Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? (13309 Views)

Is It OK To Lie On Your Resume? / Can You Lie To Save Ur Life At Gunpoint? / Ten Mistakes You Must Avoid In Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2019
Hi all, it is your HR guy, and today, I will be taking about consequences of exaggeration on your CV. I would also remind you that I have interviewed thousands of candidates, so I speak from experience.

In a bid to land lucrative job roles, job seekers perform a whole lot of wonders on their resumes. In a bid to get lucrative job roles, most of them tend to exaggerate. But should you really risk telling a lie on your CV?

While it may seem just harmless making a “little adjustments” to your resume accomplishments, it can have lots of consequences on you, but what really happens when you exaggerate on your CV?

1. It is your shortest cut to getting yourself an interview

Most times when we advertise a vacancy for a job position, I always pray within me to see the right set of candidates without stress. In the pool of unqualified candidates, you see someone who’s CV is like a gold hidden among stones. Most times I leap for joy at such moment. I know he might be exaggerating, but how would I know?

“Only via an interview” – one thing most candidates always pray for.

Whatever happens during or after the interview is now a question of his ability to show what he can offer. But one thing has happened; the candidate has gotten a chance for an interview.

2. Expectations during interviews are heightened

I wouldn’t be so happy to come across your resume and don’t expect much from you. I once advertised the position of an IT Support officer. I saw the resume of a guy who claimed he had all the certifications present in the world. I was surprised when the technical team asked him some practical questions, he went on rambling.

I was ashamed, not for him but for myself that called him for an interview. I will still tell you how to create a CV that wouldn’t get you into this kind of position.

3. Gives you room to negotiate a higher salary

You should know that most firms can go a little bit above their salary scale just to attract a “bright” talent. It would be so unwise just to neglect someone who has lots of accomplishments on his resume because of a salary difference of 10k.

As long as your accomplishments are mind-blowing – whether true or false, you stand a chance to claim a high salary package.

But you should know that salary discussion comes only after you have been tested on all fronts, and have been certified qualified. I don’t know how you are going to do it, but trust me that great accomplishments attract great salary remunerations.

4. Job expectations heighten

A guy passed all the stages of our interview during a certain recruitment season, and we even went above our salary scale to hire him. We were so confident that we’ve found the right guy to replace another expert that left us and moved to a competitor.

I guess it was because we didn’t have qualified hands to access the guy when he was being interviewed. He excelled and answered some general questions we threw at him. He wowed the junior staff in the same department, and everyone liked him already at the interview hall. I felt so proud fishing out such talent, to the extent I got some recommendations from the MD on my ability to hunt talents.

It was exactly two months after he was hired that he was fired. He made a mess of his unit; he couldn’t perform basic functions that a network Engineer should do, junior colleagues complained about him not being able to do his job. I was shocked as to what happened.

I later got to discover that he was quite able to perform those basic functions, but it was too basic to earn such an amount in salaries. Much was given to him, and much more was expected. Unfortunately, he was gone already.

I understand that I only gave negative examples of those who failed after exaggerating on their resumes. I would also want you to understand that there are those who have succeeded in such exaggeration and have learnt even on the job.

I would leave you with these 3 key tips.

i. Exaggerate reasonably
ii. Write things you have basic knowledge of and can defend
iii. Don’t get intimidated when questions start coming left, right, and center during interviews. Human Resource managers also work based on perception. “He might be tensed” might be the phrase that would save you and get you a job.

Till we meet again, happy job hunting to all job seekers and God would give you all your desired jobs.

https://patrickokunima.com/what-really-happens-when-you-lie-on-your-cv/

12 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:51am On Nov 11, 2019
Free Cover Letter for the first 3 persons to order for a professional CV. Contact me through my signature.

5 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by James39: 7:21am On Nov 11, 2019
If you can lie on ur CV to get a job, Then you will have to lie at the interview and guess what. You will get the job because this HRs love lies.

Las las you won't last on the job because lies can't stand the test of time.

58 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by qanda: 7:31am On Nov 11, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by Coldie(m): 7:31am On Nov 11, 2019
H
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by bukkielee(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2019
Waw
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by helinues: 7:32am On Nov 11, 2019
If you are a politician, nothing will happen

3 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by satowind(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2019
If u get the job you go suffer, but is worth it

6 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by A305: 7:32am On Nov 11, 2019
So people like in CVs. Whoah, first time am having knowledge of this. See that CHEAP sienna down my SiGG
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by FlyingTOMATOE: 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
Saying you can't lie in an interview is like saying
As a sales agent, you can't lie to your customers... Who will patronise you??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by toprealman: 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
James39:
If you can lie on ur CV to get a job, Then you will have to lie at the interview and guess what. You will get the job because this HRs love lies.

Las las you won't last on the job because lies can't stand the test of time.
Unless you are not interested in the job. Go and learn as much as you can......ample resources abound online( Google, YouTube,coursera....etc)
The man from Daura lied on his CV, has he not lasted more than Tonto Dike's one time Mr X wey she no gree us rest back then?

