Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,880 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

White American Girl Speaking Yoruba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba (14150 Views)

American Girl That Speaks Yoruba Fluently / ‘I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.’ – Crystal Owonubi / The Finest African American Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by NubianQ(f): 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2010
Fstranger sorry nah. U knw u are d don dada. Ok make una no vex ok. My user name is not worth losing. So u hv won oooo. Pls now just leave me alone. Ok no vex ooooooo! No vex abeg. You re d winner! U hv finally conquered me! Now go rest, U and ragdollz e don do! Eh. Kpele
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by NubianQ(f): 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2010
Moderator pls see I hv made peace I don't want to be banned for the 20th time. So u see I am a peaceful person, Well, Back to other topics!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2010
NubianQ:

RagDollz e don do na! Ok no vex you don win. I no wan ban abeg. No vex eh! Cool down babes! Haba its all internet fun! Oya kpele my dear! Sorry! Infact d yabbing you just gave me made me realise dat we need to stop all dis abeg . Shei u hear? Ok u have won ok! U have won d battle! Infact u re the ultimate! Don't worry e don do abeg! I love dis my user name too much to sacrifice it for a few minutes of palava. I think we shld all call it a day! Viva! We have been defeated by Ragdollz oh! we hv cleaned our gunz and put it in the shop! Our mechanics will look after it eh! Abeg make una come help me beg ragdollz oh! Big hugs hunny, take care , Its just d internet! Don't take it too seriously. We all come on here to have a laugh mate.

Big WAOH!!!! Well, well, well! I am very impressed grin. Anyway people that know me, will tell you I thrive on peace smiley. Usually it takes less than 24 hours for me to forget what annoyed me the day before, so no hard feelings from my own angle ooh. Win which battle cheesy? It was never about winning ok, just making a point. Well, you two should keep those guns in the shop OK, you won't be needing it where I'm concerned wink.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by NubianQ(f): 9:34pm On Nov 19, 2010
Point taken! U got d last word in. Fair enuff. Atleast it has ended. Take care n bye.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 19, 2010
WOW, page 2, just incredible
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 12:41am On Nov 20, 2010
Another example of Africans worshipping whites. If I as a black jamaican woman was interested in learning to speak it, you'd all laugh me to shame but when a whitey does it the world stops and pays attention?

*makes a long hissing sound and walks out.*
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by fstranger: 12:48am On Nov 20, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

Another example of Africans worshipping whites. If I as a black jamaican woman was interested in learning to speak it, you'd all laugh me to shame but when a whitey does it the world stops and pays attention?

It is the same in Jamaica! White people are worshipped everywhere because the RUN this WORLD.  They are the closest thingy to God, in the eyes of many a Nigerian.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 1:00am On Nov 20, 2010
^HA! They go to Jamaica sporting red, gold and green bands on their hands. The only Yardies who worship them are the half breed, skin bleachers and retards all of which only represent 1 percent of the total population. Do not get it twisted. We are a pro Pan-African island and like I said when we reach out to Africa we get mocked.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 1:13am On Nov 20, 2010
fstranger:

It is the same in Jamaica! White people are worshipped everywhere because the RUN this WORLD.  They are the closest thingy to God, in the eyes of many a Nigerian.

Lol, fstranger, no need to strain yourself explaining the obvious, we all know an attention-seeker when we see one. We have just finished banking a raging fire of words, someone wants to cause another misunderstanding tongue. I think my fingers are itching to that famous "report" button down there.

******Long hissssss*******

Even the OP made it clear that he just wanted Nigerians to be proud of their culture, whether they are at home or in diaspora, and that's why he put the post up, not to actually worship the white girl. As for me, I was sooo impressed for my own personal reasons: I studied Yoruba is secondary school, it was flipping hard to read and write it, it was the only subject I got less than an A or B in, in fact I almost failed it in SSCE if not for some kind of divine intervention grin. So when I saw that white student girl speaking it so well, I doffed my hat!! Gosh, why the heck will I be impressed if a Jamaican spoke Yoruba grin??

