Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers (9477 Views)

Land Grabbers Invade Building Site In Ogun, Snatch N500,000, From A Lady / Land Grabbers (Omo Onile) Storm Idimu, Lagos (Pictures) / How The 3 Storey Building Collapsed In Ibadan — Construction Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Nobody: 12:26am On Nov 16, 2019
The allegations of abuse of office and gross violation of rule of law which Lagos residents have been making against Lagos Task Force were reportedly displayed again on Wednesday when the operatives of the agency invaded Ogudu GRA and allegedly apprehended legitimate 19 construction workers on site.

The operatives of the Task Force from Oshodi Division which was led by one Arole Owolabi allegedly came in a commando style which arose suspicion among the teeming residents.

The advocate also gathered that a Lagos State High Court had already issued an order permitting construction work to continue on the site before the invasion of the land by the Task Force.

After the arrest, the Task Force officials hurriedly arraigned the construction workers in a mobile court as land grabbers who were caught while trying to possess the lands in Ogudu GRA by force.

This development has now set tongues wagging by members of the public on why a state agency like Lagos Task Force which was set up by the instrument of law to disregard a valid court judgement with such degree of impunity.

Those who witnessed the scenario and those who are aware of the development from outset while speaking to TheAdvocate expressed concern on how Mr Arole-led officials suspiciously acted on the matter, saying that the manner speaks volumes about the integrity of the officials a far as the issue of the land is concerned.

Speaking to our correspondent, a notable resident of the area who craved ananomity said he was seriously amazed when he learnt that the construction workers had been nabbed and arraigned for land grabbing

“I was seriously taken aback when I learnt that the innocent boys who were working to earn their daily bread have been accused of land grabbing and have been arraigned at a mobile court. I was not at around when the incident occurred. I did not believe it until I read it on Punch newspaper myself. I am highly shocked because I know about six of the arrested workers personally. I had seen them working on two other sites before I saw them in this very site in Ogudu. In fact, two of them had even worked on site of a friend of mine in Ikeja. So, I greatly suspect foul play in this matter. I call on appropriate authorities as a matter of urgency to investigate Mr Arole and other officials because this is highly suspicious.” he lamented.

Another resident of the area who identified himself as Diran Olowu, while speaking also said that he was startled when he learnt that the task force men had arraigned the construction workers as land grabbers.

“I was greatly amazed because some of the arrested boys are well known construction workers on sites. The activity of the task force men on this matter should be subjected to intensive scrutiny because, I am also aware that there is a valid court order permitting construction work on the site. Is task force not aware of the court order before carrying out this ridiculous operation? Did they carry out any investigation at all? because official procedure demands that thorough investigation must be carried out before any security outfit carries out any operation against citizens.

“Without any shadow of doubt, it is crystal clear to all of us that the task force really goofed on this matter, and this exposes series of allegations on violation of human right that people have been making against then,” Olowu said.

It was also gathered that counsel to the plaintiff, Barrister Ayorinde (SAN) had written a letter to the Lagos Attorney General, AG in which the Chairman, Lagos Special Task Force on Land Grabbers was copied. The letter reminded the AG of the court order delivered by Hon Justice M.O Emeya of the Lagos High Court which recognises and permits construction workers to be working on the site. The letter also states that the people that were arrested on site were legitimate and well known construction labourers who have nothing to do with land grabbing they were accused of by the Task Force.

When our correspondent contacted the leader of the operation, Mr. Arole Owolabi, he quickly gave the phone to one Mrs Bukola Bakare who identified herself as the Public Relations Officer of Task Force on Land Grabbing. Mrs Bakare defended the actions of the force, saying that they had written three letters to the people claiming ownership of the land; and also, three inscriptions on the fence of the site, but the people did not show up.

When asked if they are aware that there is a valid court order from Lagos State High Court, permitting construction work on the site before they stormed the site and arrested people on the site, she said they were not aware.

In her words: “There is no how we will be aware of any court order when the people involved did not show up when we invited them.

“As regards the people arrested on site, when we get to any land mired in land tussle or land grabbing, we arrest all the people on site, that has been our norm,” she added.

