Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,857 members, 7,956,235 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:16 AM

Gender Cheating In AWC: Equatorial Guinea Denies Nigeria's Allegations - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gender Cheating In AWC: Equatorial Guinea Denies Nigeria's Allegations (3754 Views)

Who Was Nigeria's Best Player At The AWC (Namibia 2014)? / AWC 2012 Semi-Final: Nigeria Vs South Africa (0 - 1) On Wed November-7-2012 / AWC 2012: Nigeria Vs Cameroun (2 - 1) On Monday October-29 -2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gender Cheating In AWC: Equatorial Guinea Denies Nigeria's Allegations by semid4lyfe(m): 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9213187.stm

Equatorial Guinea reject gender cheating claims

Equatorial Guinea striker Genoveva Anonma has rejected claims that they fielded male players in this month's African Women's Championship in South Africa.

The Germany-based player was part of the team that helped their country to reach two successive finals of the continental tournament.

The 21-year-old is among three players in the squad accused of being men but insists she is female.

"I first heard these accusations back in 2006 and 2008," said Anonma, who plays for USV Jena in the women's Bundesliga.

"I have already been (gender) tested, which I find offensive.

"These accusations come because I am fast and strong, but I know that I am definitely a woman!"

Anonma's club president at Jena, Marcus Etzel, backed the player.

"It's completely absurd. Of course Genoveva is a woman and we are very happy she plays for us," Etzel said.

Anonma was responding to accusations that her team fielded male players in last week's all-Africa final, when Nigeria beat defending champions Equatorial Guinea 4-2.

Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea have both qualified for the women's World Cup next year in Germany, from June 26 to July 17, but the Nigerians have accused their opponents of fielding "at least two men".

Three players are under suspicion are sisters Salimata Simpore, 23, who scored in the final, and Biliguisa Simpore, 25, as well as Anonma.

Nigeria, Ghana and South African have all complained about the issue.

"Just as they did in 2008, Equatorial Guinea played with at least two men," said Nigeria coach Eucharia Uche.

"The African union (CAF) must act immediately. If everything blows up next year in Germany, this could be terribly embarrassing for Africa."

Re: Gender Cheating In AWC: Equatorial Guinea Denies Nigeria's Allegations by semid4lyfe(m): 5:00pm On Nov 22, 2010
I never doubted her gender but she only spoke for herself and I believe her cos she plays in the German League with other females and her gender was also a source of controversy there until she was gender tested and the matter was settled. The first pics is of her with team mate and Germany U-20 player Sylvia Arnold.

[img]http://www.fansoccer.de/ersteliga/09spielberichte/essenjena/kr-sylvia-arnold-genoveva-anonma.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.fansoccer.de/ersteliga/10spielberichte/fcrjena/km-anonma-knaak.jpg[/img]

But no where in this piece did she come out to say categorically that Salimata Simpore and Bilguisa Simpore are women cos she knows they're not. Hell, they're not even Equatorial Guineans but Ivorians.  Salimata Simpore was even said to have played for Cote d'voire in the AWC qualifiers.

CAF had better gender test Salimata Simpore and Bilguisa Simpore cos I doubt they're qualified to play at the Women World Cup going by FIFA's definition of a woman as "someone who menstruates".

Those two (Salimata and Bilguisa) are a disaster waiting to happen. Make dem nor go disgrace Africa for World Cup o undecided
Re: Gender Cheating In AWC: Equatorial Guinea Denies Nigeria's Allegations by usbcable(m): 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
no mind caf.they have no decency.Adamu's case is a good example.
All they are good at is the ostrich style.

(1) (Reply)

Why Enyeama Was Excluded - Eagles Spokesman / Ipob Unveiled Biafra Football Club, Ask For Friendly Match With Nigeria / 1.5 Odds Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.