Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,137 members, 7,835,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

The Next Step From Web Development - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Next Step From Web Development (1032 Views)

Please Urgent Help From Web Developers! / Hosting Of Website Tips From Web Developers / Ideas For Making Money From Web Forums! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Next Step From Web Development by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 11, 2010
i sat down to think in my room, there are basically 98% of people into the Web Development even though it is saturated with quacks, but no doubt the Good Ones Exist it got me thinking we can't be creating web applications for ever,so i like to ask myself and you could also, in the next 5years or 6 years to come do you still see yourself in the web Development game and if so what aspect, will it be the regular Contact Websites or creating Web Services and such, just thought i throw this question to to you and to me.take care and God Bless
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by dhtml3(m): 10:53pm On Nov 11, 2010
Interesting question, well, i think the solution is to step up your game - so you dont stay static for the next 5 years.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by yawatide(f): 10:48am On Nov 12, 2010
If you really love what you do, you will do it from "cradle to grave", or at least till you reach retirement age. And this covers a situation where you are "big" enough to stop coding and hire people to do it for you. If you are setting a 5-6-or whatever time frame, chances are that you are in it for the money and not the passion, IMHO.

Now, if you ask me where I see web dev in Naija over the next 5-6 years, just as I said in 2005 on here, I will say it again - based on what I am seeing at random, web dev will remain lucrative for the next 20 years (In 2005, I said 20 years but I am upgrading it to another 20 years). Reasons:

1) The El cheapos will drop by the way side, allowing the cream to rise to the top
2) Clients will become more aware of the crap that they have and demand better service
3) Clients will suddently realise that to attract the best, they will pay better.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by askphantom(m): 12:43pm On Nov 12, 2010
The web market in nigeria is still very young and growing fast. Me plan is to develop an online solution/service and build a business around it. It is the ultimate job. You work few hours, code and drink beer and play PS3 to relax. In the next couple of years it will be so and it starts now. I won't develop web application for people, i will develop web solutions/services and earn recurring income. The guys at www.plentyoffish.com get up to 1 billion page views monthly and make up to $10 million annually. That is what am working towards.   grin  grin  grin
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by liaslo1(m): 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2010
If you really love what you do, you will do it from "cradle to grave"

100% Support
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2010
Askphantom just hit the nail cuz am looking beyond web applications but solutions obviously i know web dev is still young but whats more important is upgrading to an advanced aspect of web development.anyway thanx for your contribution.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by yawatide(f): 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2010
What is the difference b/w web application and web solution? Doesn't an application, at the end of the day, provide a solution?

Someone, educate me please.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by nitation(m): 4:26pm On Nov 12, 2010
@lolz - very good question you posted here.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 12, 2010
Error i was going to mention reducing developing simple website as compared to web applicarion.they both mean the same. Reason why i asked this is cuz i havent seen an advanced app except kolejo.so am just asking this question just to make a resolve in order to step up my game just like askphantom said,
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2010
i asked madam yawa a simlar question yesterday. She gave me a good answer!
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by yawatide(f): 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2010
hmm, nitation, why you leave your wife now, with 4 pikins to boot? tongue
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by craziest: 5:51pm On Nov 12, 2010
Yeah lots of individuals have messed the wep biz. The is still hope of making mega bucks if your can create sumtin different and yeful
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by nitation(m): 6:08pm On Nov 12, 2010
@Yawa, you forgot about me now after our first dinner you decided to pull all those stunts. Anyway, i enjoyed those lips certainly. Back with all force from the atlanta ship, can they beat that?
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 12, 2010
@nitation and yawa , no comment
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by quadrillio(m): 7:51pm On Nov 12, 2010
@nitation
where ve you been?

@yawa,
e ya, pele.

@poster,
In the next five years, I'll still be a developer. but I'll ve top up my skills, develop applications that provides solutions.

Definately a boss by then, controlling and handling big projects even outside the shores of this country.

- SAFE.
Re: The Next Step From Web Development by inf8nity(m): 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2010
I think every serious web developer will ask him/herself this question one time.
well its best to understand why we ask ourselves this question.

I'll focus on two points that I think are the root cause:

1) Tired of working on projects without getting paid what you really deserve since
the QUACKS have saturated the market and diluted the PRICES.

2) Working on a project without knowing when the next project will come, and for
you to get one you need to compromise on the PRICE so that the quacks don't beat
you cause all they compete on is the PRICE.

Well after thinking about this it dawned on me that I can't change the market and if
I need to do what I love to do and still pay my bills I need to change my mindset
and how I play in this game (web development).

So what did I do,
I picked a couple of the so called quacks in my location trained them well and
employed them. (If you can't beat them join them or at least let them join you) wink

This way I can concentrate on building my business by looking for more clients
since I now have more time on my hands and fewer quacks to compete with. smiley

THE MORAL OF THE STORY
Have a plan to transition from a WEB DEVELOPER into a BUSINESS OWNER that owns
a web development Company. At least this has worked well for me. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Hyperlink Headache! / Cpanel (with Domain Name) And Blog For Sale / Directory Submission And Page Rank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.