Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. (39385 Views)

Going Back To School At Age 34 / Intent On Going Back To My Previous Job / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

thanks. I will get other jobs by Gods grace.

I think u might have been seeing d tell tale signs BT u neglected them.

No too worry sha, better jobs dey come... Its one of those things.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Lordtrillion(m): 7:59pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

I did my best to make up for my defects. Being a nursery and primary school i noticed they needed help with their artworks and since I am good at drawing, anytime there was no work on my table i did a lot of artwork for events or which the school needed for decor. They appreciated it so much and gave me a lot to do which unbelievably the parents were told their kids did it all.

Sorry about your experience,hopefully you've learned from it.
If you're very good and creative as you've claimed in arts, then I might have a remote job for you. You can contact me on Whatsapp via d contact on my signature.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by samdede(m): 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2019
Some private business owners are like that. They want you to work for free.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by josielewa(m): 8:02pm On Nov 27, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
God will help you ,some jobs are just time wasting.a job that you can't have peace of mind is no job..A job where you earn 80k but spend half on transportation and feeding is no job..most people are currently doing jobs just to avoid boredom.I pray we all get our desired job.You will do a job where you can even have spare 20k to give ur family monthly?..it is well
Let's pray for better days...quitting the job this year sef. Told the boss am leaving and he was like preaching. I told him blankly that he can't put his son on my salary and baba went mute..���

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by manlawal(m): 8:03pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

Yes. I may even be out of the country by next year. Find my feet while staying with relatives, start studying there. If my family changes the plan of sending me there, arrangements have been made for me to start over here. I went to the university of abuja but had serious issues with my result, couldn't be transferred to another uni, so after going to the university for how many years, had to start over.
i graduated there also , the school can frustrate someone like witch

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2019
SocialJustice:
Why do you people expose yourselves to humiliation out of desperation? Abegi, learn your lesson and move on. I know the receptionist salary will not even be more than N35k.

Make up your mind and draw a proper plan of action for your life. One where you preserve your dignity and get paid for job done.

Do you have a job to offer her? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by purples25(f): 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2019
manlawal:
i graduated there also , the school can frustrate someone like witch

honestly, its crazy.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by shamsin6300(m): 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
Having gone 2ru all diz.

I pray Almighty Allah to enrich u with Gud WEALTH

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 27, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

[s]You have no visible talent in your place of work and you also lack the fundamentals of common sense. You place no value on yourself and like a coin, you are being tossed and teased out of position, comfort, and schedules.

Anyone who offers no value receives no respect and anyone who places no worth on self will not be prized.

A fine artist with creative imaginations and the ability to draw but lacks the power to draw herself out of her own shadows.

With the eyes of a goddess and a nose chiseled into fine lines, you have both the incredible power of looks and creativity. Dont let anyone treat you like trash.

Richdad[/s]

Sometimes, a little encouragement is what someone needs to reach her peak in life.

You can test run your bogus grammar on some other topics on Nairaland sir.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

honestly, its crazy.
i used to b an artist before, maybe with you working beside me I could get inspiration to rediscover my talents.

@ topic just sleep over the issue and permanently delete them from your memory then forge ahead.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Nnamebuka: 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2019
I'm impressed by the maturity of commenters here. The outpouring of empathy is noteworthy.

Always remember that we are humans first before gender, tribe, religion etc.

Bravo all!

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Charleshafo(m): 8:25pm On Nov 27, 2019
I want to encourage you for the courage to speak out.

Basically, most Nigerians employers are creating jobs not to help the employee but to enrich themselves only. Right from the start you are not supposed to inform her that you will be leaving soon.

2. Depression is one of the major factors for forgetting things easily, most especially at work place. I can remembered all I went through when I was suspended for 2 years in school. You need to be open for help, move with good friend and truthful spiritual people that can help you. I pray God will help you to overcome it.

3. Helping the children to do art is not something bad. They don't appreciate you today, doesn't mean people outside will not appreciate. Think of how to make money out of your talent and learn to improve. You are too big to be irrelevant. You are always on point.

If the school still need art service, they will call you and it will be strictly on business

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by purples25(f): 8:27pm On Nov 27, 2019
VeeVeeMyLuv:
i used to b an artist before, maybe with you working beside me I could get inspiration to rediscover my talents.

@ topic just sleep over the issue and permanently delete them from your memory then forge ahead.

thanks, you nairalanders have helped me calm down a bit.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by leighcon(m): 8:30pm On Nov 27, 2019
Purples25, I have about 14 years od corporate experience and I can tell you for free that your issue is ego, something you need to work on. It is the sole reason you were not able to succeed as a receptionist - it is the most basic of all jobs.

