Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit (41931 Views)

Share Your Secondary School Experience With Bullies / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School / My Medical School Diary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 6:47am On Oct 24, 2019
I want to share some of my bitter experiences in the medical school and how I scaled through just to motivate someone here. You never know who may be going through same experience.

I attended a Federal government College and I was amongst those students known for academic excellence through hard work and consistent dedication. I was above average. Graduated and got admission to study Dental Surgery (Dentistry) and by implication, Medicine and Surgery as well. My first Professional Medical exams (2nd MBBS) was Hitch-free as I blazed my courses, both the medical and the dental courses (2nd BDS). Experienced a little hitch in my 3rd MBBS exam, but pulled through.

The main challenge started in my fifth year, training in Medicine and Surgery under the Faculty of Medicine (4th BDS). I suffered an ailment which distracted me.. Came usually before my exams and made me lose focus. I wrote Medicine and Surgery numerous times without Passing. At a point I was asked to withdraw. My Faculty doubted that I would be able to pull through with the rigorous training in Medicine. After numerous applications, I was called back to continue owing to the health challenge I suffered. A bizarre challenge with nonspecific symptoms. All signs pointed to spiritual causes, my family and some of my lecturers asked me to quit school and go into trading or change course. But I kept telling whoever cared to listen that, it doesn't matter how long it takes, I must finish what I started.

One thing I ensured to do was to buckle up my spiritual life, I prayed harder and also worked harder each time I failed. I wrote the two courses (Medicine and Surgery) for up to six times. At a point I also suspected that my Faculty (Dentistry) was responsible for my numerous failures owing to the revolt I once organized in writing against the Faculty for some irregularities perpetrated by some lecturers and the Faculty Officer.

It came to the point that, I was given one more attempt before they relieve me of my studies. At this point I almost gave up. But I remembered how I started, my academic history from secondary school days and my early phase of medical school. My family and friends (many of who were already working and doing well) at a point also lost hope. I had to look at myself on the mirror and talk to the image I was staring at. Look, it doesn't matter how many times you have failed, the past doesn't have to define the future.

I dusted my books yet again and plunged into rigorous study routines. Sometimes on empty stomach, some other times, on my knees. I read like never before, and prayed too. I remembered all the years I had already spent and it became a Do or Die affair for me. When the results came out, I was the second best in Surgery. That was how I survived and reclaimed my lost glory.

I went into my Final Dental Surgery exam with hope and vigor. To the dismay of my lecturers who had already tagged me "not serious" I BLASTED (according to the word used by one of my lecturers). I became a thoroughly trained DOCTOR and a DENTAL SURGEON.

LESSONS:

Beyond the Medical training, I believe that my training was in all aspects of LIFE generally. I learnt Patience, Commitment, Faith, Humility, Hope, Kindness, Persistence, Hard work, and Caution. I believe that God allowed me go through this training just so to prepare me for a life of Greatness. For a house that would stand the test of time, must take time to build in all accuracy and strength. So is with the passing of gold through fire.

I also learned that life is not just Physical but also Spiritual. We have no control of certain spiritual occurrences and that is where we need a Supernatural interference.

MOTIVATION:

If you find yourself in similar situation or even worse, Never give up. Focus your gaze only on what you're pursuing and pay no attention to the turbulence and other distracting voices around. Keep improving at every stage, and with time the naysayers shall one day praise you for your indomitable spirit. Be strong.

273 Likes 31 Shares

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:49am On Oct 24, 2019
Moral of the Story : NEVER GIVE UP!

Thumbs up to you OP!

All the very best for the future.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 9:41am On Oct 24, 2019
@ Lalasticlala, let's motivate more people with this story.. e jo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 9:41am On Oct 24, 2019
post=83412009:
Moral of the Story : NEVER GIVE UP!

Thumbs up to you OP!

All the very best for the future.

Thanks a lot.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by fantasticone1(m): 10:08am On Oct 24, 2019
Your story is truly a great one. I'm truly inspired by the account of how you picked yourself back up despite what you passed through.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by exynos(m): 10:08am On Oct 24, 2019
Let me borrow this from Afoobabs
[...]It is the hammer of persistence that drives the nail of success
Congratulations, for my spirit is lifted up!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Alexaonfleek: 10:44am On Oct 24, 2019
Inspiring story

7 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 10:58am On Oct 24, 2019
fantasticone1:
Your story is truly a great one. I'm truly inspired by the account of how you picked yourself back up despite what you passed through.

