Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept (5303 Views)

Naira Likely To Weaken Further - Zainab Ahmed (Finance Minister) / Nigerian Stock Market Gains N434bn To Close N11.83tr In February / Diamond Bank Dominates Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by dipoolowoo: 9:05pm On Oct 26, 2019
By Adedapo Adesanya

Minister of Finance, Budget, and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, has rated the performance of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) low, saying it is not optimistically feasible and under-performing.

Mrs Ahmed said this during the 2020 National Budget defence on Thursday, October 24, before the Senate Committee on Finance at the National Assembly at the nation’s capital, Abuja.

According to her, both the nation’s money and capital markets have not been in their best, with the latter not been able to provide a vibrant mainstay for the weak Nigerian economy.

“The [Nigerian] stock market, to my mind, personally, is shallow and we are looking at how to deepen it,” Mrs Ahmed told the Senate Committee during the budget defence.

She made this comment while answering a question asked by Senator Kasim Shettima as to why the capital market didn’t step up to absorb the effects of Nigeria going into a recession in 2016.

The Finance minister also said that a larger percentage of investments in the nation’s capital market are done by foreign investors which meant that these expatriate investors holding a higher share of the market was not healthy for the country.

While looking at ways to turn around the NSE’s under-performance, Mrs Ahmed recommended an amendment to the Pension Act to enable government invest the enormous pension funds in the markets as well as in the development of infrastructural facilities.

She added that federal government was working together with capital markets operators to mobilise domestic investors in the capital market.

Business Post reports that in late 2018, President Muhammadu Buhari signed into law the bill to demutualise the stock exchange.

The Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning proposed a total of N3.8 billion for its 2020 operations.

https://businesspost.ng/economy/nigerian-stock-market-lacks-depth-finance-minister/

3 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Maslib: 6:54am On Oct 27, 2019
Eziokwu bu ndu

3 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Maslib: 6:55am On Oct 27, 2019
The Presidency will refute it soon or sack her .
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by iammo(m): 6:55am On Oct 27, 2019
shocked

When companies under report profit, or simply manipulate stock.. who would be stupid to keep investing on stock when treasury bills offers gurranteed income

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Maslib: 6:56am On Oct 27, 2019
Still am commenting for the 3rd time. Lai will say is deeper than ocean without knowing what she meant .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Amstupid(m): 6:56am On Oct 27, 2019
Pls guyz, which tread should I display my stupidity......
I get am plenty o grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by helinues: 6:57am On Oct 27, 2019
Ok
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by OlujobaSamuel: 7:01am On Oct 27, 2019
iammo:
shocked

When companies under report profit, or simply manipulate stock.. who would be stupid to keep investing on stock when treasury bills offers gurranteed income

Your head is there, our capital market is too shady

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by ivili(m): 7:02am On Oct 27, 2019
Amstupid:
Pls guyz, which tread should I display my stupidity......
I get am plenty o grin
Display am for any APC tread,it would be meaningful,thank me later.

7 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 27, 2019
Her kind of Personality reeks of less pressure gringrin. This woman is just..
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Truthbites: 7:03am On Oct 27, 2019
The whole country too lacks depth

3 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Cocolatti(m): 7:04am On Oct 27, 2019
The Capital market is a reflection of what Nigeria is...shady deals, manipulations, underhand tactics, lack of transparency etc
So obviously most Nigerians don't have confidence in the capital market

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:05am On Oct 27, 2019
Truth is bitter.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by RealLordZeus(m): 7:05am On Oct 27, 2019
The bitter truth! But what are you doing about it, Mrs Minister?
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 27, 2019
The foreign investors should be forced to divest their capital to other sectors if the economy.But I gez, they feel more safer in the capital market.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 27, 2019
Says the borrower finance minister. She has borrowed right into the next three generations.

1 Like

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by StrikeBack(m): 7:28am On Oct 27, 2019
grin

When they are confused, they start using catchy irrelevant words and grammar.

