Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets (27997 Views)

Despite Importation Ban, Foreign Rice Floods Nigerian Markets / Rice Price Rises By 29.41%, In Two Months Following Border Closure / Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jamillion: 5:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
Effect of the recent closure of Nigerian border by federal government have not only affect rice importation but also seems to be taking a toll on other forign commodities in Nigerian markets. Stock fish as one among the rest is becoming scarce in the market and the little, one can get from grocery shops are being sold in unusual prizes. People of God, do you think this is a good pointer to a better Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by hisgrace090: 6:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
And ordinary ice fish is as costly as gold in the market now.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Mcreloaded(m): 7:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
In the early 70s to early 80s head of stock fish head was not sold or eaten in Nigeria.
Then kpanla was very dry and you need saw blade to cut it to pieces.

When the economy started to go bad in the mid 80s thats when we started seeing kpanla head for sale in the markets.
How things have changed

120 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by jesmond3945: 8:55pm On Nov 01, 2019
go into fish farming simple

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Cutehector(m): 7:28am On Nov 03, 2019
Fish farming now the oil market shocked shocked shocked

Biko i'm going to pull out my money

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by nototribalist: 7:29am On Nov 03, 2019
The media houses need to stop all these propaganda news they're dishing out every day.

Why should Benin republic import everything from their port and make money on our behalf. How can a small country import more bags of rice than their population.

Even though I don't like Buhari, but this border closure has exposed so many people like people who import Palm oil, like seriously Palm oil? You have the mind to smuggle Palm oil into Nigeria? Like seriously are we mad? SS and SE are flooded with Palm oil. Some people are now importing already made stew from China, go to ShopRite you will see already made stew, like seriously are we mad in this country? Even vegetable oil, Rice, stock fish, cloths, salt, tomato paste, and frozen chicken.

It's game over for Benin republic, cos they've been cheating us for decades now.

It's also game over for Ghanaians who comes to Nigeria to buy products that are subsidized with our Dollar, and they still have the audacity to be locking Nigerian shops for years.

I even thought that Ghanaians travels to Asia and Europe to buy products, I didn't know they're squeezing products out of Nigeria.

I was watching their TV news on DStv as Ghanaian traders were interviewed on how it's affecting their business.

One extension hair seller said she's in trouble cos she has ran out of stock and customers are complaining cos Xmas is around the corner.

The other one said he went to Ladipo to buy motor spare parts but he couldn't carry the goods out of Nigeria.

Ghana Traders union inserted a law in their constitution that for a Nigerian to open even small provision shop the person must first pay them $300,000 us dollars. That's the most wicked law Ive ever seen in my life. That's like saying we don't want Nigerians in our country.

But our recent border closure exposed this Ghanaian traders Union, they all come to Nigeria to buy all manner of goods to sell in Ghana.

What if Nigerian government to put into law that only Ghanaian traders must pay us $300,000 us dollars before they can buy a wheelbarrow load of engine oil cans from Ladipo. Since we all want to be mad in Africa let's all be mad.

So they depends on Nigerian goods but they're the ones who hate Nigeria the most in West Africa.

That border will remain closed till 2050. Period.

Media houses continue the propaganda news,

good thing Buhari doesn't read all these propaganda. You're wasting your time.

245 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by GuestLog: 7:29am On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
Hmmmm! You Buhari supporters talk dumb a times. What do you mean by start a fish farm. Do you mean we should start stockfish farming in Nigeria?

Do you even know what a life stockfish (codfish) look like?

