Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) (818 Views)

1999 Siena Xle Going For Cheap@800k / How To Successfully Understand A Used Car Dealer In A Used Car Auction! / You Need A Car?what Brand Do You Need?You Need Help?Call today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
Hello readers.

I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Accord (infamously known as EOD). This would be my very first car, (I drove my mother's old nissan only on the weekends a few years ago, but since then have only driven cars belonging to other people here or there.)

It cost about N1,500,000 (in Abuja) and came with about 185,000 on the mileometer (one might say it's just started its milage life, others might say it's too high, what say you? Shall I make some replacements being as its so high?). I should probably state at this point that I'm a relatively new driver (on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd consider myself with all honesty about 3.5.), so after making the purchase, and getting the customs duty, and so on, I drove it around the city (Abuja) for a bit, then went home, it felt comfortable, no problems. The next day (today), I went for a drive, averaging at about 80 k/mph to 100 k/mph where roads would allow, and less, where necessary or obvious, I noticed that it became hard to control, and very shaky when driving considerably fast. Also after a while the engine began to smell a little off, it reminded me of a scenario where my mother's BMW 3 series had overheating issues, but no smoke/steam came out of it. I didn't know what to do so I just drove it home :p

At this point I haven't "serviced" the car, (nor even really know what "servicing" means). Could someone give me advice on how to improve longevity of my car, performance, and perhaps driving better?

I'd just like general tips, thanks :p
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 1:10am On Nov 17, 2010
sorry boss you just bought a dead car for 1.5 million

millage is almost 200k miles

with no service history

well if you bought it from dealership you might want to take it bck and if its private ask the person when last they service the car or if there is any problem with the car that you should know.

the hard to control bit might be due to wheel balancing or alignment but then i may be wrong

the smelly bit might be head gasket but then again i may be wrong
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:04am On Nov 17, 2010
Lol, a dead car? Why? Because of the mileage? I got it from a dealership.
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 2:06am On Nov 17, 2010
yeaaa

dat car has been to heaven and back

the millage is too high

but i guess you guys don look at dat in naija
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:15am On Nov 17, 2010
Well mileage is a prime concern everywhere, but i'd rather buy a car with relatively high mileage which has a decent track record, that has been well maintained, as opposed to a car with low mileage which has been ill-maintained, and through many accidents, tbh.

Since the mileage is this high, what are my options ? smiley
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 2:18am On Nov 17, 2010
do you have the service history of the car?
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:25am On Nov 17, 2010
Nope. I can ask for a service history though I guess?
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 2:29am On Nov 17, 2010
idk:

Well mileage is a prime concern everywhere, but i'd rather buy a car with relatively high mileage which has a decent track record, that has been well maintained, as opposed to a car with low mileage which has been ill-maintained, and through many accidents, tbh.

Since the mileage is this high, what are my options ? smiley

then you cant prove this if you don't have service history

if the dealership has it they would have given it to you at the time of purchase
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:30am On Nov 17, 2010
Urm, I guess I can check the car in the morning if it's along with it. Otherwise, I'll call up the dude that helped me with the sale.

At any rate, a half decent mechanic should be able to properly diagnose the current condition of the car?
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 2:31am On Nov 17, 2010
yea sure

but make sure you take it to Honda dealership
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:37am On Nov 17, 2010
So that they can charge me 100k for an audit :p
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by r231(m): 2:39am On Nov 17, 2010
^^^^hehehehehe

if you want to enjoy the car, you have to take it to a proper mech dat knws what they r doing
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 2:52am On Nov 17, 2010
How much would a "good mechanic" set me back, ballpark?
Re: Got A Fairly Used Car : What To Do Now? (siena, Hope You Look In On This :p) by idk: 4:35am On Nov 17, 2010
For a new car, in a scenario such as this.

(1) (Reply)

1997 Nissan Maxima / 2002 Honda Accord 1one Door (naija Used) Very Neat And Clean As New / Ship Any Car Of Your Choice From Usa. (half Price Upfront)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.