Tm

2 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by seguntijan(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2019
I gave up on Igbo presidency the day DR. CHRIS NGIGE lost senatorial election, it was very clear then that he's the next senate speaker if he wins but his kinsmen voted him out of the position. So if any igbo still contest for presidency, he'll be voted out by his people
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by EagleNest(m): 7:32am On Oct 27, 2019
Make them no carry all our pension money and throw into capital market. They should first clean it up to be more transparent and then it will attract investors all around by itself.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by otokx(m): 7:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Thank God for the law that does not permit them to deep hand in to peoples hard earned pensions.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Briells: 7:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Honestly, me I don't even understand this woman. I just thank God they don't have access to collect money from our bank account. Well even if they do, money no even dey there sef. grin

Treat that keloid the natural way today contact me on zero 8 zero six 2 five 1 one 6 one 0 for your permanent natural solution
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by 9jaBloke: 7:42am On Oct 27, 2019
otokx:
Thank God for the law that does not permit them to deep hand in to peoples hard earned pensions.

They are above the law
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by LZAA: 7:57am On Oct 27, 2019
seguntijan:
I gave up on Igbo presidency the day DR. CHRIS NGIGE lost senatorial election, it was very clear then that he's the next senate speaker if he wins but his kinsmen voted him out of the position. So if any igbo still contest for presidency, he'll be voted out by his people

1 Like

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by agitator: 8:11am On Oct 27, 2019
dipoolowoo:
By Adedapo Adesanya

She made this comment while answering a question asked by Senator Kasim Shettima as to why the capital market didn’t step up to absorb the effects of Nigeria going into a recession in 2016. /

These people are a big joke. You want to blame capital market for not taking action to stop the recession?

Factors that cause a recession include high interest rates, reduced consumer confidence, and reduced real wages. Effects of a recession include a slump in the stock market, an increase in unemployment, and increases in the national debt.

1. Nigerian banks give loans are very high interest rates. Government is not doing anything to reduce the interest rates to single digits.
2. Many states could not pay salaries, some paid half salaries which reduced real wages
3. Dollar to Naira exchange increase without increase in workers salaries, which also meant reduced real wages.

What did the government do? Which policies did the government put in place? None. Instead government decided to increase tax and imposed additional taxes, which in turn reduced the real wages of workers.

1 Like

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by dumodust(m): 8:14am On Oct 27, 2019
The question by shettima is very dumb.
The stock market reflects the economy not the other way round
Dumbos in question and answer session

4 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by chloride6: 8:22am On Oct 27, 2019
Sharrap!

Are you not the ones who have refused to allow Banks and PFA's to deploy funds in more creative ways?

Are you not the ones sterilising large amounts of capital from circulation...

undecided
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Qadaffi2idiamin: 8:54am On Oct 27, 2019
I will throw my money into a big deep well than throw it into that deep shit called Nigeria stock market.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by MusaChukwudi: 9:00am On Oct 27, 2019
chloride6:
Sharrap!

Are you not the ones who have refused to allow Banks and PFA's to deploy funds in more creative ways?

Are you not the ones sterilising large amounts of capital from circulation...

undecided

Theory full your head with this mhmm statement.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by Solsix(m): 9:42am On Oct 27, 2019
iammo:
shocked

There was a time I was doing everything possible to invest in stock market, thank God all my efforts was frustrated. The worst part of it was that I wanted to invest in shares of one useless company. Sorry would have been my surname.
Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by iammo(m): 9:44am On Oct 27, 2019
lol grin intercontinental bank did people like film trick

Solsix:

There was a time I was doing everything possible to invest in stock market, thank God all my efforts was frustrated. The worst part of it was that I wanted to invest in AIT shares. Sorry would have been my surname.

3 Likes

Re: Zainab Ahmed Says The Nigerian Stock Market Lacks Dept by research56: 11:18am On Oct 27, 2019
seguntijan:
where this one come from?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wat Biz Can I Start With 400k? / 100% FREE Videos On How Anyone Can Start & Profit From MINI Importation Business / I Want To Start POS Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.