Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,899 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector (1628 Views)

A Sheikh Had His Rolls Royce Cullinan Delivered Even Before It Was Unveiled / Olu Okeowo N2 Billion Garage: 6 Rolls Royce, 4 Phantoms, 2 Ghosts, 1 Bentley / Man Matches His Rolls Royce To His Turban & Dressing In London (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Buharisef(m): 1:36pm On Nov 18, 2019
The world’s most famous car brand Rolls-Royce is also associated with Rajasthan. A famous buyer of this car was the Maharaja of Alwar.

As the story goes, in 1920, the Maharaja of Alwar, a fabulously wealthy ruler hose name was Jai Singh Prabhakar, visited London, and one day decided to walk around the city “incognito,” wearing ordinary English clothes.

Passing by a Rolls Royce showroom, Jai Singh decided to go inside. He asked the staff about the specifications of the Rolls Royce cars and their prices. However, the salesmen just saw a man with the face of an Indian. Ignoring his request for a test drive, the staff went so far as to rudely show the Maharaja out the door.

This treatment naturally made him furious. The Maharaja got back to his hotel and asked for an official visit of the Indian king to the Rolls Royce showroom to be arranged.
When he appeared in his formal outfit, dressed in sparkling clothes and jewelry, the Maharaja was welcomed with a red carpet and employees standing on both sides of it paying their respects to the king.

Jai Singh spent more than two hours in the showroom, trying all the six models exhibited. In the end, he purchased all of the cars in the showroom. And he paid for them all right away, including the cash for the costs of delivery.

When he returned to India, Jai Singh Prabhakar gave an order to the Municipality in Alwar to use the cars for collecting garbage. So, there were six brand-new Rolls Royce models sweeping the streets of Alwar, and carrying the garbage away.

Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Ofemmanu1: 1:37pm On Nov 18, 2019
Pics or...
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Buharisef(m): 1:37pm On Nov 18, 2019
Rolls Royce, a brand in use since 1906 and the number-one car manufacturer in the world in the 1920s, was humiliated and upset about the Maharaja’s treatment of its cars. Apparently, the reputation of the company suffered because of this event in Alwar. “Oh, the same car used in India for carrying garbage” became a sentence associated with Rolls Royce.
The story continues that the King received a telegram with apologies from Rolls Royce for the way the employees behaved towards him. The car executives pleaded for him to stop using the vehicles for transporting garbage and also sent him a gift of another six cars. Satisfied that a lesson had been learned, Jai Singh granted their request.

Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Buharisef(m): 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2019
Ofemmanu1:
Pics or...
Calm down
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by sweetonugbu: 1:44pm On Nov 18, 2019
Good for them, time to play prank on Lamborghini
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by nifemi25(m): 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2019
Simply power of money...
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by judgementyard(m): 2:50pm On Nov 18, 2019
That was exactly what I did , although mine was a Lamborghini grin
I bought 7 and they are still been used to sweep my neighborhood at ajegunle, though I don't stay there again grin
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Ofemmanu1: 3:46pm On Nov 19, 2019
judgementyard:
That was exactly what I did , although mine was a Lamborghini grin
I bought 7 and they are still been used to sweep my neighborhood at ajegunle, though I don't stay there again grin

Haha!

Wetin happen?!
Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by Kingmathers(m): 4:11pm On Nov 19, 2019
Smart!!! A Nigerian politician woulda been like "do you know who I am!!!"...
Sha, a Nigerian politician wouldn't have even gone dressed simply...
What do I know sef...

Re: Meet Maharaja Of Alwar, Who Turned His Rolls Royce Into Garbage Collector by judgementyard(m): 4:37pm On Nov 19, 2019
Ofemmanu1:

Haha!

Wetin happen?!
Boys no wan make I rest na em I take off grin

(1) (Reply)

Car Key Gets Stuck In The Ignition / Toyota Avensis 2003 / Highlander Engine Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.