Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Partisan Journalism: Journalist Hangout - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Partisan Journalism: Journalist Hangout (488 Views)

Why We Banned Father Mbaka From Partisan Politics ― Catholic Bishops / Coronavirus #COVID19NIGERIA Is Beyond Partisan Politics And Societal Status. / I Won’t Mention Any Candidate Or Be Partisan To Any Political Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Partisan Journalism: Journalist Hangout by aviara: 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
Over the past 5 years I have watched this particular TV program on TVC titled 'Journalist Hangout' it's a a live program that is aired everyday (Mondays to Fridays) at 5pm and a repeat broadcast at 11pm. The program is majorly focused on politics and occasionally it delves into other current affairs in the country. It usually host several journalists who analyse and provide answers to questions usually asked by the anchor of the program. I personally find the indepth analysis of the invited journalists on the program very interesting.

However, from my observations of watching the program over the years, I have noticed that both the anchor of the TV program and the invited guests seem to have a bias for the ruling party (APC). The amount of time and energy allotted to discussing the challenges, strategies and success of the APC as a party is even much more than the time allotted to speaking against the ills in the polity and in the government.

I have also noted that during the program, the invited journalists while analysing issues in the polity, will be bold enough to attack and condemn certain APC officials or members who may be going against certain vested interest to whom they directly or indirectly have allegiance to. The tone and manner of the analysis given in this program will almost make you believe that these journalists who are supposed to be non partisan in the course of their profession are somewhat a mouthpiece for the APC government. They also prefer to shun discussing the lapses and failure of this government and even if they do, it is only discussed briefly without touching the critical areas.

Just last week, I watched an episode which focused on the kogi election and I was disappointed how these journalists were subtly promoting vote as a strategy parties can employ on the day of election to secure victory at the poll. Besides, before now, one of the regular guest has always been a major attacker to the governor of Kogi state and has sharply condemned his leadership style and failure. However on this show, he seemed to have become a fan of the governor. I could hear him subtly suggesting strategies the governor could employ to secure victory at the poll. I suspect this may not be disconnected from the fact that his godfather to whom he holds allegiance has mended fence with the current governor of Kogi state. So the issue is no longer about competence but politics.

I believe professional journalism shouldn't be biased, shouldn't take sides but be objective and promoting ideals of society that will have positive impact on the ordinary citizen.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help: Lawyer Goes Missing On Benin-abuja Road / Jos Hikers Take A Tour Round Jos. (pics) / [PHOTOS]: Electricity Worker Meets Untimely Death While Disconnecting Cables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.