OK, seriously, maybe I'd be a "little" impressed. But no one would ever, ever, laugh at any black jamaican woman wanting to learn Yoruba, why would we?? Like I said, someone's just seeking attention, spoiling for a fight, and being a troublemaker. Let he/she walk out and stay out!!Yuck!!

millco88:

For those in Nigeria and abroad that are ashamed of their heritage, here's a video of an oyinbo from America, embracing the Yoruba culture. She sure put alot of half of nairalanders to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsltcnHxzfI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLzWfxBRa8Q&feature=related
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by tpia5: 5:23am On Nov 20, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

i doubt it's like that.

the girl already speaks the language although she needs to work on intonation.

if you posted a video of yourself speaking yoruba [having learned it somewhere], i'm sure people would be just as impressed as they are with this white girl.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 11:11am On Nov 20, 2010
Nice one, tpia@. I don't understand why pple struggle to create discord where obviously there's none? I mean those who just bump into a thread and act rude? I wonder, if this was real life, is that how u walk into a room of strangers, see what u don't like, then say something rude and uncalled for, then hiss and walk out?? Of course u can never! So why act that way here? Yeah yeah, folks will say, this is the web, do as you like. Shame!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by tpia5: 11:32pm On Nov 20, 2010
^^dont mind all these people disturbing the peace. cheesy

i used to be like that too when i was younger but now the only thing that could make me go haywire is if i've downed three bottles of johnny walker.

j/k oh before i get jumped.

seriously however, that's just nl.

can someone plz clean up the thread if possible?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by fstranger: 11:35pm On Nov 20, 2010
^^^ how old are you tpia@?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 12:08am On Nov 21, 2010
Look, I can learn Yoruba as well!

Oh, my skin is not white, never mind.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 12:10am On Nov 21, 2010
ezeagu:

EXACTLY!!!

LOL grin.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by tpia5: 12:16am On Nov 21, 2010
ezeagu:

bleaching cream can take care of that.

check back as soon as you're ready and white enough.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 12:27am On Nov 21, 2010
tpia@:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nice, nice. We are all getting very good at this sarcasm of a thing grin. I do hope he doesn't take you seriously though, because no amount of bleaching will ever make him white. I mean, ask MICHAEL JACKSON(RIP) grin grin grin grin grin grin!!!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 12:48am On Nov 21, 2010
tpia@:

Hmm, can you recommend me some, you seem to know a lot about it.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by vivaladiva(f): 12:54am On Nov 21, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ****** cough cough cough cough******
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by fstranger: 1:01am On Nov 21, 2010
ezeagu:

She is an EXPAT expert!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by tpia5: 1:08am On Nov 21, 2010
ezeagu:

yes i do.

try tura.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 1:49am On Nov 21, 2010
tpia@:

yes i do.

try tura.

Really? Cos I need to tone up a bit myself. Maybe if I "whiten" up, it will help me with my Yoruba lessons. You know these white pple know how to learn Yoruba well grin.

(ok, ok, I know that was dry, but hey, it's a slow night, I need to keep myself awake grin)
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 1:51am On Nov 21, 2010
ragdollz:

Really? Cos I need to tone up a bit myself. Maybe if I "whiten" up, it will help me with my Yoruba lessons. You know these white pple know how to learn Yoruba well grin.

(ok, ok, I know that was dry, but hey, it's a slow night, I need to keep myself awake grin)

Are you Yoruba?

@all

Very sad.

Because the lady is not black, we should hiss and walk away?

Nobody on this thread showed any sign of being wowed by the fact that the lady is white. . .
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 1:58am On Nov 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Are you Yoruba?

@all

Very sad.

Because the lady is not black, we should hiss and walk away?

Nobody on this thread showed any sign of being wowed by the fact that the lady is white. . .

Lol, am I Yoruba? Sort of grin.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 1:59am On Nov 21, 2010
ragdollz:

Lol, am I Yoruba? Sort of grin.

From which side?

I asked because you said you were taking Yoruba lesson wink
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 2:09am On Nov 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

From which side?