The official however admitted that they had received the letter written by Barrister Ayorinde (SAN). She said they received it on Thursday evening, adding that they would act on it at the appropriate time.

Another mind-blowing allegation that played out in this scenario is the issue of credibility of the supposed complainant. Some stakeholders who spoke to our correspondent stated that the name of the person claiming the complainant is not the one on the Certificate of Occupancy, C of O.

One major stakeholder who also doesn’t want his name to be mentioned for security purpose cast aspersion on the task force due to the way they went about the whole issue, adding that they may be dancing to the tune of a particular element.

Speaking, he said: This is the most ridiculous operation I have ever seen from a security outfit. There is principle of investigation before making arrest and prosecuting the suspects. So, it is very bizarre to hear that a well known organization like Lagos Task Force was not aware of a court order on a land in an eyebrow area like Ogudu GRA. That’s why I don’t believe them. After arresting the “land grabbers’ they saw on site, did they embark on any investigation about them as the principle demands? Why did they arraign them hurriedly? That’s why the role played by the Task Force on this matter must be investigated, we won’t allow it to be swept under the carpet.”

The activities of Lagos State Task Force over the years have attracted horde of criticisms to the extent that the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) in May this year threatened to embark on mass action against the Lagos State Government over the alleged brutality and illegal activities of the force.

Speaking through the group, the coordinator, Comrade Titilayo Odubanjo at a press conference in Lagos said there is urgent need for Lagos Sate Government to regulate and check the excesses of the taskforce.

She said: We have been receiving petitions upon petitions on the activities of the Lagos State Government taskforce from members of the public.

“We are interested in furthering the course of rule of law in Lagos which the government has vowed to uphold and it is in pursuant to this that we call this conference to look into the activities of Lagos State taskforce which similarly amount to abuse of office and violation of the hallowed principles of rule of law”.

http://www.theadvocate.ng/19-persons-arrested-as-alleged-land-grabbers-deny-story-want-coordinator-sacked/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by wavylevel: 7:28am On Nov 16, 2019
Why?
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by verygudbadguy(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2019
Audio land grabbers.

They better release those guys sharply. Like say them no fit differentiate thugs from legitimate hustlers

3 Likes

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by nurex01(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2019
Confused story
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by mayskit4luv(m): 7:29am On Nov 16, 2019
angry
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by LOGOBELT: 7:29am On Nov 16, 2019
Omo see gbege ooo

Meanwhile, HP Wireless 2630 4-in-1 Printer is available for sales @ 10k, working perfectly, check my signature for contact.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by BUSHHUNTER: 7:29am On Nov 16, 2019
Believe me they are land grabbers but someone has made a call.

2 Likes

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Cutefergieee: 7:29am On Nov 16, 2019
Ok
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by ForeThinker: 7:30am On Nov 16, 2019
Lol ... naxxo
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by StarUp: 7:30am On Nov 16, 2019
Lagos & Land grabbers wahala are like...

1 Like

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by nuhu2018(m): 7:31am On Nov 16, 2019
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by masciv: 7:31am On Nov 16, 2019
Lagos State Task Force... It depends on the division or department or unit. Some units are just legalized thugs.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by YorubaAmaka(m): 7:31am On Nov 16, 2019
No problem lipsrsealed
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by fatymore(f): 7:33am On Nov 16, 2019
No be today fowl dey open yansh....

What they know best is to extort the masses especially illiterates.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by wisdomchukus199(m): 7:33am On Nov 16, 2019
ajibola1979:
The allegations of abuse of office and gross violation of rule of law which Lagos residents have been making against Lagos Task Force were reportedly displayed again on Wednesday when the operatives of the agency invaded Ogudu GRA and allegedly apprehended legitimate 19 construction workers on site.

The operatives of the Task Force from Oshodi Division which was led by one Arole Owolabi allegedly came in a commando style which arose suspicion among the teeming residents.

The advocate also gathered that a Lagos State High Court had already issued an order permitting construction work to continue on the site before the invasion of the land by the Task Force.

After the arrest, the Task Force officials hurriedly arraigned the construction workers in a mobile court as land grabbers who were caught while trying to possess the lands in Ogudu GRA by force.

