m): 2:59pm On Dec 10, 2019
SultanOfPuna:
I just want to say as a strong Catholic
I just read the Koran for the first time
To be honest, I have more respect for prophet Muhammad.The Same Angel Gabriel that visited Virgin Mary is the Same Angel Gabriel that visited Prophet Muhammad in the caves.
Allah is the same as God.. We are all One just different messengers saying one thing.

can you please add me up on facebook@ akinwale abideen akin-cube? We need to reason together
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Abidek900(m): 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
Let chat on facebook bro@ akinwale abideen akin-cube

This post will be controversial but my assurance is that I am merely sharing facts with you. This post is not for everybody but for those who are not desperate to settle for less by becoming underemployed in a job they will resent, otherwise my apologies if you find this post offensive. You shouldn't read any more.

I do realize everybody's circumstance is different and so I am willing to say for those who are destined to work under a boss, don't see this as me trying to discourage you from searching, it is more of a wake up call than a grim reminder of what the job search and employment in Nigeria really entails. Here are 5 reasons why I believe the self-employment path is a better option than the job search/paid employment.

This is for freshers in the job market or recently laid off former employees. Even a Master's degree cannot guarantee an entry level position these days. The labour mark
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Abidek900(m): 3:06pm On Dec 10, 2019
Your write up is nothing but the truth. Even though some people will dislike it. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Lucascruiz(m): 3:22pm On Dec 10, 2019
Quorax:

Exactly...most peoples excuse is capital...if you can work your brain out even here on nairaland...you don't need a dime to start business
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 3:55pm On Dec 10, 2019
Self employment beats paid job hands down in Nigeria.
Brick layers and manual construction workers can easily negotiate 2k per day in site whereas many grads on paid jobs like N-Power and the low paying SMEs hardly get 40k a whole month.

Moving further there are many self employed that can earn even more than the around N50k manual building jobs pay.
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by maximusprime2000: 4:09pm On Dec 10, 2019
Quorax:

Thats inspiring, pls reply my mail. Thanks
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by webngnews: 4:12pm On Dec 10, 2019
True but it takes a while
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by sylve11: 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2019
@ op, nice one. cool
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Goldenfinger5(m): 4:32pm On Dec 10, 2019
Nigeriahomebiz:
Hello Nairalanders,

This is for freshers in the job market or recently laid off former employees. Even a Master's degree cannot guarantee an entry level position these days. The labour market is just too saturated and competitive. Last year nearly 1 million Nigerians entered the labour market (900,000+). Here is statistics from NBS 21 million Nigerians were unemployed as at July 2018. The economy grew by less than 3% last year and will not likely fair better which means much less than 400,000 jobs will be created this year by government and companies. This means that the jobs are just not there and even when you find them they aren't anything near a decent working experience. It will be like trying to push your way through a stampede just to grab a paltry prize that anyone close to it can snatch at anytime.

2. Low Return on Time and Effort Invested
If you start your job search today, how long will it take you to get a job and start earning a salary? Let me help you out with your guess, more than 2 years. That is the mean time the average employable job seeker takes to secure employment. But if you were to commit 6 months to learn a marketable skill, you could become self-employed almost immediately (I have been making a decent income for 5 years now going to 6 years after quitting my job thanks to a marketable skill I acquired prior to my employment and in fact it was what earned me my job in the first place, not my computer science HND).

3. Most Meaningful Job Vacancies are already taken
Can someone please remind me the last time they saw mass recruitment into CBN or heard of FIRS job vacancies posted in national dailies? Well chances are that a lot of newly employed persons in these very high paying organisations have been called privately and recruited. The less prestigious employers are inundated anyways with too much applications that they have their own databases of candidates who they will readily contact by email, sms or phone calls when there are any openings.

4. Most Employers use networks and recommendations
Employers are becoming weary of employing people they will still need to train after employing and so they opt for those who have proven work experience and skills, because it saves them costs. What are the chances that you fall into their network or may be recommended to the them by someone in a respectable position you know?