There was no humiliation in the event you narrated, rather, they are the ones that will be too ashamed to ask for your services in future.

Keep working on yourself, every human being is a work in progress. If you must succeed, you have to learn how to overlook embarrassments that come along. Take a cue from bus conductors, they get insulted by even those who cannot afford to pay, yet, they carry on. A number of them become owners of fleet of vehicles later in life.

Dangote started life selling Sugar, Salt etc with no label of his own. Yes, he was from a privileged background and started big, but hey gaddem it, dude was selling Sugar, Salt, groundnut oil, name it. Today, he is a brand.
Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by DrSleekQas(m): 8:34pm On Nov 27, 2019
Never go back to your vomit

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by ireke(m): 8:37pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:
Fast forward till today, i was given another deal on Monday, i was told to come on Wednesday to do the job.That same Monday, i was told by some teachers there that there wasn't supposed to be any negotiation that i should be doing those things for free,that we are family,im not a real artist. Still, i was expected to come today and do the art stuff.I still came since the deal was still on and the boss hadn't actually said i wasn't recieving payment today.

I went there and guess what, the proprietress was with those two teachers that said those things to me on monday. She asked me why i came to visit, as if there was no deal today. They all just kept quiet and ignored me. I gathered courage and asked " how about the art job and the deal i was supposed to be paid for? " The proprietress just said there was nothing. They could have called me to tell me but no, it was sweeter to have me arrive, look like a beggar, ignore me and then tell me bye in high snobbish voices as i was leaving. Why did they humiliate me?

I'm happy you know your lapses and you said you're working on getting better. You also seem to write well. Kudos.

Can we just change the narrative of the last visit. What happens if you give them parting gift - artwork they expected you to beg to be paid for?

If you want, I'll pay for the artwork and you just give it to them as your parting gift. That way, you're able to have a different memory of your last time there as you enjoy the confusion on their faces when you tell them you're giving them something instead of begging for something. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by purples25(f): 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2019
leighcon:
Purples25, I have about 14 years od corporate experience and I can tell you for free that your issue is ego, something you need to work on. It is the sole reason you were not able to succeed as a receptionist - it is the most basic of all jobs.
There was no humiliation in the event you narrated, rather, they are the ones that will be too ashamed to ask for your services in future.
Keep working on yourself, every human being is a work in progress. If you must succeed, you have to learn how to overlook embarrassments that come along. Take a cue from bus conductors, they get insulted by even those who cannot afford to pay, yet, they carry on. A number of them become owners of fleet of vehicles later in life.
Dangote started life selling Sugar, Salt etc with no label of his own. Yes, he was from a privileged background and started big, but hey gaddem it, dude was selling Sugar, Salt, name it. Today, he is a brand.

I know i have issues. Working on them. Thanks.
Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Originalsly: 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

yes

Ok..... it wasn't clear if she or the other staff told you to return on Wednesday.
Looking back.... you shouldn't be shocked. She has no integrity period. You knew you were incompetent for the receptionist job.... you pointed out your failures and inability to improve.... she had to know that too... but she kept you. Why wouldn't her teachers also be incompetent? On artwork...if she can lie to the parents about the artwork.... what wouldn't she lie about?..why wouldnt she hire staff that are also liars?...and why would you be surprised that she lied to you on Monday?...and her staff joined in? Looking back.... you should be celebrating she kicked you out.... or only Heaven knows the lie that was coming your way to pit you in misery. See it as a blessing in disguise.... a lesson on integrity... a lesson to be on the lookout for red flags.... a lesson along life's way.
On schooling. Degree is good.... but are you cut out for academics? What is your talent?...your strength?...what are you quick to learn?...certainly not deskwork. You write pretty decent.... had school experience.... and can draw pretty well...not according to you... but the staff that recognized and exploited your talent. Why not try children's books?....Once upon a time in Abuja, there was this greedy lady who owned a school. She looked like a lion and even had brown teeth. They called her Lion, not because she resembled a lion but because she was a liar....or you think they can only come from England? This your experience can form book. Draw...photocopy... reduce... add print... reduce... staple/bind.... low budget book complete.... pitch to schools...follow your talent.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by EagleSquare1(m): 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2019
I have worked in some few schools and I believe the sweetest memories of your time in the school should be that which you spent with the little kids of the Nursery and Primary classes, and not that of the proprietress and her 2 teachers.

purples25:
Fast forward till today, i was given another deal on Monday, i was told to come on Wednesday to do the job.That same Monday, i was told by some teachers there that there wasn't supposed to be any negotiation that i should be doing those things for free,that we are family,im not a real artist. Still, i was expected to come today and do the art stuff.I still came since the deal was still on and the boss hadn't actually said i wasn't recieving payment today.

