Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,361 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Words To Avoid Using During An Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Words To Avoid Using During An Interview (23727 Views)

Words And Statements To Avoid Using On Your Social Media Profiles/pages / Any Review On Cflead. Got Msg From Them For An Interview On Monday. / Top 3 Reasons People Go Broke Before Month End - How To Avoid It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by postbox: 7:07am On Nov 11, 2019
The job market is very competitive and getting an interview is a chance to let an employer or HR manager know you’re the best person for the job. It’s all about communication skills at this point how well you express yourself, word choices and your ability to persuade an employer to give you the job. One of the best tactics is to be specific when you describe your work experience, skills, and accomplishments as well as avoiding certain words. Using these words that would be shared below can make or mar your chances of getting the job.

Amazing

Was your last job really amazing? Is your work experience amazing? How about your communication skills? What does amazing mean? Stupifying? Unreal beyond belief? If your last job was so “amazing,” why are you looking for another job? Is this one more “amazing?” Used once in the right context, the word isn’t bad. You can use it once and after the first one, it doesn’t really have much effect except being annoying.

Awesome

This word really doesn’t say much at all. It’s filler, overused and just sort of thrown out there. This said few of us can describe ourselves or our abilities as awesome. Your skills may be exceptional or superior, but awesome is a no-no.

Whatever

You may be tempted to use this word when answering  “…tell me about a time when…” questions. Used alone as a comment on a situation or as a response to someone comes across as lazy and rude.

Totally

The total of what? If you mean you agree, say that. It is used as an affirmation. Interviewer: “That project seems like it was very rewarding. You: “Totally!”  Or, intensity. You: “I was totally amazed at the awesome opportunity!” (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.) You can see what happens when you string them all together. A lot of nothing!

Great

This word is so overused and has lost its punch. It’s supposed to show a high level of something, but the word great is really lukewarm. With the wrong voice tone, it can be negative. On a scale of one to 10, great is around five or six. Be specific and find some other descriptive adjectives that show proper intensity and relation to the situation.

Can’t and don’t

Can’t and don’t are negative words and negativity has no place in an interview. Refrain from using phrases such as “I don’t like doing this, I can’t do this,” or “I don’t want to do this,”. You want to show an interviewer that you are open to taking on any role or task and that no job is too small for you.

Freaking or Fricking

We all know what you really want to say, and using these substitutes don’t lessen the effect of the word they represent. They are still rude, inappropriate, borderline vulgar and don’t have a place in an interview.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2019/11/11/you-should-totally-avoid-these-words-during-an-interview/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by bukkielee(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2019
Remove the nerves. Respond to questions like you are responding to a friend. Be truthful, that gives you more confidence.

27 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by chiefolododo(m): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2019
Ok
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by satowind(m): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2019
Outside whatever you can use other words,

2 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by BUSHHUNTER: 7:33am On Nov 11, 2019
The heading should be " Words not to use in interview if you don't know anybody"

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by timbuk2(m): 7:33am On Nov 11, 2019
Na connection sure pass...

4 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by TooNoisy(f): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
very soon, you will say we shouldnt even talk during interviews.

The only two I agree with are "whatever" and "freaking". As for the rest, they can be used depending on the context!

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by zincnike(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
Ok
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by bukkielee(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
I love this piece
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by ladilawal82(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2019
I concur
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by flexyrule(m): 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Xx
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Flexherbal(m): 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
I am sure, Bisi has noted, this.
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
just be you. don't cram job tips. u ll look like a fool

5 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by KayCee92(m): 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Better put :WORDS TO AVOID DURING AN INTERVIEW OR DON'T USE THESE WORDS DURING AN INTERVIEW. Just opened Nairaland after almost an hour on medium and the difference is just like US and Nigeria in terms of security grin grin. Please the mods should edit some of these articles before pasting. grin
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by stanliwise(m): 7:35am On Nov 11, 2019
AND MOSTLY, STOP FOOLISHLY AGREEING TO ALL THE BULLSHIT CONDITIONS COMPANY HR TELLS YOU.

THIS SHOWS YOU'RE JUST BEEN DESPERATE.

WORD: "I will adjust sir", "I will manage", "I can start today/immediately", "Anything I will collect".

USE YOUR HEAD.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Cutehector(m): 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
All these rules... Do this , do that.. Dont do this, dont do that...

Traaaaaaaaaaash. When the lord has signed your progess, nothing can stop you .

