Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,229 members, 7,829,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling (28975 Views)

Allen Onyema And Air Peace Should Learn Excellence From The Bull - Reno Omokri / Nigerian Airlines And The Controversies Over Ownership And Source Capital / List Of All Nigerian Airlines And Airline Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by chibu4u2(m): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2019
pweetychyka:

Cabin pressure most times causes loss of water in the body. That's why it's advised to try as much as possible to stay hydrated while onboard!

Thanks

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by gohomeNG: 9:51pm On Nov 28, 2019
EliteStriker:
Nice one

13 Plots of Land for Sale At Monastery Road, Near Novare Mall Sangotedo. 6m per plot.

Post this property on https://www.gohome.ng/ for chances of seeing a buyer. cool

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Sirwallace(m): 10:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
Imagine a Giant Tank of Hard Steel that Float in the Sky
Where was our ancestors when white people where coming up with this mind blowing inventions..
Even This internet was created by white man
Damnnn..

#WhitePeopleAreGODS

Airplanes components are majorly made up of aluminium and duralumin ( an aluminium alloy) because of their light weight for thrusting upward and not a heavy steel like you said.

Truth be told, those guys are ingenious and it will take another lifetime for africans to meet up with their level of advancement.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Sirwallace(m): 10:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
LordAzubuike:
Nice information.. only constant air travellers like us will understand.. those that travel through God is good or ezenwata might not understand what is going on.

You are mad you know

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by fsgbeats: 11:03pm On Nov 28, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
Where was our ancestors when white people where coming up with this mind blowing inventions..
Damnnn..

#WhitePeopleAreGODS
rubbish..na una dey spoil this country!!
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by masterP042(m): 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
Damnnn..

#WhitePeopleAreGODS
Forget your ancestors. The white are still building planes and jets, but what are u doing now? Cos your grand kids will still ask u the same question, when were you when they were developing

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Maziyk: 11:40pm On Nov 28, 2019
I wonder how lazy zoo youths can get this information, is this not a thrashed
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by TruthSpeaker: 1:21am On Nov 29, 2019
Your number 5 & 6 are questionable at least by me. I have been flying for 19 years both locally and internationally. I have traveled with Chanchangi Airlines (which I guess is no more in existence), British Airways, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Copa Airlines, TACA Airlines (does not exist any more), Cubana de Aviacion, Turkish Airlines, American Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Air Peace, Dana Air and Arik Air.
Issue with number 5 is that how can 1.5 liters of water in the body be lost in just 3 hours? Which means in the last 12 hours non-stop fight I did twice this month I lost 6 kG in each trip? This is either an exaggeration or a childish lie.
During takeoff and landing, opening the window of the craft is often demanded by flight attendants. In that case, light factor becomes kinda less important during takeoff and landing. On the other hand, during night flights switching off the light will have little effect in terms of adjusting the eyes to lower light level.
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Ryocaj(m): 1:33am On Nov 29, 2019
Always Crosscheck whatever u want to post before posting.. OP num 15 ain't true..

