Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,248 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History (28960 Views)

AFCON: Cameroon FA Rejects Samuel Eto'o Fils' Resignation / Etienne, Samuel Eto'o's Son To Play For Cameroon In FIFA Under-17 World Cup / Samuel Eto'o's Multi-million Dollar Car Collections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Dagrace01(m): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
vic17:
wetin u dey talk? Why okocha no follow Ronaldinho go Barca from PSG
I don't get u, will he be the one to sign himself to Barca? Don't u know the level of racism in Spain? If you're too good as a black they don't care about u. Go and ask the likes of Makelele and Marcus Senna.. Eto'o's case was different, he came from the youth set up of Real Madrid.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by zynzyn(m): 6:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
obembet:
Although the Ballon d'Or eluded him during his playing time, the Cameroon legend feels he is the best African player ever

Former Barcelona and Inter Milan striker Samuel Eto’o has insisted he is the best African player in history.

The 38-year-old had an illustrious career where he won 18 major trophies, including three Champions Leagues and two Africa Cup of Nations titles as well as an Olympic gold medal.

Eto’o was named the African Player of the Year four times but failed to win the Ballon d'Or, with his best placing being in the 2005 edition where he finished third.

Eto’o believes he was the best player from the continent, given his achievements during his playing time for his country and the various clubs he played for.

"I don't need to lay claim to anything, it's just a fact. Whether you accept it or not, it's a fact," Eto’o told AFP.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You know, as an African, you are always being judged. What is unacceptable is that the first people to do it are always the Africans. They can't take anything away from me because I am proud to be African.

"When I look at where I came from and how far I got, I tell myself that I am entitled to be proud. That doesn't mean I am big-headed, far from it. It is just that, in this world, people like puppets and I don't accept being one."

Source : https://www.eurosport.com/football/barcelona-legend-samuel-eto-o-it-s-a-fact-that-i-m-the-best-african-player-ever_sto7519157/story-amp.shtml

MOST DECORATED Sir

But third, behind George Weah and Raber Madjer!!

You were never MVP at African Cup of Nations

You never excelled at The World Cup

Unlike George Weah, you had several opportunities to do these, because you played for Mighty Cameroon!

Today, it's like soccer is only played in European Clubs angry embarassed
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Skmoda360(m): 6:10pm On Nov 01, 2019
GideonIdaboh:
I just asked my hubby now and he confirmed to me that Yakubu Aiyegbeni is number 1 followed by Osaze Odemwinge.
Ah!!!!! grin grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy wink cheesy
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by maigemuu: 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2019
GideonIdaboh:
I just asked my hubby now and he confirmed to me that Yakubu Aiyegbeni is number 1 followed by Osaze Odemwinge.

Spy on ur hubby...he is smoking weed secretly.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by abbiboy: 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
Rednaxelot:
He May be the most decorated African player, George Weah still holds the highest individual award more than Eto’o does.

European football and World football awards aren’t “moinmoin”
For ur mind...award to title wic is better?This is football not literature.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by abbiboy: 6:16pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:
very true!

Aside petty awards, who in Africa can beat these.....................

Gold at the 2000 Olympics
Africa Cup of Nations winner in 2000, 2002
African Player of the Year in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010
UEFA Champions League winner in 2005, 2009, 2010
African Cup of Nations all-time top goalscorer
RCD Mallorca all-time top goalscorer
Cameroon all-time top goalscorer
He came third in 2005 for FIFA World Player of the Year.
He has been to a record 4 world cup competitions when Goerge Weah could not boast of one.
Abeg shoe get size
Ur head dey there.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by femi4: 6:24pm On Nov 01, 2019
GideonIdaboh:
you!...husband? ...who dash you?
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by femi4: 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:
very true!

He has been to a record 4 world cup competitions when Goerge Weah could not boast of one.
Abeg shoe get size
Weah played for Liberia .....Eto couldn't have won those with Somalia.

What Weah won ( Ballon d'Or: 1995
FIFA World Player of the Year: 1995) superceed everything you put up there. Its just like an Olympic event...1gold medal is heavier than 99 silver and broze put together
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Zaikon(m): 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:
very true!

Abeg shoe get size

Okrika get quality Weah is not his mate

1 Like

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Zoroaster: 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
Suremikky:
If you want to go by awards, den the European and world footballer award won by weah overwrites all eto’s awards,,but if for any reason u still doubt the supremacy of weah in Africa football, den I will suggest you do a YouTube search for best of weah and that of eto,,I’m sure wat your eyes will see will convince you beyond reasonable doubt that weah is one of the few extraordinary athletes that ever played the game
Eto'o in his prime was a far better player.
The only thing eto'o did not win was ballon d'or
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by adez2016(m): 6:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
femi4:
Weah played for Liberia .....Eto couldn't have won those with Somalia.

What Weah won ( Ballon d'Or: 1995
FIFA World Player of the Year: 1995) superceed everything you put up there. Its just like an Olympic event...1gold medal is heavier than 99 silver and broze put together
l disagree with you on this.

Fine, Eto played for Cameroun but we have small non-playing teams like Togo, Angola and Congo play at the world cup. Weah should have singlehandled carry Liberia like how expectional players do for their countries.

Aside his international awards(Cameroun), what of those he achieved at the different clubs he represented? Or does Somali and Cameroun come to play here too?

And to ur last point.................1 gold medal is heavier than 99 silver and bronze...... hmmmm u are right partially but can the financial value of 1gold medal be greater than 99 silver l guess not

1 Like

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by FromZeroToHero(m): 6:48pm On Nov 01, 2019
OfeAchi:
Is you better than Chukueze?