5. Career Advancement and Prospects
Let's say you get employed eventually, what are the prospects on the job 5 years down the line compared to a self-starter that aggressively improves his productivity, constantly seeks self improvement and has bagged considerable productive habits that have shaped his work ethic?

Those are my 5 reasons and I am so eager to hear objections and contributions. Waiting on you Pals!

How do I make contribution in nairaland. I have a story to share but don't know how and have been trying for months since I registered. Someone should put me through before I delete my account out of annoyance
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Viktom(m): 4:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
Do you want to go into business but don't know much about the business? We will give you a good feasibility study at a negligible price and relay every necessary details to you. Or
Do you have capital but don't have a business and you are willing to make a risk free investment that will recoup your investment and pay you interest too. Or
You have idea but don't have capital and you want to do something with your idea. Or
You have both idea and capital but need a business plan that can take you to the top.
The answer is here, @ Victom Investment group we have answers to all these problems.
Reach us via phone: 08133933149 or mail us at victom.dmay@gmail.com
A trial will convince you.
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by dopedan(m): 5:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
As we all know, variety is the spice of life, no two people can ever be the same. Some people are very comfortable working for someone else while others feel that they can't use their full potential while working for someone else.
Let me break this down a little further, i know entrepreneurs who have quit their jobs after realizing that one can't get rich by working a full day and getting paid at the end of the month, so they actually get a job for the sole purpose of creating capital for their own business, that is a wise move if you ask me, do not get me wrong I'm not condemning jobs, but jobs do not last forever, we might have heard of people who got fired and committed suicide because they have no other means of making money, some go back to drinking garri day in day out, jobs are not permanent but business is, just that it may take time to grow depending on your own grace, if people that didn't go to to school or dropped out can be called the world richest men because they started their own business do i still need to talk much? Please ask Mark Zuckerberg why he didn't wait to graduate to look for a job and become an average man. Today in Nigeria certificates have become over rated, ive heard of people who didn't go to school yet they build hospitals and employ doctors that have spent so many years in school and pay them salary. If you still interested in getting a job you can go ahead it is still legit and over hyped, we need more billionaires in Nigeria so i Encourage you all to start something today no matter how little, it may take 5 years or 10 years but i promise you it wont be easy but on the long run you and your childrens children will appreciate your effort.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Ademat7(m): 5:12pm On Dec 10, 2019
Goldenfinger5:

How do I make contribution in nairaland. I have a story to share but don't know how and have been trying for months since I registered. Someone should put me through before I delete my account out of annoyance
1.Go to home page
2. Click a section you want to post it e.g biz, career, romance
3. Click create new topic
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by benpuzzy(m): 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2019
BiggyB242:

Acquire a skill, you render services not buying and selling.
Even the buying and selling kind of business is also a way to go with the rate of advancement in the society, as a graduate that ventured into buying and selling business your way of doing business should be totally different from others. Study your environment and the kind of business that thrives there, contact your supplier and consumers and everything "is a goal".
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Brightgem(f): 5:50pm On Dec 10, 2019
Source
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by qanda: 6:53pm On Dec 10, 2019
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by pacespot(m): 6:54pm On Dec 10, 2019
The problem is that the purchasing capacity of Nigerians is low, it means you cannot start your skills oriented business and focus on Nigeria to make the sale. Most of your income will come from overseas and Nigerians are often subjected to discriminatory practices by these foreign companies. Unless you're able to prove yourself beyond any doubt.
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by xcabczyxabczzzz: 6:55pm On Dec 10, 2019
7thLemonLOVER:
Easier said than done.

Not with this mindset obviously.
Re: 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 10, 2019
benpuzzy:
Even the buying and selling kind of business is also a way to go with the rate of advancement in the society, as a graduate that ventured into buying and selling business your way of doing business should be totally different from others. Study your environment and the kind of business that thrives there, contact your supplier and consumers and everything "is a goal".

I'm not against buying and selling, she was talking about capital; rendering services you don't need capital not all though.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finally Landed The Job / Nigerian Govt To Prosecute Escapee N-power Volunteers In 2017 / I've Been Invited For Sterling Bank Job Interview. What Should I Expect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.