It is often claimed that Qantas has never had an aircraft crash. While it is true that the company has neither lost a jet airliner nor had any jet fatalities, it had eight fatal accidents and an aircraft shot down between 1927 and 1945, with the loss of 63 people. Half of these accidents and the shoot-down occurred during World War II, when the Qantas aircraft were operating on behalf of Allied military forces. Post-war, it lost another four aircraft (one was owned by BOAC and operated by Qantas in a pooling arrangement) with a total of 21 people killed. The last fatal accidents suffered by Qantas were in 1951, with three fatal crashes in five months. [212][213] Qantas' safety record allows the airline to be officially known as the world's safest airline for seven years in a row from 2012 until 2019 (current). [214]
Since the end of World War II, the following accidents and incidents have occurred:
On 23 March 1946, an Avro Lancastrian registered G-AGLX disappeared while flying over the Indian Ocean. The BOAC-owned aircraft was being operated by Qantas on the Karachi—Sydney part of the two airlines' joint service from London to Sydney. It disappeared with seven passengers and crew on board between Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands , approximately three hours before it was due to arrive at the Cocos islands. [215]
On 7 April 1949, an Avro Lancastrian registered VH-EAS swung on landing at Dubbo, New South Wales during a training flight, causing the gear to collapse. The aircraft was destroyed by fire, but the crew evacuated safely. [216]
On 16 July 1951, a de Havilland Australia DHA-3 Drover registered VH-EBQ crashed off the coast of New Guinea (in the Huon Gulf near the mouth of the Markham River) after the centre engine's propeller failed. The pilot and the six passengers on board were killed. [217]
On 21 September 1951, a de Havilland DH.84 Dragon registered VH-AXL, crashed in mountainous country southeast of Arona in the
central highlands of New Guinea, no passengers were on board, the pilot was killed. [218]
On 13 December 1951, a de Havilland DH.84 Dragon registered VH-URV crashed in mountainous country near Mount Hagen , central highlands of New Guinea. The pilot and the two passengers were killed. To date, this was the last fatal accident suffered by Qantas. [219]
On 24 August 1960, a Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation registered VH-EAC crashed on take-off at Mauritius en route to the Cocos Islands , Australia. The take-off was aborted following an engine failure, the aircraft ran off the runway, and was destroyed by fire. There were no fatalities. [220]
On 23 September 1999, Qantas Flight 1 , a Boeing 747-400 registered VH-OJH, overran the runway while landing at Bangkok , Thailand, during a heavy thunderstorm. The aircraft came to a stop on a golf course, but without fatalities. The
Australian Transport Safety Bureau criticised numerous inadequacies in Qantas' operational and training processes. [221]
On 25 July 2008, Qantas Flight 30 , a Boeing 747-400 registered VH-OJK, suffered a ruptured fuselage and decompression as a result of an oxygen tank explosion over the South China Sea . En route from Hong Kong International Airport to Melbourne Airport , the aircraft made an emergency landing in the Philippines with no injuries. [222]
On 7 October 2008, an Airbus A330-300 registered VH-QPA, travelling from Singapore Changi Airport to Perth , Western Australia as
Qantas Flight 72 , suffered a rapid loss of altitude in two sudden uncommanded pitch down manoeuvres causing serious injuries while 80 nautical miles (150 km; 92 mi) from Learmonth . The aircraft safely landed in Learmonth, with 14 people requiring transportation by air ambulance to Perth. Another 30 people also required hospital treatment, while an additional 30 people had injuries not requiring hospital treatment. [223] Initial investigations identified an inertial reference system fault in the Number-1 Air Data Inertial Reference Unit as the likely origin of the event. On receiving false indication of a very high angle of attack, the flight control systems commanded a pitch down movement, reaching a maximum of 8.5 degrees pitch down. [224] (7news documentary [225] )
On 4 November 2010, Qantas Flight 32 , an Airbus A380 registered VH-OQA, fitted with four Rolls-Royce Trent 972 engines, suffered an uncontained turbine disc failure of its left inboard engine shortly after taking off from Singapore Changi Airport en route to Sydney. The aircraft returned to Singapore and landed safely, and all 440 passengers and 29 crew on board were uninjured. [226][227][228]

2 Likes

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by RealTrump: 2:47am On Nov 29, 2019
Kingsteve:
21: The leg room in the economy class of the Singapore airline Airbus A380 is almost as spacious as the first class in BA's Boeing.

Source: personal experience

Bros, u can lie o. There is God o. A380 is very comfortable but saying it has more leg room than even air peace business class is a fat lie. Let alone BAs first class.
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by msrk: 3:37am On Nov 29, 2019
Nice one
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by kelly72: 4:17am On Nov 29, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
Damnnn..

#WhitePeopleAreGODS

Your children will ask you same question. So start inventing planes now before it is late

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Freksy(m): 5:21am On Nov 29, 2019
NaijadrivaCars:
Since when the Wright Brothers invented the modern airplane, a lot has changed in the technology, air travel and trends in the Industry.

In this post, Naijadriva would list 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling as follows:

1. All International Airline Pilots speak English.

2. Flights longer than 8 hours require 3 pilots (1 captain and 2 first officers) to rotate flying duties. Flights longer than 12 hours require 4 pilots (1 captain and 3 first officers). They usually fly 3-4 hour shifts.

3. Each airline pilot flying the aircraft, eats a different meal to minimize the risk of all pilots on board being ill.

4. The height requirement for Flight Attendant is for safety reasons, making sure that all flight attendants can reach overhead safety equipment.

5. An air traveler looses approximately 1.5 liters of water in the body during a three-hour flight.

6. The reason why the lights are turned out during takeoff and landing Is for your eyes to adjust to lower levels of light.

7. The World’s largest Airline in terms of Fleet Size is Emirates airline (United Arab Emirates) with 744 aircraft and 121 aircraft on order.

8. The largest passenger plane is the Airbus 380 – nearly 240 feet long, almost 80 feet high, and has a wingspan of more than 260 feet. The double-decker plane has a standard seating capacity of 555 passengers for Emirates airline.

9. The Internet/On-Line check-in was first used by Alaskan Airlines in 1999.

10. The 2nd Largest Airport is Kansai International Airport, Osaka, Japan. Al Maktoum International Airport in Jebel Ali, Dubai, United Arab Emirates is the largest airport in the world.

11. The airport with the longest runway in the world is Qamdo Bangda Airport in the People’s Republic of China with 5.50 kilometers in length.

