Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair (40435 Views)

Man In A Wheelchair Holding A Moving Truck (Photos) / Dana Air, Asky Sign Interline Agreement For Strategic Partnership / Nigerian Man Calls Out ASKY Airlines Over His Missing Luggage Since September (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by lalasticlala(m): 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2019
A physically-challenged Nigerian lady, Blessing Mary Ocheido, has called out Asky Airlines, accusing them of destroying her wheelchair without fixing it.

Read what she wrote below:

HOW ASKY AIRLINES DESTROYED MY MOTORISED WHEELCHAIR AND ABANDONED ME TO MY FATE

On the 15th of August, 2019, I flew Asky from Abidjan to Abuja and on landing at Nnamdi Azikwe Airport, I discovered that my wheelchair's hand control had been shattered beyond repair. I called the attention of the manager and he reluctantly agreed to fix it.

On the 13th of September, almost a month later of begging and calling the Asky front desk, an Asky staff member brought the hand control to me that it has been fixed when in actual fact, it was just a paper tape that was wrapped around the shattered hand control. I was shocked beyond belief but still took my time to explain to him how what they had done was a great insult as well useless.

Since then, Asky Airlines has done nothing about it. I kept telling them I travel often and I need my wheelchair as a matter of neccesity and they would promise to fix it but won't call again. Eventually, they told me to find someone to fix it and they will pay. An older, very good friend of mine reached out to the person who fixes her own wheelchair and he said the hand control was beyond repair and that he has to get a new one, do this and that.. and so drew up an invoice and sent it to me. I immediately forwarded the invoice to Asky on October 16, 2019 and told them to hurry as I had another trip coming up in about 2 weeks. The message went unattended to. I will call and they won't pick up. Then they called and said the invoice had been forwarded to the manager and he "will see what can be done about it."

I implored the aforementioned friend to call them as well but they did not pick her calls. On October 26, 2019, I was to travel to Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airlines but they refused to send their wheelchair out to me. That I can only come to the counter to be issued a wheelchair; also that their policy forbids them to bring out wheelchairs to customers and that as a customer with disability, I ought to already have my own means of mobility. Guess what? Their counter is on the second floor of the intertnational wing.

Four people including 2 airport officials went up to Ethiopian Airlines counter with my passport to beg for a wheelchair on my behalf and I was denied still. I struggled up until I stopped out of sheer exhaustion. I missed my flight. An airport security guard, on seeing me, got angry and went up to seize a wheelchair for me.

When I approached the Ethiopian Airlines manager, he apologised profusely and rescheduled my flight for the next day at no extra cost to me.

After this was settled, I went to Asky's Counter and asked for an update on my wheelchair. They kept making vague promises and saying their manager was not around. With tears in my eyes, I explained how their negligence had cost me a flight, two important meetings and all the stress and pain I have had to endure since August. They still said nothing of worth. I returned the next day and insisted I wasn't traveling without a wheelchair. Guess what? After hours of waiting, they brought out an ancient wheelchair that I cannot move on my own, leaving me at the mercy of strangers to get around.

This is one of the most cruel and insane things I have ever gone through in my entire life, especially as I do not have a single blame. Asky has treated me despicably and without an iota of consideration for my rights or welfare.

I intend to stage a protest upon my return. Right now, I am no longer demanding to have my hand control fixed because it does look beyond repair. I am demanding a brand new motorised wheelchair for all the trauma and disregard I have suffered since August 15, 2019. Everyone knows how very expensive motorised wheelchairs are and seeing as I'm not rich, I cannot just up and buy another.

I am calling on well-meaning Nigerians to help me fight this aviation company that believes persons with disabilities do not count, from the way our mobility aids are manhandled to how cases of damaged properties are resolved. If you are a lawyer willing to take up this case, I beg you to help me please. Injustice to one is injustice to all.

All relevant pictures are hereby attached with description. Help me mention @ASKY in the comment section and share until they see this post. They seem to have more followers on Facebook than on Twitter although I'm still going to tweet about it.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2547341558676545&id=100002021774405

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by lalasticlala(m): 7:22pm On Nov 01, 2019
Pix

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Carbon2Oxide: 7:26pm On Nov 01, 2019
Poor woman embarassed , even with her disability they still find a way to make life unbearable for her.
Can she sue the airline?

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by abiolert(m): 7:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
Sue them abeg

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by ForeThinker: 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2019
Nawaoo...
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Auxtin85(m): 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2019
One of the loaders don break her wheelchair

4 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Goldencheese(m): 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2019
Carbon2Oxide:
Poor woman embarassed , even with her disability they still find a way to make life unbearable for her.
Can she sue the airline?