I went there and guess what, the proprietress was with those two teachers that said those things to me on monday. She asked me why i came to visit, as if there was no deal today. They all just kept quiet and ignored me. I gathered courage and asked " how about the art job and the deal i was supposed to be paid for? " The proprietress just said there was nothing. They could have called me to tell me but no, it was sweeter to have me arrive, look like a beggar, ignore me and then tell me bye in high snobbish voices as i was leaving. Why did they humiliate me?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Blackgirllagos: 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2019
#MYLAGOSEXPERIENCE (A must read)

I’ve come to a realization that as Nigerians, we blame the government for treating us badly yet, we do no even treat ourselves any better.

As early as 7am, I was already at Orile-Agege General Hospital (Oke-Odo), I quickly joined a sitting queue where I was redirected to Revenue to make payments for card, before I could qualify for the queue.

(At Revenue Section ) Good morning sir (In Yoruba), I greeted the man in sight from the window access. He ignored the greeting and asked, “What do you want” (In English), so I quickly switched my language. I told him my mission. “What’s your name, your age”, he inquired and I answered.

He issued a bill and I stretched my right hand to collect the card and he stretched his left to give. Thank God for Pastor Mike, (You won’t understand anyway), I also switched to my left, “this man is an idiot”, I said to myself, as I walked away. While I checked the name of the issuing officer on the bill, it stunned me to discover that the idiot is a Yoruba man, bearing OJO.

Getting back to the queue to make payment and get a card, the man there was ceaselessly snapping, dishing out unnecessary instructions with bitterness. I ignored all that, with a focus to get my card and move to the next phase. On my turn, I presented the bill and the fee. Issuing another receipt with the card, he presented it with a left hand and I quickly did the same as I concluded that “these people are condemned to left hand.”

At the third stage, I joined a number of people under the canopy. Since it was my first time, I asked them the next thing to do. I was told to fill a particular form and put it in my file. After complying I went straight to submit. As the lady stretched her left hand, she confirmed my earlier conclusion and I quickly switched again.

I was ordered back to my sit, waiting for another call. From the same cubicle, after waiting for about 40minutes, another voice that I think had perused my details called my name. On getting there, she greeted nicely in my dialect, I responded the way I could. She asked after my family and told me she married from my state, so I have to take care of her breakfast (then I understood the warm reception.)

She asked if I had a referral letter, I responded in denial. “No problem”, she said. The other lady (The one who confirmed my conclusion) joined the conversation. “So she’s from that state, and she doesn’t understand the language,” she said. “I do” was my response.

She retained my file; I was to go with a little card, which she used her left hand to put on the table where I could pick it. I was through with her in few minutes, but not without parting with some cash (which I also dropped on the same spot on the table) she smiled as I walked away.

About 20 minutes later, a lady emerged with our files; she called our names and directed us to an open hall, where we had to take another queue with a lot of patience, before we could be attended to by the doctors who weren’t on seat at about 9am. But what choice did we have, we had to wait.

At last, the doctors came and after waiting for another two hours, one of the doctors attended to me and I was again referred to another department where I was subjected to unnecessary rigour due to poor administrative style. “Never again will I come to this place”, I promised myself. After another two hours, I was already on my way out but with an appointment for another week. The experience was hell.

I took a public transport, and I disappeared. While I alighted, trying to connect with another bus, I saw something I needed, so I stopped in front of the Yoruba woman. I asked in Yoruba how much she sells her product and she just mentioned the price and asked in English how many I wanted. “What is wrong with all these Yoruba people, even a trader?” I rhetorically queried myself.

Read more: http:///s7ea58b3191127en_ng

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Wiifesnatcher(m): 8:46pm On Nov 27, 2019
sorry about that weird experience, bigger things await you. continue keeping your head straight up, don't let that weigh you down
Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by EagleSquare1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 27, 2019
Quite inspiring!
Very good comments.

