Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,845 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect (43318 Views)

How to stop betnaija from charging you / From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison- Suspect / 11,100 Nigerian Women Landed In Sicily As Prostitutes In 2016 - The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by References: 10:07am On Oct 18, 2019
Call him a victim of circumstance and you will not be far from the truth. All he did was go to his friend’s place to charge his mobile phone, an action that has seen him spend the last two years behind bars.

The above has been the fate of 28-year-old Rotimi Adeosebekan who was arrested on November 15, 2017 alongside others by Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operatives from Abuja at the instance of a lawyer alleged to be embroiled in a property tussle at 8, Agorodiyan in Victoria Island with one Segun Babaloye.

Following a Save Our Soul (SOS) appeal by Adeosebekan’s aged mother, Mrs. Folasade, our correspondent made findings and discovered that the victim was being held alongside Olayinka John, Ismaila Fatasi, Joseph Adeniran, Thompson Emmanuel and Kolawole Seun at the Keffi Prison in Nasawara State on charges of armed robbery, kidnapping and terrorism.

But neither Adeosebekan nor his co-defendants understand why fate dealt them a huge blow and allowed the police to rob them of their freedom.

Narrating his ordeal to our correspondent, Rotimi said: “The worst part is that I did not know anything about the fight. I learnt that the late landlord’s son and a tenant who’s a lawyer fought over property. I do not even stay there; I just went to charge my phone at my friends’ place. My friends were working as guards employed by the late landlord’s son.

“So, that day, policemen just came and packed all of us. They took us to Abattoir in Abuja and three days later, they took us to a Magistrate’s Court where they accused us of stealing jewellery and phone belonging to the lawyer. We denied it and then, the police took us back to Abbatoir and we were there for over two months.

“After that day, the man said unless we provided Mr. Segun Babaloye, he will not let us go. He said he bought the house from Segun’s father Pa Babaloye when he was alive and that Segun.

“It was after that period that they now took us before Justice Binta Nyako of Federal High Court III and charged us for armed robbery, kidnapping and terrorism. We have been in prison custody since that time.

“The police made such huge allegations against people without any evidence. The worst part is that I did not know any of these things and I am not involved. My friends are not involved either. Some of those arrested with me were eating yam outside, while others were security men.

“It is unfair how we have been made to suffer over a case that does not concern us. This is a typical case of the grass suffering when two elephants fight. I am appealing to President Muhammadu Buhari to order an investigation into this case so that the truth can come to light and we can go home.

“I am begging them to release us because we did not do anything. We are innocent. Our case is coming up on November 20 but November 15 will be exactly two years we were arrested and locked up,” he told our Correspondent.

It was gathered Seun, an Oodua People’s Congress’ (OPC) Chief Security Officer (CSO) was arrested at his Ajegunle residence 15 days after the others were rounded and whisked to the same cell in Abuja were the others were held.

The Nation gathered that the policemen who embarked on.thag mission had asked him to provide his boss’ number which he did and he was thereafter dumped in custody with the rest.

Appealing to the President to release her son, 63-year-old Mrs. Adeosebekan said she has sold all she had in order to frequent Abuja to visit him.

The woman who sobbed uncontrollably said her health was failing as a result of the continued detention of her son for a crime he did not commit.

“I have been going up and down since 2017. I developed issues with one of my legs because of that long journey. I have spent more than N200,000 on this matter but my son has not come out.

“It was my son who used to help me sell my Agbo (local herb) and since his arrest, I have not been doing it. Now, I do not have anything. It is my Alex Omorodion in Alausa (Public Advice Centre) that has been helping me. I am begging those holding my son to release him. I know my son and I know that he is not a criminal,” she said.

https://thenationonlineng.net/from-charging-my-phone-i-landed-in-prison-says-suspect/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by IamCharles123: 10:16am On Oct 18, 2019
Nigeria

81 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Ahmed0336(m): 10:21am On Oct 18, 2019
Wetin N50 fit avoid o had it been he took the phone to where they charge phones.

Victim of circumstances

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by kleverley(m): 10:22am On Oct 18, 2019
Lawyers, I thought they said before you dub one as guilty, you have to provide evidence? What evidences were tendered to prove their guilt?
Policemen!!! na wa oo

95 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Lovexme(m): 10:28am On Oct 18, 2019
2 years in prison without trial? What a zoo!