PS: for those of you quoting me...
1: No, one mustn't eat codfish but note that not everyone eats catfish as well. Especially in the north where they believe it is a carnivore

2: You cannot breed a codfish in Nigeria as a business because this fish natural habitat is icy salt waters which can only be bred in northern Europe (Norway & Iceland)

3: instead of closing the border of Nigeria, why not reduce tarriff and import tax. Closing the border means even Nigerians can't export our commodity to other African countries through land border. Thereby creating unfavorable balance of trade and breech of bilateral agreements

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by geunik(m): 7:29am On Nov 03, 2019
It is well. The whole game have advantages and disadvantages

5 Likes

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by noble71(m): 7:29am On Nov 03, 2019
Nigerians can complain for Africa!!!
Price of rice has increased! Yes! Why not go into agriculture and make millions.
There is stock fish scarcity why not go into fish farming and make millions.
They will complain that unemployment rate has increased but I see lots of opportunities to make money in this closed border.
China developed because their government ban importation of many things.
I support this border closure! It's just that the timing was wrong.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by realestniggah: 7:30am On Nov 03, 2019
HIT LIKE if you support the border closure

HIT SHARE if you don't

234 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by chibu4u2(m): 7:30am On Nov 03, 2019
shocked

Go the market to buy foodstuffs, the next thing u hear is " u no know say border don close?"

Things are just too expensive in the market.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by StrikeBack(m): 7:30am On Nov 03, 2019
Finished country
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by naijadrivablog: 7:30am On Nov 03, 2019
Hmm. I am blessed to know a former Deputy Director of NAQS and he told me how he went to Tromsø to see how stock fish are cured and after that trip, he doesn't eat stock fish again.

The Norwegians that produce this stock fish (okporoko) don't eat it. It is for export only.

Just take the issue of rice from Thailand (5-10yrs stored rice sold to us) as a related case.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Sultty(m): 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
Let's all enjoy it. It's called change

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by MoIbrahim: 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
What!
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by niggi4life(m): 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
Seems people are still not getting it. The closure of the borders is a wake up call for indigenous Nigerians to start their business and they will flourish.

If neighbouring countries are bent on exporting their goods to Nigeria, let them do so by either sea or air. Simple!

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by iCauseTrouble: 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
sad

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by asorockvibesblo: 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
Well only God knows

1 Like

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by id4sho(m): 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
it's air dried after partially been rotten( a kind of putrid odour). I wachted a documentary on it. The cod oil which is a very important nutrients has been extracted from it. it came to Nigeria during the civil war because of it protein content though in small value for malnourished Biafrans. it made from all this Scandinavian countries and icy regions

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 03, 2019
jesmond3945:
Only you will farm rice, farm fish , farm chicken.

There is no country in the world that don't depend on export. Banning some products to favor one part of the country is not a good way to govern

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by englishmart(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Border closure causes lack of form for Manchester United

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by BafanaBafana: 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Is it that there are no stock fish in our waters of that there is no one to catch them?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by micgray100(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Is this the change we all voted for?

I need someone to explain to me the benefit of closure so far.. As it not cause more hardship on a common man?.. All items have increased in prices... I am still waiting to see the positive side of this govt..

I register Limited Liability Company with CAC for just 75k.. See commendation from fellow nairalanders on my trend.
call or watsapp 0703 272 8941

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Onlydaughter(f): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Not just stock fish, sellers have taken advantage of border closure to increase the price of everything in the market.

I hope this is a way forward sha. Let us not come and suffer in vain eventually.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by datola: 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Imagine the rubbish our people are eating all in the name of imported food item.

Let the border remain closed please.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 03, 2019
Wow! Good development
Man shall not live by stock fish alone.
Cray fish is better

Open doors to fish farming in Nigeria

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Texty: 7:33am On Nov 03, 2019
H
Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Opiletool(m): 7:33am On Nov 03, 2019
But why should stock fish be scarce in Nigeria when we have waters and fishermen?
Wetin dm con dey fish?
Those fishermen have never been encouraged by our government. Maybe this border closure is a good thing after all.

Modified :

Thanks for those that took their time to inform me that certain fishes can not survive in our waters; hence the reason for importation.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 7:33am On Nov 03, 2019
wait, na every thing we dey import for this country

because me I no understand again ooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure Causes Stock Fish Scarcity In Nigerian Markets by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:33am On Nov 03, 2019
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

My Foodie Visit To Sonoma, California / Young Man Makes Pepper Soup With Bush Rat After Hunting It Down. Photos / How to Make Kidney Beans Sauce (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.