10 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by stanliwise(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
As much as you can defend the lies to get the job, then it is just nothing but a lie.
After getting the job, then you can keep the lie on a low key.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by LOGOBELT: 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
You will eventually get Sacked soon

Meanwhile, is your Laptop faulty? Let's fix it for you. Do you need Laptop Chargers/Adapter or Cables? We sell. Check my signature for contact
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by BlackCrainte: 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Ask unapologetic419, He is very good at telling lies in everything.
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by Flexherbal(m): 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Noted.
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by DesChyko: 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Getting what you do not deserve through lies, however you choose to paint it, is dishonesty.
I wouldn't advise this. It's better to be sure-footed that you can't be caught out, than maintain an iota of doubt because you know what you did.angry
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by IvarTheBoneless: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
angry

Dont do outright lies e.g. Age or non-existent positions that are easily verifiable.

But I recommend "sensible" exaggerations. Most people do that
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by moscobabs(m): 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
I went for an Interview as an Accountant in sometimes around 2014, I had used my boss(who is a Chartered Accountant) format for my CV, I put "ACCA in View" when I didn't registered for ICAN yet, I added some managerial work to my Job descriptions just to look experienced to my interviewers.

I was the last candidate they called for the oral interview on that fateful evening in Doctor Brown around Ikosi,Ketu. I have been answering their questions well until one dark brother like this asked me my ICAN registration number,my eyes turn red and the fear set in into my heart , I started begging for ground to open and swallow me, I was embarrassed when I later come up that I actually planing to register for the next coming ICAN.

They adviced me to go back and edit my CV and I must not lie on my CV again if I'm ready to get a good job in future.

Don't lie if u can't defend it

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by BoboKush(m): 7:37am On Nov 11, 2019
Lemme goan lie more in my cv
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 11, 2019
There are things you can't lie about on your CV o.

Like your true qualifications.

If you're found out, even after 20 years of "meritorious service" they can sue you for every penny you collected as salary.
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by richard870(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2019
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?
What of those whose intelligence intimidates the HR guys?..... speaking from experience here
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by StarUp: 7:45am On Nov 11, 2019
Lie on your CV and sweat on the job...lobatan
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by livebyday(m): 7:46am On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
PatrickOkunima:

https://patrickokunima.com/what-really-happens-when-you-lie-on-your-cv/

[/s]

Trash

Nairaland is litered with trash content that gives wrong advise to job seekers

Just know the right person and no one will look at your CV

All these posts are just to take up space on the front page , but are entirely useless

1 Like

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by nairalee(m): 7:49am On Nov 11, 2019
you may have the burden to provide proof.

Example:
Me: I am an SSCE Cert holder
Recruiter: Where is your certificate
Me: Goan ask my former employer
Me: Goan ask the waec body
Me: Goan ask Cambridge
Me: I will provide affidavit
Me: This affidavit is a great achievement and a proof that I'm a man of integrity. Give me another chance

2 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by MidaserveNG: 7:51am On Nov 11, 2019
Spy, Wired or Wireless CCTV Cameras Systems?

Contact us today for installation n maintenance 08102754724

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by James39: 7:52am On Nov 11, 2019
toprealman:

Unless you are not interested in the job. Go and learn as much as you can......ample resources abound online( Google, YouTube,coursera....etc)
The man from Daura lied on his CV, has he not lasted more than Tonto Dike's one time Mr X wey she no gree us rest back then?
. True bro

But the man from daura never updated himself with the resources available so he had to lie **** if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by Gaspardd(m): 7:54am On Nov 11, 2019
I exaggerated on my CV for this current job tho. I dont kno if it was helpful but then it was cool seeing d man staring at my CV to see that i had 2yrs exp at UAE when ive never even been on a flight b4.
But then i have enough exp and studied enough to defend it tho. Thats cuz ive read, watched many videos and shit about the job specifications.
Now level don change and i give God d glory.

7 Likes

Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by toprealman: 7:59am On Nov 11, 2019
James39:
. True bro

But the man from daura never updated himself with the resources available so he had to lie **** if you know what I mean.
lol
Re: What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? by Angelawhite(m): 8:13am On Nov 11, 2019
livebyday:
[s][/s]

Trash

Nairaland is litered with trash content that gives wrong advise to job seekers

Just know the right person and no one will look at your CV

All these posts are just to take up space on the front page , but are entirely useless

Will you shut up? You think every job requires you to sit in front desk and be ticking registers ? Most jobs require experts. As a software Engineer, I understand why certain roles need to be filled with experienced candidates and not with some newbie whose uncle knows the MD.

Just know the right person indeed. That’s how my uncle hired a young doctor who just graduated because of a strong recommendation from a friend and the doctor almost killed a patient

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Opportunity - Workforce / Apply for Lasaco Assurance Plc Fresh Job Recruitment (6 Positions) / Is BOI Recruiting At The Moment??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.