I asked because you said you were taking Yoruba lesson wink

Oh, that!! I was just being sarcastic, y'know, joking. Of course I'm not taking Yoruba lessons. For wetin shocked grin. Even if they paid me a million pounds, I no go do grin. That's why I respect folks who do (black or white grin). I was just kidding that, maybe if I was white, I could perhaps be able to learn it well since these white people know how to "learn well well" grin. A little sarcasm for the folks who think we worship whites.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 21, 2010
ragdollz:

Oh, that!! I was just being sarcastic, y'know, joking. Of course I'm not taking Yoruba lessons. For wetin shocked grin. Even if they paid me a million pounds, I no go do grin. That's why I respect folks who do (black or white grin). I was just kidding that, maybe if I was white, I could perhaps be able to learn it well since these white people know how to "learn well well" grin. A little sarcasm for the folks who this we worship whites.
Ok, but which side of Yorubaland are you from?
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 2:12am On Nov 21, 2010
Lagos (if one can still honestly call that a "Yoruba" state of origin tongue) Lol.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 2:17am On Nov 21, 2010
^^^ oh okay wink
Lol to be honest, anytime someone says Lagos, I dont think Yoruba.
It's like a black person telling me they're from Maryland compared to one from Jamaica or Ghana.
It's like, uhmm okay, you're not really Yoruba lol. grin jk jk
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 2:45am On Nov 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

^^^ oh okay wink
Lol to be honest, anytime someone says Lagos, I dont think Yoruba.
It's like a black person telling me they're from Maryland compared to one from Jamaica or Ghana.
It's like, uhmm okay, you're not really Yoruba lol. grin jk jk

Yeah, being a "Lagosian" has its downsides grin. Apart from the "anglicized" surname, there's not much else going for it grin.
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by Nobody: 3:51am On Nov 21, 2010
@Tpia shut up lol  grin If I tried to speak Yoruba tell me you wouldn't laugh at me, be honest lol. My point exactly. I am not offended by the posts though. I was actually bulljiving myself (well kind of) so its no biggie. But I know you would laugh. I can see it now.

There is truth to what I said but it came off harsh, that was after my battle with another member who accused me of being anti-Naija so I was pretty pissed by the time I came on here.

*Ignores Ragdoll*

ragdollz:

Lol, fstranger, no need to strain yourself explaining the obvious, we all know an attention-seeker when we see one. We have just finished banking a raging fire of words, someone wants to cause another misunderstanding tongue. I think my fingers are itching to that famous "report" button down there.

******Long hissssss*******

Even the OP made it clear that he just wanted Nigerians to be proud of their culture, whether they are at home or in diaspora, and that's why he put the post up, not to actually worship the white girl. As for me, I was sooo impressed for my own personal reasons: I studied Yoruba is secondary school, it was flipping hard to read and write it, it was the only subject I got less than an A or B in, in fact I almost failed it in SSCE if not for some kind of divine intervention grin. So when I saw that white student girl speaking it so well, I doffed my hat!! Gosh, why the heck will I be impressed if a Jamaican spoke Yoruba grin??

OK, seriously, maybe I'd be a "little" impressed. But no one would ever, ever, laugh at any black jamaican woman wanting to learn Yoruba, why would we?? Like I said, someone's just seeking attention, spoiling for a fight, and being a troublemaker. Let he/she walk out and stay out!!Yuck!!
Re: White American Girl Speaking Yoruba by ragdollz: 4:05am On Nov 21, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

@Tpia shut up lol  grin If I tried to speak Yoruba tell me you wouldn't laugh at me, be honest lol. My point exactly. I am not offended by the posts though. I was actually bulljiving myself (well kind of) so its no biggie. But I know you would laugh. I can see it now.

*Ignores Ragdoll*

You're lucky you changed your reply. I thought you said I had answered your "question" with those two phrases you bolded in my post. Does being "impressed" by something mean you worship it? I'm impressed by say, Tuface's talent, does that mean I worship him? Go away jo! We're tired of you Jamaicans and your appalling inferiority complex of the whites. Your first post has shown how much it bites you that they seem superior in our eyes than you do. You want us to respect/value you? Then clean up your act!

PS - and yes, you will do well to "ignore" me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names / BBC Apologizes To Emir Sanusi Over False Publication Of Financial Recklessness / Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.