I'm glad you're inspired.

6 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by iaamxavier(m): 11:09am On Oct 24, 2019
Moral

1. Never give up on ur dream and passion it'll always take to a greater height

2. Never give a fvck about anybody opinion trying to drag u down. Follow your heart always but use your head though.

3. When life gives u Lemons make a Lemanode drink with it and even add ice cube join wink

4. Don't ever look down on anybody when they are going through their worse phase in Life tomorrow is always pregnant

Congratulations to you OP for not giving up easily I'm inspired

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 11:09am On Oct 24, 2019
exynos:
Let me borrow this from Afoobabs [...]It is the hammer of persistence that drives the nail of success Congratulations, for my spirit is lifted up!
Thanks a lot.. Remain lifted up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 11:09am On Oct 24, 2019
exynos:
Let me borrow this from Afoobabs [...]It is the hammer of persistence that drives the nail of success Congratulations, for my spirit is lifted up!
Thanks a lot.. Remain lifted up.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 11:14am On Oct 24, 2019
iaamxavier:
Moral

2. Never give a fvck about anybody opinion trying to drag u down. Follow your heart always but use your head though.

3. When life gives u Lemons make a Lemanode drink with it and even add ice cube join wink

4. Don't ever look down on anybody when they are going through their worse phase in Life tomorrow is always pregnant

Thanks a lot.. Remain inspired.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by kel94(m): 11:21am On Oct 24, 2019
God bless u doc. You are one of those who made me fell in love with dentistry and dental surgery when I had thought it was only concerned with the teeth. Thanks for your success story, it's just what I need. Remain blessed!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by salemdv(m): 12:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
That's the spirit. Winners don't quit no matter what.

8 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by gloriaunobi(f): 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
What is wrong with all those people posting advertisement on nairaland?

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by cosmatika(m): 12:46pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congrats. I hope u ve made up ur mind to leave Nigeria? Start writing IELTS immediately because medical practice in Nigeria can be frustrating

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by arrestdarrester: 12:46pm On Oct 24, 2019
Well done! Your story is indeed inspiring

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by seunO4: 12:47pm On Oct 24, 2019
Love the unrelenting spirit you showed.

Kudoz.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Briells: 12:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congratulations.... To study medicine no be beans! Sadly I have a friend in the medical line, who got into depression and eventually got addicted to anti-depressant drugs. Thank God you pulled through, more wins for you, and please be more prayerful as the devil is still roaring upandan as the wounded lion that he is, seeking whom to devour.

Treat that keloid the natural way today, contact me on zero 8 zero 6 two five one 1 six one 0 for your permanent natural solution

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by madgoat(m): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
grin grin
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Kendumazy(m): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
Nice read

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by afonjabreed(m): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
iaamxavier:
Moral

3. When life gives u Lemons make a Lemanode drink with it and even add ice cube join winka

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by poshestmina(f): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
I'm inspired!!!
All the best in your endeavors dear OP.
God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 24, 2019
Whenever I get hurt, I dust myself up knowing time heals all wound.

Try Again

6 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:
@ Lalasticlala, let's motivate more people with this story.. e jo.

God bless you for this story. Please when you finally open your hospital, let us know so we can patronize you. At least we know you're not all these occultic doctors sucking patients blood in the name of treating them.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by illiteratepmb: 12:57pm On Oct 24, 2019
ha

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by mytime24(f): 12:58pm On Oct 24, 2019
Well done

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Shyluck(m): 12:59pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congratulations! hmmm !. Is good to run to God when the going becomes too tough.

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by OSUigboFlatHead(f): 1:00pm On Oct 24, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

JSS1 Student Caught While Trying To Use 'Juju' On A Female Student In Lagos / Unilorin Post-utme: Male Candidates Made To Cut Their Hair, Females Rent Wrapper / Most Beautiful University In Northern Nigeria! What Do U Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.