12. Singapore Airlines spends about $700 million on food every year and $16 million on wine alone. First class passengers consume 20,000 bottles of alcohol every month and Singapore Airlines is the second largest buyer of Dom Perignon champagne in the world.

13. KLM of Netherlands stands for Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij (meaning Royal Dutch Airlines).

14. KLM is the worlds’ oldest airline established in 1919.

15. QANTAS – Australia’s national airline, originally stood for Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service.
QANTAS is the second world’s oldest airline established in 1920.
QANTAS still has the world’s best safety record with no crashes.

16. Virgin Atlantic lists catering as their third biggest expense, after fuel and maintenance.

17. In one year, British Airways passengers consume: 40.5 tons of chicken, 6 tons of caviar, 22 tons of smoked salmon, 557,507 boxes of chocolate and 90 thousand cases (9 liter cases) of sparkling wine.

18. Airbus, an European airplane maker headquartered in France, currently has 45% of the highest share of planes in the skies while USA’s Boeing has 43%. The rest of the market share are owned mainly by Bombardier and Irkut.

19. Airbus A380 is currently the world’s most popular airplane than Boeing’s 737s. The crisis that cost the 737s its crown is the latest generation 737 Max. This model however has been grounded worldwide following Lion Air and Ethiopian airline crashes.

20. The current world’s busiest Airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, USA with total passengers of 107,394,029+, beating its closest rival, Beijing Capital International Airport with Total passengers of 100,983,290+.

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/11/28/20-facts-about-airports-airlines-and-air-travelling/

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by MyExpression(m): 5:34am On Nov 29, 2019
tstx:

When you decide to move to your own domain.. Please give me a call. My fees a re amazingly affordable

Is that the reason you quoted the whole thread?
I.T guru like you....yhu dey fall hand ooo
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Kingsteve(m): 6:22am On Nov 29, 2019
RealTrump:

Bros, u can lie o. There is God o. A380 is very comfortable but saying it has more leg room than even air peace business class is a fat lie. Let alone BAs first class.

One common problem with a few NLders is the lack of comprehension skills.
I wrote...the leg room is 'almost as spacious as'
That doesn't in anyway translate to being more spacious.

Now the other question is...
Have you flown with Singapore Airline Airbus A380, and been on BA's first class before?

If you haven't, then you're really in no position at all to accuse me of lying.
We're talking international airlines here and you're mentioning Airpeace.

Abeg...
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by tstx(m): 8:06am On Nov 29, 2019
MyExpression:

Is that the reason you quoted the whole thread? I.T guru like you....yhu dey fall hand ooo
Sorry.. It skipped my mind cheesy
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Prebeluv(f): 9:22am On Nov 29, 2019
wow! I am impressed,may we all have the experience
Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by RealTrump: 9:50am On Nov 29, 2019
Kingsteve:

One common problem with a few NLders is the lack of comprehension skills.
I wrote...the leg room is 'almost as spacious as'
That doesn't in anyway translate to being more spacious.

Now the other question is...
Have you flown with Singapore Airline Airbus A380, and been on BA's first class before?

If you haven't, then you're really in no position at all to accuse me of lying.
We're talking international airlines here and you're mentioning Airpeace.

Abeg...

How can u even compare economy to first class in the first instance? It is a comparison with malicious intent. If we go by your reasoning, I can also say the legroom in ekene buses is comparable A380's economy.

How can u even talk about legroom when u can lie down in a first class seat? Which legroom is better than lieing down straight on your back while sipping champagne?

I have flown Airbus A380. Qatar airways.

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Kingsteve(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2019
RealTrump:

How can u even compare economy to first class in the first instance? It is a comparison with malicious intent. If we go by your reasoning, I can also say the legroom in ekene buses is comparable A380's economy.

How can u even talk about legroom when u can lie down in a first class seat? Which legroom is better than lieing down straight on your back while sipping champagne?

I have flown Airbus A380. Qatar airways.

You still haven't answered my question.
Have you flown with Singapore A380 and been on BA's Boeing first class?
Flying Qatar Airways A380 may not necessarily be the same as Singapore's...

And please, stop using local airlines and Buses as an analogy to this discourse.
It's an insult to these renowned international airlines.
Stop it!

Listen...
My comment was based on my observation flying both the economy and first class of both airlines.
And I repeat...
If you havent flown with Singapore and BA, you're really not in a position to question my observations.
I have the right to air my opinions.
It isn't really up for debate!

1 Like

Re: 20 Facts About Airports, Airlines And Air Travelling by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:20pm On Nov 29, 2019
God don hear am

Sikay19:
embarassed
I wish to fly in planes someday. Informative read btw

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Adventure Across The Calabar River... With Pictures. / Hit-And-Run Driver Kills A Man In Delta (Photo) / Lagos To Tackle Ketu Traffic Congestion With Construction Of Lay-Bys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.