This development has now set tongues wagging by members of the public on why a state agency like Lagos Task Force which was set up by the instrument of law to disregard a valid court judgement with such degree of impunity.

Those who witnessed the scenario and those who are aware of the development from outset while speaking to TheAdvocate expressed concern on how Mr Arole-led officials suspiciously acted on the matter, saying that the manner speaks volumes about the integrity of the officials a far as the issue of the land is concerned.

Speaking to our correspondent, a notable resident of the area who craved ananomity said he was seriously amazed when he learnt that the construction workers had been nabbed and arraigned for land grabbing

“I was seriously taken aback when I learnt that the innocent boys who were working to earn their daily bread have been accused of land grabbing and have been arraigned at a mobile court. I was not at around when the incident occurred. I did not believe it until I read it on Punch newspaper myself. I am highly shocked because I know about six of the arrested workers personally. I had seen them working on two other sites before I saw them in this very site in Ogudu. In fact, two of them had even worked on site of a friend of mine in Ikeja. So, I greatly suspect foul play in this matter. I call on appropriate authorities as a matter of urgency to investigate Mr Arole and other officials because this is highly suspicious.” he lamented.

Another resident of the area who identified himself as Diran Olowu, while speaking also said that he was startled when he learnt that the task force men had arraigned the construction workers as land grabbers.

“I was greatly amazed because some of the arrested boys are well known construction workers on sites. The activity of the task force men on this matter should be subjected to intensive scrutiny because, I am also aware that there is a valid court order permitting construction work on the site. Is task force not aware of the court order before carrying out this ridiculous operation? Did they carry out any investigation at all? because official procedure demands that thorough investigation must be carried out before any security outfit carries out any operation against citizens.

“Without any shadow of doubt, it is crystal clear to all of us that the task force really goofed on this matter, and this exposes series of allegations on violation of human right that people have been making against then,” Olowu said.

It was also gathered that counsel to the plaintiff, Barrister Ayorinde (SAN) had written a letter to the Lagos Attorney General, AG in which the Chairman, Lagos Special Task Force on Land Grabbers was copied. The letter reminded the AG of the court order delivered by Hon Justice M.O Emeya of the Lagos High Court which recognises and permits construction workers to be working on the site. The letter also states that the people that were arrested on site were legitimate and well known construction labourers who have nothing to do with land grabbing they were accused of by the Task Force.

When our correspondent contacted the leader of the operation, Mr. Arole Owolabi, he quickly gave the phone to one Mrs Bukola Bakare who identified herself as the Public Relations Officer of Task Force on Land Grabbing. Mrs Bakare defended the actions of the force, saying that they had written three letters to the people claiming ownership of the land; and also, three inscriptions on the fence of the site, but the people did not show up.

When asked if they are aware that there is a valid court order from Lagos State High Court, permitting construction work on the site before they stormed the site and arrested people on the site, she said they were not aware.

In her words: “There is no how we will be aware of any court order when the people involved did not show up when we invited them.

“As regards the people arrested on site, when we get to any land mired in land tussle or land grabbing, we arrest all the people on site, that has been our norm,” she added.

The official however admitted that they had received the letter written by Barrister Ayorinde (SAN). She said they received it on Thursday evening, adding that they would act on it at the appropriate time.

Another mind-blowing allegation that played out in this scenario is the issue of credibility of the supposed complainant. Some stakeholders who spoke to our correspondent stated that the name of the person claiming the complainant is not the one on the Certificate of Occupancy, C of O.

One major stakeholder who also doesn’t want his name to be mentioned for security purpose cast aspersion on the task force due to the way they went about the whole issue, adding that they may be dancing to the tune of a particular element.

Speaking, he said: This is the most ridiculous operation I have ever seen from a security outfit. There is principle of investigation before making arrest and prosecuting the suspects. So, it is very bizarre to hear that a well known organization like Lagos Task Force was not aware of a court order on a land in an eyebrow area like Ogudu GRA. That’s why I don’t believe them. After arresting the “land grabbers’ they saw on site, did they embark on any investigation about them as the principle demands? Why did they arraign them hurriedly? That’s why the role played by the Task Force on this matter must be investigated, we won’t allow it to be swept under the carpet.”