Originalsly:

Ok..... it wasn't clear if she or the other staff told you to return on Wednesday.
Looking back.... you shouldn't be shocked. She has no integrity period. You knew you were incompetent for the receptionist job.... you pointed out your failures and inability to improve.... she had to know that too... but she kept you. Why wouldn't her teachers also be incompetent? On artwork...if she can lie to the parents about the artwork.... what wouldn't she lie about?..why wouldnt she hire staff that are also liars?...and why would you be surprised that she lied to you on Monday?...and her staff joined in? Looking back.... you should be celebrating she kicked you out.... or only Heaven knows the lie that was coming your way to pit you in misery. See it as a blessing in disguise.... a lesson on integrity... a lesson to be on the lookout for red flags.... a lesson along life's way.
On schooling. Degree is good.... but are you cut out for academics? What is your talent?...your strength?...what are you quick to learn?...certainly not deskwork. You write pretty decent.... had school experience.... and can draw pretty well...not according to you... but the staff that recognized and exploited your talent. Why not try children's books?....Once upon a time in Abuja, there was this greedy lady who owned a school. She looked like a lion and even had brown teeth. They called her Lion, not because she resembled a lion but because she was a liar....or you think they can only come from England? This your experience can form book. Draw...photocopy... reduce... add print... reduce... staple/bind.... low budget book complete.... pitch to schools...follow your talent.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Timsilver(m): 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2019
What I see is someone who didn't fit into their box. You had something they envied It's not just art. They felt threatened by your prospect and aspiration. Keep your future plans to yourself.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by purples25(f): 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2019
ireke:

I'm happy you know your lapses and you said you're working on getting better. You also seem to write well. Kudos.

Can we just change the narrative of the last visit. What happens if you give them parting gift - artwork they expected you to beg to be paid for?

If you want, I'll pay for the artwork and you just give it to them as your parting gift. That way, you're able to have a different memory of your last time there as you enjoy the confusion on their faces when you tell them you're giving them something instead of begging for something. What do you think?

I have really tried to do a lot of art to make them happy......especially with this your idea in mind. But things still ended like this. I am wary now, and i'm tired. It is time to let go. I cant force them. I believe the aim of ending on a bad note has worked out. I loved them but i never succeeded in being at peace with them. I have to let them be. God bless 'em.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by vincentjk(m): 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2019
You were humiliated. Sorry dear

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by yusluvad(m): 8:49pm On Nov 27, 2019
It is well dear. Keep believing...

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by purples25(f): 8:58pm On Nov 27, 2019
EagleSquare1:
I have worked in some few schools and I believe the sweetest memories of your time in the school should be that which you spent with the little kids of the Nursery and Primary classes, and not that of the proprietress and her 2 teachers.

Yeah the kids swarmed on me the first day i came back, they were happy to see me, they shouted my name, hugged me, all of them, telling me how old they are now etc. Some even saw me today and said ' are you going now? '. Kids make us happy abeg, little forming. I was so happy that day that they all got up when they saw me. So happy.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by Candoit: 9:00pm On Nov 27, 2019
Please don't be too hard on yourself.
It's all part of life's experiences. Sometimes, life would be boring without happenings around us.

Now, u know. Don't go back to ur previous place of work especially when u know u were not appreciated. Even if u were, keep the stakes high if it's worth returning to.

It happened to me too. I was once fired from my work place and called to return a month after. This time, I set the rules and it's exactly a year now after the incident.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by farady(m): 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2019
You seem like a nice person with a good heart but easily get discourage when hit by a difficult situation. In life there will always be the pluses and minuses. We need both to become
progressive and toughened.

Don't judge all situations with only one set of parameters.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by lovethchioma(f): 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2019
Brightgem:
Alaye seriously! How did you come by all these conclusions, did you read that post well or you are the said boss undercover.

So what is sincerity of purpose to you, than all that's said here.
He is one of those people who jump into commenting on a post that they haven't fully understood.

I must comment by force.. na dem be that.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Going Back To My Former Workplace. by PqsMike: 9:21pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

Yeah the kids swarmed on me the first day i came back, they were happy to see me, they shouted my name, hugged me, all of them, telling me how old they are now etc. Some even saw me today and said ' are you going now? '. Kids make us happy abeg, little forming. I was so happy that day that they all got up when they saw me. So happy.

U see.....from your write up...it's obvious u have a very fragile heart, you're simple natured..... You're naive and people often take advantage of you...

What you need is a mentor... A bigger figure... someone that's ready to hold ur hand and drag u up...u need a big brother .....u need a hug

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Queen Of England Honours Nasir Yammama, CEO Verdant Agri-Tech (Pics) / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Nigerian Police Uniform In 1948

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.