She can make free money by suing them for damages.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by labusinessguide: 8:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
Thank you for posting it here

1 Like

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
After this was settled, I went to Asky's Counter and asked for an update on my wheelchair. They kept making vague promises and saying their manager was not around.
But how much is a wheelchair that the Airline cannot afford to buy a new one for her?

This one below that is much more of high quality and standard than her own is only around #100,000 or less.

Peole wicked sha.
Anyways, we @ must get to the root of this matter and see to it that justice is done.
(It will be willingly and lawfully done)
By next week, y'all will be here to read something positive about this.
Poor lady!

Modify : someone pointed out that it is a motorized wheelchair,
then we are talking about #1.5M then.
It is still achievable.

Gboliwe:

We raised the funds to buy that wheelchair for her. I am very happy to have done that. It was about N650k that year.
Hello Chief Gboliwe,
Do you mean people contributed and bought this same wheelchair that the airline messed up with or is it that this is an old news and you have gotten a new one for her after this incident?
We are a bit confused now.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2019
abiolert:
Sue them abeg

That's right.

5 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by aylive02(m): 8:36pm On Nov 01, 2019
Disable their image too

14 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Onyi22(f): 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
Y the name tag
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by FamousMonk: 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
I have a Wheelbarrow for sale..

2 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by AsoC: 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
Ehya
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Pavore9: 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
They only do the needful when their case have been brought up on social media.

9 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by wonuks(m): 8:38pm On Nov 01, 2019
embarassed
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by WowSweetGuy(m): 8:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
na d chair wey spoil b dat? d handle is not looking damaged from d pic but dont know of reality.

who else saw VAT in d bill...This buhari regime na so so charges everywhere sote d repair man add his own VAT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
shocked
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by kestolove95(m): 8:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Dix woman go like trouble
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
A Nincompoop and infamous idiot.
FamousMonk:
I have a Wheelbarrow for sale..

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by jaxxy(m): 8:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
That useless and ill mannered airline shud be sued and boycotted... I mean since August??

6 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
kestolove95:
mrwonlasewonie:
so she should just ignore being treated like crap after her means of mobility was destroyed and they don't even have the decency and humility to apologize

I'm sure people like you are part of these unruly and rude service provider workers.no wonder impunity and anarchy is everywhere

Imagine someone asking for her right is now labelled a trouble maker.imagine the fool I'm sharing nationality with.smh
Awwwww,
Na dis kind reply we dey love.
Thanks for this reply sir!

Pikin wey dem teach manners for house,
wey no gree take am,
na for Nairaland we go teach am!

Oya take am.........

GBAS-GBOS!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by foreshore(m): 8:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
lalasticlala:
A physically-challenged Nigerian lady, Blessing Mary Ocheido, has called out Asky Airlines, accusing them of destroying her wheelchair without fixing it.

Read what she wrote below:

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2547341558676545&id=100002021774405

So sad!! Man's inhumanity to man.

3 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by gozzlin: 8:42pm On Nov 01, 2019
I really pity and sympathize with her. But why she dey travel up and dan sef? Abi she be minister for foreign affairs? undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by ursullalinda(f): 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
Lawless system...no one to fight for her....heartless and selfish airline

7 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by femtex007(m): 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2019
That's wickedness

2 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by raphy(m): 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2019
i wish I was a lawyer this case for sweet to take .
I would have help her sue them to there ballls. imagine the wickedness they have done to her since.. she has her human right to sue them.

6 Likes

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2019
kestolove95:
Can you just shut up for once if you have nothing reasonable to say?!

mrwonlasewonie:
so she should just ignore being treated like crap after her means of mobility was destroyed and they don't even have the decency and humility to apologize

I'm sure people like you are part of these unruly and rude service provider workers.no wonder impunity and anarchy is everywhere

Imagine someone asking for her right is now labelled a trouble maker.imagine the fool I'm sharing nationality with.smh
Thanks for replying that tin sir.

kestolove95,
Take am again,
Gbosa.....

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by superlanny(m): 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2019
Who do I want to believe when I have heard one side of the story, even as much as many airline companies have poor customer care relations, I know they could afford to get her a new one, so why didn't they, well make them settle am...."Fucck em"
Re: Disabled, Blessing Mary Ocheido: Asky Airlines Destroyed My Motorised Wheelchair by Roon9(m): 8:46pm On Nov 01, 2019
The whites make millions from situation as this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures From Olumo Rock Tourist Centre in Abeokuta / Enugu Policemen Ran Away After Their Roadblock Caused Multiple Car Accident / No Jobs In Dubai: Nigerian Man Warns Nigerians Still Coming To Dubai (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.