The activities of Lagos State Task Force over the years have attracted horde of criticisms to the extent that the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) in May this year threatened to embark on mass action against the Lagos State Government over the alleged brutality and illegal activities of the force.

Speaking through the group, the coordinator, Comrade Titilayo Odubanjo at a press conference in Lagos said there is urgent need for Lagos Sate Government to regulate and check the excesses of the taskforce.

She said: We have been receiving petitions upon petitions on the activities of the Lagos State Government taskforce from members of the public.

“We are interested in furthering the course of rule of law in Lagos which the government has vowed to uphold and it is in pursuant to this that we call this conference to look into the activities of Lagos State taskforce which similarly amount to abuse of office and violation of the hallowed principles of rule of law”.

http://www.theadvocate.ng/19-persons-arrested-as-alleged-land-grabbers-deny-story-want-coordinator-sacked/

Sorry to interrupt your scrolling, look at your stomach. Are you proud of it? Continue eating like a thief.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by jericco1(m): 7:37am On Nov 16, 2019
Nigeria has the worst policing system known to mankind

2 Likes

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by 007sledge: 7:37am On Nov 16, 2019
N/p fireboy - Jealous
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Canemene: 7:40am On Nov 16, 2019
Okay
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Pavore9: 7:41am On Nov 16, 2019
When touts are given positions to enforce.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by kingdavid09: 7:44am On Nov 16, 2019
Respect for the rule of law is the only guarantee against anarchy and rule by force.It amazes me that most Nigerians are not concerned when court orders are disobeyed.We must all resist disobedience of court orders if we want economic and every form of development in this country.

2 Likes

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by kulikuli45: 7:48am On Nov 16, 2019
Hehehe
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by mrwonlasewonie: 7:59am On Nov 16, 2019
Smh
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 16, 2019
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 16, 2019
Nigeria don finish
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by lite15(m): 9:12am On Nov 16, 2019
ajibola1979:

Who want to waste time to read this?
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by SocialJustice: 9:47am On Nov 16, 2019
BUSHHUNTER:
Believe me they are land grabbers but someone has made a call.
How do you know? Did you even read the story?
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by sw: 10:12am On Nov 16, 2019
I can bet that one oga in one of the ministry in Alausa is interested in that land and want to use the taskforce to illegally disperse the rightfully owner of the land. That's there modul operandi. This act is common around Lekki, Ajah and sangotedo axis. They illegally use their office and position to take over peoples land. May God save us from on the opressors.

2 Likes

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 16, 2019
I thought they said its only Igbos that fight for land?

Igbos don suffer for this country. No stereotype wey dem never give us.

2 Igbos quarrel, news everywhere... Igbo don't have one mind. But Northern people dey carry ak47 gun down a whole community, yet they love each other. People get kidnapped and mutilated for illusional financial gains in the west, but they love themselves.

Igbo politicians disagree among themselves,,, articles everywhere.. Igbo don't have one mind. But Yoruba politicians are sponsoring articles against Tinubu, they love themselves . Abiola was betrayed by people who made him declare a parallel government, even going as far as working with the same government that incarcerated him, ,,, yet they love themselves. Ibrahim babangida murdered many northerners who he feared will want to topple him, yet northerners love themselves.

Make we dey deceive ourselves for this country.... Seeing ghosts where there are none.

1 Like

Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by aspiring44: 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2019
verygudbadguy:
Audio land grabbers.

They better release those guys sharply. Like say them no fit differentiate thugs from legitimate hustlers

The methodolgy use by taskfore or other security agencies is so wrong

The sequence of action should have been

Investigate , arrest and detain but here we are

They will first arrest , investigate and detain.

Very very arbitrary.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by delishpot: 4:04pm On Nov 16, 2019
Forward it to Bubu. He promised to deal with corruption.
Re: 19 Men Arrested As Land Grabbers Deny Story, Say They Are Construction Workers by Legendguru: 4:40pm On Nov 16, 2019
Hmmmm

(1) (Reply)

OUR RENOVATION Diary-platinum Row (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / Wood Work For Aluminium Parapet Get Us Connected / Photos: Bayelsa State Demolishes Illegal Structures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.