Meanwhile, I've got a new and boxed iPhone XR 64GB for sale at 210k

38 Likes

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by sweetonugbu: 10:43am On Oct 18, 2019
Injustice in this obodo Nigeria is alarming

122 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by fidelmarshal199: 12:06pm On Oct 18, 2019
The police that made the arrest may think they were doing their job but they were unknowingly sowing curses for themselves, How can you just arrest some random innocent citizens for two years without trial. No wonder Many of them die a gruesome death. I'm close to tears

190 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Nostradamus: 12:51pm On Oct 18, 2019
That woman should sue the police for unlawful arrest and illegal detention of her son.she should ask for compensations.

It's not bad if she makes a killing from the foolish police who decided to arrest an innocent soul cool

BTW,until fellow Nigerians start sueing for unlawful arrest,our police won't stop arresting people.it has now gone so bad that at times, SARS do arrest youths for buying beverages or even using the ATM...

If we don't want nuisance from the law enforcers,then we'd have to make a bold statement condemning such,by using the law.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Obiaksnews: 1:03pm On Oct 18, 2019
Since they are in Abuja, if there is any way this case can be taken to Human rights radio anchored by honorable Ahmed that would be a very good step. He eats cases like this for nourishment.

130 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by JerryLegend(m): 2:54pm On Oct 18, 2019
Chai! May we not be victim of circumstance. The family needs to find their way to Human right NGO to come to the guy aid. Naija which way!! cry

19 Likes

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by NwaAmaikpe: 2:54pm On Oct 18, 2019
shocked

The moral is never to charge your phone in a neighbour's house.
Charging phone leads to many things.
He is even lucky that his own led him to prison, I've heard of someone who was stabbed to death in the house he went to charge his phone in.

Do you know how many girls that ended up spreading their legs just from charging phone?
If your phone's battery dies, be contented and go to bed.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by helinues: 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2019
Oh sey what?

Oseh wah
Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Criticaltemp: 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2019
U c Nigeria, we need help..
Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by SouthSouth1914: 2:57pm On Oct 18, 2019
Those policemen think they would go free? Someone lost 2 whole years of her life because of your pay as you go business!

That’s why your children are always useless together with you. Useless Nigerian police and the useless government!

The judge is even more useless! How did the Judge corroborate the story with the prosecuting counsel?

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 18, 2019
Mrbrownjay1, this is what i was talking about with you on a different thread.

This is what happens in these parts. You can get lost in the system simply for being in the wrong place. And if you don’t have any family or friend of influence, you can die in detention without any trial.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Dozie32(m): 3:00pm On Oct 18, 2019
Chai!! cry.,God almighty will surely see you through

1 Like

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by PennywysCares(m): 3:00pm On Oct 18, 2019
shocked

1 Like

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Vincad: 3:01pm On Oct 18, 2019
Oh Nigeria! cry

1 Like

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by bestman09(m): 3:01pm On Oct 18, 2019
angry
Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by henryobinna(m): 3:02pm On Oct 18, 2019
Ahmed0336:
Wetin N50 fit avoid o had it been he took the phone to where they charge phones.

Victim of circumstances
shey you no dey read say na him friend house him go.

Some of una just get problems. Always looking for who to blame.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by cosmatika(m): 3:03pm On Oct 18, 2019
Most police ppl die shameless deaths, that's because of d curses dey heap on their selves by causing untold sorrows on innocent citizens.
That's d reason I don't pity dem wen bad boys use dem to play guitar

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Etizz: 3:03pm On Oct 18, 2019
Ahmed0336:

Victim of circumstances

Is something wrong charging your phone at your friends place if he could help?

Though I know u did not read d full story....read it again....Dis time u will blame the police in your country

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 18, 2019
[quote author=Ahmed0336 post=83243843]Wetin N50 fit avoid o had it been he took the phone to where they charge phones.

Victim of circumstances

What if he hadn't any money?

4 Likes

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by lemon10(m): 3:05pm On Oct 18, 2019
This is a high level of injustice

2 Likes

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by 9jatriot(m): 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2019
When people say let us fight for politicians I always tell them that those ones can fight for themselves, these are the real people who the rule of law should be protecting.
Just imagine 2 years and still counting of someone's life stolen from him, I wonder how many more like him.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by steppin: 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2019
Be careful the kind of friends you keep.
One bad friend can destroy or make your life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'From Charging My Phone, I Landed In Prison' - Suspect by Korllami007: 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2019
When people sight Nigeria police and pick race, some idiots will talk say they are doing shady thing that's why they are running.
If people around you are running on sighting police and you think you're innocent so you don't need to run, by the time Nigerian police finish with you ehn, you will start running even if you see boys scout.

44 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Heavily Pregnant Woman Arrested With Meth In Edo / Two Armed Robbers Carrying Pump-Action Guns Arrested In Anambra (photos) / Military In Essien Udim: Man Hit By A Stray Bullet In Akwa Ibom (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.