Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity (3332 Views)

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by JaaizTech: 2:53pm On Nov 18, 2010
I am considering undertaking an MBA program in a UK university, my preferred method is Distance Learning because of personal constraints. I plan investing a large chunk of my savings, and really want to get value for my money. I need advice (from guys with first hand experience or information) on what Business school offers the best programs at the most affordable price.

I am very much interested in schools whose graduates enjoy much patronage from international organisations.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by omojand: 5:00pm On Nov 18, 2010
I don't think LBS offers a distance learning module, so that might rule them out for you. Besides, you may find the cost too prohibitive (given your cost sensitivity). I would suggest you research the following institutions -

- Imperial, Judge (Cambridge), SAID (Oxford), Warrwick, Cranfield. These are all top UK institutions with strong international brands.

I'm a graduate of the executive MBA programme from Imperial Business School. Though I held a management position prior to embarking on the programme, the knowledge/qualification helped transition me into a high-visibility, front-offfice role within the same global organization. Tuition fees was approx £40.000. I know a distance-learning offering exists, but don't have cost information at hand. You can find all relevant information on the websites of the respective institutions listed.

Goodluck.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by JaaizTech: 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
omojand:

I don't think LBS offers a distance learning module, so that might rule them out for you. Besides, you may find the cost too prohibitive (given your cost sensitivity). I would suggest you research the following institutions -

- Imperial, Judge (Cambridge), SAID (Oxford), Warrwick, Cranfield. These are all top UK institutions with strong international brands.

I'm a graduate of the executive MBA programme from Imperial Business School. Though I held a management position prior to embarking on the programme, the knowledge/qualification helped transition me into a high-visibility, front-offfice role within the same global organization. Tuition fees was approx £40.000. I know a distance-learning offering exists, but don't have cost information at hand. You can find all relevant information on the websites of the respective institutions listed.

Goodluck.
Thanks for all the info. I have checked Imperial and even that cost is prohibitive for me. I have been looking up Edinburgh Business school, but I do not have enough information as to the value of their certificate internationally. If you know anything about Edinburgh Business School, pls let me know.

Secondly, there is this fuss about distance learning, (the lack of face to face contact and the absence of an avenue to make contacts with important fellow students across the globe); how serious is this factor from your own perspective considering that my aim is to put myself in a better position in the career world.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by AjanleKoko: 10:02pm On Nov 18, 2010
JaaizTech:

Thanks for all the info. I have checked Imperial and even that cost is prohibitive for me. I have been looking up Edinburgh Business school, but I do not have enough information as to the value of their certificate internationally. If you know anything about Edinburgh Business School, pls let me know.

Secondly, there is this fuss about distance learning, (the lack of face to face contact and the absence of an avenue to make contacts with important fellow students across the globe); how serious is this factor from your own perspective considering that my aim is to put myself in a better position in the career world.

Distance learning programs are increasingly becoming popular. Most of them involve some annual face time (focus groups, workshops, etc), which you have to go on campus to participate in once a year. I think distance learning is fine, considering that you want to keep your job. They won't give you an inferior certificate anyway.
I did a distance learning program at RGU (Msc Operations & Services Management) some years, but dropped out after the PG diploma. At that time their MBA wasn't accredited by the AMBA, but it is now. Warwick, Manchester, Durham, and Strathclyde all offer AMBA-accredited distance learning programs, and they're probably 40-50% the cost of the Tanaka program (at Imperial). You should check at those schools, or even RGU (Aberdeen Business School) which is quite competitive for pricing. Also Leicester.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by JaaizTech: 10:58am On Nov 20, 2010
Thanks man, will look them up
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by Katsumoto: 8:57pm On Nov 20, 2010
JaaizTech:

I am considering undertaking an MBA program in a UK university, my preferred method is Distance Learning because of personal constraints. I plan investing a large chunk of my savings, and really want to get value for my money. I need advice (from guys with first hand experience or information) on what Business school offers the best programs at the most affordable price.

I am very much interested in schools whose graduates enjoy much patronage from international organisations.

If your objective is to move within the same organisation, then a distance learning programme may be ok. However, if your objective is to find a position internationally, then DL may not be suitable. I don't know much about criteria for recruitment in Nigeria but i know that a lot of employers in the West place emphasis on interaction which is a crucial aspect of an MBA. This is further buttressed by the class profiles of the two programmes.

The top business schools mostly use the case study method for class discussions which is very limited in DL and online programs. Outside the classroom, MBA tutors expect you to spend time studying and completing assignments similar to DL and online programs. What i am trying to say is that in DL and online programs, you spend an awful amount of time doing self-study but little interaction while you will be expected to spend the same amount of time doing self-study in classroom programs but with the added advantage of significant interaction.

Something else that is often over-looked by prospective students. Some MBA graduates find employment through people they were on the same program with. Classroom programs also provide a network that you can rely on for the rest of your professional life depending on how well you can network.

Omojand listed some of the best schools in the UK. There is a correlation between fees, prestige of school, and employability. The more prestigious and expensive a school is, the bigger the alumni network and the better your chances of employment.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by mbulela: 9:39am On Nov 22, 2010
i will stick to the facts you have raised in your post, so as not to reopen popular arguments on this board.
If you want to do a DL program in the UK, i would recommend MBS (Manchester Business School).
a bit more expensive than most DL programs but well worth the price.
However, you made no mention of the fees you consider affordable?
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by AjanleKoko: 9:53am On Nov 22, 2010
mbulela:

i will stick to the facts you have raised in your post, so as not to reopen popular arguments on this board.
If you want to do a DL program in the UK, i would recommend MBS (Manchester Business School).
a bit more expensive than most DL programs but well worth the price.
However, you made no mention of the fees you consider affordable?

Seconded. MBS at a time was rated I think 4th in the UK. It's a good school.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by mbulela: 3:15pm On Nov 22, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Seconded. MBS at a time was rated I think 4th in the UK. It's a good school.
chairman, good day, i beg check your inbox.
cheers,
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by byronova: 10:05am On Apr 23, 2011
Hello friends,

what about CEIBS? they now have an EMBA programme running in Accra, Ghana. I'm considering enrollong for their 2012 session.

any advice would be very welcome.

thank you.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by Laajman(m): 2:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
Speaking of external programmes, I think the University of London (external programme) has a solid track record in this space.
They've been doing this for decades, and I think their fees should be within your strike zone too.
You should check them out.
Re: Studying For Mba In Uk Advice Needed? Best School, Best Opportunity by babaijesha: 8:06pm On Jun 20, 2011
JaaizTech:

Hi Jaiz Cant agree much with you, EBS is flexible and affordable. I am just trying to sign up for their exemption in MSc Fin Mgt, cant afford all the big school here too, Pls you can go to their student distance learning forum to ask your questions, we have students frm diff countries , i think you can also get responses from some profs their too , this is the site add. http://sites.google.com/site/ebswatercooler/,

(1) (Reply)

Banks Should Run Shifts / The Nigerian Police Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form / Procurement Service Advisor Test Of Exxonmobil. Any News?:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.