Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) (45489 Views)

Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri / My Visit To 1000-Year-Old Tree & Byzantine Museum In Greece (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2019
Good afternoon Nairalanders, My name Collins remains unchanged, I represent MandyNews.com for culture, religion and travel/tour world.
Today, I will be posting about my visit to Makrinitsa (Greek: Μακρινίτσα), called the 'balcony' of Mt. Pelion, Magnesia, Greece,

To be honest, even if your final destination is not Makrinitsa, it is worth visiting the village even for a while and walking on its paved well-maintained paths, admiring the architecture of Pelion in all its glory, since the village has tens of well-maintained tower houses and many fountains. Additionally, its place makes the village unique, since when you visit it, you will find out the reason for which it is also called "The balcony of Pelion".

Arriving at Portaria, you will meet the junction to Makrinitsa. The road stops to a square where is the parking area of the village (called Brani). It should be noted, however, that you may have to leave your vehicle a little farer away, especially during holidays or weekends, since the village is crowded then. In any case, you will travel in the village on foot.

Going uphill to the main road that connects the parking area with the central square, you will see many tourist shops with several local (and not only) products. At the central square, which is indeed like a ‘balcony’ to Pagasitikos Gulf and an oasis of relaxation, you will admire and rest the over a hundred years old plane trees, hearing at the same time the running waters of the fountains.

It is also worth tasting a coffee and a traditional sweet (preserved fruits in syrup) in the central café, which is decorated with a mural of Theofilos, which presents the death of Katsantonis. Very close to the square, the Monastery of Theotocos was located, which constituted the cell of the foundation of Makrinitsa.

In Makrinitsa, you will have also the chance to visit churches with remarkable icons, such as the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos next to the marble fountaion with the "immortal water", the church of Agios Athanasios, of Agios Nicolaos, of Agios Georgios, of Panagia and of Agia Magdalene.

In the area, one can find many hotels, taverns, restaurants and bars.

My visit in Makrinitsa, would be unforgettable.

Check out photos below.

Source: https://mandynews.com/my-visit-to-makrinitsa-in-pelion/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:10pm On Oct 21, 2019
This Oriental plane (Platanus orientalis) trees on the dorpsplein in Makrinitsa, Thessaly, Greece is over 600 years.

Oriental Plane is very medicinal:
The leaves are astringent and vulnerary. The fresh leaves are bruised and applied to the eyes in the treatment of ophthalmia. A decoction is used to treat dysentery and a cream made from the leaves is used to heal wounds and chilblains.

11 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 21, 2019
Makrinitsa has a plenty of remarkable Churches, scattered throughout the traditional to the northwest is the graceful church of Timios Prodromos.
The church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which is the central parish church of the village, was built in 1767. The earthquakes of 1955 destroyed a large part of it, which ten years later was restored with the financial contribution of the Greek-American Hadji Konstantinos Askounis. The sculptures that come from Demetrias are built-in with admirable unity. The Church has to offer some of the finest examples of Greek folk stone sculpture.

13 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Smithkafors(m): 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2019
Greece,a beautiful country.

12 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2019
Makrinitsa Pelion pilio Makrinitsa is located on the mountain elevation‎: ‎600 m (2,000 ft)

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2019
The natural waterfall of Karavos. Karavos is a small natural waterfall, where the visitor has the opportunity to see Portaria from above and spend some hours of relaxation in the cafeteria that is there. From Portaria and towards the road to Makrinitsa it is definitely worth a stop any time you pass from Chiosoula square Zioga, a characteristic square for the water that falls from a small altitude and many visitors stop for the necessary photos. Last but not least, a visit to the Manas Pine is a landscaped area with a square between running waters and plane trees.

15 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2019
The museum hosts at the Kontou's residence, one of the most important monuments in Pelion. The painting decoration inside the house was begun by the painter Theophilos Hatzimichael in 1912 and is divided into two zones. In the first zone he painted various decorative themes, such as a wide variety of pots of flowers and birds, fountains, wildlife and hunting scenes, and in the second zone there are 14 large paintings with themes taken by the Greek Revolution. Entrance to the museum is free of charge and runs from Monday to Friday.

8 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2019
more

3 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 21, 2019
More photos

5 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 21, 2019
Lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2019
More photos via my phone gallery.

3 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2019
Up next is Bulgaria thread.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:44pm On Oct 21, 2019
This Oriental plane (Platanus orientalis) trees on the dorpsplein in Makrinitsa, Thessaly, Greece is over 600 years.
What a beautiful and colorful thread! kiss
Big Thumbs up to you.

We hope one day our darling nation will be projected to the world same way as this.
We have many loving and beautiful places all over Nigeria also.

Keep it up Collins.
Those are beautiful pictures, locations and country up there.
We wish you all the very best in your stay in Bulgaria.
Keep representing us well as you are doing biko.
Never lose focus......it's important

One Love. kiss
Btw, kudos to your cameraman, he/she deserves a pay raise!
*winks wink*

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:44pm On Oct 21, 2019
CollinsWeGlobe:
Up next is Bulgaria thread.
Let's go there........

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by yeyeboi(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2019
Ok
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by naijadrivablog: 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2019
grin Travelwaka things

1 Like

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by terroristbuhari: 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2019
[s]
post=83345534:

Let's go there........
[/s]

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Nlearn: 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Crazeworld(m): 8:47pm On Oct 21, 2019
Well done

Prospective Corps members, check my signature for your medical certificate and medical report
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:49pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nlearn:
Nice
Gongo Aso..... wink

Darkseid:
Nice photos but let the truth be told, there's nothing interesting in those pictures.
How can you see it?
Na d reason wey your name be Dark be dat now.
Oshisko!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by brainiac228(m): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice one bro
I'm Happy for you
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by momodub: 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice one see pure air

1 Like

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Luckysbab: 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2019
post=83345526:

What a beautiful and colorful thread! kiss
Big Thumbs up to you bro.

We hope one day our darling nation will be projected to the world same way as this.
We have many loving and beautiful places all over Nigeria also.

Keep it up Collins.
Those are beautiful pictures, locations and country up there.
We wish you all the very best in your stay in Bulgaria.
Keep representing us well as you are doing biko.
Never lose focus......it's important

One Love. kiss

Tell your darling Buhari to build on the tourism potentials of your darling nation na.

Yeye dey smell.

Kudos OP

13 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by DonTattaglia: 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2019
This is what I call tourism. Very informative and educative. Thanks man!
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by ursullalinda(f): 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2019
Tourism is fun men...Beautiful pictures
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Luckysbab: 9:00pm On Oct 21, 2019
momodub:
Nice one see pure air

How did you see the pure air bros? shocked
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by somehow: 9:03pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nothing extra ordinary here.

8 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by Darkseid(m): 9:10pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice photos but let the truth be told, there's nothing interesting in those pictures.

12 Likes

Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by sammyj: 9:10pm On Oct 21, 2019
cheesy
Re: Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos) by DaddyMorenike: 9:10pm On Oct 21, 2019
Shebi Na ketu this place dey?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

American Invitation Letter / Stratolaunch, The World’s Largest Airplane Takes First Flight / A Car Crashes Into Jabi Lake In Abuja (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.