The greatest so far...
1. CR7===The one and only GOAT. Greater than Pele and Maradona
2. Mo Salah===He is greater than Weah and Eto'o
3. Pele & Maradona
5. Chukueze
6. Eto
7. Weah
8. Then that short engine from Barcelona===Messi the SHEEP
Side effect of too much Ofe Achi
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by abbey621(m): 6:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:

l disagree with you on this.

Fine, Eto played for Cameroun but we have small non-playing teams like Togo, Angola and Congo play at the world cup. Weah should have singlehandled carry Liberia as how expectional players do for their countries.

Aside his international awards(Cameroun), what of those he achieved at the different clubs he represented? Or does Somali and Cameroun come to play here too?

And to ur last point.................1 gold medal is heavier than 99 silver and bronze...... hmmmm u are right partially but can the financial value of 1gold medal be greater than 99 silver l guess not

Come on surely this is not logical. The teams you mentioned Congo, Togo and Angola had other players playing in Europe and other foreign continents. That Liberia team was one eof the worst in African history, zero talents aside from WEah, no money from the federation to even train the athletes properly. Abeg o, football in 1995 was drastically different from 2005 upwards, there's more money now which means better training and better players.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by thatigboman: 6:55pm On Nov 01, 2019
Rednaxelot:
He May be the most decorated African player, George Weah still holds the highest individual award more than Eto’o does.

kanu nwankwo and jj okocha are far better than eto
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
Rednaxelot:

Etoo is far better than George, forget that he won the World best. Etoo won third best player winning Champions league 3 times

1 Like

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by RTSC: 7:10pm On Nov 01, 2019
I hate it when a guy blows his trumpet.

I am sure if it was a Nigerian with the same accomplishments bragging like this, the comments on nairaland would be very different.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Kemkemgirl(f): 7:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
Watch Sport Alert with Ekemini Nelson....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFgUHwymrCo
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Frankaka8(m): 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2019
OfeAchi:

The greatest so far...
3. Pele & Maradona
5. Chukueze
6. Eto
7. Weah
ur brain is full of relaxer... get well soon
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Yoighaman(m): 7:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Isinweke:
The President of Liberia have the award, you can go and collect it.

George Weah, the president of Liberia is the only African player that have won the world best player award

World best player= 5 champions league, 5 EPL, 5 La Liga, 5 Bundesliga, 5 Serie A and 5 French L1, that's the world we now live in. Pele is greater than Ronaldo and Messi combined because he won the world cup? Maradona is also greater than Ronaldinho and Zidane combined because he also won the world cup? I shake my head.

1 Like

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by arrestdarrester: 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:
very true!

Abeg shoe get size

Yes Ooo...shoe get size that's why WORLD BEST PLAYER size no fit am.

Give it up for GEORGE OPONG WEAH

1 Like

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Ajibade123(m): 7:52pm On Nov 01, 2019
this is actually true he his the greatest player Africa has produced
anyway see how to prepare for an oral interview https://explicitsuccess.com/steps-for-preparing-effective-oral-presentation-2/
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Nobleking2000(m): 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2019
TruthinAction:
Must he say it. Let people praise you and not yourself.

Besides, one gold medal is bigger than a million silver medal. George Weah won the world best and that beats his record.

going by this your analysis fabio cannavaro is a better defender than sergio ramos and john terry because he won fifa best player.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Colb461: 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2019
Any good football analysy's knw's eto should av won it in the yr 2005 bt racism and favouritism played it part.that y it would difficult for any african player to be awarded the title world best again after george weah..
Isinweke:
The President of Liberia have the award, you can go and collect it.

George Weah, the president of Liberia is the only African player that have won the world best player award

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by sirjomore(m): 8:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
jesus247alive:
For him mind oo

What's happened to JUDGE WEAH that won world best.... What happened to JJ
Pack well biko.
Loll what did JJ win?
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by holurinde(m): 8:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
What's this one saying
��
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 01, 2019
I totally agree with him
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Zoroaster: 8:28pm On Nov 01, 2019
Eto'o was also consistent...throughout his career
He was prolific even when he was aging
He was also more talented..
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by ensamy(m): 8:28pm On Nov 01, 2019
Eto and George Weah are products of Fecafoot Cameroon football. George Weah started his career in Cameroon club Tonnere Yaoundé, from there he moved to France. shocked shocked shocked cool shocked . Roger Milla is another product of Cameroon football. Not to talk of legendary goalkeepers.
Thomas Nkono etc
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by Dobodobo04: 8:50pm On Nov 01, 2019
adez2016:
very true!

Abeg shoe get size

George Weah’s Liberia was ravaged by war when he was on top, so he couldn’t have achieved the national accolade Eto achieved.

Eto bursted to the scene at a young age and has been consistent ever since but he had a peaceful country to return to. Weah during his illustrious club career never had the luxury.

Both are really great players but for consistency, Eto edges it.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by owbabs: 8:59pm On Nov 01, 2019
He was going to be top scorer for Barca until politics sidelined him.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
paradigmshift:

How many George weah match u watch?
I have never watched any Pele match does not make Ronaldo or Messi greater than him.
Re: Eto'o: I'm The Best African Player In History by StupidNLmods: 9:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
OfeAchi:

The greatest so far...
3. Pele & Maradona
5. Chukueze
6. Eto
7. Weah

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lionel Messi's Father, Jorge Hits Out At Critic Of His Son's 7th Ballon D'or Win / Man Utd 'up For Sale' As The Glazers Begin Process To Seek New Buyers / Manchester City Win Premier League Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.