5 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by LOGOBELT: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Ok

Meanwhile, is your Laptop faulty? Let's fix it for you. Do you need Laptop Chargers/Adapter or Cables? We sell. Check my signature for contact
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by helinues: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Whatever

The Most annoying words
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by qanda: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by flexyrule(m): 7:37am On Nov 11, 2019
Whatever!
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by ednut1(m): 7:37am On Nov 11, 2019
You can use those words and still get the job. If you treat interview like a normal talk you will likely get the job. No one wants someone who has crammed lines and can't interact freely with the interviewer

7 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by ChaseVibes(m): 7:39am On Nov 11, 2019
Lol
Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Kingluqman(m): 7:40am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
You can use those words and still get the job. If you treat interview like a normal talk you will likely get the job. No one wants someone who has crammed lines and can't interact freely with the interviewer
E go better for you my brother.

1 Like

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by livebyday(m): 7:41am On Nov 11, 2019
[s]
postbox:
The job market is very competitive and getting an interview is a chance to let an employer or HR manager know you’re the best person for the job. It’s all about communication skills at this point how well you express yourself, word choices and your ability to persuade an employer to give you the job. One of the best tactics is to be specific when you describe your work experience, skills, and accomplishments as well as avoiding certain words. Using these words that would be shared below can make or mar your chances of getting the job.

Amazing

Was your last job really amazing? Is your work experience amazing? How about your communication skills? What does amazing mean? Stupifying? Unreal beyond belief? If your last job was so “amazing,” why are you looking for another job? Is this one more “amazing?” Used once in the right context, the word isn’t bad. You can use it once and after the first one, it doesn’t really have much effect except being annoying.

Awesome

This word really doesn’t say much at all. It’s filler, overused and just sort of thrown out there. This said few of us can describe ourselves or our abilities as awesome. Your skills may be exceptional or superior, but awesome is a no-no.

Whatever

You may be tempted to use this word when answering  “…tell me about a time when…” questions. Used alone as a comment on a situation or as a response to someone comes across as lazy and rude.

Totally

The total of what? If you mean you agree, say that. It is used as an affirmation. Interviewer: “That project seems like it was very rewarding. You: “Totally!”  Or, intensity. You: “I was totally amazed at the awesome opportunity!” (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.) You can see what happens when you string them all together. A lot of nothing!

Great

This word is so overused and has lost its punch. It’s supposed to show a high level of something, but the word great is really lukewarm. With the wrong voice tone, it can be negative. On a scale of one to 10, great is around five or six. Be specific and find some other descriptive adjectives that show proper intensity and relation to the situation.

Can’t and don’t

Can’t and don’t are negative words and negativity has no place in an interview. Refrain from using phrases such as “I don’t like doing this, I can’t do this,” or “I don’t want to do this,”. You want to show an interviewer that you are open to taking on any role or task and that no job is too small for you.

Freaking or Fricking

We all know what you really want to say, and using these substitutes don’t lessen the effect of the word they represent. They are still rude, inappropriate, borderline vulgar and don’t have a place in an interview.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2019/11/11/you-should-totally-avoid-these-words-during-an-interview/
[/s]

Trash

Know the right people. You will get the job even if you use pidgin in the interview
Infact you won't attend any serious Interview

Posts like this are of no use to any Nigerian job seeker
Just know the right person

Case closed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by IvarTheBoneless: 7:42am On Nov 11, 2019
grin

Note : I didn't want the job... My guardian forced me to the interview.

Boss : "Tell me what you got ?"

Me : " Your wife's p*ssy on my breath"

Boss : " No one has ever talked to me like that"

Me : "That's because their mouths were full with her box"

Boss : " You got guts... you are hired"

Me : " Shiit" undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by Emily22(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2019
BUSHHUNTER:
The heading should be " Words not to use in interview if you don't know anybody"

Lwkm oooo

2 Likes

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by herveze: 7:44am On Nov 11, 2019
Av u seen any stammerer who went to interview before and they employ him/her, what type of work do you think stammerer can do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words To Avoid Using During An Interview by WiztaylorDC(m): 7:45am On Nov 11, 2019
when you have connection, you don't need all this advice. If dem go employ you, nothing fit stop am , not even those words.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Reasons You’ll Never Earn More Money. / IGP Usman Appoints Inuwa As Force Secretary, Retains Mba, Owohunwa As PRO, PSO / What Dirty Job Pays The Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.