Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,151 members, 7,957,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:30 AM

Joomla! For Or Against - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla! For Or Against (1042 Views)

Big Companies Using Joomla For Their Websites / Joomla For Designing E Commerce Site Possible? / Joomla For Newbies! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joomla! For Or Against by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
I am very new to web design and programming. I started with Dreamweaver and not long after I discovered Joomla! a free CMS. It seems that my prayers are

answered, because I never needed to write a single code, just by using extensions I can do many things. In just two days, I have completed a website on my

local machine using Joomla! and I am ready to launch it.

Judging from the ease of development, I want to ask my senior web designers/programmers what the side effects are when using this software.

Thanks, any comment (for or against) is welcomed.
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by Mobinga: 11:22pm On Nov 16, 2010
Lazy
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 16, 2010
That is exactly my point. What do you suggest I do to be strong? But I cannot reinvent the "wheel", I just make it fit.
Thanks
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by yawatide(f): 11:17am On Nov 17, 2010
Depends on what the site is for:

CMS stands for Content Management System. I take those words literally. In other words, I use it for sites where the owner has no coding background and intends to update the site on his/her own on a regular/frequent basis (think newspaper website). Note also that I said "where the owner" and not "where I". In other words, it is for the owner. Joomla as you may have come to discover, has a low learning curve and hence is suitable for such people.

If you want to code a 5-page regular website, I would say it is overkill - time to install, set up and customize in this case doesn't justify the effort.

So again, it depends.
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by joomlaman(m): 1:25pm On Nov 17, 2010
Joomla! is coooooool. Jion the Joomla community.
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by lojik(m): 8:35pm On Nov 18, 2010
I use joomla in situations where the user may or may not need to update site contents himself. My use of joomla goes beyond just its content management but its extensibility.

Take for instance, a client may want a bulk sms site with a forum and a blog integrated. He may also want a polling/voting functionality with a flash photo gallery, video gallery and newsletter capabilites. If i use joomla, i would only need to code a bulk sms component and download free joomla extensions to cater for all the rest. This would only take a short time. But imagine if i were to code all those things from scratch?

The use joomla depends on the nature of the job you are doing and it does not make u a non professional. Especially if u can extend it by coding modules, components and plugin.

I did d site below with joomla and coded an SMS Reseller component to extend its functionality. Would u say i'm lazy?
www.estoresms.com
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by webbrain07: 12:05am On Nov 21, 2010
I am a professional website designer. I use joomla so you cant be against joomla because it does more than what you can use it for, visit www.webbrainconsults.com
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 21, 2010
So I guess, like the hobbyist programmer that I am grin, that I am on the right track, although I seriously feel that I should learn the actual coding. I am currently doing some php. Thanks all my programming bros and sists for your replies, One more thing, how do I launch a Joomla! site that is already design in my hard disk? Do I just ftp the files to the web host server or what?
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by webbrain07: 6:58pm On Nov 22, 2010
this is for all who have a reseller right to any product,or do you have your own products and services to advertise then grab this new generated numbers, No more one for one naira, Am giving this offer to first twenty people. Get 35,000 numbers gsm numbers+50,000 valid emails+ mass mailing software all for #3,000.www.webbrainconsults.com,08031977935
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by healthy: 11:16pm On Nov 26, 2010
Joomla is cool if you can master it. Join the Joomla Online Community
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by webbrain07: 3:27pm On Nov 28, 2010
Ok, to launch a joomal already designed site. it can be done in a number of ways, but I will show you the simplest. log into your cpanel, then click on fantastico, then click on joomla 1.5 on the left part of your screen, then click on new installation, then read and fill the blank spaces accordingly. After doing that, go on your cpanel again click on phpmyadmin, then on your left hand side of your screen look carefully you will see the name of the joomla your just installed click on it, then it will display a page click on sql, you are almost done, after clicking on sql then copy the sql codes on your local host in there, after doing that click on go, automatically your site will be up, then log into your administrators end and install all the extension you used in your design online. you are done, www.webbrainconsults.com call our hotline 08031977935 for more details,
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by webbrain07: 3:29pm On Nov 28, 2010
Become a Top Notch Web Development Consultant!
Statistics and Experience has revealed that Web Development Consulting (WDC) is the easiest and most Guaranteed Internet Business Model, with Millions of contracts worth Billions of naira online and offline waiting to be awarded to competent web developers. join in our forth coming practical seminar coming 16-18 of dec in lagos, visit www.webimania.com for details or this week sde.
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by peddylinko(m): 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2010
Working on my own cms

Coming soon
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by healthy: 4:49pm On Nov 28, 2010
nice one!
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by lactemps(m): 5:21pm On Jan 01, 2011
Nice 2
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by healthy: 4:52pm On Jan 03, 2011
Still waiting
Re: Joomla! For Or Against by Franzeekool: 1:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
when you see something good do appreciate. Joomla is good visit www.elgibborsms.com tosee what joomla can do with bulksms component

(1) (Reply)

Connection String To The Server In Php / How To Delete A Group On Facebook / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.